YesNoOk

I'm looking for tips on ripping sprites from DS games. (Read 16410 times)

Started by Anzai, October 14, 2008, 04:12:17 am
Share this topic:
I'm looking for tips on ripping sprites from DS games.
#1  October 14, 2008, 04:12:17 am
  • It's the monkey in my pants, isn't it.
Any help appreciated. Should note that I'm looking for alternate methods, as I can rip using Animget but I don't want to resort to such methods just yet.
Coming soon

Something maybe possibly related to possible maybe Mugen WIP.

OZ

Re: I'm looking for tips on ripping sprites from DS games.
#2  October 14, 2008, 04:51:21 am
  • ಠ_ಠ
I used a DS emulator, using pausing in conjunction with screenshots.
A tad simplistic, but it worked.

I seperated and cleaned up the sprites with MS Paint.
ಠ_ಠ
#3  October 14, 2008, 04:53:06 am
I used a DS emulator, using pausing in conjunction with screenshots.
A tad simplistic, but it worked.

I seperated and cleaned up the sprites with MS Paint.
I'm already using an emulator (it's the only way to get easily get the sprites onto a computer :P), I was just wondering if there was a built in feature for disabling layers and such, or if there was a specific program to use that'd make it easier.
Coming soon

OZ

#4  October 14, 2008, 04:55:18 am
  • ಠ_ಠ
I actually looked for something like that.
I have yet to find that feature on a DS emulator.  :-\
ಠ_ಠ
#5  October 15, 2008, 03:54:54 pm
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
I think there is one emulator which can disable layers, iIrc the name of the emulator is Ideas.
My shitty mugen stuff:
#6  October 15, 2008, 07:05:14 pm
    • Thailand
Any help appreciated. Should note that I'm looking for alternate methods, as I can rip using Animget but I don't want to resort to such methods just yet.

Who's/what sprites are you trying to rip? because there are sprite rips running around of im petty sure every darkstalker characters, or i could be wrong? or maybe you just want the experience. But yup just leting you knwow something you probably alreadt know.

:sugoi:
#7  October 15, 2008, 10:47:50 pm
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
I dont think he means darkstalker. I think he means nintendo DS.
My shitty mugen stuff:
#8  October 15, 2008, 10:53:01 pm
    • Thailand
*dies*
#9  October 16, 2008, 12:30:05 am
I think there is one emulator which can disable layers, iIrc the name of the emulator is Ideas.
I've used iDeaS, and it can disable layers, however the list of supported games don't cover the Bleach games (japanese or english), so I might have to wait a bit until they cover them. =(
Coming soon

#10  October 26, 2008, 08:03:33 pm
    • Edtion.TK
(sorry for my lack of pro. detail/words, i dont like to remember complex words)

im good at this kinda thing, i used artmoney to flip through sprites and animations for bleach and naruto games, and also did other stuff for some sprites

my tip is:

download ideas from the nintendo ds section as http://emulator-zone.com
download artmoney from ( i have no idea, http://artmoney.rs or somthin like that, just search for it)
load your game with ideas, set up ideas to your likeing
then get to the point in the game you want to start ripping

now if the game is a fighter or something that the characters are 2d ( dbz super sonic warriors, snk vs capcom, street fighter, bleach, naruto, etc. ) then go to properties, then opengl, then uncheck everything, but texture mapping.
youll notice that the characters now have a bg around them  do what you want to rip the sprites.

If your game is a 3d game, then uncheck all the opengl options, and then play with the lights ( seriously i wouldnt reccomend ripping from 3d games this way, its no real way to get the actual sprites from 3d figures, because of all the angles,zooms,  and animations )

as for artmoney, most of the values for ds games are from 06000000 - 06FFFFFF with different games, and emulator versions, the integers change

search for a value when your character is ready, then do an attack or movement or somethin, then filter the value to have increased, and then when their standing again, then filter it to have decreased Rep.
most games first value for char spr./anim. start with 1, wich is either the first frame for the anim. or the first sprite for that character

(if your playing bleach ds1/2,  the game use sprites for one character, so when the characters stand anim increase 1 time, then filter to have increased by 1, and the characters file will end with an 8, and have 3 other addresses for it)

and if you dont know how to use artmoney, then find a tutorial

(again, sorry for my lack of pro. detail/words)
#11  October 28, 2008, 02:58:54 am
(sorry for my lack of pro. detail/words, i dont like to remember complex words)

im good at this kinda thing, i used artmoney to flip through sprites and animations for bleach and naruto games, and also did other stuff for some sprites

my tip is:

download ideas from the nintendo ds section as http://emulator-zone.com
download artmoney from ( i have no idea, http://artmoney.rs or somthin like that, just search for it)
load your game with ideas, set up ideas to your likeing
then get to the point in the game you want to start ripping

now if the game is a fighter or something that the characters are 2d ( dbz super sonic warriors, snk vs capcom, street fighter, bleach, naruto, etc. ) then go to properties, then opengl, then uncheck everything, but texture mapping.
youll notice that the characters now have a bg around them  do what you want to rip the sprites.

If your game is a 3d game, then uncheck all the opengl options, and then play with the lights ( seriously i wouldnt reccomend ripping from 3d games this way, its no real way to get the actual sprites from 3d figures, because of all the angles,zooms,  and animations )

as for artmoney, most of the values for ds games are from 06000000 - 06FFFFFF with different games, and emulator versions, the integers change

search for a value when your character is ready, then do an attack or movement or somethin, then filter the value to have increased, and then when their standing again, then filter it to have decreased Rep.
most games first value for char spr./anim. start with 1, wich is either the first frame for the anim. or the first sprite for that character

(if your playing bleach ds1/2,  the game use sprites for one character, so when the characters stand anim increase 1 time, then filter to have increased by 1, and the characters file will end with an 8, and have 3 other addresses for it)

and if you dont know how to use artmoney, then find a tutorial

(again, sorry for my lack of pro. detail/words)
I tip my imaginary hat to you, good sir, as your provided method has helped a LOT. Sprite ripping and cleaning now take less than 5 minutes per sprite, where it originally took 20 minutes, most of which was spent cleaning it. I really can't thank you enough for those tips, they've really helped =)
Coming soon

#12  November 06, 2008, 06:28:13 am
    • Edtion.TK
thanks, and no prob,  i was actually planning to make a tutorial of this one day( still havent ), but its nice to know that i at least helped you in one way or another (though if my memory serves me correctly, i dont think i was really detailed enough >_>)  but you DO know that it should only take a few seconds to get a sprite, right?

1.(with alpha test, and alpha blending turned off) press ctrl + p
2.open the file you just screenshotted
3. select the area of the sprite you wanted
4. copy and paste it to your sheet

that seems pretty quick to me >_> (unless your trying to get effects while ripping... i wouldnt advise that)