YesNoOk

Xeno has a rant! Does anyone care? Who knows! (Read 793 times)

Started by Xenomic, December 19, 2012, 08:04:34 am
Share this topic:
Xeno has a rant! Does anyone care? Who knows!
#1  December 19, 2012, 08:04:34 am
  • T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
    • USA
    • Skype - shinxenomic@hotmail.com
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/xenomic/
I do apologize ahead of time for this, but I've really no place else to do this. Not yet anyways...not sure where else atm, but it'll show up eventually. Maybe I should do a video rant or something...

Most of you don't even know what I'm talking about, but this is for my RPG Maker 2k3 game, which has been in the works for almost 4 years now. It is a mixture of Touhou (mainly) and Final Fantasy (uses elements from it, but not everything like some people for some reason thinks it does...). I have considered making a topic for it here, but I don't know how well-received it would be by the MUGEN community and well...yeah...

Anywho, so I've been getting a lot of reviews lately for my RPG Maker game (and by a lot of reviews, I mean like 2-3 reviews), and absolutely none are positive in the slightest bit. I don't know what it is, but it's like some people just nag about things just to nag about them.

The original review, which I asked for about 6 months ago, was negative but not NEARLY as bad as what I've seen recently, and I'll give it to the guy that he DID do a crapton of other reviews and whatnot prior to my game, and probably was tired from all of those and wasn't in the right mindset. At least he was civil to talk to.

Now, I got some reviews on Pooshlmer (don't even bother with that place, it's terrible) and all were negative. The gist of what I got was to switch from RPG Maker 2k3 to RPG Maker VX/VX Ace, which I wouldn't do because A) That costs money and/or I don't have any downloads for it and B) I'd have to recode and redo EVERYTHING I spent almost 4 years on again in a new maker with coding that I don't understand at all, DESPITE the people there telling me that it'd take me half the time to redo the game because I already know what to do (in 2K3's coding anyways, not VX Ace's which uses C++ I believe). And on top of that, a lot of the complaints were on GRAPHICS. GRAPHICS! IN A RPG MAKER GAME! WHERE THE AUTHOR IS NOT A SPRITER! It's like really!? What do they expect, 3D graphics!? Sure, SOME sprites aren't the best, but it's a BETA for a reason people! I can't do everything myself! It's like how some people tell me to make my own music for the game...when I don't know how to do music at ALL, or to sprite when I'm a terrible spriter to begin with. I already have ENOUGH work trying to FINISH the game as it is ;___;

And so tonight I saw a random review on DeviantArt of all places, and IT was negative as well. Like, one of the main complains is how the game doesn't have Final Fantasy crossovers like Chocobos, Cid, spells (which they ARE there, just mostly for enemies and/or for one character that doesn't HAVE anything to use in canon Touhou), etc.. I'm pretty sure I never stated the game was going to include chocobos or whatnot...it's like I have to have a disclaimer saying "TOUHOU FANTASY IS FINAL FANTASY STYLED IN ITS BATTLE SYSTEM AND GAMEPLAY! DON'T EXPECT YOUR LOVER CLOUD TO BE HERE!"...just annoying.

SOME reviews and whatnot did bring up some good points sure (mapping in particular, which has never been one of my strengths), but my god people...it's called a BETA for a reason! B-E-T-A! Not COMPLETE!

Again, I apologize for the random rant...I'll probably do a video of it later, post it up, and then get yelled at by everyone ever and/or laughed at for how I speak or something. >____>
Re: Xeno has a rant! Does anyone care? Who knows!
#2  December 19, 2012, 11:08:08 am
    • Thailand
If everyone is giving you negative reviews, then your game is probably bad. Maybe you should listen to the advice people gave you. Also, if there is a better, updated version of the engine you are using to make your game, then it is probably a great idea to use it. C++ is easy anyway.

Redoing it for a better engine will also allow you to fix bugs and bad things about which you know, and bad things that other people have pointed out.

Otherwise, good luck. And I don't see why you would feel uncomfortable posting your game here in a Mugen community, of all places. Mugen is in the same category as RPGM, as far as I know (I don't know anything about RPGM).
#3  December 19, 2012, 11:20:45 am
    • USA
Well, not EVERYONE has. I've gotten a fair share of good reviews as well in the mix so...I don't know. The vast complaints tend to be centered at the first few dungeons of the game in terms of mapping (which I can understand, though I've never gotten around to those because don't know what to do with them yet) or music (which I can SOMEWHAT understand. 1 GB of music is a lot...still sorting THAT out too...). But really, it's not THAT bad of a game I think. Just people don't go past the starting segments it seems (those that complain about it).

Well again, that means I'd have to redo everything from scratch, which means I'd have to find graphics and stuff and all that, remap everything, recode everything, and that's just too much seeing as how long it's taken me to get to THIS point in 2k3. Like, I can't even PORT anything from 2k3 over to VX Ace IIRC. And combine with no way to get VX Ace (right now anyways), yeah...

I don't know...it just feels awkward to do so (that, and well...I'll admit, I have used some sprites here and there for playable characters. Of course, I never claimed to have done any spriting whatsoever in the entire game, since ya know, it uses actual game graphics (i.e. Darkstalkers, Final Fantasy, KoF, etc.). I guess I COULD...I have it on ONE MUGEN forum only I think...which isn't that active so maybe having it here wouldn't be that bad....I might make a separate post when I get up tomorrow for that then. Maybe...
#4  December 19, 2012, 11:47:29 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Switch to Game Maker and make the next Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden
#5  December 19, 2012, 01:45:02 pm
i've seen a couple of good touhou with classic ff... wait you're the same xenomic who made touhou fantasy? i've been following your project since 09 but life happened and i forgot about you.

#6  December 19, 2012, 04:36:18 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
To be honest the touhou sprites do clash with some of the enemy sprites.

Out of curiousity, these "reviews" were these just people saying "this games sucks blah blah blah TOEHOES blah blah" or were they actually pointing out valid faults? Its kind of hard to tell without seeing the actual reviews.

Also in said places, did you try to be transparent during the development process? I know you uploaded the WIP videos but only reason I'm saying this is it would have been good to get some feedback during the development process from there so you can avoid a major trainwreck. I haven't been able to download the game yet (not sure if I ever will since I've lost interest in Touhou tbh) So i can't give any specifics.
#7  December 19, 2012, 10:52:11 pm
    • USA
For those interested in some of the reviews:

First Review (5 months ago from person who did this after a crapton of reviews of another thing): http://rpgmaker.net/games/3758/reviews/1826/
Later on, after asking for a new review: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,47298.0.html
Most recent one, which is more of a first impression: http://thefantasychronicles.deviantart.com/art/Touhou-Fantasy-First-Impression-335594407

Not going to link to Pooshlmer because that was a trainwreck in itself...

@地獄の花: Yes, that is I. And that is probably one of the older videos too lol. If you REALLY want to see how bad the game was, see the original beta1/2 videos. THAT is bad...compared to the beta4 videos. And like I've said before, not ALL of the graphics are that great, but they're not THAT bad...

@Rice: It's more like the people that grip seem to grip about the skill graphics moreso than the characters (though there is a couple that say that the enemy sprites need to be unified and be more similar, but can't do nothing about that when I don't sprite myself. I can only do so much, savvy?). Of course, doesn't stop people from griping about other things (characters shrinking and/or not there when inflicted with statuses, which is partly due to my original status spriter disappearing on me 2-3 years ago and then after 6 months of trying to contact him, being told he wasn't interested anymore...).

They weren't really ragging on it because it was Touhou. Again, most of what I've seen is about either A) Graphics (which shouldn't be THAT big of an issue at the moment I'd think. Not like it's eye scarring), B) Mapping (Which I'm assuming they're referring to beta1 maps. Only 2 right now are terrible and those will be fixed up later), and C) Music (1 GB worth of music is a lot, I'll grant them that...). Or D) Because the game is split into multiple parts and not one part, because people seem to not understand that Mediafire has a 200 MB limit...and it ALSO doesn't help again, that people keep telling me "Why don't you learn to sprite/make music/code from scratch?" and things, when ya know, I don't have ALL the time in the world to do things like that. I have other things I like to do too! Not like I'm making any money from this at all...

Some DO point out valid faults aye, and I've fixed/intend to fix some of those. Just that most of these reviews seem to focus on things that shouldn't matter that much at this point...

I'm...not sure what you mean by being transparent here x_x;;

I'll post the Touhou Fantasy topic proper here in a few...