YesNoOk

Don't shop at GAME STOP!! (Read 2583 times)

Started by rapgenius, October 29, 2010, 08:40:52 pm
Share this topic:
Don't shop at GAME STOP!!
#1  October 29, 2010, 08:40:52 pm
Re: Don't shop at GAME STOP!!
#2  October 29, 2010, 08:50:04 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
Please can somebody give me a tl;dr version of the video? I can understand what this guy's talking about, but I just had to quit because it really wasn't interesting at all.
#3  October 29, 2010, 09:00:02 pm
  • PSN: Cloudius12
    • www.twitter.com/Cloudius12
Basically Gamestop being a monopoly, and the used games industry. Nothing new.
#4  October 29, 2010, 09:02:22 pm
#5  October 29, 2010, 09:07:37 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
No it's not.
#6  October 29, 2010, 09:11:22 pm
#7  October 29, 2010, 09:29:45 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
A real monopol is Ebay.

Take a look what many Playstation games costs there now as example. And i dont mean the typical games like Castlevania SOTN or Chrno Cross or Xenogears, first edition. No, all kinds of old games are only, or often only sold by one or some ebayshops for ridiculos prices. There are also cases where a game is on ebay via shops for more then 30 times...and its like they all spoke with each other to not dump the prices.

meh

At gamestop i bought used ps2 games for less then the half as they cost on ebay or amazon as example.
#8  October 29, 2010, 10:08:30 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
So basically old news? Well, guess that article was made in mid October, so yeah, it's old news for sure.

DMK

#9  October 29, 2010, 10:26:55 pm
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
I'll buy my shit where I damn well want. Most of the time, yeah I'll go to my local Play N' Trade, but I have a shorter distance to drive for my local GS and the people in their are very accommodating and don't pressure you with preorder or membership garbage.
#10  October 29, 2010, 10:50:44 pm
  • FTW!!!
I still don't understand why people are saying "OMG GAMESTOP IS RUINING GAME/EVIL BECAUSE THEY SELL GAMES THAT THE PREVIOUS PERSON DIDN'T LIKE!"

So why are we the blame for buying used games? Can't be our fault when there are stacks of used games.

I mean hell if you really want to help the game industry then go to your rental place and rent a lot of games, Once you get home scratch them until they are unusable so that the rental company will be forced to buy a new one. But thats an assholish move as you would be screwing the employees that works there.

Hell he even said to buy used games at other stores, seriously whats the difference besides the possible price difference?

DMK

#11  October 29, 2010, 10:58:19 pm
    • USA
Shit isn't even Best Buy and a couple other stores that sell electronics taking in/selling used games?
#12  October 29, 2010, 10:59:04 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
the game industry should help themselfes and sell old games.

on all possible distribution channels.

DMK

#13  October 29, 2010, 11:04:14 pm
    • USA
To be fair a lot of them do that via their marketplace channels like PSN, XBL, and Wiiwhateverthefuck. I prefer like I'm sure many others to have the physical copy.
#14  October 29, 2010, 11:21:27 pm
  • SNK is life
I still don't understand why people are saying "OMG GAMESTOP IS RUINING GAME/EVIL BECAUSE THEY SELL GAMES THAT THE PREVIOUS PERSON DIDN'T LIKE!"

So why are we the blame for buying used games?
Among individuals it's OK to buy/sell anything, because there's no profit from a GIANT CORPORATION middle man, forcing you to use store credit in his own business, and making the whole deal so widely spread that it actually affects the videogame companies.
#15  October 29, 2010, 11:23:38 pm
I pirate my games.  :dealwithit:
#16  October 29, 2010, 11:59:03 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
A lot of the games that come out now arent worth 60 bucks new. Why encourage intentionally degraded games? Half of the series I played on the ps2 sucked on the 360 for instance/were inferior. FF13 sucked, Re5 was inferior to 4, Star Ocean 4 had a crappy story, etc. The exceptions being DMC4 and SF4.

What's killing the gaming industry underlings isnt gamestop. IMO, its dlc. Why buy games at full price if you know they wont have everything it should have without paying extra money for it(which I cant anyway cause you need broadband...)?

If they would focus less on OMGgraphics! and more on the games themselves, that would help.

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!
#17  October 30, 2010, 12:03:55 am
  • SNK is life
Now you're just being unreally idealistic. It's not about what you "feel" you're entitled to, the know-how to produce these high-end technology consumer products means high costs, they're expensive shit.

If you can't afford them, instead of trying to bend the basic rules of economics, you should try adjusting your budget. Buying second hand games doesn't solve the problem, it just makes it worse. Less profit, less risk, less games out there.
Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 12:07:05 am by House
#18  October 30, 2010, 01:17:33 am
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
I guess I was a little unfair. Im just not a fan of where gaming is going at this point. The best examples of what I mean: Resident Evil 5 Gold edition(xbox 360)(it was literally the exact same game... It was a lazy piece of crap), Street Fighter 4(rushed and felt incomplete), I had a third good one, but forgot it off the top of my head.

It isnt gamestop's problem. Im not a gamestop fan(I shop there from time to time, but buying something for 3 bucks then turning around and selling it for 26 seems extremely unfair(SF4 traded in for like 2 bucks at one point)). What would competition really do? You might get the games a little cheaper? How would that solve the companies budget problems?

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!
Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:36:41 am by Lost_Avenger
Re: Don't shop at EB GAMES!!
#19  October 30, 2010, 01:35:33 am
  • *something witty yeah*
They sell old used games full priced. >:(

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
[/center]
#20  October 30, 2010, 03:07:41 am
  • MFG's Slowest Character Editor
    • USA
I'll buy my shit where I damn well want. Most of the time, yeah I'll go to my local Play N' Trade, but I have a shorter distance to drive for my local GS and the people in their are very accommodating and don't pressure you with preorder or membership garbage.

^ THIS. ^ I work at a walmart store and the nearest GS is right across the parking lot. The employees are friendly and helpful. Hell, when I broke my leg back in August, they all chipped in and paid for my preoders that came in the following week. I normally don't even buy used games unless I grab something from the new releases and they tell me they have a used copy. Bottom line is it's up to each individual to decide where or how they buy games.