YesNoOk

LifeGuard Fired for Saving a Drowning Man. (Read 2604 times)

Started by TRUEMicah, July 05, 2012, 05:06:43 am
Share this topic:
LifeGuard Fired for Saving a Drowning Man.
#1  July 05, 2012, 05:06:43 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah

A Florida lifeguard has been booted from his lifeguard chair for running to save a man who was floundering in the surf.

Tomas Lopez , 21, was fired by his supervisor for vacating his lifeguarding zone to save a man drowning in an unprotected area of the beach in Hallandale Beach, Fla., on Monday, reports the Sun Sentinel.
Here's the story.

MDD

Re: LifeGuard Fired for Saving a Drowning Man.
#2  July 05, 2012, 05:13:53 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
So.....he got fired for doing exactly what his job title implies. Only in Murica people.
#3  July 05, 2012, 05:25:19 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman

MDD

#4  July 05, 2012, 05:28:55 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
Stupidy is very far spread, yes. But it is more apparent in Murica for unknown reasons.
#5  July 05, 2012, 05:44:21 am
  • Sunglasses Security Guy is watching you necrobump.
    • x-ism.co.cc/index.html
It's only more apparent here because there are so many people living in the United States, so while the proportionate amount of stupid people isn't much different from the rest of the world, there are more stupid people overall. Furthermore, there are more intelligent people to take notice of the others' stupidity, hence this thread.
#6  July 05, 2012, 05:47:11 am
He had a pretty shitty job anyway. I hope this publicity propels him to success later on.
#7  July 05, 2012, 05:50:53 am
  • Bounty Hunting.....FOR PROFIT!
What happened was that he did something that the lifeguard company stated he shouldn't do. You know, so they don't get sued if he leaves his post. However from what the other lifeguards said, all they could do is call the authorities and pretty much wait for them to come. There were like 12 lifeguards under the employ of this company and 7 quit in support of what the lifeguard that got fired did.

The lifeguards were more than competent for their jobs, however the same cannot be said about the company itself. It is not uncommon for a company to care more about not getting sued than doing their job.
#8  July 05, 2012, 09:17:12 am
  • what a shame
    • Iran
most of the bad news i hear from america is mostly located in florida

#9  July 05, 2012, 09:25:46 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
But it is more apparent in Murica for unknown reasons.
They even call themselves Americans to lure people into thinking Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and other American countries are part of this stupidity too, but we're not fools. We know !

Anyway, haha, that's some fucked up shit here. I want to say "only possible in the US", but then people would say that's just basic "anti-americanism". But no, it's just that this kind of stuff is mostly ONLY possible there. Other countries have their own kind of fuck-ups, but this one is specific to the US.
#10  July 05, 2012, 10:33:25 am
#11  July 05, 2012, 10:57:14 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
thats a goddamn bullshit decision and i hope the local press and reactions to this case might change the outcome

MDD

#12  July 05, 2012, 10:59:44 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
No Cazaki. If anything the Bugs Bunny GIF is perfect for all the news that's been happening lately.
#13  July 05, 2012, 11:03:35 am
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA
I like how that Bugs Bunny gif that totally fits these Florida situations that's been posted 2, 3 time tops is being called over used when there is tons of other gifs and picture posted way more than it.
#14  July 05, 2012, 11:19:11 am
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
I just saw this on the news, apparently he may be able to get his job back

Man it's crazy outside with the wind, seeing as how my bed frame is metal

No way in hell Im going to stay asleep with all this lightning outside my window
#15  July 05, 2012, 02:34:09 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
So he did the right thing and saved a man, but got fired for saving that man and doing the right thing.

*sigh* Excuse me, but since when did the 'right thing to do' become 'the right thing to do for our business'?
#16  July 05, 2012, 02:45:16 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
The thread title should be

"LifeGuard Fired for attempting to save a Drowning Man."

The guy was saved by 3 other tourists, the lifeguard (who did the right thing in my opinion) only helped

I read a couple of other lifeguards from the same company and city have quit their jobs as reaction to this bullshit decision
#17  July 05, 2012, 03:08:02 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Where are the Good Samaritan Laws in this story?

Saving one's life should not be grounds for a lawsuit.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#18  July 05, 2012, 07:24:29 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
They even call themselves Americans to lure people into thinking Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and other American countries are part of this stupidity too, but we're not fools. We know !
Don't even joke about that because then you'll have people coming to this thread agreeing with that idiotic idea.

Anyway, haha, that's some fucked up shit here. I want to say "only possible in the US", but then people would say that's just basic "anti-americanism". But no, it's just that this kind of stuff is mostly ONLY possible there. Other countries have their own kind of fuck-ups, but this one is specific to the US.
Why? Why is it only possible here? Does every other country in the world have a law that says "lifeguards can rescue people outside of their zone or whatever"? Or are companies not allowed to fire people for dumb reasons in countries besides America?
#19  July 05, 2012, 07:42:42 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
Business does fucked up shit like that. In a warehouse I used to work in long long ago, in a city far far away, we were told that if someone passed out, suffered some kind of stroke, aneurism, heart attack, or simply fell from their lift got knocked out and were basically dangling from their harness. That climbing up and saving the person would be the heroic thing to do, but you would be "regrettably let go". Even if the person was obviously being strangled or suffocated by the harness, we were to wait for emergency services to arrive, and I guess stare at the guy swinging around in the air.

I still wouldn't have hesitated to try and save someone, because I hated that job, and I'm a pretty nice guy, but mostly because I hated that job. >: (

I'd assume this is how it is in most places State-side or any country with easily accessible seemingly stupid lawsuits. The rules are set because of the legal system(which blows dick a lot of the time), it tries prevents one possible lawsuit from turning into two, when the co-worker tries to go hero and breaks his leg trying to save the guy dying in his harness. Or from 2 families suing the company in charge of the area. I was taught the same thing about helping out people in traffic accidents, call 911 but don't touch them! Even if their car is on fire, they might sue you for dragging their unappreciative ass to safety!

I can only guess the beach biz would be the same way or whoever runs the lifeguard jobs. With that said, they are absolutely stupid for firing a guy for attempting to rescue a drowning man, it makes them look terrible. Unless 30 children drowned in the lifeguards area when he was out almost saving one man..
#20  July 06, 2012, 05:36:53 am
  • Bounty Hunting.....FOR PROFIT!
The news reported today that this guy is going to get his job back. To be honest if I were on his shoes I would wonder if I'd want to go back. I'd rather go sue the company for their double standards and lose than to work for a company that might do it again. The county isn't at fault but this company sure as hell is.