YesNoOk

[Playtest Build] Unfinished Character! (Read 6630 times)

Started by JasonThePhoenix, February 06, 2024, 12:13:36 am
Share this topic:
[Playtest Build] Unfinished Character!
#1  February 06, 2024, 12:13:36 am
    • UK
Inspired by Marvel VS Capcom 3, Sailor Moon S, and Guilty Gear Xrd, we have... Unfinished Character!

His gameplay? Testable. His damage? High! His speed? Higher!

His animations? Placeholders. His sprites? Incomplete! Who is he? That's a secret.

I am just one man, so before I start the lengthy process of animating his many attacks and drawing his many, many sprites, I thought I should get interested people to playtest the character first just in case any changes are necessary to his moves or code or how he fights. I'm going to make a fullgame with characters created by me, and this character is supposed to be the "Sol" of this game. Some characters will be faster or stronger, some characters will have weirder gimmicks, but he is meant to be simple and straightforward fast rushdown.

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/72td4mk2bds6o65/kfm.7z/file

PC CONTROLS:

Light - L
Medium - ;
Heavy - '
Special - .
Dodge - /

XBOX CONTROLS:
Light - X
Medium - Y
Heavy - B
Special - A
Dodge - RB

PS4/5 CONTROLS:
Light - Square
Medium - Triangle
Heavy - Circle
Special - X
Dodge - R1

Combo Route:
Any Button>Command normal of same button strength>Button of higher strength
Input a combo incorrectly and, if you hit the foe, Autocombo autocorrects you, performing the next attack of higher strength.

Movelist:
5L
5M
5H
6H Overhead
2L
2M
2H
5S Projectile
6S Charge that can Rekka by pressing Light (Low), Medium(Overhead), or Heavy(Launcher)
j.L
j.M
j.H
j.2H
L+M = Throw
M+H = Teleport behind the foe for 1 bar of meter (you have 4)
H+S = Burst (Hit the opponent with Burst while not in hitstun or blockstun to perform a Gold Burst, gaining full meter)
L+S = Super (Spend 50% meter to dash forward, travelling 75% of the screen while invincible)
Dodge = SpotDodge
6+Dodge = Forward Dash
4+Dodge = Backdash
j.Dodge = Forward AirDash

TIPS:

Forward Dash can pass through the opponent. Great for mixups!
Walking towards the foe builds meter.
Dashing towards the foe builds meter.
You can spend 25% of your meter to perform a British Cancel, interrupting your attack with a forward or back dash. This costs 50% meter if your foe is in hitstun or blockstun.
Taunt while your foe is down! Knocked down foes lose 25% of their meter if they are taunted! But be careful, because this gives up Okizeme!

Recommended fight settings: 30 second timer, first to 5 wins

VIDEOS:

Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 08:13:58 am by JasonThePhoenix
Re: [Playtest Build] Unfinished Character!
#2  February 06, 2024, 02:23:14 am
  • Osu!
  • Dragon Destiny Project
    • Brazil
Images???
#3  February 06, 2024, 06:29:57 pm
    • UK
Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 06:39:05 pm by JasonThePhoenix
#4  February 14, 2024, 06:36:55 pm
  • The Modern Mystical Ninja
  • Goemon's Descendant
    • Chile
    • Skype - ardilla_shc
    • sites.google.com/view/ganbarelucifermugensite/
Okay, now this is a funny concept for a joke character.
"Heroes are not applied on good people with powers, they apply on cops, firefighters, medics." ~Lucifer

#5  February 15, 2024, 07:03:35 pm
    • UK
Okay, now this is a funny concept for a joke character.

He isn't intended to be a joke character. He's using unfinished art assets, that's why his fireball is the wooden block from the intro.

I was inspired by some beta Skullgirls footage where some character used unfinished sketches for some of her attacks. I forget which one.
#6  February 24, 2024, 09:47:02 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Would probably help if the link wasn't dead.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#7  February 25, 2024, 02:03:04 am
  • KFC
  • it's finger licking good
    • USA
use mediafire
#8  February 26, 2024, 08:17:58 am
    • UK
use mediafire

Would probably help if the link wasn't dead.

Whoops! I have no idea why the link is dead. I didn't tell the site to delete that.

Now using Mediafire.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/72td4mk2bds6o65/kfm.7z/file

That's the Mediafire link.

Is the character balanced in 1v1 matches? What about matches against the character's gameplay inspirations like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Guilty Gear, Sailor Moon, and Marvel VS Capcom characters?

Also how do you get your own fighting game wiki character pages for your character and frame data like on Dustloop and SuperCombo?

Truth be told after a lot of playtesting I think I might have turned the damage too high. Plus his meter gain seems low compared to how quickly matches end. I don't know how to fix the bug where sometimes you can infinitely forward dash for a ton of meter or backdash for permanent invincibility. The counter hit bonus damage activates inconsistently. And I'm not sure about the Burst system. One per 2-5ish battles doesn't seem like enough. A burst meter like in Guilty Gear Xrd would definitely be better, especially if some Burst Meter is refunded when your Burst hits the foe.
Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 08:33:28 am by JasonThePhoenix
#9  February 26, 2024, 12:01:38 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Dustloop, Supercombo, Mizuumi, etc. document actual games, not random MUGEN characters. You'll need to make your own resource for that.

#10  February 27, 2024, 06:58:33 am
    • UK
Dustloop, Supercombo, Mizuumi, etc. document actual games, not random MUGEN characters. You'll need to make your own resource for that.

That makes sense. I noticed there's a "Mugen Database fandom wiki" site, should I go and make a page for my character or should I finish the art assets for my character first?
#11  February 27, 2024, 11:19:55 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
The Database has a strict uniform layout that doesn't include frame data, so not there either. It would be documented as a Kung Fu Man edit regardless, not its own character.

#12  February 29, 2024, 04:09:18 am
    • UK
The Database has a strict uniform layout that doesn't include frame data, so not there either. It would be documented as a Kung Fu Man edit regardless, not its own character.

Would it need its own name and art to be considered its own character?

Also, why wouldn't the wikis for a fighting game contain frame data? It would be a tremendous undertaking to record the frame data of every character ever but why not let character makers and character fans reveal the frame data of characters they care about?
#13  February 29, 2024, 11:21:44 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
The character would need to be its own character, yes.

Lack of technical information is often a point of criticism, but there's no way in hell anyone's bothering to add frame data, as the quickly abandoned Mugen Lab demonstrates (and to a lesser extent, Saltypedia). Rather than having like two articles that feature it, it's best that everything's consistent. The format the Database has now is realistic due to the open-ended nature of the engine and how frequently characters can be updated.

#14  March 03, 2024, 05:47:50 pm
Why is there talk for a frame data page if the character is unfinished? I think the focus should be on more important things, like how to fix infinites and stuff...
speaking of, after you used Burst (which doesn't make the enemy fall down), if you get cornered and get hit by a x,x (wait a bit) x,x etc. combo you can be defeated by an infinite.
Also yes, damage output is too high. And velocities are inconsistent, walking speed is too high and the jumps are too slow.
Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 05:52:45 pm by AlexSin
#15  March 03, 2024, 10:16:07 pm
    • UK
Why is there talk for a frame data page if the character is unfinished? I think the focus should be on more important things, like how to fix infinites and stuff...
speaking of, after you used Burst (which doesn't make the enemy fall down), if you get cornered and get hit by a x,x (wait a bit) x,x etc. combo you can be defeated by an infinite.
Also yes, damage output is too high. And velocities are inconsistent, walking speed is too high and the jumps are too slow.

PATCH NOTES:

Damage and walk speed reduced.

Max jumping speed now matches ground movement speed.

I edited Burst and Gold Burst so they will make the enemy fall on hit.

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.mediafire.com/file/i3zuamrsecttoy1/kfm.7z/file

Let me know if there are any more infinites to patch out/moves to speed up or slow down before I begin animating the moves.