YesNoOk

Dark Nation (SHADEs 2.5) by SeanAltly (Read 17250 times)

Started by Sean Altly, April 01, 2013, 07:36:45 pm
Share this topic:
Dark Nation (SHADEs 2.5) by SeanAltly
#1  April 01, 2013, 07:36:45 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly

To counter many of the joke releases we get on April Fool's Day (which are fine, jokes are fun), I decided to release Dark Nation. I had been receiving some PMs and messages on YouTube asking if he was ever going to see the light of day. Since I've been focused on CvTW, the next big SHADEs 2 update is a ways off and SHADEs 3 is even further, so I figured why not.

Anyway, be sure to read the ReadMe so you understand the Absorption system. Also, let me lamp-shade this so no one feels the need to point it out: He is an edit of my own Rorschach sprites. Trust me, though, he plays nothing like him. I'm actually looking forward to some feedback on his gameplay. Also, if he seems a bit strong, it's because he is designed to be at a sub-boss level. More info and gameplay stuff in the spoiler:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Screens (More in the Spoiler):

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Video:

Download HERE!

CREDITS:

Anthony Sardinha aka Antfish of VAC as Cyril
Aimee Smith aka Songbird of VAC as Layla
Probably Frank Welker as Anubis since he's an animal and Frank Welker does every animal voice ever
Ryon and PotS for several FX
Cazaki and Cybaster for Beta Testing
MFG for all their help and support
You for downloading!

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:36:23 am by Sean Altly
Re: Dark Nation (SHADEs 2.5) by SeanAltly
#2  April 01, 2013, 07:56:50 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
I should redownload Shades 2.. Thanks for the release, been wondering if you'd ever finish him.
Re: Dark Nation (SHADEs 2.5) by SeanAlty
#3  April 01, 2013, 10:21:14 pm
    • USA
    • YouTube.com/MugenX000
Okay,this guy just REEKS of epicness.Sean Altly,you've done it again.
#4  April 01, 2013, 10:44:24 pm
I like him... feels like a mortal kombat character to me x)
#5  April 01, 2013, 11:18:51 pm
  • Nostalgic Addic
  • Working...
    • USA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@NessTheAvatar
This dude looks bad as shit, not gonna' lie.
#6  April 01, 2013, 11:31:25 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I'm sure you meant "this dude looks like the shit and a really badass bad guy", but your post can be easily read as "this guy looks really bad and shitty". :P
#7  April 01, 2013, 11:41:49 pm
We all know what he meant. It's like saying "She bad as hell", we all know it's a compliment.
#8  April 01, 2013, 11:45:16 pm
  • Nostalgic Addic
  • Working...
    • USA
I'm sure you meant "this dude looks like the shit and a really badass bad guy", but your post can be easily read as "this guy looks really bad and shitty". :P

I refer to "bad" as really good for a bad-guy character, I will go ahead and say what I mean't was the character looks really awesome, and solid as well.  Always like to see darker characters, this one is probably going to be a keeper, not that any of his other works aren't either.   I think I'm just being trolled for my low-brow expression.
#9  April 02, 2013, 01:48:14 am
  • constructive criticism welcomed
    • USA
    • mugennoobin.imgur.com
i know im more in the port field of feedback, but i saw the vid and that grab-tele-elbow smash= fucking awesome, hella nice

Perfection is a myth, always strive to be better
My Ports: http://mugennoobin.imgur.com
#10  April 02, 2013, 01:55:06 am
Thanks, Sean. Nice to have a break from the foolishness. It's rubbing me the wrong way today for a whole load of reasons. x.x

@Ness Vilain: Nah, not trolled. What you said could have been misinterpreted as an insult, that's all, and no one wants that. :P
#11  April 02, 2013, 02:06:04 am
    • Venezuela
    • antisociety_09@hotmail.com
Do you have plans for put this char  in Capcom vs The world?
Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:23:02 am by lonelykus
#12  April 02, 2013, 02:19:50 am
  • Nostalgic Addic
  • Working...
    • USA
Thanks, Sean. Nice to have a break from the foolishness. It's rubbing me the wrong way today for a whole load of reasons. x.x

@Ness Vilain: Nah, not trolled. What you said could have been misinterpreted as an insult, that's all, and no one wants that. :P

I don't think I'd ever insult someone on here unless they directly started stuff with me, but ... when it comes to stuff not working or being "shitty" I usually try to post feedback or at least encouragement towards a better characters/w.e ... sorry to cause confusion folks.   :)
#13  April 02, 2013, 02:38:22 am
  • I'm back again.
love it. thx sean.
lost and forget
#14  April 02, 2013, 03:49:47 am
  • I must be allergic to money cos I never have it
You named the guy "Cyril"?! Really?

Not exactly the most intimidating or bad ass name around....

Rev.  ;P
3d rocks!
#15  April 02, 2013, 08:25:35 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
You named the guy "Cyril"?! Really?

Not exactly the most intimidating or bad ass name around....

Rev.  ;P

It's pronounced "Sai (like the weapon, or "Psy" like in Psylocke) - Rull," as opposed to "Sirrul" ( like on Archer). Not everyone who is a badass has a badass name. Some people are just named what they're named. I like the name Cyril and it's the only name I can see the character having.

Do you have plans for put this char  in Capcom vs The world?

No. He's an edit of Rorschach's sprites, which is very noticeable in CvTW since Rorschach is in it. In SHADEs, he looks unique.

Glad so many of you like him. I think he's pretty cool myself.

Download Last Bout now!
#16  April 02, 2013, 10:52:36 am
  • Give me Tea, or Cake!
Once again, I'm impressed with how you create a character that is unusual against the usual run of StreetFighter clones.

I kinda wish that Anubis was used more in the moveset, but as it stands now Dark Nation is really fun to play. :)

Thanks for your effort+work Sean.
#17  April 02, 2013, 11:05:28 am
I love this character already but a quick question. will the dog or the woman in the intro be implemented in his gameplay like detective laurel has for his gun in any way... if that's hard to understand a good example maybe is blazblue litchi's staff being thrown out and entering a command for it to do something before it returns unusable until the next time it's thrown out
#18  April 02, 2013, 11:27:07 am
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
Feedback and small comments about this:

- One thing I can already say, it would be better if there was some sort of indicator that told you what level you have at that moment, so we know/remember how strong the attacks are right now. Just a small indicator near the lifebar, for example.

- Also, it seems you used the same animation for D+mk and D+lk, just one is slower. Was it the same for Roschach?

- Another thing, for what I see, you made the absorption take aerial and standing attacks, but not crouching. If you don't mind a suggestion, it would be good if every button did something different. For example, one could make the absorption last less but have less startup and/or cooldown (or just simply that, last less so you're not vulnerable for too much time in case you fail to time it), the other leave it as it is, and the last one work only for crouching attacks.

- For the DM, why not make blood appear, taking into account that the opponent is being devoured? It's just that those flashy hitsparks just don't fit that well in that part.

- L5 D,DF,F,LP and MP misses if he's too close to the opponent. In fact, LP even makes him change position when he misses.

- Have to say, the L3 super is incredibly original, I really like it. But 3000 power to get L5 when it's not that hard to get makes it kind of worthless. I mean, you yourself showed in the video that it's not that hard to connect his Absorption, and that teleport makes the move safe to use so it's a much better option to use that. Honestly, L1 would be fine, but if you don't want to make it easy then L2. L3 is a waste of power IMO. Specially when this move can't even kill the opponent.

- The character doesn't flash if he can use the DM. Not sure if you removed that feature in the new changes in your gameplay system.
Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:31:18 am by Nanashi_1337
#19  April 02, 2013, 10:42:47 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Replies in bold:

Feedback and small comments about this:

- One thing I can already say, it would be better if there was some sort of indicator that told you what level you have at that moment, so we know/remember how strong the attacks are right now. Just a small indicator near the lifebar, for example. Cybaster suggested this too, but I really don't think it's necessary. There's only 5 levels and the FX are noticeably different for each level. I have no problem keeping up with how charged he is, and even if you do an Absorption when he's already L5, there's no harm in it since you can teleport away.

- Also, it seems you used the same animation for D+mk and D+lk, just one is slower. Was it the same for Roschach? Yes it was. Capcom does this a lot, actually, so I don't think it's an issue.

- Another thing, for what I see, you made the absorption take aerial and standing attacks, but not crouching. If you don't mind a suggestion, it would be good if every button did something different. For example, one could make the absorption last less but have less startup and/or cooldown (or just simply that, last less so you're not vulnerable for too much time in case you fail to time it), the other leave it as it is, and the last one work only for crouching attacks. I don't mind suggestions, but I don't want him to be able to absorb everything. I left him unable to absorb crouching attacks on purpose.

- For the DM, why not make blood appear, taking into account that the opponent is being devoured? It's just that those flashy hitsparks just don't fit that well in that part. They're not being devoured, just attacked. I don't use a lot of blood for my characters, especially in SHADEs, the reason being so that Thirteen's attacks seem more visceral and unique.

- L5 D,DF,F,LP and MP misses if he's too close to the opponent. In fact, LP even makes him change position when he misses.  Alright, I'll have to add some width to the attacks.

- Have to say, the L3 super is incredibly original, I really like it. But 3000 power to get L5 when it's not that hard to get makes it kind of worthless. I mean, you yourself showed in the video that it's not that hard to connect his Absorption, and that teleport makes the move safe to use so it's a much better option to use that. Honestly, L1 would be fine, but if you don't want to make it easy then L2. L3 is a waste of power IMO. Specially when this move can't even kill the opponent. But as was pointed out to me by beta testers, he becomes an absolute beast when he's at L5. I don't want it to be too easy to get there. It was a L2 super at the time of the video, but I felt it was too easy to just use that instead of bothering with absorption. Also, you can only teleport away if the absorption is successful, so it's not that safe. The move's only a waste of power if you decide to use it. If you decide to use absorption instead, then when you get to L3 you can just use it for 3 L5 Dark Maelstroms.

- The character doesn't flash if he can use the DM. Not sure if you removed that feature in the new changes in your gameplay system. I changed this for the next SHADEs update, instead, a piece of the lifebar flashes.

Thanks for your feedback!

Download Last Bout now!
#20  April 03, 2013, 12:25:08 pm
Honestly I forgot the feedback it because it was so long ago haha. Later today though I'll go back through the character and see if there's still anymore kinks to work out (Probably not)