YesNoOk

KoF XV (Read 745388 times)

Started by Magma MK-II, December 06, 2018, 01:30:24 pm
Share this topic:
Re: KoF XV
#201  January 14, 2021, 01:14:50 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Glad to finally see something close to actual gameplya.
But they got crazy with jumpcuts.
Feel like they try to hide some possible bad looking stuff.
Every single fighting game trailer is cut like that.

This one is still pretty aggressive in the cut itself.
EDIT : in this one, I cannot even understand what happen. Other fighting games trailers cuts is usually not that aggressive.
#202  January 14, 2021, 06:22:57 pm
  • SNK is life
In the KOFAS trailers they repeat the same move 2 or 3 times to drive the idea home. Here they only show it once for you to replay several times in slow motion and dissect what's going on.

#203  January 14, 2021, 07:40:14 pm
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:53:00 pm by Byakko
#204  January 14, 2021, 08:38:04 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
https://youtu.be/YILerS7DVEU
https://youtu.be/kKZk8ULvlAQ
https://youtu.be/AGI8F48lv24
https://youtu.be/OksMT-OBaaM
??
Sure Shun'ei is faster, but it's still the same series of half second-long clips of a single attack each. It's nothing unusual. It's a bad cut, but let's not pretend this is very different from what we're used to.

Yes, thanks for posting some references.
It helps understanding some elements.
Perhaps my english is not good enough.

Of course, there is always cuts in trailers, to give some hype feeling (perhaps my sentence is bad)

Still with these older trailers, the action is understandable. You can clearly see what happen in 90% of these cuts.

In KOFXV trailer, it's "frantic" (again, not sure if the sentence makes sense)
I truely cannot see what happen in some of them. The cuts are really fast, short, I don't know how to explain better.
It doesn't really give me hype right now. Most of these older trailers still do it better.

This is my point of view.
Perhaps I'm a bit too old to like this level of fast cuts (in this particular kofXV trailer)
#205  January 15, 2021, 12:46:16 am
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
Kof XIV 2.0  :mlol:
#206  January 15, 2021, 12:52:20 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
Holy crap it's practically the same.

Ew.
#207  January 15, 2021, 12:58:22 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Ya know, I looked up a random Vanilla SF4 character reveal from over a decade ago and while it's not as flashy as Blazblue's reveals, it went straight to the point of what is new with the character being highlighted.

Are you saying based on this 'trailer', the only thing new for Shun are different air dash commands that if you blink you'll miss?

I feel like they should have waited until they revealed more core mechanics so they can properly demonstrate Shun's (and everyone else's) new utilties.  Makes the whole individual showcase thing a lot more meaningful IMO.
#208  January 15, 2021, 01:09:43 am
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
Ya know, I looked up a random Vanilla SF4 character reveal from over a decade ago and while it's not as flashy as Blazblue's reveals, it went straight to the point of what is new with the character being highlighted.

Are you saying based on this 'trailer', the only thing new for Shun are different air dash commands that if you blink you'll miss?

I feel like they should have waited until they revealed more core mechanics so they can properly demonstrate Shun's (and everyone else's) new utilties.  Makes the whole individual showcase thing a lot more meaningful IMO.

yes.! you are right, they didnt show anything new in that trailer :/ literaly they are selling the same game 2.0 instead of patch KOF XIV but I hope to get my hype again on the next trailers because Im so disapointed right now. :/
#209  January 15, 2021, 01:25:51 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Why all this complaining?

I mean, of course, could be a bit deceiving not showing new stuff and all, yet we saw:

- New designs for Kyo and Benimaru.
- New stages
- New graphic style(PLEASE, FIX MAI'S BOOBS)
- Benimaru and Kyo interaction. This may hint character interactions before the fight OR story mode.

I may left something here on there(I'm not a good KOF player/follower), but just keep with it instead being offended with "no new stuff". Feels a rushed trailer? Yes, sure. But it shown some few new stuff.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#210  January 15, 2021, 01:28:52 am
    • USA
With the wait for KOF XV none of this feels like a grand enough reveal and with Shun'ei's 45 second long trailer, it didn't feel worth the wait. I didn't see anything new with him. I would've liked to see something more substantially new.

It was 45 seconds of nothing really clearly new and unique and it doesn't really cement KOF XV as worthy of hype atm.
#211  January 15, 2021, 01:29:41 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
It's just Shun's trailer for me.  The main trailer is fine with what's to come.  In fact, it got me intriguied with the new story setting and interactions.
#212  January 15, 2021, 01:42:04 am
    • USA
It's just Shun's trailer for me.  The main trailer is fine with what's to come.  In fact, it got me intriguied with the new story setting and interactions.

I'll give em credit, I do like that.

I wish Shun's trailer showed more tho. 45 seconds of the KOF XIV protag looking... basically the same, albeit in a different graphical style, doesn't really cut it for me. With all the criticism against Shun'ei, from his bad design to blandness as a character, this trailer for him doesn't sell me on why I should give a damn that he's the playable protagonist.
#213  January 15, 2021, 02:23:05 am
Shun'ei is brand new and the least likely to get a revamped moveset already. I'm also not expecting Kyo to get anything new (beside maybe his ultimate but I don't expect anything straying too far from that one punch), just waiting to see which ones of the classic moves he'll get. And if he gets the Mu Shiki because come on. Benimaru I'm surprised that they cared enough to change his design, but his movelist ? Not a chance. For some of those characters, it's a given that they'll play up the ability to pull out those same combos you know by heart since '96.

what I want to see is if characters like Kim, Ryo, Takuma, Andy, King etc. will get new moves and designs (come on Mr. Karate II already ! Grow older !), and if Iori will be flameless (yeah like that's happening) or at least incorporate some variations of his flameless attacks (but better because his XII/XIII moves are lame). I'll be annoyed if Iori has yet again the exact same movelist he's had all these years with barely a couple new things - but then again I still expect it. That's the biggest expectation I'd really like to see shattered : throw a wrench in all those legacy movelists already. I don't care to see the exact same combos that have been around since '96.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:28:49 am by Byakko
#214  January 15, 2021, 02:37:06 am
    • USA
#215  January 15, 2021, 04:01:13 am
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA
    • www.webs.com/videoman190
#216  January 15, 2021, 07:49:45 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
Though I appreciate the designer's efforts in creating these characters, I find the new ones like Shun, Sylvie, Xanadu, Mian, etc pretty un-KOF looking.

I think the reason why is because KOF was always pretty simple looking compared to other 2D fighting games in its era.

Iori had 3 (Red, Blue, White) colors
Kim had 2 (White, Blue) colors
Ryo had 1 (Orange) colors

New characters like Shun and Sylvie has a gazillion number of colors that hurts my eyes.
That's why I liked Luon, Anotonov and Najd's designs since they are quite simple yet defining.

I think simpler the better for KOF character designs.
#217  January 15, 2021, 08:02:04 am
  • A.K.A. NED
Yes I think you're so right about design, I feel pretty much the same.

"""""most""""" classic Kof characters design seems to be something you almost would like to wear in real life.
Not ACTUALLY, but kind of, ok, kind of. They usually from my point of view, look stylish with really few colors.

Since late 3D KOF, they got crazy with colors and unfitting designs. (it was already the case with some strange ones in MI)

Shun Ei particularly looks like a mish mash of unrelated elements of various colors taken from various pop culture trendy medias.
Like if they tried to catch the eye of non-fighting game players.
Again, this is my point of view. I'm not saying this is true, just my opinion.

Also, about the actual appearance of the game. I don't think much about it anymore.
I think there are some chances they possibly improves it later.
Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:09:12 am by Nedflandeurse
#218  January 15, 2021, 08:08:17 am
    • USA
3D character models often focus on adding in tons of little details and a bajillion colors and often look more stiff than Kim's pants in XIV.

Sprite based fighters always get to take the simple dimensions and graphics they have and push them to add more personality and depth.

3D is so much harder. So, so, so much harder. A lot of the depth and personality is ultimately lost.

I wish Shun'ei could've been created back in, say, KOF XI or something, or prior to that. If he had the chance to be made with the older style, his design likely woulda been much better.

And this isn't me trying to sound like a "the new shit is cancer old shit for life" type of "fan", tbh I've come to realize that a lot of 3D fighters often look super lifeless like KOF XIV.

Shun'ei looks like someone opened blender for the first time and was like "holy crap I can just put all this stuff in here???" He looks like walking default assets thrown on a generic character model. I mean hell his FACE still looks like plastic, as opposed to Kyo who, while a bit odd looking, is oozing in personality from his face now. His expressions look way more like the original KOF got brought to life now.

Shun'ei looks like he doesn't belong here. I wish his powers were on a much better utilized character, with a better personality. Fingers crossed that somehow, Shun'ei's story in this game manages to save him from the trash heap.
#219  January 15, 2021, 09:04:27 am
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
I say this as someone who doesn't have Shun'ei in a list of absolute favorite character designs, but still personally likes his look: He looks less like a KOF character and looks more like a Blazblue OC.

As far as this trailer goes, it's really not a good one. Between the blink and you'll miss it jump cuts which are so frequent that as many people have said already, it feels more like they're trying to hide more than they show, and the fact that it doesn't really show anything super new including gameplay mechanics? It just feels like they had to rush this out just to get it out.
#220  January 15, 2021, 10:54:57 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!

Sprite based fighters always get to take the simple dimensions and graphics they have and push them to add more personality and depth.

3D is so much harder. So, so, so much harder. A lot of the depth and personality is ultimately lost.

I don't agree with you. Look at Tekken and how from its firts iteration each character(even in the 3D model) have its own personality(except King/Armor King/Yoshimitsu/Kunimitsu because of the masks; and Nina-Anna-Michelle because they look plain generic woman face).
I swear there was something cool here!!