YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 734256 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#2041  June 05, 2020, 03:10:46 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
This week, in Smash fans are driving Sakurai insane news:

Sakurai's latest Famitsu article talks about how he has a lot more time to play video games now that he and his team are all working from home, but he's become too nervous to talk about which games he's playing on social media or anywhere else because Smash Bros fans (Western fans in particular) always assume that any time he ever talks about a game it's a confirmation that that game is coming to Smash Bros.  So he's had to make it a habit of never mentioning any video game by name or attending any event or program involving any specific game, so fans don't mistakenly get their hopes up.

It must be so surreal to be Sakurai.  I can't think of any other famous game dev with a fan following so utterly bizarre and illogical in their devotion.
#2042  June 05, 2020, 05:13:52 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Well, considering fans went as far as noting his hand gestures as if they were hints for characters I can see where he's coming from.
#2043  June 05, 2020, 06:29:08 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Frankly, I'd say go in the other direction and just be incredibly candid and just nod and say "sure" to whoever and whatever people throw out, like Ed Boon.  It'll get people to wise up real fast.  People will speculate regardless, might as well have fun along with them.

Also that Akira picture of him in the thread is fantastic.
Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 06:32:13 am by Long John Killer
#2044  June 05, 2020, 06:35:20 am
    • Brazil
Yeah, but Ed Boon is kind of a dick in that regard, some of the lies he says are completely unnecessary, like how he said that MK11 would only have Kronika as an NPC, while Cyrax and Sektor are both NPCs in it (despite the backlash they got with Rain, Baraka and Sindel in MKX), and no indication they'll be DLC.
#2045  June 05, 2020, 01:49:26 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#2046  June 05, 2020, 08:06:06 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
If i was Sakurai, i'd troll the shit out of the fans.

Like a whole ass tweet thread about how much he loves the games he plays and if some dumbass jumps to conclusions so what?

When someone cant even speak about something they enjoy out of fear of some dumbasses making a fuss out of it, something is seriously wrong.
#2047  June 06, 2020, 02:01:53 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Sakurai: Hey guys, so I've been playing this neat game called Bubsy.
Fans: OLOLOL BUBSY IN SMASH OLOLOL
#2048  June 06, 2020, 02:14:28 am
  • Some guy with nothing better to do in his life
  • Nothing should exist in MIDI
    • USA

Don't think...obey
#2049  June 06, 2020, 02:48:38 am
    • Brazil
#2050  June 06, 2020, 03:23:13 am
    • USA
It was not a "hint," per se.  He did a weird thing in the Byleth reveal direct where he counted the number of Fire Emblem games in binary on one had, and whoever does the social media announcements took a still frame of what looked like him striking a pose during the middle of it, and used that as the promo image to announce the direct before it happened.  It was just a still image of him holding out three fingers, that had no direct tie to Byleth in anyway.

Of course, the fans immediately assumed it was supposed to be a hint and started arguing over whether it was  "3" or "W" and what that allegedly confirmed.  Fans be crazy like that.
#2051  June 06, 2020, 03:28:02 am
    • USA
I mean....it meaning the game Byleth came from, seeing he was counting up to the numbered title it was in the series, it was a hint in that case, just entirely misinterpreted because who the hell's expecting the take-away from his half-dab was to start counting in binary?
#2052  June 06, 2020, 03:42:27 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Sakurai: Hey guys, so I've been playing this neat game called Bubsy.
Fans: OLOLOL BUBSY IN SMASH OLOLOL
Followed by dozens upon dozens of theory vids many of which contain weird faces in thumbnails.  Smash community.
#2053  June 06, 2020, 04:25:30 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
#2054  June 06, 2020, 04:36:11 am
    • USA
I mean....it meaning the game Byleth came from, seeing he was counting up to the numbered title it was in the series, it was a hint in that case, just entirely misinterpreted because who the hell's expecting the take-away from his half-dab was to start counting in binary?

Technically yes, but It's only a hint if you have the benefit of hindsight after already knowing what it was.  My point was that it was not intended as some cryptic cipher to be decoded by fans to figure out the next character.  Since it was cropped from the video it's almost certain that Sakurai didn't even know anyone would see that particular image before the direct aired. 

Come to think of it, I can't think of a single instance where there actually was a "hint" in the sense that the Western Smash fanbase has come to define it.  All those theories over screenshots, random tweets, potted plants and chair colors never once actually amounted to anything.
#2055  June 06, 2020, 05:24:42 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Remember when fans were so damn sure Dante would be the last fighter just because the DMC games were being ported to Switch? Or when they assumed Shantae would be in the game just because the trailer of the last game had a window which looked like the Smash logo?

The only time there ever was a hint was when they "accidentally" added that SNK copyright notice, which immediately led into Terry Bogard's reveal.
Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:29:59 am by Magma MK-II
#2056  June 06, 2020, 08:17:02 am
    • USA
I thought people were expecting Dante because V's voice actor went out on Twitter a few days prior and said he's excited over work one of his co-workers did for the upcoming Smash DLC?  Or something to that degree, I dunno, I don't mess with Twitter.  But that was what I thought the source of debate came from because I did see some tweet get spread around.

The Shantae one I remember but also remember it dying, like, within the day it came up because her lighthouse windows have always been like that.
#2057  June 06, 2020, 05:16:57 pm
    • Brazil
V's voice actor was hinting at the next Marvel vs Capcom, actually.
#2058  June 19, 2020, 04:19:11 pm
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
6/22 will showcase the ARMS fighter for roughly 35 minutes.

7am PT, 10am ET.
#2059  June 19, 2020, 04:56:28 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Right, who could it be?

Probably Minmin, and I'm fine with that.
Preferably Springman or Ribbon Girl, but I'd come to love Minmin too with time. No dislike at least.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#2060  June 19, 2020, 04:59:05 pm
Not a big fan of the series, but we talking about Smash Bros after all. So, time to bring a new fighter and some neat Mii Fighters costumes and maybe a teaser of the next fighter. No new fighter teaser other than Arms.
Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 05:46:43 pm by GTA