YesNoOk

Questions about IKEMEN (Read 6391 times)

Started by DNZRX768, July 07, 2021, 06:06:26 am
Share this topic:
Questions about IKEMEN
#1  July 07, 2021, 06:06:26 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Long story short: I am interested in maybe converting from MUGEN 1.0 to IKEMEN Go, but I do have some questions about IKEMEN that I would like have answered first:

1.) How stable is IKEMEN in comparison to MUGEN 1.0? I got started with WinMUGEN and that can be unstable and can crash at unintended moments. MUGEN 1.0 is so stable that any crash is either because the user did something or the character or stage did something; not one crash happened because of MUGEN. Is IKEMEN very stable, or is it stable but not very much so?

2.) How much effort is needed to convert characters, stages, etc. from MUGEN 1.0 to IKEMEN? Is it as simple as just dumping a character into their folders, or will coding and graphics editing be needed? I have hundreds, if not thousands, of characters and stages within my collection and it would be a nightmare to convert them all if it is needed.

3.) How secure is the program? As in, does the program connect to the Internet for updates, or can it run without ever needing the Internet?

4.) What features that IKEMEN offer over MUGEN as:
- A player? And
- A creator?

5.) Are there any issues that I should keep an eye out when developing for and using IKEMEN?

6.) What are the requirements of the computer to run IKEMEN?

7.) How easy to configure and run IKEMEN in comparison to MUGEN?

8.) Are their any developer tools for IKEMEN, because I doubt Fighters Factory's creations can work with IKEMEN...
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
Re: Questions about IKEMEN
#2  July 07, 2021, 08:37:54 am
  • the Suicidal Bastard
  • "I want to see and understand the world outside."
    • Philippines
Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 08:40:25 am by Jmorphman
#3  July 07, 2021, 09:24:15 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
I'm not the best person to answer this since I don't use Ikemen that much, but from my experience:

1. It's stable, yes. I don't even remember if it ever crashed for me.

2. If you're talking about Ikemen GO specifically, almost no editing is needed. 99% of characters and stages made for MUGEN works on Ikemen GO. Screenpacks and lifebars also works, however, Ikemen has a lot of new features and if you want to use them, you need to edit them a little. You just need to include the things you want in the screenpack.

3. You can run it without internet. I don't think it updates itself, you'd need to download updates manually. You can play online too but ONLY if you allow it, so, yeah, it is secure.

4. Now that's a lot, is not so simple to list them all here. But my favorites:
- Online matches
- Many characters in the same slot in select screen
- Animated portraits
- Different stages for the same character
- Different music for each round
- Different music for when a character has low health
- You can now make real secret / unlockable characters instead of just placing them out of the screen
- Better control over the arcade mode, (you can set the difficult, AI ramping, bosses, and much more)
- Score system
- Tag system
- Move list

5. Not that I'm aware...? I mean, a few things are different from MUGEN but, nothing to worry about like that...

6. That's a thing, because Ikemen GO specifically lags for me, there are times it's unplayable. My laptop is not that good tho, Intel Family HD, 4GB RAM. I heard from some people that it runs smooth and from others that it lags a little, so... I can't really tell what you need, sorry. Also the other Ikemen versions runs a little better in my laptop, maybe because I can disable OpenGL in those and can't in Ikemen GO.

7. Basically is the same as MUGEN for the most part. There are a few files that you'll be editing that are different but still easy to understand.

8. Well, FF is still the best tool even for Ikemen. Ikemen is not a completely different thing like people think (I thought it was too), they made everything very easy and very close to MUGEN.

I hope it helps even if it's a little vague. You should definitely look into their discord server, they are very friendly and will be glad to help:
https://discord.gg/xkJr9xs
#4  July 07, 2021, 09:52:34 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
Long story short: I am interested in maybe converting from MUGEN 1.0 to IKEMEN Go, but I do have some questions about IKEMEN that I would like have answered first:

1.) How stable is IKEMEN in comparison to MUGEN 1.0? I got started with WinMUGEN and that can be unstable and can crash at unintended moments. MUGEN 1.0 is so stable that any crash is either because the user did something or the character or stage did something; not one crash happened because of MUGEN. Is IKEMEN very stable, or is it stable but not very much so?

2.) How much effort is needed to convert characters, stages, etc. from MUGEN 1.0 to IKEMEN? Is it as simple as just dumping a character into their folders, or will coding and graphics editing be needed? I have hundreds, if not thousands, of characters and stages within my collection and it would be a nightmare to convert them all if it is needed.

3.) How secure is the program? As in, does the program connect to the Internet for updates, or can it run without ever needing the Internet?

4.) What features that IKEMEN offer over MUGEN as:
- A player? And
- A creator?

5.) Are there any issues that I should keep an eye out when developing for and using IKEMEN?

6.) What are the requirements of the computer to run IKEMEN?

7.) How easy to configure and run IKEMEN in comparison to MUGEN?

8.) Are their any developer tools for IKEMEN, because I doubt Fighters Factory's creations can work with IKEMEN...

1. From my usage of it, it's as stable as mugen 1.0/1.1

2. Most if not all mugen characters will run ikemen GO plus without much issue. The only issue with stages is the with the delta trick (AKA how 3D stages worked in mugen) but that is going to be fixed in the next release. It can also handle mugen motifs which the main difference is that rather than being under a mugen.cfg, the motif string is located under "Save/config.json" which is generated at first run of the engine.

3. No, the program is completely open sourced and updates are on the github releases. The only time the program networks is in an online match.

Player:
  • Online matches
  • Bonus game modes
  • Being able to face an AI without having to use the debug keys
  • Native 3v3,4v4 simul and tag
  • CvS2 Ratio Mode
  • Finer Adjustment of settings
  • Built in red life, dizzy system, scoring system, and movelist
Creator:
Both:
  • Ports for windows 32/64 bit, linux, and macOS
  • Cross compatibility between them (E.G. someone can do an online match on windows when their friend has a mac)

5. Said issues that crop up with the engine have been listed but for basic development with the engine, it's completely fine.

Basic Requirements:
A graphics card that supports OpenGL 2.0 or later
Golang
  • Windows vista or newer.
  • Mac OS Catalina or newer
  • Linux with MESA, OpenAL, and GLibC support
There have been issues with AMD processors and Graphics cards, however intel CPUS and nividia GPUS work without issue

7. There's a little bit of a learning curve where things are compared to mugen, (as I mentioned the motif config being in save rather than data) but it's not to dissimilar that it wouldn't be hard to figure out

8. There is A patch for the Ikemen go state controls and triggers for FF3 as well as a syntax for notepad++
#5  July 13, 2021, 01:16:25 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
True Stage interactivity via AttachedChar, multiple trigger redirection, and RedirectID are more than enough to move into IKEMEN.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#6  July 13, 2021, 06:03:10 am
  • Blade for hire
    • USA
Thank you for the informations, that was alot to take in but not to bad
#7  July 15, 2021, 01:22:10 am
  • Ryoga
    • Brazil
    • www.vgbr.com/forum
- Different stages for the same character
- Different music for each round
- Different music for when a character has low health
- You can now make real secret / unlockable characters instead of just placing them out of the screen
- Better control over the arcade mode, (you can set the difficult, AI ramping, bosses, and much more)
- Score system
- Tag system
- Move list

This is very good.

I need option for order select in team mode like the King of Fighters.

Spoiler: Not Safe For Work (click to see content)
Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 05:00:05 am by P-Chan
#8  August 24, 2021, 08:48:58 am
  • I can take'em out with my fists
Is the tournament mode still in the works?
#9  August 24, 2021, 09:15:52 pm
Is the tournament mode still in the works?
no

it was on my todo list but I've lost interest. To much effort to implement something that barely anyone would use (considering it would be offline only because online is limited to 2 players), to awkward to implement via system.def parameters (screenpack customization the way I've planned it would require tens if not hundreds of new parameters).
Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 10:14:56 pm by K4thos
#10  August 25, 2021, 05:58:55 pm
  • I can take'em out with my fists
 :msad:
#11  August 31, 2021, 11:21:44 pm
    • USA
Question. How do I configure the AI Ramping, Bosses? And turning on Tag?
#12  August 31, 2021, 11:58:48 pm
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org