YesNoOk

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike Romhacking thread (sfiii3n) (Read 74203 times)

Started by Yoshin222, October 30, 2020, 06:16:18 pm
Share this topic:
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike Romhacking thread (sfiii3n)
#1  October 30, 2020, 06:16:18 pm
  • Getting better, still a long way to go
    • UK
---CONTEXT---
A personal dream of mine is to romhack 3S. It's honestly my favourite game full stop, but sadly, info on doing as such is very limited
AT LEAST I THOUGHT IT WAS
After some digging, amongst discussion on the 4rd Strike Discord (Link if interested:  https://discord.gg/hBd9X9s ), it seem's that there's actually a fair bit. After a lot of personal digging as well as trying to translate these sites, i've learned a fair bit about how 3S works, but suffice to say i haven't translated EVERYTHING, and if anybody has any info, i'd love to add it. It'd be awesome if this thread became a little hub of figuring out 3S. Without further ado, here's the stuff i've found. Links below.

---IMPORTANT LINKS BEFORE I BEGIN---
Any referenced bytes were edited in whole files (10,20,30,etc) as opposed to simms using the hex Editor XCOPY
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

PART 1: PRETTY COLORS! - File 50
Palmodding for 3S is actually fairly expansive and simple. Below are some examples, as well as a link to the Palmod Development Discord
PART 2: WORDS, WORDS, WORDS! File - 10, Offset 6000000
A bunch of addresses of interest, glabal 3S stuff, startup text, etc
PART 3: THE ILLUSION OF LIFE File - 10, Offset 6000000/u]
This got me mega hyped. It's info regarding animations, and tidbits on how they work and how to edit them. Alex's ST.HK is used as the example

If anybody finds anything, or has anything to share, i'd genuinely be more than grateful if it was shown here. Once enough is found, documents will be made and this first post will be added to as needed. Hope this proved interesting whatever the case!

CREDITS

Suupabuu - For the unitindex info, as well as answering a ton of querstions, and initially showing me the struct file!
JoshiBro - For sharing the links to the Japanese 3S hacking sites. Massively helpful!
riiya - For the awesome 3S Stage palmods in part 1. Defacto examples of how cool palmodding can be!
Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 10:53:31 pm by Yoshin222
Re: Street Fighter 3: Third Strike Romhacking thread (sfiii3n)
#2  November 01, 2020, 09:40:22 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
Is it possible to change a stage's palette between rounds, like in NG and SI? I would be so incredibly excited for that.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#3  November 01, 2020, 11:04:15 pm
    • UK
Not that i know of
Though theoretically if we figured out the trigger for it, maybe someday. The music changes between rounds so it MGIHT be possible
Suupdabuu found a way to mod in SI stages anyway :p (He made his own program, one he won't release, at least not atm)
#4  November 01, 2020, 11:06:43 pm
    • UK
New stuff, cheers to Suupabuu + TVIndustries! Added to first post under part 1/2
#5  November 02, 2020, 01:12:48 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I'm really impressed by what is possible!
you guys are incredible.
And seeing these SI stage availiable in 3.3 is great!!

Basically you can create some kind of Hyper Street Fighter 3 - like game...
#6  November 02, 2020, 01:43:15 am
    • UK
Maybe, but the idea is far away. I highly urge anyone interested to read the info too, it's great learning how this game works
Little test thing
#7  November 08, 2020, 04:56:27 am
    • UK
Made this mega basic vid on editing animation times for those who are mega green. Added to first post
#8  November 09, 2020, 11:00:28 pm
    • UK
Was mucking around, and learned some stuff
1, the previously noted table for character headers is ammuckup. Will be edited in a bit
2, screwed around with "Enemy" Ctrl", and it seems it's the CPS3 equivalent of a Hitdef

Video Eaxamples

Here are the current Byte theories
#9  November 12, 2020, 06:56:05 pm
  • Wandering....
Wow this is amazing that you can import stages from SI, I wonder if it is also possible to modify

Super Art stock levels like chaging 1 level max to 3 level max?

And also changing the lenght of Super Gauge.

Thanks
Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 06:59:31 pm by The Shakunetsu
#10  November 12, 2020, 10:42:24 pm
    • UK
Entirely possible, but not sure how yet
You're more than free to dig through the dsta/sites to try and figure it out in the meantime
#11  November 16, 2020, 02:28:42 am
    • UK
Appreciate the sentiment but
That's not related. Please avoid sharing irellevant hacks in future
#12  December 20, 2020, 02:10:29 am
Sorry to bump but is this still a thing?

I managed to get Stirling working with the japanese struct file by deleting every instance of the character "ー" in it. However, the values that are displayed in Stirling using the struct file don't match with the ones I saw in some of the tutorials from that japanese site you linked. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or the file is truly pointing to the wrong offsets.

The latest known version of XCOPY is from 2009 (xcopy20090105.zip). I found it hosted in a chinese site called "PPXCLUB" but you need an account to download it and even then I'm not sure if it's still up. I think this version allows you to save the decrypted file as a separate file, unlike the 2007 version that only saves encrypted versions.
#13  December 20, 2020, 10:50:27 pm
    • UK
Of course this is still a thing! I've come across that version, it was shared in the JJBA:HFTF Discord from where i found it
Link to it here
xcopy2009105
https://www.mediafire.com/file/gnnde3uhhajcign/xcopy20090105.zip/file

Main advantage is it decrypts and rencrypts files. Using it, you could muck with the decrypted files in an external program like HxD or something instead of XCOPY 2007s barebones editor

Might be they check the decrypted version? I'll muck with it
Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 10:58:21 pm by Yoshin222
#14  December 21, 2020, 12:47:53 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Sorry to interrupt, but wanted to know if the same way the stages could be rip in normal version, are the same with these hacked ones. I'm sorry if it's a stupid question, just wanted to know. Thanks in advance :)
I swear there was something cool here!!
#15  December 21, 2020, 04:18:34 am
    • UK
No prob at all, should be fine. They're functionally the same game just with some altered values
#16  December 21, 2020, 03:27:14 pm
Thanks for XCOPY 2009! Much better than the other version.

I'm still trying to make the struct file work correctly as it could help a lot. This is what I mean when I say that my values and addresses don't match with the ones mentioned in that japanese thread:

so check the value [06208F94] of [06] in [Ryu> 08 List] and jump to the address [208F94].

However, my Stirling shows this address for 06 instead:

I don't know what's wrong, maybe it's an outdated struct file? This is all the info I could find (translated obviously):

Select Stirling Settings> Byte Order> Big Endian and select
Edit Structure to open the Edit Structure window.
If you scroll to the bottom in the selection box at the top of the structure edit window, the
character name will be surrounded by a line, so select the character you want to modify.
If the editing start position is off at this point, you will not be able to edit correctly, so
jump to 0 in the structure edit window> Move> Address.

I couldn't find that big endian option and even then I'm not sure if it's important. I also made sure that the starting position is 0 in the structure window.
#17  December 21, 2020, 05:39:57 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
I'm still several programming studies away to properly contribute to a project like this;

But oh man, good luck on your findings! This could be very promising. :2thumbsup:

#18  December 22, 2020, 02:38:10 am
    • UK
Hmmm. Have ya tried translating the menus using Google? It allows ya to translate images
Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 02:42:58 am by Yoshin222
#19  December 26, 2020, 12:14:13 am
I managed to get Stirling working but I'm not sure if everything is working as intended, some problems might come in the future but as of now it worked fine.

Step by step:

1) Get the japanese rom (sfiii3n.zip) because the struct file was designed with that version in mind. Using sfiii3.zip will give you the wrong values and addresses.

2) Use XCOPY (20090105 version) to decrypt the file called "10".

3) I noticed that someone tried translating the struct file inside "stir131" and all it did was mess stuff up, so delete that one. What you want to do is to use the original japanese struct file found inside the "struct" folder (date 2014) and remove every instance of the japanese character "ー". For some reason Stirling can't load the file with that inside so you have to remove it (I used notepad++ and replaced all instances with nothing/empty).

4) Open Stirling and then open the decrypted file. At least on windows 10, some text will be displayed in japanese, as question marks or as random characters.

5) Change the byte order to "Big Endian" as this will help reading values and addresses. For example the value "22" will be displayed as "0x00000022" instead of "0x22000000".

6) Open the edit structure window.

7) Click on the drop down menu and you will find the characters all the way down, you will notice that all of them start with “@@„≪”. For this example I renamed Alex's name using the english alphabet, you will find him using his japanese name.

8) A list containing everything about Alex will be displayed on the structure window. This is the part where you experiment changing stuff. Again, you will notice english text in the picture but that's because I translated words, it won't look like that using the regular struct file.

That should be everything for the initial setup.

I think Stirling isn't that useful without having a fully (or mostly) translated struct file. Without understanding what each word means would be the same as blindly editing using a regular hex editor. As you saw in the setup tutorial I translated a few words to get an idea of some of the things that you can tweak. I managed to change Alex's neutral/forward throw to his Stun Gun Headbutt (SAIII) by following a tutorial in that japanese thread. Whenever I can I will explain it in detail.
Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:32:39 am by corndog333
#20  December 26, 2020, 09:01:42 am
    • UK
Beautiful stuff! Seems the next step would be attempting to translate the names in the struct. Mind if ya post yours and I'll add it to the first post?
PS: Merry Christmas yall