YesNoOk

Mario Mario by SeanAltly (and Jango) (Updated 10/18 with even more fixes) (Read 69167 times)

Started by Sean Altly, October 07, 2020, 09:45:24 pm
Share this topic:
Mario Mario by SeanAltly (and Jango) (Updated 10/18 with even more fixes)
#1  October 07, 2020, 09:45:24 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly

Years ago Jango commissioned these sprites from me but never made anything with them. When I found that out, I dug them up (I was afraid I might have lost them, but they were buried deep in an external HD I had from my last PC that died) and made him for Capcom vs The World, and also for public release, my first in quite some time.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/file/shopy7lf1shgaaa/CvTWMario.rar/file

SCREENSHOTS IN SPOILER:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

CREDITS

Jango for commissioning these sprites
Patrick Henry as the voice of Mario
Nintendo for the original character
Bob Hoskins for his portrayal in the maligned but pretty fun Super Mario Bros. movie
MFG for always being supportive and fun
Ryon for his FX pack that I've been using for like 12 years now
Rajaa for his Dhalsim because I snatched some Fire FX from them that look custom
Some code snippets are def from other people but it's been so long I can't remember where they came from, if I forgot you, let me know and I will update this!

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:58:42 am by Sean Altly
Re: Mario Mario by SeanAltly (and Jango)
#2  October 07, 2020, 10:09:25 pm
  • The Vo-Cool-oid
  • Do you want to listen to the waves?
    • USA
Already?! Nah, I must be dreaming XD
He who is brave is free! - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
#3  October 07, 2020, 10:10:17 pm
Can you put another link that isn't Sendspace?
#4  October 07, 2020, 10:32:27 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Thats rad as hell. Great show.
#5  October 07, 2020, 10:39:11 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
I FUCKING LOVE YOU SEAN! hahahahahhahahha!
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#6  October 07, 2020, 10:46:44 pm
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
I never thought that these sprites would end up an actual character.  This is great.
#7  October 07, 2020, 10:48:51 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA

Download Last Bout now!
#8  October 07, 2020, 11:21:51 pm
  • Indeed
I can't believe I'm about to play as Bob Hoskins
#9  October 07, 2020, 11:22:06 pm
  • I must continue my training...
Issa him! Maaaaario!

This makes Mario kinda gangsta tho.

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#10  October 08, 2020, 02:01:22 am
    • Mexico
Already downloaded. Been having some nice fun with him so far.

That said, I'd like to point out one major issue with the character: his Bob-Omb hyper doesn't consume energy at all. You do need at least one full bar to use, but it doesn't actually consume it, and thus, it allows you to constantly spam it without any issues.

Hopefully I can find some more things to point out.

Congratulations for the release, Sean.
#11  October 08, 2020, 02:04:05 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Ohhh damn, rookie mistake there, fixing now

EDIT: Alright, I updated both links to fix the issue, thanks for catching it so quick!

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 02:07:41 am by Sean Altly
#12  October 08, 2020, 02:25:27 am
  • In a few minutes, bitch
    • Germany
Amazing. Thank you so much for sharing, Sean :)!
#13  October 08, 2020, 02:44:55 am
    • Mexico
Ohhh damn, rookie mistake there, fixing now

EDIT: Alright, I updated both links to fix the issue, thanks for catching it so quick!

You're welcome.  ;)
It's thanks to you that I regained interest in MUGEN and tried to sprite, so I want to show my appreciation in whatever ways possible.

Anyways, found another bunchs of issues, two involving that Bob-Omb hyper:
*I ran into this one in a mirror match. Basically, if the hyper collides with the tool projectile, the latter turns into a clone and renders the special useless for the rest of the round. I'm sure not if this is the Bob-Omb's fault or the tool's, but either way, I tried to get the tool to collide with other projectiles and the fiew times I succeeded, I couldn't create a clone, and the same happened when I got the Bob-Omb to collide with those (funnily enough, most projectiles are too high for the bomb to reach them, and the ones that have elemental effects like Sub-Zero's blast cause the bomb to change palettes when hitting Mario but that's a rather minor problem), so it's an issue involving only those two attacks.
Spoiler: A picture of the clone so you can see (click to see content)
*The hyper also seems to be unblockable everywhere but in the air (even then, sometimes blocking in the air doesn't work).
*Found out this about the fireball special: if I use QCF+WP I get a fast projectile with a decent damage, but if I use QCF+SP, I get a slower and weaker attack; when it should be the other way around.
#14  October 08, 2020, 05:03:11 am
  • If you want peace...Prepare for War
    • USA
I am so glad that this gem didn't get lost to history and was able to finally see a release. He plays great and his sprites/animations are amazing and his moveset is awesome. Great work and thank you very much for sharing. It would be pretty cool if the Bob-Omb hyper had some slow down during the explosion, but only if it actually connects. Might add some more pizzazz (I guess) to it. Aside from that, and even if not, he's perfect. Thanks again.
#15  October 08, 2020, 06:52:27 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Its so amazing to finally be able to try him.
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#16  October 08, 2020, 05:10:42 pm
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
Congrats on the release, he's a lot of fun, and the sprite work is great!
#17  October 08, 2020, 05:22:13 pm
  • SNK is life
Yooo the John Luigizamo cameo sprites are *Chef's Kiss

Great stuff as always Sean
#18  October 08, 2020, 06:20:18 pm

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
[/quote said:
#19  October 08, 2020, 06:45:35 pm
Cool.. time to look for a nice Brooklyn themed stage to accommodate him now
#20  October 08, 2020, 07:58:10 pm

[/quote said:
#21  October 08, 2020, 08:49:20 pm
#22  October 08, 2020, 09:27:52 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Yes! finally the "weirdiest" incarnation of Mario.
Into a solid character.

I'm very curious to see or know about the process of sprite creation.
How the base of Raiden have been used in some animations without keeping a pixel of it.
I'm curious about the steps before having this result.
#23  October 09, 2020, 05:13:08 am
  • Fist of Nothingness
  • I'm not powerful.
    • Mexico
    • j_llamosa@hotmail.com
This character... this day... this game behind... this, this is called happiness. Thanks dear Sean.
#24  October 11, 2020, 03:34:55 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
@Nemuresu

Thanks again, I'm looking into the clone issue, I think it's some improperly coded hit overrides as I don't use them often. The other stuff is easy, thanks for pointing it out. I clearly should have tested that super way more than I did. I'll have a fix up soon.

EDIT: Fixed! Updated the links in the first post!

@Nedflandeurse

I think I have a more detailed description of this in another thread, but basically I apply a silhouette palette to the original sprites (in this case it was a lot of Raiden, Chang, and a couple of other sources), then export them. Then I resize as needed and draw over the silhouette with new pixels.

@Everyone else

Thanks a lot for the kind words, I'm glad people are having fun and appreciate the work. If you find any more bugs, let me know!

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 04:22:47 am by Sean Altly
Re: Mario Mario by SeanAltly (and Jango) (Updated 10/10 with bug fixes)
#25  October 11, 2020, 09:56:03 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
Can't download the update. My computer keeps saying it detects a virus in it and says this: Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml

I used both links and it blocked both of them. I downloaded the previous version before and it was fine, so what's going on?
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#26  October 11, 2020, 11:15:02 am
  • The other Indian
    • India
Can't download the update. My computer keeps saying it detects a virus in it and says this: Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml

I used both links and it blocked both of them. I downloaded the previous version before and it was fine, so what's going on?

Seems to be just you. False positive.
#27  October 11, 2020, 11:55:07 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
Seems to be just you. False positive.
Yep, it is. Tried downloading through a different browser and it was successful without a hitch. Guess Chrome didn't like the file for some reason.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#28  October 11, 2020, 12:42:56 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
@Nemuresu

Thanks again, I'm looking into the clone issue, I think it's some improperly coded hit overrides as I don't use them often. The other stuff is easy, thanks for pointing it out. I clearly should have tested that super way more than I did. I'll have a fix up soon.

EDIT: Fixed! Updated the links in the first post!

@Nedflandeurse

I think I have a more detailed description of this in another thread, but basically I apply a silhouette palette to the original sprites (in this case it was a lot of Raiden, Chang, and a couple of other sources), then export them. Then I resize as needed and draw over the silhouette with new pixels.

@Everyone else

Thanks a lot for the kind words, I'm glad people are having fun and appreciate the work. If you find any more bugs, let me know!

Thanks for your reply.
The result is really good.
#29  October 12, 2020, 07:30:48 am
  • I make characters with huge asses!
    • USA
    • www.patreon.com/Kazecat
He really is a lot of fun!  I love ideas like this in mugen and It was a real joy to play.  Thank you so much for your creation!
#30  October 12, 2020, 08:28:16 am
  • LetPlaySomeGames
    • USA
    • mastergem117@gmail.com
    • https://mastergem117.wixsite.com/miltjrsite
I was more surprise on how much fun he was to play
#31  October 12, 2020, 09:01:07 am
  • Michael Romance
  • I wish you peace!
    • Brazil
#32  October 13, 2020, 05:43:13 pm
  • I make characters with huge asses!
    • USA
    • www.patreon.com/Kazecat

I did a run of arcade mode with Mario Mario going up against a bunch of my fat characters.  It may be helpful if you wanna notice some things of his tool kit that may need work or just wanna watch someone use your characters for a while.  Despite the challenge I had a fantastic time, so I really appreciate the work you put into this character. 

CW: My characters clearly aren't everyone's cup of tea. 

DW

#33  October 17, 2020, 04:21:31 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Aye! Leave it to my boi Sean to peak some interest in me. God bless you and Jango for this lol. I'll try him out and hit you with some feedback later.

Update:

Alright, so after sitting down with him for a bit, I like what's going on here. There is some stuff I want to address/suggest though to help refine him a bit:

-Big Water Damage super should be unblockable for airborne opponents to increase it's effectiveness. Also, while this isn't particularly important, I wanted to note that the beam fx for it shouldn't be effected by hitpause. It makes it look odd that it doesn't flow thru p2, pausing as it hits.

-Your chaining set up feels a bit odd. Mainly you don't allow LP -> LK with the chaining. You should, along with air chaining as well. I honestly would suggest allowing for chaining to work as it does in the Capcom games, with punches to kicks so long as it's the same strength level or higher. So, I'm suggesting you allow him to do LP > LK > HP > HK. While also allowing deviation between crouching and standing attacks.

-(EX)Tool Time restricts Mario from using it again until one he uses prior is completely destroyed. This hurts his zoning potential very much. It's odd, because you have his Flameball projectile restricted properly, but not Tool Time. He should be allowed to throw another tool once a prior tool is no longer in a active state. I believe he can use Tool Time and Fireball together, which should be retained.

-Can't perform crouching normals from running. I also think he can't perform any specials or super either from running. Only standing normals.

-While not really important, my OCD won't allow me to not mention: His Fireball projectile should destroy itself once off screen. Not go into it's disperse state.

-Jump in combos feel strict for him. I'm assuming because you don't have it to where he can perform grounded attacks during his landing state. Stateno 52 commonly, but Idk if you changed this for your game. At any rate, I suggest allowing this, because the extra ticks you have to wait before attacking from your landing state, allows p2 to recover.

-I'm not sure his Flameball projectile should knock down p2. It travels slower than a traditional projectile as you noted in the readme. When a projectile behaves this way, it's usually used to allow the player to apply pressure to opponents. He has the tiny Ba-Bombs to help with this, along with Tool Time, though if the Fireball hits, it'll knock p2 down and Mario can't capitalize on it. If it didn't knock down, it would help him get in on p2 for CQC damage.

-Maybe allow Thwomp Stomper to be done in the air also? It'd give him a nice little gimmick option with changing the trajectory on his air approach.

I may have some more later when I sit down with him a bit more. I think I did have something else, but can't remember right now. :P
Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 07:26:52 pm by DW
#34  October 18, 2020, 01:28:24 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20

Sean and Jango, you did a great job. Never expect to see such amazing version of the Mario from the infamous movie. :)
#35  October 18, 2020, 04:05:32 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
My replies in bold, good sir!

Aye! Leave it to my boi Sean to peak some interest in me. God bless you and Jango for this lol. I'll try him out and hit you with some feedback later.

Update:

Alright, so after sitting down with him for a bit, I like what's going on here. There is some stuff I want to address/suggest though to help refine him a bit:

-Big Water Damage super should be unblockable for airborne opponents to increase it's effectiveness. Also, while this isn't particularly important, I wanted to note that the beam fx for it shouldn't be effected by hitpause. It makes it look odd that it doesn't flow thru p2, pausing as it hits. Good point on both counts, fixed!

-Your chaining set up feels a bit odd. Mainly you don't allow LP -> LK with the chaining. You should, along with air chaining as well. I honestly would suggest allowing for chaining to work as it does in the Capcom games, with punches to kicks so long as it's the same strength level or higher. So, I'm suggesting you allow him to do LP > LK > HP > HK. While also allowing deviation between crouching and standing attacks. The chaining is like that for all the CvTW characters save for a few of the smaller faster ones who do less damage.

-(EX)Tool Time restricts Mario from using it again until one he uses prior is completely destroyed. This hurts his zoning potential very much. It's odd, because you have his Flameball projectile restricted properly, but not Tool Time. He should be allowed to throw another tool once a prior tool is no longer in a active state. I believe he can use Tool Time and Fireball together, which should be retained. Alright, just fixed this, thanks for pointing it out!

-Can't perform crouching normals from running. I also think he can't perform any specials or super either from running. Only standing normals. Whoops, the crouching normal thing is an oversight in the CvTW template I keep meaning to fix. However, as far as specials and supers, is there something I'm missing there because it seems like as soon as you start to enter a command while running it will take him out of the runstate anyway. I'm not sure how you could enter a special or super command while running that wouldn't cause him to stop running. Or is this an AI thing?

-While not really important, my OCD won't allow me to not mention: His Fireball projectile should destroy itself once off screen. Not go into it's disperse state. How can you tell if it's off screen? This is a genuine question, not sarcasm or anything. Or can you just tell from the code?

-Jump in combos feel strict for him. I'm assuming because you don't have it to where he can perform grounded attacks during his landing state. Stateno 52 commonly, but Idk if you changed this for your game. At any rate, I suggest allowing this, because the extra ticks you have to wait before attacking from your landing state, allows p2 to recover. I have it so he gets control after 3 ticks, which it turns out is the entire length of his landing anim. I can fix this as well.

-I'm not sure his Flameball projectile should knock down p2. It travels slower than a traditional projectile as you noted in the readme. When a projectile behaves this way, it's usually used to allow the player to apply pressure to opponents. He has the tiny Ba-Bombs to help with this, along with Tool Time, though if the Fireball hits, it'll knock p2 down and Mario can't capitalize on it. If it didn't knock down, it would help him get in on p2 for CQC damage. Okay, so I made it so that the HP one knocks down but the LP one doesn't.

-Maybe allow Thwomp Stomper to be done in the air also? It'd give him a nice little gimmick option with changing the trajectory on his air approach. I may add this, but the idea is he's using the boots to lift up into the air for the stomp, so it feels weird to me to have him do it mid-air, though I guess I coule reason that he's always using the lifts to jump, so ehhhh

I may have some more later when I sit down with him a bit more. I think I did have something else, but can't remember right now. :P
Hit me with it when you remember!

Thanks for the feedback man, I will update the link soon with the fixes!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/S5kAFtYuWyY[/youtube]

Sean and Jango, you did a great job. Never expect to see such amazing version of the Mario from the infamous movie. :)

Awesome, thanks! My friend Pat (the basis for Sabotage) who voiced him, is really getting a kick out of all the videos people are making.

Download Last Bout now!
#36  October 18, 2020, 04:08:42 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Pat did top notch voicing Mario Mario. I was thinking you got the man himself voicing this character. Very convincing VA work on his part.
Re: Mario Mario by SeanAltly (and Jango) (Updated 10/17 with fixes)
#37  October 18, 2020, 04:23:40 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Thanks, I'll let him know, we had a lot of fun writing and recording the lines.

Also, I updated the first page with the new fixes from DW's feedback! Gonna just go with the Mediafire link from now on since I can update the file without changing the link itself.

Download Last Bout now!
#38  October 18, 2020, 04:47:55 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Awesome, thanks! My friend Pat (the basis for Sabotage) who voiced him, is really getting a kick out of all the videos people are making.

Oh, great to know that Sean. Pat did well in the VA for Mario Mario. :)
#39  October 18, 2020, 04:51:30 am
  • Original characters are my forte.
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/bane84/
Gonna just go with the Mediafire link from now on since I can update the file without changing the link itself.

Just out of curiosity: you've got a site right here at MugenGuild.  Is there a reason you choose to host your characters at a file sharing site instead of your personal site?
#40  October 18, 2020, 04:59:35 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
A user that isn't really around anymore used to handle that mostly. I ended up figuring out how to use it but haven't messed with it in like 7 or 8 years I think and since I've been back I've been too lazy to redownload the FTP and relearn everything. :/

Download Last Bout now!
#41  October 18, 2020, 05:12:03 am
    • USA
Appreciate the kind words everyone about the VA.

-Pat(Sabotage)(Mario Mario)

DW

#42  October 18, 2020, 03:43:20 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Whoops, the crouching normal thing is an oversight in the CvTW template I keep meaning to fix. However, as far as specials and supers, is there something I'm missing there because it seems like as soon as you start to enter a command while running it will take him out of the runstate anyway. I'm not sure how you could enter a special or super command while running that wouldn't cause him to stop running. Or is this an AI thing?

Well, if you're fast enough, you can actually pull off certain moves during running if the coding allows you to. So, adding a Stateno=[100,101] trigger for example. If 100 is running and 101 is the runstop state. You add the runstop state for when you will in fact stop running most of the time while trying to input a special/super command, though you'll still be able to do it from the runstop state, which leads into standing and it will still work.

How can you tell if it's off screen? This is a genuine question, not sarcasm or anything. Or can you just tell from the code?

Use FrontEdgeDist:

[State #, DestroySelf]
type = DestroySelf
trigger1 = Time > 0 && FrontEdgeDist <= -60

^This should work well enough generally for most projectiles. You can increase the distance value for larger projectiles, so they don't destroy themselves prematurely.

I have it so he gets control after 3 ticks, which it turns out is the entire length of his landing anim. I can fix this as well.

Not regain control during his landing state, just add an additional trigger to all his grounded attacks, that allow him to use them during the landing state. So just: trigger# = StateNo = 52; Added onto all his ground based normals, special, and supers.

I may add this, but the idea is he's using the boots to lift up into the air for the stomp, so it feels weird to me to have him do it mid-air, though I guess I coule reason that he's always using the lifts to jump, so ehhhh

He wouldn't/shouldn't go as high vertically as the ground version. Just a bit of a boost to change trajectory and come down on p2. It should behave a bit differently then the ground version in that respect. It can help his approach with getting in on p2, though it's entirely up to you.

Also I agree the voice is well done, albeit a bit low. Maybe you could run it thru a sound program like Audacity or something and increase the volume a bit?

Update:

Alright, so after a few arcade runs with him, I got a bit more for ya:

-So, for a lot of his special attacks, mainly his projectiles, they allow p2 to recover from getting hit far too quickly when it comes to air hits, or knock downs. I suggest adding a parameter like this to all of his special attacks that don't put p2 into a hard knock down state:

fall.recoverTime = 120

^This will allow them to recover still, but basically only when they're at ground level. A lot of times I hit p2 with Tool Time as they are trying to jump in on me, and they'll just instantly recover and sometimes even punish me! This happens with Fireball as well. Adding this parameter to them will stop that from happening.

-Please make it so that he can grab from his run states as well. Like I mentioned above with the run triggers, add those to his grab as well. Running up and grabbing p2 is a valid strategy and can help with opening up p2 to other tactics, if they fear that grab on run ins.

-The tiny Ba-Bombs are actually really useful lol. They are very instrumental to his victory. This is more of an inquiry; Are they unblockable? I have no problem with this and honestly suggest that they should be. As they wander around randomly and take several seconds to actually detonate once p2 is close to them. It'd help their utility out very much.

I also feel they should put p2 into a hard knockdown(unable to recover) state, though if you don't want, I'd suggest adding the above fall.recovertime parameter to their hitdefs. So p2 can't recover too soon and punish him.

-I feel like his Fireball recovery frames, where he's putting the gun away, lasts a tad bit too long. I'm fine with the slower start up, but it should be offset with a faster recovery to help him apply pressure by being able to engage p2 as the Fireball is out. Shaving several ticks off the recovery frames should suffice.

-You should apply some width for when Mario throws p2 into a corner. Whether it be from side switching, or keeping them in a corner. He kinda slides into them currently when done either way in the corner.

-One time when I won and I was in the corner, when Luigi comes in for their high-five winpose, he was misaligned as he came from the opposite side of the stage.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Thanks for the updates. Especially for Big Water Damage. It makes it so much better that it's air unblockable. It helps with p2 trying to jump in on him from the tiny Ba-Bombs and Fireballs. They gotta think twice now lol. Really liking this guy, great job. :)

Update 2:

-In regards to the fall recovery parameter, I think you should apply something similar to his normals as well. Maybe not as much as 120 tick, but maybe something around 90 or so. P2 is able to recover from my air combos a bit faster than they should with him.

-His command stomp normal(F+LK) is really good, but has too much start up imo. Even his overhead is a tad bit too slow. I haven't check the timings, but I feel they could both use with some ticks shaved off their start ups, more so the LK stomp. It's very good on wake up and jump ins. I use it a lot after a hard knock down on p2 and set them up with LP Tool Time as they are getting up. Then use LK stomp in unison with Tool Time. Though it comes out a bit too slow.

-Allowing Mario to special/super cancel from cr.HK would be nice too.

-He needs more invulnerability on the start up of his Lv1 supers. Especially Big Water Damage. It's too easy currently to poke him out of this on startup. I'd also suggest having the pipe itself hit p2 and set them up for the water blast, as it comes out of the ground.
Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 07:03:50 pm by DW
#43  October 19, 2020, 04:28:37 am
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
Glad to see DW lending his experience to the feedback as well, it'll only make for a even better and more refined version of an awesome character.
#44  October 19, 2020, 04:58:23 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Okay, so I updated the link again, DW pointed out/suggested a lot of stuff, here's what got fixed/changed:

-Reduced recovery time on Fireball specials (5 less on HP version, 4 less on LP version, gotta admit it makes the animation a little wack but eh)
-Reduced startup on command normal stomp and wrench OH by a couple ticks each
-Made it so that he can perform all grounded normals, specials and supers during his landing state
-Added ability to perform specials, supers and grab while running
-Added recovertime parameter to all his projectiles
-Added width to throw
-Added more invulnerability to startup of L1 Super Big Water Damage

A few random notes on the other stuff:

-The bombs are unblockable but I didn't intent them to be, but if it works and isn't OP I will leave them that way. Also they should already be putting the opponent into hard knockdown, they have fall = 1 and fall.recover = 0 in their hitdefs
-The Fireball projectile uses the Projectile state controller instead of helper, which is why it dissipates the way it does, I know it's better to use helpers, I will probably recode it at some point
-Couldn't figure out what was causing the winpose misalignment, I will have to keep messing with it
-I got feedback a long time ago that characters shouldn't be able to combo from sweeps, can't remember who it was but it was one of those things where they kind of made me feel like an idiot for doing it so I thought it was like a big no-no

Anyway, be sure to download the update from the first post!

Download Last Bout now!

DW

Re: Mario Mario by SeanAltly (and Jango) (Updated 10/18 with even more fixes)
#45  October 19, 2020, 09:05:53 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
-The bombs are unblockable but I didn't intent them to be, but if it works and isn't OP I will leave them that way. Also they should already be putting the opponent into hard knockdown, they have fall = 1 and fall.recover = 0 in their hitdefs

Ok cool. I didn't look over their hitdefs, so I wasn't sure if they did do hard knockdowns. It's not OP and it's what actually makes them useful. You don't have them track p2, and even if you did, they move slower than a player and take about 2-3 seconds to explode. Plenty of time to avoid them. It's totally fine.

-The Fireball projectile uses the Projectile state controller instead of helper, which is why it dissipates the way it does, I know it's better to use helpers, I will probably recode it at some point

That's cool. As I said, it's not important because it functions as it should. Nevermind my OCD. :P

-I got feedback a long time ago that characters shouldn't be able to combo from sweeps, can't remember who it was but it was one of those things where they kind of made me feel like an idiot for doing it so I thought it was like a big no-no

Lol, well, that's debatable... Though I'm not suggesting combo'ing from sweeps, just give him the ability to cancel from them. I haven't looked at the +/-'s for it, but I know it's very negative. Essentially a death sentence if it's blocked lol. He's gonna have to eat w/e p2 has in store for him. Though allowing him to cancel from his sweep would help him not be so left open. Nothing he can cancel from would be "true". Meaning, p2 doesn't actually have to respect it, and can more than likely poke him out of it. However, if they do respect it, it'll allow him to cover his bases so to speak, along with keeping pressure on p2.

I'm not sure of how you're juggling system works. I think you're using Mugen's default point system? If so, you just make it so that his sweep adds points so that it can't be combo'd from. This suggestion is more for when it's blocked. If he does connect with sweep, and try to cancel into anything else, it will just whiff.

Gonna DL the update now. Thanks for your hard work. :)
Re: Mario Mario by SeanAltly (and Jango) (Updated 10/18 with even more fixes)
#46  October 25, 2020, 10:48:35 pm
This character is fantastic. After the SNK Mario, the Macho, Ryu-ish form and now the movie incarnation.
Never thought to see this character after long decade and complete silence.

Truly a character of 2020 (Sucks for a year, but it has some good stuff in it... Sometimes)