YesNoOk

Capcom Fighting All-Stars: Rise of the Code Holders (Slow WIP Thread) (Read 4199 times)

Started by Steel Komodo, February 18, 2024, 05:52:45 pm
Share this topic:
Capcom Fighting All-Stars: Rise of the Code Holders (Slow WIP Thread)
#1  February 18, 2024, 05:52:45 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • UK
If anyone's been keeping track of the Idea Engineering thread, they'll have seen me talking about this a lot. I've already started work on a character now, so I think I might as well make it an official announcement.

What is this?
Essentially an attempt to "remake" the unreleased Capcom Fighting All-Stars: Code Holder in I.K.E.M.E.N. GO. The mechanics, tone and story will be examined and translated/updated for both the two-dimentional plane and for modern sensibilities. What has potential will be updated, what is good will be kept, what is bad or not possible will be thrown out.

Gameplay Rundown
  • 6-Button fighter. 2 Punches, 2 Kicks, Evade and Throw Button
  • Combos run on a L>M>H system derived from Rival Schools/Marvel vs Capcom 2/Early Darkstalkers. No air combos. Only one ground bounce, wall bounce and launcher per combo.
  • "Dramatic Counter" equivalent to a Zero Counter.
  • No air blocking (currently mulling this over).
  • Both dashing and runs - some characters will run, others will dash, others will have both.
  • EX Moves?
  • All characters will have a Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 Super Combo.
  • "Dramatic Finish" finishing moves that require a full bar of meter and the enemy player to be on a quarter life left.
  • Stun meter derived from I.K.E.M.E.N.

Roster (TENTATIVE)
  • Ryu (Street Fighter) (CURRENT WIP)
  • Chun-Li (Street Fighter II)
  • Alex (Street Fighter III)
  • Charlie Nash (Street Fighter Alpha)
  • Mike Haggar (Final Fight)
  • Poison (Final Fight)
  • Batsu Ichimonji (Rival Schools)
  • Akira Kazama (Rival Schools)
  • Morrigan Aensland OR Demitri Maximoff (Darkstalkers)
  • Strider Hiryu (Strider)
  • Akuma (Street Fighter II) (Shin Akuma as secret boss)
  • Daisuke 'D.D.' Denjima (Capcom Fighting All-Stars)
  • Rook (Capcom Fighting All-Stars)
  • Ingrid (Capcom Fighting All-Stars)
  • Avel (Capcom Fighting All-Stars) (Alternate 'Death' form as Final Boss)
  • Kyo Kusanagi (Guest Character from King of Fighters)

Poss. Future Features
  • "Story Mode" for each character that delves into the narrative of the game.
  • Figure out how the hell netplay works so people can play online.
  • Four additional characters to bulk up the roster to 20 - Edward Falcon, Jedah Dohma, Maverick Hunter X and Fiona Belli.
  • Maaaaaybe a tag mode? Or, failing that, KOF-style "team" fights

Spoiler: Current WIP (click to see content)

Stay tuned for further updates, although this will be a VERY slow WIP and progress will take a long while for my own mental health.
Re: Capcom Fighting All-Stars: Rise of the Code Holders (Slow WIP Thread)
#2  February 18, 2024, 06:22:02 pm
    • Argentina
This is interesting, Im just curious to know what you will do for D.D., Rook and Avel
#3  February 18, 2024, 06:34:59 pm
    • UK
This is interesting, Im just curious to know what you will do for D.D., Rook and Avel

Most likely I'll pay for someone to make the sprites. But as far as I know, we don't have a lot of footage for them, or at least not very good quality footage. I may have to just invent new movelists whole cloth for them, since that might be easier on the whole than peering at crappy camera footage trying to discern what the hell is going on.
#4  February 18, 2024, 11:51:41 pm
    • Brazil
That's fair enough. About the Darkstalkers rep, I'd suggest Morrigan, she has the better looking sprites made by Li-Kun, she is basically the only face Darkstalkers has and also it would keep the amount of girls and guys in the roster more balanced.
#5  February 19, 2024, 12:47:58 am
    • Argentina
That's fair enough. About the Darkstalkers rep, I'd suggest Morrigan, she has the better looking sprites made by Li-Kun, she is basically the only face Darkstalkers has and also it would keep the amount of girls and guys in the roster more balanced.

Honestly even if she's more popular and such, they want to recreate what CFAS was mean to be, maybe if the project continues he will add more stuff in, but his aim to be as close as possible to the game is a good choice and his decision after all
#6  February 19, 2024, 12:54:26 am
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
I'll be keeping an eye on this, and maybe even be willing to test it if progress is made.

I'm kinda wondering about the L>M>H combos when it's only 4 attack buttons, unless it's like the MvC2 way.

Why not both? /j

But yeah, Morri's likely the easier pick from the two, but both wouldn't be a bad idea for the sake of keeping to the original roster plan while still adding familiar faces.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#7  February 19, 2024, 01:58:09 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I'm glad you keep the idea of the original game, that would be awesome to see it recrerated on MUGEN. About keeping to use Demitri over Morrigan as the original plan is, keep in mind there were improved sprites of him (rescaling him from CFJ + some edited ones from SVC in DS style) that you should use... not sure if it was made by Dampir or someone else

Most likely I'll pay for someone to make the sprites. But as far as I know, we don't have a lot of footage for them, or at least not very good quality footage. I may have to just invent new movelists whole cloth for them, since that might be easier on the whole than peering at crappy camera footage trying to discern what the hell is going on.
I was thinking in that for long time and even I spat the idea on Discord, but the CVS versions of K' (by Dampir, of course) and Benimaru could be the perfect models for D.D and Rook respectively- with K' making a CS so he can get black hair and the red clothes and Benimaru with his long hair going down as in his intro (maybe adding it from Remy, for example), both with a couple of edition could make the perfect chars. This could be perfect sense since various of CFAS developers were ex-SNK people, so probably get ideas from KOF for those chars, think about it ;)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#8  February 19, 2024, 01:55:20 pm
    • UK
Lemme tackle these in no particular order.

In terms of swapping Demitri out for Morrigan, I think my main hang-up is that Demitri doesn't have any recent voice work in Japanese OR English that I can use. It might be a case of hiring somebody to do new voicework, as would be the case for Batsu, Ingrid, Rook, D.D. and Avel/Death. If that's not possible, then I'd probably switch to Morrigan - which, considering she's the bigger face of Darkstalkers at this point, wouldn't be too big a deal.

Basara's suggestions for D.D. and Rook's sprites do make sense and would be the quickest way to make those characters exist. My only concern would be spiriting new win poses and moves for them, because from what little I've seen they don't play a lot like those aforementioned characters. But compared to spriting a new character from whole cloth, it would be a much easier job overall. Who could we use for Avel/Death, while we're talking about it? Possibly Rugal?

Thanks for offering to beta test, RagingRowen. I'll be sure to hook you up once I make any progress. And yes, you're right in that I'm doing the basic combo strings in MvC2-style: After any LP or LK, pressing LP or LK again will result in a medium hit. Admittedly, this is a very experimental idea - if people don't jive with it, I'll turn it into something more simple, like an MVC:I-style LP > LK > HP > HK string.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll be sure to post in here again when I've made further progress on Ryu.
#9  February 19, 2024, 02:43:26 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
K' (by Dampir, of course) and Benimaru could be the perfect models for D.D and Rook respectively-

Sorry to disagree, but they don't have similar movesets. In the case of D.D and K' their clothes are way too different, starting with the sleeves. Their body build is also different, being D.D a bit hulkier. In the case of Rook  and Benimaru, could work, but putting the Remy wig...just no. Rook's hair is spiky while Remy is straight.

Also, Avel/Death is VERY different to Rugal. If you say Adelheid...could work, since they're both slender, but those baggy trousers of him would be a problem.

I don't know if the project is going to have a story behind, so in this case, I'd say going with the easiest(yet dumber) option: they've been abducted to another dimension, so Ingrid is searching for them/whatever. So you can center the efforts in the other fighters better.

Keep the good work!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#10  February 19, 2024, 05:11:24 pm
    • Brazil
In terms of swapping Demitri out for Morrigan, I think my main hang-up is that Demitri doesn't have any recent voice work in Japanese OR English that I can use. It might be a case of hiring somebody to do new voicework, as would be the case for Batsu, Ingrid, Rook, D.D. and Avel/Death. If that's not possible, then I'd probably switch to Morrigan - which, considering she's the bigger face of Darkstalkers at this point, wouldn't be too big a deal.
As much as I prefer Morrigan by a long shot, I'll give Demitri a fair shot and say that in Cross Edge, he was voiced by Richard Epcar, so while the Cross Edge voice rips aren't available anywhere, maybe you'll find fitting voices from another character Epcar voiced: https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Richard-Epcar/

EDIT: Also, the Street Fighter wiki has some descriptions of D.D. and Rook's moves in those chara' pages, you can make movesets based on those.
Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 05:17:45 pm by Macaulyn97
#11  February 19, 2024, 05:19:23 pm
    • UK
I don't know if the project is going to have a story behind, so in this case, I'd say going with the easiest(yet dumber) option: they've been abducted to another dimension, so Ingrid is searching for them/whatever. So you can center the efforts in the other fighters better.

Keep the good work!

So the plan (as of now) is to pretty much copy the story of the original Capcom Fighting All-Stars - bad guy threatens Metro City with strange device, assemblage of fighters gather to stop him. Obviously, since I'm looking to sort of "update" the original concept for modern sensibilities, this is going to be tweaked quite a bit as time goes on, but the base idea will still be there.

And thanks! I'm not sure when I'll have anything to show/beta test, but I'll definitely announce it in here when I do.

As much as I prefer Morrigan by a long shot, I'll give Demitri a fair shot and say that in Cross Edge, he was voiced by Richard Epcar, so while the Cross Edge voice rips aren't available anywhere, maybe you'll find fitting voices from another character Epcar voiced: https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Richard-Epcar/

EDIT: Also, the Street Fighter wiki has some descriptions of D.D. and Rook's moves in those chara' pages, you can make movesets based on those.

I'll look into all that and see what I can do. Thanks for the references.
#12  February 19, 2024, 06:52:42 pm
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
Perhaps for bases you can use Alba's custom KOF styled sprites as a base and Kain for Abel, this project sounds great though, it would be nice to eventually see Ingrid reunited with the rest of her cast mates that never got a second chance, wishing you the best of luck with this whole thing

#13  February 21, 2024, 06:15:13 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
I will be watching this (with hopes that this doesn't get cancelled).
#14  February 22, 2024, 12:26:23 am
    • UK
QUICK UPDATE: All of Ryu's grounded moves are done. Will do all of his aerial moves and general hitbox/animation timing touchups before I find a way to record some footage for y'all.

...yeah, that's all I got so far. Sorry if this isn't really what you were expecting, but I did warn y'all this was gonna be a slow WIP. And thanks to IRL events, it might end up being a bit slower. I'll do my best to keep you all updated on progress in the future, but it's gonna be a long road, so try not to hold your breath or anything.
#15  February 25, 2024, 03:35:23 pm
    • UK
Might as well whet your appetite with this preview video.

Not everything is in right now. I still need to add in some sounds and dust for running and dashing, maybe some new sound effects for the rolls, and that one hitspark for crouching medium punch needs serious fixing. But lemme explain briefly what's happening.
  • All characters follow a L > M > H basic chain. Mediums are accessed by pressing L a second time after the first L. So what you're seeing is actually something like LP > LP > HP, or LP > LK > HK. This applies to crouching normals as well.
  • Jumping normals are only Lights and Heavies, and don't chain.
  • Evasive dodge and roll exist to replicate the sidestep mechanic from the original game. I'm on the fence about including "roll cancelling" - cancelling the last few frames of a dodge roll into a special move to give it invincibility.
  • Throws are on C. If the opponent hits Throw within the first ten frames of the animation, they'll perform a throw escape.

The next update will be to add short hops as an alternate jump, enabling easier links from jumping attacks, as well as the Dramatic Counter system. Stay tuned for partial excitement!
#16  February 25, 2024, 05:04:49 pm
If those hitspark effects are helpers, change the sprpriority.
#17  March 10, 2024, 12:25:17 am
    • UK
Sorry to be so quiet for so long. I did warn you all this was gonna be a SLOW WIP, but I didn't think it was gonna be this slow.

Not really that much to show here. Just the Dramatic Counter stuff, and also that the sprpriority on the hitsparks was changed. It's all WIP - and massively so. No effects, the hit sound on the crouching DC is wrong and Crouching DC is SUPER tricky to pull off. I'll need to look at the command and find out how to make it easier to pull off. Also, I'm using Ikemen GO for my testing

Sorry if this was kind of a letdown, but a lot of IRL shit was going off and keeping me distracted, so this is really all I got. Anyway, I'm gonna be quiet again for a while after this - I want to get all the hitboxes for the gethit animations consistent, then start adding special moves. I'll upload more progress after all that's been done.
#18  March 23, 2024, 04:51:57 pm
    • UK
Yeah, uh... nothing to report. Sorry.  I've been in a big slump for a while where I just don't want to do anything creative, and that includes working on this. And that's on top of reservations I have about the gameplay I'm working on. I'll say something more in the idea engineering thread, but consider this on hold for the time until I get my mood up again.

Huge apologies to all of you.