YesNoOk

Making Higher-Res character sprites? (Read 4321 times)

Started by extravagant, November 23, 2019, 05:41:50 pm
Making Higher-Res character sprites?
#1  November 23, 2019, 05:41:50 pm
    • USA
Hello, I think I've seen a method where a guy took spirtes from a pretty old game, and it looked like he doubled the resolution on the character, then hand drew in some more details. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about this method? Is it possible?

It's kinda like taking old SF2 sprites, double the resolution, and drawing in more details and cleaning up the shade.

UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
Re: Making Higher-Res character sprites?
#2  November 23, 2019, 11:55:31 pm
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
The example you are posting is more about a conversion of some capcom sprites to kof styled sprites (snk).

About what you said, there should be a few filters online to double the resolution and also something to apply yo the edges to make them less square'ish, but I dont know much about it.

There is a page called 2xwaifu or waifu2x that makes low res image to some kind of hi res, thats the only thing I know so far.
            Zorf Giudecca
#3  November 24, 2019, 11:10:37 am
And if you want to make the sprite have more resolution / detail, you scale them and edit them manually.

Like you said here:
It's kinda like taking old SF2 sprites, double the resolution, and drawing in more details and cleaning up the shade.

there's no filter that does it for you, you have to put the effort and make it look right.
#4  November 24, 2019, 06:31:41 pm
    • USA
The example you are posting is more about a conversion of some capcom sprites to kof styled sprites (snk).

About what you said, there should be a few filters online to double the resolution and also something to apply yo the edges to make them less square'ish, but I dont know much about it.

There is a page called 2xwaifu or waifu2x that makes low res image to some kind of hi res, thats the only thing I know so far.

you're right, it does look more KOF... how were you able to tell??

And if you want to make the sprite have more resolution / detail, you scale them and edit them manually.

Like you said here:

there's no filter that does it for you, you have to put the effort and make it look right.

Yeah! Ofc I am not talking about filters, filters just smudge everything and make it look like water color or something xD

I was talking about hand drawing in new details. Basically, I don't want to draw new sprites completely from scratch, just upscale the resolution a bit and draw in new details and smoothen it out, add some shade, etc. I never did this before, so I was curious if it was possible.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#5  November 26, 2019, 10:03:40 pm