YesNoOk

Character of the Month: Amount of Nominations - Discussion (Read 10212 times)

Started by TRUEMicah, December 03, 2012, 10:56:19 am
Share this topic:
Re: Character of the Month: Amount of Nominations - Discussion
#61  December 04, 2012, 04:57:56 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
We can't make rules for this contest to predict every possible conflict.
No one is saying we do. It's just that allowing updates to things that haven't won (or have been nominated, whichever) is a good thing and doesn't cause lots of problems.
#62  December 04, 2012, 05:40:13 am
  • Hey, I'm Grump!
    • USA
    • soldier.ucoz.net/
20 candidates, not 20 authors' characters. Why are we changing that? It has worked for two years now. If anything, one character per author (LOL).

Also:

I kinda like the 20 character limit, remember we have to enter each candidate manually when the poll starts, that's very tedious.
I was referring to the nominations. Not the candidates, but now that I think about it what I said was stupid so forget that part.
I should also mention that I think overhaul updates are fine when considered as a new release. I guess I forgot to write that part out in my last post.

Morphman. I understand what you're saying, but I disagree. If I released a character in October and lost CoTM, but updated it the next month and got nominated again, that just makes no sense. It was released in October, not November. Unless that update was substantial enough (for example, the first release was a beta and the update was the finished product, or a complete overhaul like Rajaa is saying) to be considered a new release then I think that's fine, but the way I see it, allowing any updates would cause a lot of cheating (and probably some sore losers complaining.) Maybe I'm just treating this too seriously.
I apologize if I'm somehow making things more complicated. I'm just trying to voice my opinion in the hopes that it would make things easier.

(Youtube) (WIP) (Mediafire) (New Anime Shop) My Manga Reviews! Personal favorite Patreon! Check her out!

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
#63  December 04, 2012, 08:09:25 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
You are treating it too seriously and mostly we don't have any problems with the whole update thing. It's come up because someone updated 12 characters and they ALL got nominated. Which removed any options for a huge number of other characters to make it.

There's still lots of december left, i'd put in a case for this one and allow ikuraga the robert, which is a release and extract the rest of them and go from there.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#64  December 04, 2012, 08:55:56 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
im fine with that.Let other people participate.

GOH

#65  December 04, 2012, 10:34:50 am
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
I don't agree with removing the rest of the entries. I say let it be as it is. Who knows, maybe Kelexo will update his character and then it will be nominated for the following month.

Get rid of the nomination limit starting next year.

Either way we should call a vote on this. Nobody's gonna come to an agreement.
#66  December 04, 2012, 10:55:20 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
I still think that more nomimees should be allowed for december. even if its a once in a blue moon thing.
#67  December 04, 2012, 11:41:26 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
On the update thing, I was proposing what Byakko said a few months ago, but mods answered it was too much work tracking and differentiating real overhauls/edits from little updates (adding a palette and fixing a vel).

Any creator can release an update and say "major overhaul", while it's nothing more than a few changes. Rajaa said his latest updates were overhauls, but if it wasn't for his post, I would have never noticed (no, I didn't check his code to see if all the comments were in English and how he coded the AI). Keeping track of things like this is too complicated.

Let's keep it simple and allow all updates to be illegible as long as the character never won CotM before. Simple as that.
#68  December 04, 2012, 11:58:48 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
If something keeps having a bunch of updates chances are most people wont nominate it enough times for it to go to the poll , at one point people get tired of it.
#69  December 04, 2012, 12:26:39 pm
  • turtles go
25 should be enough.

GOH

#70  December 04, 2012, 12:39:20 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal

No 25 isn't enough.
#71  December 04, 2012, 03:16:52 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I'm with DivineWolf in this. I also think the key is nominate 3-5 (I'm not sure of the number) characters per creator so there the contest would be more fair for the others. Also I like the ideas of 20 creators and no limits for candidates.

On the update thing, I was proposing what Byakko said a few months ago, but mods answered it was too much work tracking and differentiating real overhauls/edits from little updates (adding a palette and fixing a vel).
A question for all of you: how many creators didn't make a real update?? I know very few cases (like Ken34, Choiyer and WlanmaniaX), but almost all creators made updates to fix bugs and improve their creations. Looking if the creator added a sctrl to CNS or a clsn to AIR when he/she did the update to see if it's an overhaul or a little fix it's stupid, it's like KFM's Guild Dark Times when the MUGEN police revised CNS to see if something is stolen from other creators.
Resuming, an update generally is an improve to a character, so why letting out of COTM a character for having an improve?? I say updates should be added as always

I stopped caring about this like 2 minutes ago. If someone objects to a nomination, we'll handle it at that given time. We can't make rules for this contest to predict every possible conflict.

What if this, what if that. I'm not being paid for this shit, it's a simple contest. Case by case makes this easier, and there aren't usually cases.
I'm pretty sure you didn't treat with this in MI, did you??

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X

hjk

#72  December 04, 2012, 03:45:06 pm
  • Watch my fro grow as you go, go, go, go, go.
    • Afghanistan
I haven't read through the entire topic and won't have time until the end of the day, but to be more representative, I think we should only allow 3 characters to be nominated per user.
LOL, Caddie's the man!! ;)

I'm as real as the runnin, I just happen to rap, Nigaas London, Japan, and i'm scared of dat tap.

I suggest extending my banning, cuz when I come back, it's gonna be hell. You think I was annoying before, oh man, it's on now :)
hjk vs. 99% of MFG. I will win.

RIP Poo Bear Tell my Dead Homie isson, for the year my partner.
#73  December 04, 2012, 05:16:29 pm
    • USA
If I released a character in October and lost CoTM, but updated it the next month and got nominated again, that just makes no sense. It was released in October, not November. Unless that update was substantial enough (for example, the first release was a beta and the update was the finished product, or a complete overhaul like Rajaa is saying) to be considered a new release then I think that's fine, but the way I see it, allowing any updates would cause a lot of cheating (and probably some sore losers complaining.)
We've had no problems with allowing updates before, besides this one-time, freak occurrence. Our users aren't dumb, they wouldn't nominate an update that just got a new palette; there's a whole month of new releases and people tend to get more excited about the newer ones.

Changing the rules to outlaw things that barely ever happen is dumb.

I don't even think the problem is with updates themselves this month, it's with the number of creations by a single person are present. Limiting the number of creations per author makes sense, I think.
#74  December 04, 2012, 06:20:24 pm
    • USA
I haven't read through the entire topic and won't have time until the end of the day, but to be more representative, I think we should only allow 3 characters to be nominated per user.

Actually, thinking about it, this may be an even better solution than simply lifting the limit. There's already a limit to the number of characters we can choose when the actual voting takes place, so a nomination limit, say 3-5 chars per user, would make sense and would seem to address most of the gripes I've read.

Rajaa would get to keep his 20 character limit.

Everyone would get a chance to participate since no 3 members would get to monopolize the available nomination slots.

I think it would also greatly address the whole issue of how many nominations a single author could have. In order for all of Ikaruga's characters to become candidates, for example, would require differing nominations from at least nine to twelve different members, which, while possible, would be highly unlikely.

Also it means that you'll have to actually pick and choose which characters you'd REALLY like to see nominated, rather than simply copy/pasting a laundry list of everything under the sun.

Regardless, if some kind of a limit is to remain in place, whether characters or authors, then there HAS to be a limit on nominations as well. Otherwise the crux of the problem (the limited nominations decided by only a handful of people, the majority of the forum not getting a chance to participate) would remain.
#75  December 04, 2012, 06:26:46 pm
    • USA
Actually, thinking about it, this may be an even better solution than simply lifting the limit. There's already a limit to the number of characters we can choose when the actual voting takes place, so a nomination limit, say 3-5 chars per user, would make sense and would seem to address most of the gripes I've read.
Ooh, yeah, this seems like the best idea.
#76  December 04, 2012, 06:28:09 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico

Rajaa would get to keep his 20 character limit.

Everyone would get a chance to participate since no 3 members would get to monopolize the available nomination slots.

I think it would also greatly address the whole issue of how many nominations a single author could have. In order for all of Ikaruga's characters to become candidates, for example, would require differing nominations from at least nine to twelve different members, which, while possible, would be highly unlikely.

Also it means that you'll have to actually pick and choose which characters you'd REALLY like to see nominated, rather than simply copy/pasting a laundry list of everything under the sun.

Regardless, if some kind of a limit is to remain in place, whether characters or authors, then there HAS to be a limit on nominations as well. Otherwise the crux of the problem (the limited nominations decided by only a handful of people, the majority of the forum not getting a chance to participate) would remain.
I find myself agreeing with this statement.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#77  December 04, 2012, 06:32:39 pm
    • Thailand
Yeah. I like that one too. Four nominations per person. That will also delay the nominations long enough for people in different time zones, I predict
#78  December 04, 2012, 06:35:13 pm
    • USA
And updates should be allowed! >:[

hjk

#79  December 04, 2012, 08:55:37 pm
  • Watch my fro grow as you go, go, go, go, go.
    • Afghanistan
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

LOL, Caddie's the man!! ;)

I'm as real as the runnin, I just happen to rap, Nigaas London, Japan, and i'm scared of dat tap.

I suggest extending my banning, cuz when I come back, it's gonna be hell. You think I was annoying before, oh man, it's on now :)
hjk vs. 99% of MFG. I will win.

RIP Poo Bear Tell my Dead Homie isson, for the year my partner.
#80  December 04, 2012, 09:25:18 pm
  • Hey, I'm Grump!
    • USA
    • soldier.ucoz.net/
I agree with Amanojaku as well.
It would allow updated characters to be nominated without any problems.

(Youtube) (WIP) (Mediafire) (New Anime Shop) My Manga Reviews! Personal favorite Patreon! Check her out!

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."