YesNoOk

custom sprite palette not working good (Read 3465 times)

Started by ShadowHand BXR, November 05, 2020, 04:41:53 am
Share this topic:
custom sprite palette not working good
#1  November 05, 2020, 04:41:53 am
    • USA
i thought i was past the point of palette trouble,

so been trying to get some of my  Juri sprites and custom animations  to work on a palette i made, but it always turns to some muck ; gets shades wrong, and color loss after applying that palette (manually picked  the colors it was using).
 i revamped that axe kick and gave more details/lighting, but custom palette just doesn't apply the shades correctly, resulting in color loss.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this animated gif shows 3 different palettes
1st frame = custom palette,   2 = 32 colors (auto),  3 = 64 colors(auto)

check this one, same problem.. i have made different dedicated palettes ranging from 56 - 80 colors for character color, but it messes up the shading i did on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using auto and selecting amount of  colors will give the best look for the most part but you CANT use your own master palette. (that means no costume change, and i dont know whats the process for later correcting the palette, once the sprite file is made if its even easy process at all.)

Choosing Custom Palette gives bad results. (skin shades look bad, other color shades not filled in as wanted)
info
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
questions:
1. Is there any other free program (besides photoshop) for correctly applying this custom palette accurately without color loss or the shading? also how to batch apply palette
2. i dont see a way to import a

im using The GIMP-INATOR,

Re: custom sprite palette not working good
#2  November 05, 2020, 08:43:48 am
    • USA
I know you'll think I'm being an asshole, but have you tried just using FF3's import?  I've never done anything THIS detailed, but I've straight up just forced a palette of my building onto not-so-perfect sprites and it worked alright.  I remember I did an SFF fix for a character with sprites that had been ripped with bilinear filtering (scaled to screen, not from data) and I only needed one bodge entry in my palette to get the sprites to match the original source.
#3  November 05, 2020, 08:54:28 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
When I've made palettes for my larger, 3D ripped sprites, I do a manual color dissection. I get as many frames as I can, and I CUT out "the blue parts" and the red, and the green, and on and on. I put the like color images into one BIG image. Once I have all the giant images of all the different sections of colors I have, I decide how many colors "the blue parts" get. Is the blue part super important? Does it have thousands of colors, or just 20 as it is? How many total colors am I going for for the character? (I use all 255 colors for the character and put FX in a different palette). 
Once I figure out "the blue parts" get 20 colors, I'll use photoshop, or irfanview, to reduce the colors down to 21. You need to have the 1 extra for the bg color.
Once ALL of the Huge images have their colors reduced, I manually build a palette using Fighter Factory 3.
After that, I'll import a couple key frames to see how the palette is holding up. Then all the rest if it looks good.

I can easily tell you, I'd be content with the full RGB image dropping to the Auto version as the final outcome.  Though you may have done the shading with 7 colors, photoshop is doing some blending. There's over 255 colors in just that part of the leg. If you don't want the colors to blend, you should use pencil mode, or try your hand in Paint.

You image would only need to have 5 large images made, The Hair, Skin, Shorts, Yellow legs, Blue legs. Each part could get 50 colors and you'd be fine. The hair could use less if you think the skin needs more.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#4  November 06, 2020, 04:18:43 am
    • USA
 i can get away with 40-60 colors if it chooses the palette i set, other wise its gonna be like 120 colors on AUTO just to preserve the look of the shading, and no 2 sprites would have same Palette, then I'd have to come back and redo palettes but organize them into one like you say... i was hoping to just breeze through this process

@ODB the thing is i had already set aside about 8 colors for each part, but they werent exact ones used but they were shades on the character that i colored with, I dont see why indexing should be an annoyance ...  when doing AUTO on lower color counts, it  disregards the highlights i worked hard on and gives the darker shade instead, OR it combines some critical shades to one,  thats the problem with AUTO(LOW COLORCOUNT), been trying to make the palette work for weeks now, the palettes better now and more colors but not indexing to the ones you really want

@notagoodname
i forced the palette onto it, ,
sprite import only shows ffe file so i cant do that, 

the palette in this screen shot is the one i want to use, which was custom made then sorted in FF3 by hue

The Palette Pain Saga continues... I will crush this Palette to bits

UPdate
Tried Adapting image to the palette and it worked for alot of sprites in FF3, (slow process , manually done in palette editor).. issue still remains that some shading is lost when that palette is applied,
Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 05:02:16 am by ShadowHand
#5  November 08, 2020, 11:29:41 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
There's little you can do in the way of color-loss. It's just the nature of the beast.
Try importing with the palette flipped. Photoshop to FF3 seems to flip the palette.
Also, you may want to create a version of the palette in FF3, named 7,18. Where none of the other colors are represented except the ones that are used for the character. This way none of the colors can jump ship and mess you up. Once everything looks good, you can use FF3 to Force Palette onto the GROUP. So you'd have it as 7,18, then scroll, or input (cant remember right now) 1,1 or 0,1 whichever you use.

8 colors for that skin is going to leave spots. I'd suggest 16 to 24 minimum.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv