YesNoOk

The Resident Evil Megathread! JILL SANDWICHES INSIDE! (Read 655468 times)

Started by GOH, August 04, 2011, 04:36:53 pm
Share this topic:

GLB

Re: The Resident Evil Megathread! JILL SANDWICHES INSIDE!
#941  March 06, 2020, 08:52:50 pm
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
^ Just now playing through RE2R i didn't notice that AI pattern with the dogs until you said that. I was legitimately in the kennels with Leon reading this lol.
#942  March 06, 2020, 10:07:42 pm
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
Welp... sorry if I ruined it for you lol.
Lasagna
Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:20:29 am by -Ash-
#943  March 07, 2020, 05:21:45 am
  • Was it something I said?
Nemesis can follow you into save rooms!! I'm actually against this, I thought that Mr. X's constant pursuit of the player in RE2R to be very annoying and almost like a chore to get through, but atleast i got a chance to catch a breather in the save rooms.

But that leads to hilarious shenanigans like this:
#944  March 07, 2020, 07:37:51 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
#945  March 07, 2020, 06:47:19 pm
yeah that magazine was wrong about the safe rooms thing. sorry about that.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#946  April 09, 2020, 12:03:41 am
    • Germany
Nemesis can come into one specific safe room but thats all.

Finished the game, and for me it was way to short, they should have added more content to the game instead of using resurces to make that useless Resitance multiplayer game.
#947  April 09, 2020, 02:12:27 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Extremely short. And some of the iconic areas, such as the church, Watch Tower and etc...where. WHERE?? I mean, inside there, the cemetery, the GRAVE DIGGER.

Underground? OK. Nice add. The changes in the Electricity area are ok too(kinda creepy how it turned like a nest for the brain bitches...and making them a mix between them and the spiders). Laboratory is like "ok, this is a lab". Hospital was SO short compared to the original...the water plant...

I was expecting not the exact game, but an improvement of the original. Instead of this...well... :/
I swear there was something cool here!!
#948  April 09, 2020, 02:42:38 am
yeah this game got butchered to hell. i'll wait for this one to get cracked, i don't think its worth my money.
#949  April 09, 2020, 03:54:48 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
A huge disappointment indeed.
Very short, final form of Nemesis is meh, i didn't like Jill's personality in this remake at all and the lack of creatures in some areas is such a mess.
Oh well Capcom, haste makes waste. It's very clear that this game was rushed.
#950  April 09, 2020, 04:23:12 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Game wasnt rushed. It was made around the same time as RE2. With RE3 they simply had a complete different goal.
Just finished and as someone who doesnt have any history with the original Resident evil games I loved my time with it. Its a bit short but I def want to jump and replay it again with the shop.
Also Nikolai is now my all time favorite RE villain. He was amazing in the game and the delivery on his last line was super on point
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#951  April 09, 2020, 05:51:53 am
    • Germany
Very short, final form of Nemesis is meh, i didn't like Jill's personality in this remake at all and the lack of creatures in some areas is such a mess.

I'm kind of ok with his Final form, but his second form was to much "T-Virus Xenomorph" for my taste, if you know what I mean.

GLB

#952  April 09, 2020, 03:29:41 pm
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Am I the only one that feels like Carlos wasn't as annoying? Can't place why but yeah.

DW

#953  April 09, 2020, 04:25:12 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net

I haven't played the game yet, but I have seen some vids. It's a product of the times that people have to be overly "edgy" and all now. I agree it doesn't fit too much with what they have already established with Jill persona up to this point... But hey, what can you do? I was a bit... discouraged(?) with Jill's redesign at first. Though seeing her in game upclose, she's still wife lol.

Chris' redesign is the only one where they seem to have gone off the rails for... :-\ At any rate, they did turn this one out a bit too quick. Doesn't have the same care and luster as RE2. Even though surface appearance gives that impression. I'll wait till this one goes on sale, and get Trials of Mana instead.
#954  April 09, 2020, 10:35:15 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Much like how the original RE3 was obviously the product of a B-team working off of the resources of the super polished RE2, this remake is also very obviously a B-team working off of RE2make's assets and resources. True, they started development at nearly the same time, and assets weren't as such "reused" for RE3make as they were created and shared among both games, but still. RE3make is noticeably weaker than RE2make, and that's kind of disappointing. I still enjoyed the game though, and I look forward to playing through it several more times. I just wish they had made some different decisions, and I don't think I'll be doing like, 12+ different playthroughs of it like I did RE2make.

The focus on action is natural and expected, but the general lack of puzzles and exploration throws the pacing off a lot: OG RE3 similarly was very action heavy, but it still had a decent amount of exploration and puzzles to break up that action. Ideally, the RE3 remake would've expanded on its very linear nature and made the game world more open, like RE2make. I honestly thought that was gonna be their approach because of the demo,  which had an area with several different paths and shortcuts you could open up, much like the RPD in RE2make. Unfortunately, that was basically one of two areas in the whole game like that.The rest are pretty much just traveling through linear corridors, with barely any puzzle sections. This aspect of the game is definitely the area that feels the most rushed; surely Capcom could've let this spend another year or two in the oven or something. I think that's where the feeling that the game is so short is coming from: most people's play times seem to be roughly equivalent to normal first play times for RE2make, but because there's hardly any breaks in the action for puzzles or exploration, it "feels" much shorter.

Extremely short. And some of the iconic areas, such as the church, Watch Tower and etc...where. WHERE?? I mean, inside there, the cemetery, the GRAVE DIGGER.

Underground? OK. Nice add. The changes in the Electricity area are ok too(kinda creepy how it turned like a nest for the brain bitches...and making them a mix between them and the spiders). Laboratory is like "ok, this is a lab". Hospital was SO short compared to the original...the water plant...
I'd say it's about 50/50 on whether the new areas and content is better than the old ones. It feels like there's the same amount of content/areas as in the original, but there's been a lot that's been swapped out for something new. And it's not like the old stuff was all great! The park and cemetery always felt boring and not particularly well done, and the Grave Digger boss fight is easily one of the worst boss fights in classic Resident Evil (I think only the giant bat fight from 0 is worse).

On the other hand, there's some areas that fall kind of flat, like the new endgame area that's literally named "[name of the lab from RE2make] 2". I wouldn't say the Dead Factory from OG RE3 was a great area, but it at least had a slightly different tone and texture from the squeaky clean lab from RE2, and I felt like they could've expanded on Umbrella's secret waste disposal facility, that had been so inundated with bio-hazardous material to dispose that it had clogged everything up and "overflowed" into the facility itself.

Also the hospital is way, way, way longer than the original, where it was like 4 rooms? It's one of the biggest single areas in the REmake now! It's now actually feels like a real hospital, there's both good explanation and set up as to why there's a cure for the T-Virus in it, and they even have a really cool explanation as to why the Hunter Betas are running around the hospital. Its easily the best improved area in the game.

Ah man, I fucking loved Jill in this game, she was both faithful to the original while also feeling more believable in her reactions. Instead of just instantly trusting the UBCS, she remains (rightly) wary of them for a while, until they prove their bona fides. And the way she becomes more and more frustrated by Nemesis is really great.

Also "bitch can't even swim" is one of the all time, best RE lines of all time, IMO.

I'm kind of ok with his Final form, but his second form was to much "T-Virus Xenomorph" for my taste, if you know what I mean.
I wasn't a huge fan of either of his two later forms; the second is fine I guess, but you have to fight it twice and that's no fun. He was really missing that intermediate form where he's lost his coat and all the tentacles are exposed; that should've been the clock tower fight, and the 4 legged one towards the end. As for the third, it just doesn't feel like it belongs to Nemesis, and it lacked the same feeling the original final form had, where most of its limbs, including its head, had been dissolved in its acid bath. The parasite was taking over more and more control, and the Tyrant body had basically just become a bloated husk.
#955  April 09, 2020, 11:12:38 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
My favorite Jill line are easily Bitch cant even swim and Cant you take a hint
Oh also special shoutout to Nikolai ''Dont know, dont care'' that line was so perfectly delivered its crazy
But yeah RE3 remake easily has some of the best characters. Jill, Carlos, Nikolai and Tyrell are all amazing.
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#956  April 10, 2020, 02:24:21 am
  • PSN&Steam: ViBeZ8282/Le-Fiction
    • USA
    • vonthegreat653@hotmail.com
The only thing I hate about Resident Evil 3 remake was the amount of enemies. We got the hunters and the drain deimos but that's it. I need some type of DLC to make up for this. All that action and i cant bring the smoke to anyone
#957  April 11, 2020, 10:15:02 pm
    • Germany
The only thing I hate about Resident Evil 3 remake was the amount of enemies. We got the hunters and the drain deimos but that's it. I need some type of DLC to make up for this. All that action and i cant bring the smoke to anyone

It already has "DLC"... it is called "Resident Evil Resistance" who will get new DLC in the Future... like Jill as a playnable survivor...
#958  April 12, 2020, 12:45:46 am
It's a glorified DLC expansion for RE2 with a very fast pacing and messed up tone.

In OG things took their time to build up. Meeting Nemesis didn't happen immediately, and Brad didn't die in his first appearance. They were both perfectly timed.
Brad comes running to Jill wounded and in great distress, to suddenly be surprised by the grotesque big fucker jumping in and killing him right before your eyes. Jill was so shocked from this, she couldn't even try to shoot Nemesis to free Brad from him. Jill was actually scared from Nemesis, which in turn made you the player even more terrified of him.

In this game, whenever she encounters him she seems irritated and not really scared. She calls him names and pokes fun at him. She's not taking this situation seriously, so why should we? Nemesis is reduced to a more annoying version of Mr X in this game, he only kills an already wounded Mikhail, and randomly kills Tyrell (in a context where he could've easily killed Jill) at the end of the game.
But both of those deaths come a little too late. You already have had your first impression of him as that tentacle Tyrant that tried to kill Jill in her apartment. While in OG RE3 your first impression of him is of a scary killer monster who murdered your friend and want to murder you too.
In OG and depending on your choices, his kill count is 3 main characters (Mikhail, Nicolai and Brad). Also, his boss fights have been gimped significantly here. You don't fight him in the train or the restaurant.

Nicolai is awful in this game too, basically a mustache twirling villain who talks too much. I was about to sleep from boredom from how much he monologues. In the original he was more subtle, but at the same time he still was a homicidal demolition expert who killed other monitors just to collect more money from Umbrella.

Such a wasted opportunity.
Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:51:04 am by Gennos
#959  April 12, 2020, 02:33:45 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
In OG things took their time to build up. Meeting Nemesis didn't happen immediately, and Brad didn't die in his first appearance. They were both perfectly timed.
Brad comes running to Jill wounded and in great distress, to suddenly be surprised by the grotesque big fucker jumping in and killing him right before your eyes. Jill was so shocked from this, she couldn't even try to shoot Nemesis to free Brad from him. Jill was actually scared from Nemesis, which in turn made you the player even more terrified of him.
That seems like a huge stretch. This is far from Jill's first rodeo, and while she wasn't cursing like RE3make Jill (because there wasn't really any cursing in RE for a fairly long time, weirdly enough), she always seemed more frustrated at Nemesis than anything. Jill's personal feelings towards Nemesis aren't why Nemesis is a threatening figure in the original, it's the way he is a dangerous, threatening enemy who breaks the rules that every other enemy in the game follows.

Compare and contrast Leon and Claire's reactions to Mr. X in RE2make: when they first see him, they're surprised (maybe even a little scared, because they haven't been through an experience like this before), but every other time they're visibly annoyed by his presence. But that doesn't impact how the player feels at all, because RE2make Mr. X is masterfully done at invoking terror, and makes the player panic and make mistakes. The sound design of his big, clomping footsteps (audible even when he's in another room), his very deliberate and slow gait (which allows Leon and Claire to easily outrun him, and thus make it possible to still explore and solve puzzles), and the way he follows a very simple set of rules that never feels unfair (he always has to physically walk to where he wants to go, with no teleportation outside of when he first spawns in), it all adds up to make Mr. X an incredibly gripping threat.

That's why RE3make Nemesis is pretty disappointing, because instead of being RE2make Mr. X on steroids, they dole him out way too infrequently, mostly for set pieces and boss fights. And the few times you do have sections of the game where he's freely chasing you in an open environment, he's just slightly too fast and too dangerous for the player to go about their normal business exploring the environment and picking up items: when Nemesis is chasing you its best to just start running for the exit. That very careful balance that Mr. X had down so well is just not present in Nemesis, which is pretty disappointing.

Nicolai is awful in this game too, basically a mustache twirling villain who talks too much. I was about to sleep from boredom from how much he monologues. In the original he was more subtle, but at the same time he still was a homicidal demolition expert who killed other monitors just to collect more money from Umbrella.
Resident Evil wouldn't know what subtlety is even if it hit RE with a truck. That's what makes RE great! OG RE3 Nicolai was very blatantly evil the moment he shows up, and was just as prone to villainous monologues. He feels somewhat less over the top in the remake even, because his accent isn't quite as insanely "evil Russian" as it was in the original.
Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:37:45 am by Jmorphman
#960  April 12, 2020, 02:27:48 pm
    • Germany
It is funny that if you compare the Original Games with the Remakes, that they kind of a way switched the mechanics of MR. X and Nemesis, in the remakes.

To be Honest I realy disliked that Mr. X was constantly roaming around in the remake, and there where many other people who felt the same way, never tried to get the S-Rank in RE2 Remake after some failed attempts because he was in the way to many times, I don't have the time to try this stuff over and over again it just becomes frustrating at some point.