YesNoOk

Beast by Gladiacloud, MotorRoach, and Kenshiro99 (Read 80708 times)

Started by MotorRoach, March 26, 2021, 02:24:35 am
Share this topic:
Beast by Gladiacloud, MotorRoach, and Kenshiro99
#1  March 26, 2021, 02:24:35 am
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/

An entirely newly sprited take on Dr. Henry "Hank" McCoy, better known as X-Men's Beast, in an effort to closely resemble the original Marvel vs Capcom style!

Despite having no projectiles in his moves, Beast is a very flexible character who can reach the opponent in a handful of different ways, either by how far his attacks can reach, or by moving around the screen rapidly with ease, making him a very pressuring character to deal with. The three of us hope you enjoy playing as him!

Spoiler: Changelog (click to see content)

Shit
Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:10:28 am by MotorRoach
Re: Beast by Gladiacloud, MotorRoach, and Kenshiro99
#2  March 26, 2021, 02:53:19 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
#3  March 26, 2021, 02:53:38 am
Wow man!

This is fabulous... what a work...

You are a high-level trio.
#4  March 26, 2021, 03:04:53 am
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
Beast looks amazing you guys really did some amazing work, congrats on the release!
#5  March 26, 2021, 03:18:14 am
  • Your Successor in Netherrealm Service!!!
    • USA
Looks awesome! I like the fluid combos. And the song brings back nostalgic memories.
Your Successor in Netherrealm Service!!!
#6  March 26, 2021, 03:55:21 am
  • Fist of Nothingness
  • I'm not powerful.
    • Mexico
    • j_llamosa@hotmail.com
THE QUALITY IS OUT OF THIS WORLD! I shall try to check if there's any bugs... thanks to all of you guys. Great work.
#7  March 26, 2021, 04:09:41 am
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
#8  March 26, 2021, 04:20:33 am
  • Karate ni senshi nashi
    • Brazil
    • www.youtube.com/user/karate867
OH MY GOD!!! NICE
#9  March 26, 2021, 04:25:59 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
These sprites. So good. Top notch work.

Download Last Bout now!
#10  March 26, 2021, 04:56:28 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
Very sold character with great sprites, I did find some quirks with Beast not much though
  • It's more advantageous to miss the first two hits of Beast Unleashing than it is to hit them https://streamable.com/0daydy canceling out the damage dampener
  • The hard variant of beast slash is a really good crossup which can be hard to block up close if not ready to microwalk from it. Not sure if it should be nerfed or not since it is a good tool https://streamable.com/gcd98a
#11  March 26, 2021, 06:42:07 am
  • OOHWEE
    • Chile
    • http://nicotinefist1805.deviantart.com/
Congrats on the release, a quality job
#12  March 26, 2021, 08:24:36 am
Tale as old as time Congratulations guys on Beast. Finally, the classic X-Men team are completed!!!
Feel free to use my account:
Username: GTAguy
Password: imanigger
#13  March 26, 2021, 09:57:41 am
  • Cosmic Creations
  • The Living Dynamo
    • USA
    • electroslair.blogspot.com/
Those sprites really look amazing. The facial expression when he gets angry is pretty cool & a little funny.
#14  March 26, 2021, 10:12:42 am
    • Italy
    • mark.nar@hotmail.it
I would have preferred it to be released in early April along with Jubilee update, not today.

However, Beast is litteraly "the final work" on my sign, and with this release I announce to you that I am temporarily leaving the scene from the Mugen works.

Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 11:11:10 am by Gladiacloud
#15  March 26, 2021, 01:56:10 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
This is... magnificent! :flipout:
Thank you for the awesome work, guys! He fits perfectly with the official MvC cast.

However, Beast is litteraly "the final work" on my sign, and with this release I announce to you that I am temporarily leaving the scene from the Mugen works.

Take your time, man. I know Mugen is a complicated thing. After making such amount of quality works, you deserve a good rest too. :)
#16  March 26, 2021, 02:17:04 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
We truly appreciate all the hard work you've done on these fighters, not to mention appreciating Roach and Kenshiro's hard work as well. Definitely gonna be enjoying Beast. You deserve a very long break and enjoy your time away.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 02:24:31 pm by DarkWolf13
#17  March 26, 2021, 02:18:57 pm
    • Argentina
These chars add so much to Mugen. Thank you so much for all your time and  time you guys put into this to make it happen!

It makes me happy to see Roach posting this as well!
#18  March 26, 2021, 03:50:41 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Wow! Craziness ! He looks so perfect!
#19  March 26, 2021, 04:21:56 pm
  • Yu Yu hakusho spriter
    • USA
    • thanewdude07.deviantart.com/
Quality work from you all! You all definitely deserve recognition  for sure!!

More stuff Get ready for the best yusuke ever!! http://thanewdude07.deviantart.com/

Check out my youtube for more fun stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamSpamBustah?feature=guide
#20  March 26, 2021, 04:48:58 pm
    • Mexico
    • https://nestor-2099.github.io/gamedev/
Amazing work! Looks like a great addition to our rosters, congratulations Gladiacloud, Roach, Kenshiro and Wizzy :)!

I would have preferred it to be released in early April along with Jubilee update, not today.

Take a good rest Gladiacloud, you've done quite a lot of work in these past few years, you really deserve it!
#21  March 26, 2021, 04:50:03 pm
    • USA
    • tsthomas2121@yahoo.com
This is some high quality work. I appreciate the effort, time, and skill to create a character of this caliber.
#22  March 26, 2021, 05:41:15 pm
    • USA
Looks straight out of Marvel vs Capcom 1. Very impressive. It's been a long journey on this one. You've put a lot of hard work into this one. I'm glad you finally came through.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#23  March 26, 2021, 06:30:55 pm
    • Argentina
AMAZING!!!!
#24  March 26, 2021, 06:49:25 pm
Oh wow I didn't expect this to be released so soon. The sprites are nothing less than flawless, and kenshiro99's coding gets better and better with each new release.

I like how painstakingly diverse his hypers and specials are. There's a bit of elena, rolento, cammy, and dhalsim in there from what I've seen. I mean you guys could've easily turned him into a blanka clone and called it a day lol

As for feedback:
• When you do his hypers in the cornermost parts of the stage, beast jumps away and disappears from the screen for a moment after the last hit connects then leaps back in shortly after. Like the animation should ideally only occur if the enemy has been punted off to another section of the stage after the hyper is done.
• Is there any way to tone down mvc-style white flickering on beast's cns? Ngl it's stressing me out a bit lol

Edit: when cornered, successfully executing a back throw doesn't make beast switch places with p2
Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 01:57:08 am by xp41
#25  March 26, 2021, 07:11:47 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20

The SPECTACULAR sprites work, the animations that are so GODDAMN FLUID, the SUPERB programming!

Surely one of the best characters i've ever tested and playing! Gladia and Roach, you guys nailed it in those sprites! K99, you did damn good aswell!

You deserve a good rest bro. I personally appreciate all the amazing stuff you did so far. Take your time and once again thanks Gladia. :)
#26  March 26, 2021, 07:41:14 pm
    • Italy
    • mark.nar@hotmail.it
You deserve a good rest bro. I personally appreciate all the amazing stuff you did so far. Take your time and once again thanks Gladia. :)

The problem is, I don't know if I will return.

I no longer have the free time I had years ago. And to that must be added the fact that, after many years, I am realizing that spriting, as much as I may like, is proving to be a waste of time.
#27  March 26, 2021, 08:02:45 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
    • Brazil
    • Skype - guiaugusto20

I no longer have the free time I had years ago. And to that must be added the fact that, after many years, I am realizing that spriting, as much as I may like, is proving to be a waste of time.

Indeed dealing with life stuff is most important. But think about spriting and MUGEN stuff as a hobby. But also i know how this can be stressful.
Take this rest to MUGEN stuff to cool your head. ;)

EDIT: Oh, also a great thing that you fellas used Beast's voice from X-Men Mutant Academy. I play this one a lot.
Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:25:14 pm by 【MFG】gui0007
#28  March 26, 2021, 09:32:09 pm
This is awesome I love your programming Kenshiro99
#29  March 26, 2021, 10:02:13 pm
I see some influences from Dr. Doom, Gambit, Hulk... looks very solid. Gotta check him out some time...

DW

#30  March 26, 2021, 11:40:30 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net

I can relate. The more you go, the more you feel like time is being wasted. It becomes far more precious and you get to questioning yourself on if you should even be investing time into this. I don't have any profound knowledge to bestow, all I can say is I understand you 100%. At any rate, you and Roach have done some amazing work here.

And overall you have done some great things with the chars you've made. If nothing else you've left a great legacy here and I'd like to thank you for all you've done. Will try out Beast now and get back with you all soon.
#31  March 26, 2021, 11:48:18 pm
    • USA

Got a chance to try Beast out and man he's good. Someone told me that he got the references from Mutant Apocalypse SNES game and now I get the picture. Dope work y'all.
#32  March 27, 2021, 01:40:56 am
    • Mexico

Don't say that.

What you did for this hobby is remarkable. The effort you (and all of the people you collaborated with) put into all your characters is something that deserves respect and appreciation.

Can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm hella grateful for everyone you've done. Regardless of whether this is just a pause or truly the end of the line, you left a great legacy in your works and you should feel proud about it.

Beast is great in the sprites, I'm gonna go hunt down bugs if possible, but so far so good.
#33  March 27, 2021, 02:26:00 am
  • Shit
New update for Beast released, and huge thanks for JtheSaltyy for helping out with a handful of these changes:

- Major revision of his hitboxes to make them more punishable
 - Frame data changes
 - Invulnerability changed on the hyper moves
 - Bug with his level 3 being countered fixed
 - Invulnerability tweaks during advancing guard
 - Removed most of the screen flashes from his moves to make him less eye straining to play as

Shit

dev

#34  March 27, 2021, 03:02:37 am
    • UK

First of all, huge congrats on this release. It's one of the best chars we got in years.
I wish everything goes well for you in real life. I'm in the mugen community since 2008 and kept a close eye on everything since then. To me, you are one of Top 3 most talented guys I have ever seen. Your work is incredible, hard to describe. Such talent is rare and for you to say that this was a waste of time, it's wrong. You did not waste your time, you actually made a huge impact in this community.

Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 03:13:21 am by dev
#35  March 27, 2021, 03:25:01 am
  • *Ultimate Pharmacist*
That... was beautiful the fluid animations it was just pure perfection in my eyes congrats on your work guys.
#36  March 27, 2021, 03:32:58 am
    • Argentina
    • matrerog@yahoo.com.ar
Well done fellas. Well done folks. You've already heard it from others, and you will surely continue to hear it, but I can't help but point out that the work on the sprites is AMAZING!
Congrats and thanks for sharing.
#37  March 27, 2021, 04:09:32 am
  • If you want peace...Prepare for War
    • USA
This is such a great take on Beast, you guys did an amazing job and should be extremely proud. As mentioned by everyone, the sprites are outstanding, and the coding/gameplay feels great. This was totally out of left field for me, but one of the coolest releases I've seen in a long time (bias opinion since I'm a die hard comic fan).
- I haven't tested the new update, but based off the initial release I think that he feels a little too generous in the ass kicking department, and is able to go off a little too much when doing combos, which gives him a somewhat unpolished feel imo. He's too good lol. He's effective from any range and can turn almost anything into a massive combo in any scenario. He's like a mashers delight, with zero learning curve which to me, the fun part of trying new characters in fighting games is figuring out how to use them. With all that said though, I have no suggestions. Maybe...slow him down. Maybe.

- I think he could benefit from some more sounds as well. He seems to only have 1 grunting sound that is used for all his attacks, as well as his taunt. The only time he speaks is during his Intro. He would feel a lot more complete and Beastly if he had some more Beast specific sounds and voice clips. The lack of sounds give him a KFM feeling, at least to me, and I mean absolutely no disrespect when I say that. Just being honest and trying to help.

- Would you consider adding at least 1 more taunt where he says some type of comment to the enemy?

Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 12:26:23 am by Toxic Masculinity
#38  March 27, 2021, 05:50:00 am
  • Was it something I said?
That sprite work is magnificent! Also, I didn't know Beast was a freestyler! Some excellent work!
#39  March 27, 2021, 06:35:01 am
    • Mexico
Isn't it too early into the year for the COTY to be released already?

This was a long time coming, I remember those first few snippets of idea engineering on the CU discord and it's bonkers to finally see him completed. He's a lot of fun to boot too. Simply amazing.
#40  March 27, 2021, 12:23:09 pm
    • Bulgaria
Thank you for Beast guys he looks awesome  :)
#41  March 27, 2021, 05:27:02 pm
  • Shit
So, this one is a minor update, but Amidweiz surprised me with a handful of fixes to Beast's internal coding. Nothing that necessarily impacted the gameplay, but still very appreciated. Amidweiz also tweak a few other things, to make using a few of Beast's normals less likely to just go through thinner characters (I'm looking at you, Kung Fu Man):

- Fixed a handful of internal issues and deprecations
 - Width is slightly increased now
 - A. mp has a slightly extended hitbox and a. mk has the hitbox slightly lowered to make it less likely to just miss the attacks on thinner characters

Shit
#42  March 27, 2021, 07:04:16 pm

Its not my place to say - that is, on the value of your spriting and MUGEN work from your perspective - but I would respectfully disagree.  Hopefully, you enjoyed the time spent with MUGEN and creating such amazing characters, Beast certainly high on that list; but WITHOUT a doubt hundreds if not thousands (almost certainly higher) have enjoyed what you've created over the years.

The value of that for you on that - I don't know, again not my place to say.  But what I can say for me is the characters you've created over the years are some of the most beautiful, complex, and (most important to me) fun characters out there.  You have to be in the top 10 of MUGEN creators out there.  And the last year has been terrible for many people (I count my blessing, I'm pretty lucky) and no doubt your work has created some great escape from that - it has for me!  I'll be able to enjoy them for years.  BEAST MADE MY WEEK - so unexpected!  Looking around at the various MUGEN sites, I see its creating some buzz.

If this is your last character, I hope you enjoyed bringing some fun to us all.  But either way, Thank you very much!
#43  March 27, 2021, 07:18:00 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
this beast is great, i've enjoyed your previous work in the past but it's been fun
#44  March 27, 2021, 10:14:05 pm
    • Canada
The double-curse of Blue Beard Baboon lies in these words you see. Read them once, then read them twice and your island is history.
#45  March 28, 2021, 03:10:53 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
    • Brazil
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
#46  March 28, 2021, 03:24:28 am
    • www.youtube.com/user/anderson505
omg, i don't like mvc style, but u did so amazing job, i can't believe this is fan made
keep up the amazing job
#47  March 28, 2021, 03:29:10 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
    • Brazil
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
#48  March 28, 2021, 03:41:56 am
#49  March 28, 2021, 03:46:51 am
  • Guilty Gear XRD Rev Mugen Stages
  • We live in a society
    • Dominica
#50  March 28, 2021, 04:04:35 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
    • Brazil
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Kanjai got it right. Yolomate did this one based on "Marvel Zombies".
#51  March 28, 2021, 04:26:27 am
#52  March 28, 2021, 05:29:24 am
  • Shit
These are some pretty cool palettes. Just not a fan of how the red one looks, but then again, there's only so much you can do by changing the palette, to make him look like a zombie.

...by the way, one of Amidweiz's changes to Beast caused him to react weirdly to being knocked up or back from the p2 side, affecting his gameplay very oddly. So I just reverted the download link to the previous version before this bug happened, and I'll update it later on when we find out how to fix this. Sorry about that.

EDIT: Bug's been fixed and the new update is up. Thanks, Kamekaze.

Shit
Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 05:39:31 am by MotorRoach
#53  March 28, 2021, 07:48:44 am
    • USA
    • https://jthesaltyy.wixsite.com/jthesaltyymugen
#54  March 28, 2021, 07:56:00 am
    • Mexico
#55  March 29, 2021, 01:58:10 pm
    • Italy
    • mark.nar@hotmail.it
#56  March 29, 2021, 02:22:38 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Nice set of palettes, Saltyy. I like the red and orange alts.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#57  March 29, 2021, 04:55:51 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper

I am almost 38 years old.

It is my age that makes me realize that I am wasting time.

Age should never be a hinder. You can always do other things, whenever, because you decide what you spend time with. All I can say is that you are truly talented, and I wish you the best with anything you decide to do, but I hope for you to understand that age should never be an issue for whatever you are doing. To me life is about being happy, and if you do something, no matter the creativity outlet, the time wasted or powers drained, if you enjoy what you do, and it makes you happy, then don't go against it. That will take the ultimate toll on your happiness, and that's the last thing I want for anyone.

Also, I wanted to comment more on-topic for Beast, as this is the ultimate Beast for mugen now, and the sprites are super clean, the moveset is incredibly fun, and it's coded really great. Thanks for another solid release, team.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#58  March 29, 2021, 06:04:13 pm
    • USA
there is always a time when we must take a call to action in our lives that is bigger than most things (mugen included), but there is always time to come back as well. Thank you for your work! I myself came back in 2018 after 10 years, I will definitely take a loooong break again after my project 3 years in the making is done.

Hope the best!
#59  March 29, 2021, 06:23:00 pm
I can imagine that makes a char requires a lot of time, i think the Mugen can be a combination, some guys make chars, another makes stages,lifebar and screenpacks and etc...

Excellent char makers are retired for now, but I think there always will be  great chars coming out, even in lesser quantity.

for me it’s enough that he created all the MVC ASSIST characters, anything beyond that is a bonus.

Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:55:58 pm by Mazemerald.

lui

#60  March 29, 2021, 11:13:41 pm
    • USA
Gladias done enough. If he wants to quit, thats fine. Let him quit on his own terms, he of all people has earned it. Nothing wrong with finally letting yourself rest.

Thanks for all youve done bud.

dev

#61  March 30, 2021, 12:42:06 am
    • UK

#62  March 30, 2021, 03:14:04 am
  • Shit
I hope you know your work is very much beloved, Gladia, and regardless of whether you keep making Mugen characters or not, I want to thank you for all the great content who released for everyone to enjoy. You put out a lot of good stuff that I doubt we'd get even in decades from now.

On relation to the actual thread, though, there was a problem with Beast's advancing guard in recent updates that caused him to suddenly get hit if you used it against multi hit opponent moves, so that has been updated to work properly. Shoutouts to SquidlyPoli1 for delivering a fix for it.

Shit
#63  March 30, 2021, 04:32:16 am
    • Colombia
    • arfercon@gmail.com
thanks. great work.
#64  March 30, 2021, 10:11:16 pm
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
Not bad. The sprites are really nice.
His d,f+2P and d,f+2K supers seem slightly buggy, though. You can see it in a mirror match, where the results of the attack will vary depending on which side the attack comes from (it only has the full effect when done from the right side).
The same thing is true for the f,d,df+K special.
Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 10:16:22 pm by Toni
#65  March 31, 2021, 04:25:14 pm
  • I make characters with huge asses!
    • USA
    • www.patreon.com/Kazecat

If you like doing it then it is not a waste of time.
#66  April 11, 2021, 01:14:14 am
  • coming back slowly..!!
    • Ecuador
WWWoooowww!!! Very, veeerrryyyy!! Impresive work!! Congra!!! Guys....Thanks for the time and work to bring to this very good version of Beast...!!
#67  April 11, 2021, 05:46:40 pm
Really impressive job. Impressive sprites and moveset. Could've felt a little more weighty with a few timing changes, but feels very, very much like something that would be released in an official game. Very fun character, going to have to fiddle around with his moveset in time to make sure I'm not overlooking something. Only thing that I did not like and that probably boils down to personal taste is that you can combo into the same strength crouching attacks from standing attacks (standing mk into crouching mk and so on). Personally, that feels a little off although I haven't played actual MvC in recent years so can't comment on whether this is an official thing or not. As I said, personal taste. Great work, this is so going to be a main stay in my roster. <3
#68  April 14, 2021, 10:18:04 am
Great character all around. I mean that. Capcom or better quality. Only thing that comes close is your revamped Michelle Heart. I always hoped you would do archangel and or bishop (90’s) but you have done supremely well for free. Rest easy. You will be missed. Enjoy your time however that pans out. Thanks a bunch.
Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 04:25:10 am by warecus
#69  April 14, 2021, 12:22:29 pm
    • Italy
    • mark.nar@hotmail.it
#70  April 14, 2021, 12:44:55 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Yes, he's saying the only thing that comes close to Beast's quality is the revamped Michelle Heart.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#71  April 15, 2021, 02:27:55 am
  • Lone Wolf
    • Argentina
i really love this, beast was my favorite x-men until death of x ruined him for me.
now it's james howlett earth-12025.

"What do you see in me? a man or a beast?"
#72  April 16, 2021, 03:11:33 am
  • Getting better, still a long way to go
    • UK
Dope as FUCK! Rarely see such high quality stuff, so cool to see a brand new MVC Beast set. Good shit all around
#73  April 16, 2021, 10:02:40 am
    • Italy
    • alessandrorondinonealex@gmail.com
Amazing. Congratulation :-)
#74  April 17, 2021, 03:47:58 am
i really love this, beast was my favorite x-men until death of x ruined him for me.
now it's james howlett earth-12025.

Death of X was focused on ruining Cyclops, was Beast even in that?
#75  April 17, 2021, 03:59:51 am
    • crepa.neocities.org