YesNoOk

DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?) (Read 410075 times)

Started by Edtion, June 05, 2011, 10:00:42 am
Share this topic:
Re: DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?)
#1241  March 10, 2016, 02:55:56 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
So hey, remember those Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77 books that were fun and cool and good and thus unfit to survive in this horrible world? (I think Wonder Woman is currently still going but IDK about its future post-Rebirth, but I'm not especially hopeful!) Well anyways, last year there was a pitch for another comic sequel series to a popular adaptation of a DC character:

A MOTHERFUCKING TIM BURTON BATMAN COMIC

That sadly didn't get picked up. It would've introduced the Marlon Wayans version of Robin, the one that was planned for Returns, finally turn Billy Dee Williams's Harvey Dent into Two-Face, introduce Barbara Gordon and have her becoming Batgirl, and would've also had a really fucking cool hook for Harley:

here, she'd be Alicia Hunt, who was already a sort of proto-Harley. It would be revealed that she survived her suicide attempt, and would team up with Poison Ivy to take down Batman. Speaking of:

Geena Davis as Poison Ivy is A++++++ casting

anyways, I am so fucking bummed DC passed on this. Like it's almost a physical ache. I've hoped something like this would get made for years and years! :(
#1242  March 10, 2016, 06:50:26 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
That would've sat well with fans of that movie.

Bea

#1243  March 10, 2016, 10:45:42 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
... That would have been awesome.
Not Batman 66 and Wonder Woman 77 awesome, but still really, really awesome.
It is a pity the project didn't see the light of the day.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#1244  March 10, 2016, 10:56:20 am
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
Yeah... not sold on the Batgirl costume though
#1245  March 10, 2016, 11:03:19 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
she looks frumpy, cape makes her look like a cupcake
#1246  March 10, 2016, 01:46:39 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:50:43 pm by Bastard Wolf
#1247  March 10, 2016, 02:47:15 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
shes wearing a batmumu and she has problematic hair.
#1248  March 10, 2016, 03:24:14 pm
I kinda like it but she's definitely a spider, not a bat.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#1249  March 11, 2016, 12:39:48 am
    • USA
I'm not a huge fan of the poncho but I like it better now that I understand what they were referencing:

Lydia Deetz from the Beetlejuice cartoon, who in the film was played by Winona Ryder. And Winona Ryder as Barbara Gordon is pretty great casting!
#1250  March 11, 2016, 04:09:56 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
she looks ready for the qubeley
#1251  March 28, 2016, 09:10:20 am
    • USA
So the DC Rebirth creative teams and basic details got revealed this weekend. Here are a few highlights:
Spoiler: SUPERMAN TITLES (click to see content)
Spoiler: BATMAN TITLES (click to see content)
Spoiler: GENERAL DC books (click to see content)
So yeah, I have mixed feelings about all this. It definitely feels like a much more sound revamp of DC's superhero line compared to the nu52, but so much of it is just moving backwards. Even stuff like Rucka returning on Wonder Woman makes me feel conflicted; his run was one of the greatest in her entire history, and I'm sure he'll turn in some great new Wondy stories. But I can't help but feel like there was a missed opportunity at getting a newer voice in there. And that goes across the board for many of the titles; while it's certainly an improvement over the many of the creative teams of the nu52, it still feels like a step backwards in many ways. There's still a crazy amount of DC house style artists, which makes everything feel the same, especially visually. I mean sure, nu52 was by and large pretty awful, and the majority of its titles were either doing the same things DC was doing before their reboot (but with a slightly different coat of paint) or they were doubling down on DC's worst instincts, but there was some interesting and experimental ideas (that eventually all fell by the wayside). DCYou, from last year, was much, much more successful artistically, but it never really got a fair shot before DC completely abandoned it, which was a real kick in the teeth.

And now this. It all kinda feels like a midway point between nu52 and DCYou. I really like that they're trying to restore some of the aspects of the old DC universe that fell by the wayside when they rebooted, but I just wish they were able to do so while also looking forward to the future. :-\

in other news, some more info dropped about those Hanna-Barbera comics. They're apparently going to be loosely connected, or at least the Scooby Doo and Wacky Racers one. The apocalypse taking place in the Scooby Doo book will eventually lead to the post-apocalyptic future of the Wacky Racers book, which sounds completely insane, just typing that up.

and speaking of the Wacky Racers book, it looks kind of terrible:

this is supposed to be Penelope Pitstop, in case you were wondering.

it's just such a natural and organic evolution from her original design
#1252  March 28, 2016, 03:25:37 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Oh my God Muttley noooooooooo

Anyway, definitely disappointed in Dan Jurgens being on Action and Snyder still being on a Batman title, it's like they're giving up

I loved Ruckas WW, but I think at this crucial juncture the GCPD needs him more

Very disappointed about Priest being on Deathstroke but at least it's not Cyborg
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1253  March 28, 2016, 03:33:28 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
Perfect opportunity to bring back Colin for that Damian/Jonathan team book. Hell they could put Billy in too.
#1254  March 28, 2016, 09:21:36 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
I hope they bring back the obscure comics books series called Young Justice. If you don't know what that is then...

It along the lines of those images. By the way, does anybody know what is happening to the Teen Titans?
Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:48:03 am by Uche_of_MFG
#1255  March 28, 2016, 10:11:50 pm
    • USA
Young Justice isn't an obscure series. :-\

There will be two separate Titans books; kinda like what happened in the late 90s, with Titans and Young Justice! Much like the 90s Titans followed a team made up of the founders of the Teen Titans, and other adult members, the new Titans series follows the founders of the original incarnation of the nu52 Titans (Nightwing, Donna Troy, Arsenal, Garth of Atlantis, and Lilith), reunited as a team. The other Titan book, Teen Titans, is somewhat similar to Young Justice in that it has explicitly teenaged superheroes, and features Damein Wayne as Robin and Wally West as Kid Flash joining the team alongside alongside stalwarts Beast Boy, Starfire, and Raven.
#1256  March 28, 2016, 11:50:27 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
The other Titan book, Teen Titans, is somewhat similar to Young Justice in that it has explicitly teenaged superheroes, and features Damein Wayne as Robin and Wally West as Kid Flash joining the team alongside alongside stalwarts Beast Boy, Starfire, and Raven.

I cannot believe that I live in an age where Wally and Dick are no longer contemporaries

I don't care if he's black now
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1257  March 29, 2016, 03:41:04 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
Yea same, I always thought they had a underrated relationship. Glad tim is back in his old outfit basically,although the red robin name seems silly with all that green.

#1258  April 18, 2016, 11:41:57 pm
Rebirth solicitations are up, which means cool covers.

BATMAN #2
Written by TOM KING
Art by DAVID FINCH and MATT BANNING
Cover by DAVID FINCH
Variant cover by TIM SALE
"I AM GOTHAM" Chapter Two: In issue #2, after a brush with disaster, Batman struggles to reconcile the fate he could be leaving behind for his city, and reaches out to the idealistic new hero, Gotham. But an evil is building that may overcome both Batman and his new ally.
On sale JULY 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

NIGHTWING #1
Written by TIM SEELEY
Art and cover by JAVIER FERNANDEZ
Variant cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
"BETTER THAN BATMAN" Chapter One: Batman taught Nightwing everything he knows -- but what if everything he taught him is wrong? When Dick is stuck with a new mentor who challenges everything Batman taught him, Nightwing has to shatter his concept of justice in order to fight for what he knows is right. Writer Tim Seeley (GRAYSON, BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL) launches Nightwing onto a new quest alongside rising talent Javier Fernandez (RED HOOD/ARSENAL).
On sale JULY 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
#1259  April 21, 2016, 08:50:09 am
    • USA
I'm not a fan of the utility belt (and even then, it's only the color scheme I don't like), but the new Batman costume is leagues better than the nu52 original.

It's also heartening to see that the Batman titles continue to look promising; the Batman editor (Mark Doyle) is one of DC's best, and has really fostered a good group of creative talent there (while also continuing to pull in new and exciting voices).

But hey, it's never a good idea to get too excited. After all, it's DC. Heck, it's not just DC, it's comics in general: they're gonna break your heart.

Today, DC announced that it was "restructuring" their famed Vertigo imprint, a shake-up that will include the departure of long-time Vertigo editor, Shelly Bond. Bond had been with the imprint since it's very founding, and together with Executive Editor Karen Berger (a role which Bond took over after Berger left in 2012), turned the new imprint in a dynamo, pushing out tons of incredible series in all sorts of genres, garnering widespread acclaim (even in the mainstream press!). She was absolutely vital to the imprint's success.

But Vertigo had fallen on hard times, of late. Image Comics has essentially usurped its role as a publisher where writers and artists could produce creator-owned books, outside of the superhero genre. Image offers creators completely creator-owned contracts, giving them all the rights up-front (DC/Vertigo owns partial rights to the books, but I think they all eventually return to the creative teams at some point, after a certain period of time), and the one advantage Vertigo's had over Image (better page rates) was eventually taken away by executives higher-up at DC/Warner Bros, who felt they were paying people too much. And apparently decisions like that, and other friction with the top brass at DC were the reason behind Berger's departure.

So naturally, there's been a huge shift: only a decade ago, Vertigo was the hip place to be, pumping out acclaimed books that got major attention like Fables and Y: The Last Man. But now everyone is doing their big non-superhero books over at Image, and the books Vertigo does put out aren't nearly as popular as stuff like Injection or Sex Criminals. On one hand, a lot of this was unavoidable: Image just developed into (almost by accident) a very compelling publisher for creators, and there wasn't much sense in trying to sell your next big comic idea to Vertigo when you could do it at Image, which is so much more advantageous. So something had to change, DC's gotta figure out what role Vertigo should serve in this new status quo. But it's worrying that this restructuring is eliminating the Executive Editor position; the Vertigo editorial team will now report to Dan DiDio and Jim Lee, over at DC. Which is kinda missing the entire point of Vertigo, of having an imprint walled off from the rest of DC Comics where creators could run (relatively) free and create the stories they wouldn't be able to tell at Marvel or DC?

It's also disheartening to see that Bond has also left (or possibly was forced out from) the imprint she helped make amazing. Hopefully she turns up at Image, much like Karen Berger did!
Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:54:28 am by Jmorphman
#1260  April 21, 2016, 09:33:02 am
    • USA
the one advantage Vertigo's had over Image (better page rates) was eventually taken away by executives higher-up at DC/Warner Bros, who felt they were paying people too much. And apparently decisions like that, and other friction with the top brass at DC were the reason behind Berger's departure.
OK so I went back and checked and it was something different: Vertigo still has one of the best page rates in the industry, but the contracts it signs were changed back in 2010. Vertigo now pays no royalties to the creators unless their book sells over 50,000 copies. And that's just not something that happens anymore for Vertigo books; they were already niche compared to DC proper and Marvel, and as print sales have declined, it's become increasingly impossible for any Vertigo book to sell over 50,000. And DC knows all of this, obviously. It was all just a way for them to cut royalty payments while still keeping up the appearance of potentially paying royalties.

According to various rumors and inside sources, this was the primary reason Karen Berger left. And who can blame her? Vertigo was already on a downward spiral from the highs of the late 90s/early 2000s, but this move greatly accelerated things. And now, 6 years later, this once proud and trailblazing institution appears to be in the process of slowly and quietly being shut down.

comics will break your heart :-\