Re: Random Topic V5
#2381  June 07, 2010, 02:50:47 am
the egg from garfield is funnier than the big bang theory
#2382  June 07, 2010, 04:32:05 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
BBT is funny for like, 1 episode. Then you realize is just LOL NERDS and nothing more.
#2383  June 07, 2010, 05:35:12 am
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/

Can't that be applied to any sitcom? from Fiends to Seinfeld? actually, most comedies these days rely on referential humor. BBT simply does these for a part of the audience that 5 years ago always saw their representatives doomed to support cast to appear once every season.

BBT is funny for like, 1 episode. Then you realize is just LOL NERDS and nothing more.

If you actually expected anything more, than you really got the wrong show, buddy.
#2384  June 07, 2010, 05:35:57 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
lol blind fanboyism.

the ones you mentioned use pop culture in their references, most sitcoms do actually.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#2385  June 07, 2010, 05:36:40 am
  • Fuck You.
inb4icouldevengetitout
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/
#2386  June 07, 2010, 05:38:26 am
they don't use references anywhere as much as bbt does
#2387  June 07, 2010, 05:43:27 am
#2388  June 07, 2010, 05:46:55 am
  • Fuck You.
lol@ the comments.

They're acting like that's the funniest shit they've ever heard.
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/
#2389  June 07, 2010, 05:52:43 am
#2390  June 07, 2010, 06:00:51 am
    • Brazil
also its the worst show ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETNiMHxu8xw

why is there a laugh track after he says he's playing a game on a poorly coded emulator. where's the humor in that

is that common to you play games on a staircase?

sure. that ain't the funniest joke, but you can see why some people would find if funny. specially people who don't make the habit of playing games wherever they go.

"normal people" find it stupid. and stupid is funny.

they don't use references anywhere as much as bbt does

yes. but they use quite frequently.
"Nerd Humor" is mostly based on referential humor. check XKCD for instance. of that "Pi/I" joke.

Seinfeld actually got the whole "superman appears on (almost) every episode)" and they actually did a whole episode on the "Bizarro concept".

that is nerd for you. because how most of the world view us, we actually enjoy when our stuff get used on mainstream.

without those jokes, BBT wouldn't be any different from any other show there is.

granted, Friends were a bad example. the closest thing that come to my mind is the crossover with mad about you (which crossovered with Seinfeld, mind you).

BBT is a show is centered around nerds. and, for the first time, they actually tried to create believable ones.
I mean, even sheldon, who is the "uber geek" ain't shown like someone who speaks leet all the time.
(I think they dropped the ball on having him like Ubuntu, but that was probably product placement).

the fact that comic book moves and games made "nerd culture" cool helped a show like that to be viable.

you, "normal people", can finally see a show that shows the world from our point of view for a change.

before that, the best thing we had were "the revenge of the nerds"... a great movie btw (gotta see ti again some of these days).
Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:08:52 am by Tony 3rd
#2391  June 07, 2010, 06:09:27 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman

Seinfeld actually got the whole "superman appears on (almost) every episode)" and they actually did a whole episode on the "Bizarro concept".
Yeah, but Superman always appeared in the background, and the Bizarro episode wasn't a cheap joke at nerds' expense, it was just a goofy look at, well, a Bizarro version of our characters.

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
#2392  June 07, 2010, 06:14:59 am
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
yes. but they use quite frequently.
"Nerd Humor" is mostly based on referential humor. check XKCD for instance. of that "Pi/I" joke.

that is nerd for you. because how most of the world view us, we actually enjoy when our stuff get used on mainstream.

without those jokes, BBT wouldn't be any different from any other show there is.

granted, Friends were a bad example. the closest thing that come to my mind is the crossover with mad about you (which crossovered with Seinfeld, mind you).

BBT is a show is centered around nerds. and, for the first time, they actually tried to create believable ones.
I mean, even sheldon, who is the "uber geek" ain't shown like someone who speaks leet all the time.
(I think they dropped the ball on having him like Ubuntu, but that was probably product placement).

the fact that comic book moves and games made "nerd culture" cool helped a show like that to be viable.

you, "normal people", can finally see a show that shows the world from our point of view for a change.

before that, the best thing we had were "the revenge of the nerds"... a great movie btw (gotta see ti again some of these days).

doesnt make it funny tho
i dont even remember most of the episodes i watched
#2393  June 07, 2010, 06:32:54 am
    • Brazil
Yeah, but Superman always appeared in the background, and the Bizarro episode wasn't a cheap joke at nerds' expense, it was just a goofy look at, well, a Bizarro version of our characters.

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

really, BBT ain't cheap jokes on nerds expenses. the screen writers actually did their homework.

that Mariah Carey video that she did to try to ride the "nerd love" wave is.

doesnt make it funny tho
i dont even remember most of the episodes i watched

you see.. that's the deal...

let me give an example (actually, one that I've mentioned already)

do you find these funny?

well, Nerds do. for 2 reasons:

1) The Joke itself

2) And inside joke that says : "Math jokes: You don't know what is worse: to find it funny, or that you understand why its is funny"

So, when they decided to do a show around "nerds", that kind of stuff is "not impossible, its inevitable"*.

and, and i say this as a nerd myself, they are doing a good job "dumbing things down" without disregarding who the characters are supposed to be.  (the ubuntu thing for instance).

So yeah, even tough you guys might love the little relationship troubles between Leonard and Penny, or Sheldon Quirkies, or Wolowitz trying to hump every female on the show ,the 75% nerd jokes are what separate the show from the rest, and is actually what made it viable on the first place.

*can you guess the reference here, Mr. Anderson?
#2394  June 07, 2010, 06:40:15 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman

#2395  June 07, 2010, 06:47:19 am
is that common to you play games on a staircase?
if that was supposed to be the funny part the laughtrack wouldve been earlier. they had to wait for the POORLY CODED EMULATOR!! punchline instead
check XKCD for instance
ugh
seinfeld doing a superman funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRAFILarqSU
bbt doing a superman funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PvwtS0htyk
both are completely different. jerry doesn't make 5 superman jokes per episode
yeah i'm glad seinfeld referenced superman, he's so obscure and nobody has ever heard of him. finally some mainstreamery for clark kent
bbt is a show that relies way too heavily on referencing outside material. it's garbage much like family guy
#2396  June 07, 2010, 06:53:19 am
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
I laughed at Kyptonian skin cells...

I mean nothing's wrong with anyway the punchline is delivered and what they use. Some people like the use of references in jokes, some don't. Some would except the humor of Beavis and Butt-Head, though it has pop-culture references, but not like BBT.
Accusare nemo se debet nisi coram Veridis
DYNOMITE
#2397  June 07, 2010, 07:01:43 am
    • Brazil
if that was supposed to be the funny part the laughtrack wouldve been earlier. they had to wait for the POORLY CODED EMULATOR!! punchline instead

and what If he said "I'm checking my e-mails"? do you think it would be funnier?
the "poorly coded emulator" was simply to state exactly what he was doing. the sentence don't have "funny" outside the fact that he was on a staircase.

ugh
Thank you for proving my point.

seinfeld doing a superman funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRAFILarqSU
bbt doing a superman funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PvwtS0htyk
both are completely different. jerry doesn't make 5 superman jokes per episode

Because Jerry ain't doing a nerd show. however, he still did some jokes, didn't he?

yeah i'm glad seinfeld referenced superman, he's so obscure and nobody has ever heard of him. finally some mainstreamery for clark kent

Not superman. Bizarro. a concept created inside superman comics that, even these days, only Comic book fans are aware of it.

if he wanted, he could used references to the mirror world from the original star trek. almost every comedy show uses it at some point.

references to Superman, Batman or Spiderman entered mainstream realm decades ago.

bbt is a show that relies way too heavily on referencing outside material. it's garbage much like family guy

And what have I been saying all along: nerd humor depensds a lot on referential humor.
to dismiss it as garbage is simply because you don't get the joke.

I know the feeling. Its the reason I stopped watching Brazilian television.

BTW, Since we mentioned it, I always considered you to be "Bizarro Tony 3rd".
and every post of yours confirms it.
#2398  June 07, 2010, 07:10:10 am
    • Brazil
Oh, Sheldon's theory is wrong.

Flight ain't a feat of strength. is actually derived from a  kind of Kryptonian telekinetic personal force field.
otherwise, he wouldn't be able to float.

Thor's flight, on the other hand, is a "feat of strength".
Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:15:53 am by Tony 3rd
#2399  June 07, 2010, 07:15:50 am
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
your right tony
#2400  June 07, 2010, 07:16:33 am
and what If he said "I'm checking my e-mails"? do you think it would be funnier?
no it wouldve been just as unfunny
Thank you for proving my point.
if your premise of humor relies heavily on referencing things that you hope your audience might get then you're not really funny
Because Jerry ain't doing a nerd show. however, he still did some jokes, didn't he?
seinfeld does not rely on referencing anywhere as much as bbt does, which is something i said several posts ago
Not superman. Bizarro. a concept created inside superman comics that, even these days, only Comic book fans are aware of it.
difference being that the bizarro deal was basically explained in seinfeld while in bbt it would be a bizarro namedrop followed by a laughtrack
references to Superman, Batman or Spiderman entered mainstream realm decades ago.
that's because they're mainstream due to media outside comics. referencing them is not exactly obscure
to dismiss it as garbage is simply because you don't get the joke.
i get the jokes and i don't find them funny. i know about roms and emulators and super mario 64. does that mean i have to find that shit funny? no
BTW, Since we mentioned it, I always considered you to be "Bizarro Tony 3rd".
this is completely accurate