YesNoOk

Best and Worst Choices for Rosters (Read 245603 times)

Started by EveryonesKouhai, March 11, 2016, 05:47:09 am
Share this topic:
Re: Best and Worst Choices for Rosters
#241  April 09, 2016, 01:29:20 pm
  • IPPEN SHINDE KOI!
  • TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!
    • Canada
    • keg2810@hotmail.com
    • biggreenmugen.weebly.com/
Best- The SNK side was pretty top-notch, and you can tell they really went out of their way to make unique versions of most of their characters for that game.

No Robert though. It was kinda given that in many games he plays almost akin to Ryo in terms of specials, but if they had've used the 96~98 incarnation, he would've felt different enough.

But hey, we even got Ryuhaku freaking Todo, so that's rad.
#242  October 15, 2016, 02:26:54 am
  • Manchild who likes pancakes
  • Weeabooism 4 the win
    • USA
Smash 4:

Yes: Greninja. Duck Hunt Dog. Bowser Jr. Pacman. Little Mac.

No: The clones. Zoroark not being playable. (WHY?!)

My hat is a pancake.
Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:50:00 pm by Weiss Circal
#243  October 18, 2022, 11:17:50 pm
    • USA
I'd say any character that is just boring/annoying personality-wise while also contributing nothing meaningful to the story would be one of the worst choices. Like Rufus and Abigail in Street Fighter.
#244  October 19, 2022, 12:45:49 am
if only malin was in kof XV
#245  October 19, 2022, 01:30:44 am
    • USA
I’ll nominate Multiversus… Hoo boy. What are Arya Stark and Rick & Morty doing in a game with Steven Universe and Shaggy? And why is Shaggy’s entire moveset largely a nod to a meme? Why are there real people in the game? This doesn’t even cover the big gaps in the roster (Warner Siblings, Samurai Jack, PPG, any RWBY content whatsoever…) The entire roster seems blatantly soulless and corporate, despite the love the creators put into presenting them, and as a result it feels more like the creators doing their best with what the corporation gives them for characters. Do games that do horrible things with established veterans (Sonic in Smash 4, Sindel in MK11) count? Even then, Abigail in SF5 certainly does, the way they removed all of his intellect and intimidation that comes from apparently being the number one henchman of the late Belgier all somehow gone, to the point even his nationality has changed. Perhaps he’s broken from the loss of Belgier, but all the cameos from beyond the grave he does, and the lack of acknowledgement of this, make it murky. To be fair, SFV was otherwise (aside from FANG, Necali, and maybe Falke and Luke) a marked improvement over SFIV’s newcomers, which included very poorly-researched and nigh-offensive characters like Hakan and El Fuerte, boring and often recolored characters like Decapre, Oni, and Abel, and of course RUFUS. Jump Force was another notorious game in the past decade, and one reason was the strange absence of a LOT of female leads like Uravity.

Dishonorable mentions: No Android 18, Cell, or Kid Goku in JUS, extremely limited non-fighting game representation in CVS series, lack of non-2003 characters in Smash-Up. All of these could be somewhat justifiable.
Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 01:36:56 am by Miru962
#246  October 30, 2022, 01:53:39 am
    • USA
To be fair, SFV was otherwise (aside from FANG, Necali, and maybe Falke and Luke) a marked improvement over SFIV’s newcomers, which included very poorly-researched and nigh-offensive characters like Hakan and El Fuerte, boring and often recolored characters like Decapre, Oni, and Abel, and of course RUFUS.
I totally agree with what you said, but I'll at least give Oni a pass. I know you could write him off as "just blue Gouki" but to me, seeing a super-powered Gouki corrupted by Satsui no Hado is freaking epic.
#247  October 30, 2022, 05:59:54 am
    • Brazil
I guess I can include Soul Calibur V here. I don't really mind the inclusion of children and apprentices of previous characters, but I feel like even those guys didn't have the uniqueness that should come with being a new character (save for a few interesting designs), the absence of older versions of characters who were young in previous games was also an issue, since that is one of the things a lot of people look forward to see and, of course, three characters that use random movesets picked from other characters, which... I get including ONE of those, but not three.
#248  November 14, 2022, 12:48:04 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I guess I can include Soul Calibur V here. I don't really mind the inclusion of children and apprentices of previous characters, but I feel like even those guys didn't have the uniqueness that should come with being a new character (save for a few interesting designs), the absence of older versions of characters who were young in previous games was also an issue, since that is one of the things a lot of people look forward to see and, of course, three characters that use random movesets picked from other characters, which... I get including ONE of those, but not three.

Yes, for similar reasons... this SC was the one I resisted the longer time before to buy it.
I brought it in second hand shop for very low price.
#249  November 14, 2022, 05:16:34 pm
    • Germany
Most of the Bonus and Guest Characters in Soulcalibur IV especially the Star Wars ones feel realy out of place in that game.

Don't get me wrong I realy love to play as Darth Vader, but I do that because I'm a Star Wars fan but I still think he is in the wrong game there. Ö_Ö
#250  December 17, 2022, 02:14:55 am
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Do games that do horrible things with established veterans (Sonic in Smash 4, Sindel in MK11) count?

I still find it baffling, the lack of representation that the Sonic franchise ended up getting in Smash as whole, considering how long he's been around. I mean, seriously... having not only a icon status that arguably goes well beyond the gaming scope, but also a established crossover series alongside none other than Mario apparently was never enough to even consider a second playable character - being it a echo fighter or not - in the games that came after Brawl?
Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 02:36:55 am by NDSilva
#251  December 17, 2022, 06:18:23 am
    • Brazil
It does surprise me how they managed to get two characters from Final Fantasy, even though we know that Square was a bitch to get the rights from, but Sonic somehow ends up working by himself and not having any other character, like Tails, Knuckles, Eggman or Shadow.

Since I'm back in this topic, can we talk about CvS2's roster? I'm not gonna talk about CvS1, since I didn't play that, but I'm kinda baffled at how this game looks more like Street Fighter VS King of Fighters than Capcom VS SNK. We had 24 characters from each company (if you include variations), Capcom's side only had three characters that were not from Street Fighter: Morrigan, Kyosuke and Maki (who had yet to show up in the expansion of SFA3, so she was here as a Final Fight character), meaning they had only three characters who weren't from Street Fighter and only one who wasn't from a fighting game franchise. SNK's side had a little more variety, since Rock, Todoh, Haohmaru, Hibiki, Nakoruru and Raiden were not from King of Fighters at the time, though all of them, except Todoh and Hibiki were eventually made playable in that franchise, so a total of 6 characters who weren't from KoF, none of which coming from a non-fighting game franchise.

And even then, some of those characters might as well be from the big franchises mentioned, Rival Schools and Final Fight are from the same universe as Street Fighter, so Kyosuke and Maki might as well be too, SNK's characters were similar, since Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury and Garou were from the same universe as KoF, which means Rock, Todoh and Raiden might as well be KoF characters too, I'm not sure if there were already hints at SamSho being connected at the time. But even then, why so much Street Fighter and so little... everything else? Even if Capcom wanted to focus on fighting games, there is only one Darkstalkers rep, no one from Star Gladiator, no one from Slammasters (even though that is also Street Fighter universe, but still), no one from Power Stone, and if we go out of the fighting games, no one from stuff like Resident Evil, Megaman or any of their non-Final Fight beat'em up games, hell, MvC1 was already out by this point, no? They had the sprites for Captain Commando, Jin Saotome, Megaman, Roll and Strider Hiryu, but none of them were added in. I don't know much about how SNK was doing, but I doubt there was a lack in options in their case.

SvC Chaos also wasn't doing that well in that regard, since most characters also come from Street Fighter and KoF, but at least they tried some weird choices to shake up the roster, like Tessa, Mars People, Zero, Goddess Athena and Red Arremer and because the roster was smaller those choices stood out more, though I will say I don't like how they dropped some fan favourites like Haohmaru and Morrigan (like, I'd put them over choices like Choi and Balrog), but then again, at least they gave Demitri some love, since he doesn't get much of that after Morrigan dethroned him as the face of the franchise.
Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 06:37:00 pm by Macaulyn97
#252  December 18, 2022, 12:41:52 am
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
...you do realize that the CvS series was never about "wacky character picks" like MvC, right?

the CvS series was always about the Masters family and the Garcia family collaborating together to create an in-universe fighting tournament, of course the character roster would be more on the grounded side, so expecting characters like Jill Valentine, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Hayato and Jin Saotome to show up is just straight up silly

that said, I do agree that they could have at least included Falcon from Power Stone, but...eh, what happened happened...
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#253  December 18, 2022, 12:59:39 am
    • Argentina
...you do realize that the CvS series was never about "wacky character picks" like MvC, right?

the CvS series was always about the Masters family and the Garcia family collaborating together to create an in-universe fighting tournament, of course the character roster would be more on the grounded side, so expecting characters like Jill Valentine, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Hayato and Jin Saotome to show up is just straight up silly

that said, I do agree that they could have at least included Falcon from Power Stone, but...eh, what happened happened...

THIS

I wasn't a fan of "they should add Megaman or Dante or Chris Redfield to CVS 3" ideas, CVS is a more "grounded" type of vs game. although Capcom should have more variety in his choises, most of Capcom roster for CVS 2 was mostly Street Fighter Choises, with only 2 characters (Kyosuke and Morrigan, and maybe the Final fight characters) being the only non Street Fighter picks. which was really dissapointing.

...and of all the Street Fighter cast they added they ignored Alex, the face of the "new generation" for some reason.
#254  December 18, 2022, 01:34:54 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I am not sure why people keep repeating "grounded", but then look over the Samurai Showdown characters and Morrigan. If people want Mega Man, I don't think it's unfeasible to want the definitive mascot of Capcom back then in Capcom vs. SNK. Never did personally like both game's rosters either, but MvC's Capcom roster is far more random in comparison. Jin in 1 and 2 especially.
#255  December 18, 2022, 01:43:12 am
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
I am not sure why people keep repeating "grounded", but then look over the Samurai Showdown characters and Morrigan.

This!

SNK showed multiple times to be more fond of "wacky" roster choices than Capcom - see also SvC: The Match of The Millennium, and Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.

This is why I probably feel more entertained with the idea of a "SvC3" (yep, 3, cause MoTM also rocks and everyone should check it out) than a "CvS3", personally.
Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 02:53:45 am by NDSilva
#256  December 18, 2022, 01:47:40 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I don't personally have interest in Match of the Millennium, I personally prefer SvC Chaos's bleak but consistent original world and classic quotes. That game's roster was a mess in itself, but special middle finger to Demitri. It makes me deeply happy so many people would have wanted to see Falcon though.
#257  December 18, 2022, 02:26:00 am
    • Brazil
I am not sure why people keep repeating "grounded", but then look over the Samurai Showdown characters and Morrigan. If people want Mega Man, I don't think it's unfeasible to want the definitive mascot of Capcom back then in Capcom vs. SNK. Never did personally like both game's rosters either, but MvC's Capcom roster is far more random in comparison. Jin in 1 and 2 especially.
THANK YOU!!! My thoughts exactly. It's really easy to just repeat "grounded" and pretend Morrigan, Nakoruru, Haohmaru and Hibiki have a "grounded" reason to show up there that no other franchises have, and also pretend there is any "ground" in SF and KoF at all, considering SF already connected to the Strider universe and KoF pulled SamSho and those two random girls in KoF XIV to it's own. It's a non-canon crossover, people, maybe "grounded" could work as an excuse if it was a story-heavy game, but it isn't.
Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 02:30:48 am by Macaulyn97
#258  December 18, 2022, 03:52:33 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
I, for one am not opposed to expanding the franchise for crossovers, but the reasons Samsho chars and Morrigan was possible/acceptable was because their debut games were all fighting games.
#259  December 18, 2022, 05:11:01 am
    • Brazil
But if the reason for not having characters like Megaman in was making a "grounded" story roster, those characters should have never been there, right? Morrigan was never canon in Street Fighter (unless you consider her cameo in Ken's SFA2 stage), Hibiki also wasn't ever canon in KoF and though SamSho eventually became canon in KoF XIV, that had yet to happen. It feels like making up excuses to defend a "groundedness" that never truly existed.
#260  December 18, 2022, 08:07:32 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
ehhhhh... Though I'm not an advocate in pushing "grounded" characters, I am against putting in random characters for the sake of being random. Noctis and Negan from Tekken 7 are great examples. Those two were as random as a teletubby joining Tekken.

However, Megaman was already in MVC before I believe, so yeah, it is a little weird for not including him in.