YesNoOk

Project EF-12 (a free customizable 3D fighting game engine) (Read 559849 times)

Started by Makunouchi Ippo, September 25, 2013, 02:43:21 am
Share this topic:
Re: Project EF-12 (a free customizable 3D fighting game engine)
#81  September 26, 2013, 06:50:40 pm
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/-opensource-mps-psds-stages-and-resources-please-put-them-good-use-172321.0.html
inb4PotS Style chars in Project EF-12 and Evil / Mech / Orochi edits.

But in all seriousness though, this is gonna be great. I wonder how stages will be made in this engine? Hopefully, it won't be too hard.

Rest in peace, Tamez. Thank you for everything.
#82  September 26, 2013, 07:38:59 pm
  • MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC
    • UK
Stages appear to be made out of two meshes, one for the floor and one for the background elements. You can also choose between different skybox texture / lighting combinations.

Also MvC3 uses spheres for hit detection. Take that as you will.
#83  September 26, 2013, 08:53:01 pm
  • TEHUH NAYUME EZ HUWK KOO MAWUN
    • Canada
Considering the lack of ability to sprite (well), and actually having 3d Practice (Mecha Tyrannosaurus got me an A)

Harmony is harmony is harmony is not with us, harmony is not with us. Living hell is coming.

3DS FC: 0232 - 8852 - 3659
#84  September 26, 2013, 09:11:04 pm
  • Unrealistic Reality
  • ______________________
    • USA
Makes me wonder if anyone at the polycount forum or any other 3d modeling forum have notice this engine yet.
I wouldn't mind seeing this stage put into the engine
#85  September 26, 2013, 10:20:24 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
#86  September 26, 2013, 11:16:12 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
iirc some guys fix the limitations of similar collision engines by using a secondary character with the proper animations so the collision are handled better (in mugen terms is something like using a explod and a helper)
#87  September 27, 2013, 03:45:34 am

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#88  September 27, 2013, 09:12:48 am
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/-opensource-mps-psds-stages-and-resources-please-put-them-good-use-172321.0.html
Stages appear to be made out of two meshes, one for the floor and one for the background elements. You can also choose between different skybox texture / lighting combinations.
Crap, that sounds complicated. Or maybe they'll be like CS/Half-life's maps?

Rest in peace, Tamez. Thank you for everything.
#89  September 27, 2013, 03:51:00 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Been waiting for so long for something like this :)
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#90  September 27, 2013, 10:51:19 pm
  • Me Bouncy
    • USA
    • runningwildwolf@gmail.com
    • http://youtube.com/runningwildvidya
#91  September 28, 2013, 12:02:51 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
so, are you replying to me or the other guy ? first learn how to handle a discussion before you even try to, you are only making an ass of yourself. I have valid reasons for my tought on collision handling but you are not even worth discussing those with.

I guess that sicne http://cyberfanatix.com/ is down you feel like trolling other places.
Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:07:13 am by maximilianjenus
#92  September 28, 2013, 12:08:22 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
I know absolutely nothing about 3D modeling or how collisions function in this realm. However, I find it fascinating that 3D models use spherical/elliptical shapes for hit detection... and it makes sense if you think about it for a second. Having a basic understanding of how 2D collision boxes work, it makes sense 3D would use spheres/ellipticals instead. Cool stuff.

And way out of my league. I'll stick to editing/restoring art, thank you. :ninja:
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#93  September 28, 2013, 12:25:52 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
i don't mind discussing it with you, you are a decent person; collision spheres have two advantages, the first, obvious one is that a lot of stuff is spheric or can be easily defined as a sphere, like a hadouken, small things like bullets, etc... ; the other advantage of spheres is that they are very fast for collision checking, performance wise , since the code for them is very simple and requires very littel comparisons:
you have the coordinate of the center of the sphere and it's radius , so you only need to see if the distance between two center spheres is smaller than the biggest radius , while for boxes you need to do reverse checking y checking the 3 most coordinates and see if one is out of range ( if someone wants more elaboration on that is ok); those are similar to the methods used for collision checking in 2d, except that oxes require a  bigger amount of instruction while spheres don't get increase the complexity of checking even if 3d as the radious is the same.
the advantages of using boxes over spheres is that human bodies can be expressed as a set of boxes more accurately than they can be expressed as a set of spheres, even a game like quake 3 arena uses boxes for character collisino; because the amount of spheres required to represent an arm gets ridiculously high compared to a single box so any performance improvements are lost, old 3d games still used spheres and ignored accuracy ( or balanced it out , it's common for 3d games to balance out accuracy and perormance because current hardware is slow as fuck, ask anybody trying to do realtime clothing) .
other advantage is that boxes are better for the ones of us who want to port characters from 2d fighting games to this 3d engine as we can do a pretty accurate job compared to the 2d counter part , something like getting vans and koot to make accurate kof characters in a 3d engine. one article about sf4 states that thye wanted to use spheres attached to bones at first (it might even have been boxes) but they noticed the game was very sluggish (the article says something like, "it did not work") so they used independant collision boxes.

I was making my engineering graduation thesis on an interactive  3d engine so I did some research, ended up graduating with honour so I was nto required to do a thesis to get my engineering degree; that was 9 years ago so I am unpolished on newer techniques.
#94  September 28, 2013, 12:57:52 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
I was making my engineering graduation thesis on an interactive  3d engine so I did some research, ended up graduating with honour so I was nto required to do a thesis to get my engineering degree; that was 9 years ago so I am unpolished on newer techniques.

Whoa... That right there is interesting in it's own right. Kudos to that good sir!! ;D

All of this sounds very complicated in theory, but it seems like it's actually quite simple. And is it me, or does it sound like each asset (Boxes or Circles) has it's own set of advantage and disadvantages?? Also, it seems that Boxes are more digital (On or off) in nature and Circles are more analog (multiple values, like range) between on and off. If I'm talking nonsense, it's only because of my lack of knowledge even though it's all understandable.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
#95  September 28, 2013, 01:13:29 am
    • USA
SFIV's collision system is pretty interesting. Not only it uses boxes like in mugen but it also supports rotating when required (So you can draw the collision box of a diagonal limb with just one slim box and then rotate it depending of the limb's current angle, instead of using two or three boxes like you would do in mugen).
#96  September 28, 2013, 01:23:04 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
rednavi: yeah, I really like dimps because of stuff like that.

Whoa... That right there is interesting in it's own right. Kudos to that good sir!! ;D

All of this sounds very complicated in theory, but it seems like it's actually quite simple. And is it me, or does it sound like each asset (Boxes or Circles) has it's own set of advantage and disadvantages?? Also, it seems that Boxes are more digital (On or off) in nature and Circles are more analog (multiple values, like range) between on and off. If I'm talking nonsense, it's only because of my lack of knowledge even though it's all understandable.

yeah I think i get what you mean; an engine ideally would support both types of collisions though it means programming 3 collision checking routines as opossed to just one so I see why someone would hold off on it.

I kinda want to use this engine, but having no english docs is the biggest thing stopping me now.
Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:42:54 am by maximilianjenus
#97  September 28, 2013, 01:55:04 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Aren't they promising English support come towards the end of the year?? Hopefully....

#98  September 28, 2013, 02:00:17 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
That´s why having a civilized conversation with WildTengu, he will always try to answer with play "x" game or "you probably never played a 3D game". Always making an ass of himself, doesn´t worth the trouble.

maximilianjenus pretty much summed up what I was thinking. Defining collision boxes with the method of this engine can be troublesome (for the characters bodies) for projectiles it should be easier.
Chilling
#99  September 30, 2013, 12:54:30 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
3D Sonic vs 3D Kirby vs 3D Nightmare Broly vs 3D Sephiroth

On the other hand, no existing sprites to use (or models in this case). It might turn off noobs.

So how difficult would this  be for entry level programmers and noobs?

Would mugen still be the first choice for beginners?
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#100  September 30, 2013, 06:59:13 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I dont think there were very many AMAZING characters when Mugen first came out were there?
All of this talk of "wait and see" is backwards. If you wait around, no one's going to do anything and it'll die off.

What we should be talking about is the possibility of making a green screen map and ripping every 3D character for use in mugen.

What we should be talking about is if anyone's good at rigging, if anyone's good at animating (cuz I know I suck at it)

We should be talking about how to get Samsh Bros Brawl characters converted over. How to get SFxT Yoshimitsu in the game, because C'Mon, once's Yoshi's in the game it's an actual 3D fighter.

I worked on "Shizno's Fighter" homebrew for the original Xbox. He stopped working on it, but I made a general mesh. I made, spiderman, skullomania, fei-long, and COUNTLESS other characters just changing the skin on it and morphing the general aspect of the body. Literally just 30 to 40 seconds to change the body to an all new person. I guarantee the same thing is possible with this engine.

I'd like to see talk of a png to dds team so we could get a force of characters represented.

All this talk of collision box styles and if animating 3D is harder than spriting doesnt freaking matter. It's all ART it's all going to take HOURS to do. "PotS" Isnt going to make EF-12 characters in the first day. It doesnt mean this isnt something we've ALL thought about.

I hope this doesnt go the way of the shizno fighter. I'd love to see it succeed.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv