YesNoOk

2 Questions> Programs for sprite making and How2 make screenpacks? (Read 3374 times)

Started by -KD3G-, January 27, 2012, 06:07:38 am
Share this topic:
2 Questions> Programs for sprite making and How2 make screenpacks?
#1  January 27, 2012, 06:07:38 am
I am nearly done with Concepting two things.
My character and My screenpack.

I need info on the best software for creating sprites or which software do you use/recommend?
and
DOES ANYONE KNOW A TUTORIAL ON CREATING YOU OWN SCREENPACK? X(

This is what I "WAS" working on but I through that out. Plus  --; I lost all of the animations when my computer crapped out on me......
I am making my Halo character from scratch ^_^ totally fan fiction female spartan with story and 2 versions (Arcade & Professional) <--- more moves and abilities.
I will post a large thread of the project with concept art, story details, details of whats going to be included in each version, and what I may need help with.
so PLEASE! x( help me out. I want to get to spriting her moves quickly as possible.

also I used gimp for that sprite but I've seen others use other programs but they never post the name of the program in their videos or threads...  --;
:woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh:
WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! WE FOUND A PENNY!
Re: 2 Questions> Programs for sprite making and How2 make screenpacks?
#2  January 27, 2012, 08:02:44 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Many people work in simple MS paint. It's already on your computer. Get the old XP version if you're using windows 7 though as the one in 7 is a bit buggy and not as good.

You're not doing anything complicated, you're using a pencil and a fill tool. What is important for spriting is not "Best program ever with bells and whistles" but what you're comfortable using.

Also, practice makes perfect. Good spriting should not be sacrificed for speed.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  January 27, 2012, 10:52:14 pm
great reply ^_^ thank you.
now all I need is the screenpack tutorial :( im sure someone has one. how could there be so many if not a tutorial to do so?
:woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh::woeh:
#4  January 27, 2012, 11:44:15 pm
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
Mostly because you really don't need one beyond "This is how to make a sprite compatible with mugen" Everything else is reference files, checking and in pretty much plain english within the file.

Cursor.Spacing = 5,5
Cursor.size = 25,25
columns = 6
rows = 2
moveoveremptyboxes = 1

Does any of that particularly confuse you? that's what the whole file looks like.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#5  January 28, 2012, 10:37:17 am
    • Canada
    • www.mugencoder.com
Screenpack making isn't really that hard, its the time that you will put into it, and make sure every little detail is good on your ideal point of view.

Start with the normal Mugen, open its system.sff and open system.def to see which sprite goes to which coding. It is basically finding the right pieces and what to do with them (delete all and add your own, replace, etc).

Sprite Making? - Photoshop, Paint, really any image editing program that fits you the best as Cybaster said.
#6  January 28, 2012, 11:01:03 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
Read my username again thank you. You do not need to reply, but read it.

#7  January 29, 2012, 12:13:43 am
 ;D thank you both. I'll be sure to come back with an update in the project area on the forums.
Im thinking also going guilty gear with my character since I can draw  8) but Im doing sprites first. Practice makes perfect. rather see how detailed I can go.

Screenpack thing. I understand. I'll get it soon. may not release it when its done unless I make it better than I expected.

I love mugen & the community and its time I contribute to what I love :)