YesNoOk

2022 Character Updates (Read 1234929 times)

Started by PotS, January 15, 2022, 10:28:50 am
Share this topic:
Re: 2022 Character Updates (Geese added)
#261  March 25, 2022, 09:57:31 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Fixed. Try again.
Ah. He mixed two sounds. I tried the same thing back then but scratched it. Will give it another shot.

Well my argument there is that there aren't too many situations where you can cancel into it such has his Heavy's unless you use the LK version.
Yeah, but I think that was a bigger issue with the old damage scaling, because it punished you for super cancels. The new one doesn't.

If you're going to make a config file for all characters, i feel that a system change should also be good (ex: changing Lei-Lei to be more based on darkstalkers like with your old version)
I think that's too much of a change for a config file. Which is funny because at one point she did have a config file that did just that.

on a unrelated note, i guess people already pointed it out but i feel denjin hadouken is too nerfed for my tastes, not being unblockeable until full charge makes it hard to use in my opinion
Going back to the old version, I think it's funny that people never mentioned it because it's pretty broken. Every block string could be ended with an unblockable fireball.
I think the new version makes more sense, but of course we may disagree on that.

Those are good options.

May I suggest adding "simplified" commands, as well? Or at least for the characters that have charge supers and the like;
That sounds like too much work because of the current method I use for inputs. Sorry.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#262  March 25, 2022, 10:13:33 pm
    • USA
    • https://jthesaltyy.wixsite.com/jthesaltyymugen
just adding an option to disable stun would be good, i think that toggling screenpack vs. system sounds and effects is too trivial to warrant it's own config.

your chars are very straightforward so there isn't really much to configure in the first place outside of some character-specific options, so i don't really have any suggestions in that regard.
Re: 2022 Character Updates (Yuri and Pocket Shin Gouki added)
#263  March 29, 2022, 04:17:01 am
    • Mexico
I haven't changed that much compared to 2010. Let's see...

States, CMD, etc - Notepad++. Especially useful when you're updating 16 characters at a time
SFF - Fighter Factory Ultimate. Once in a while I remake them with Dark Saviour's SFF 2 Turbo Revival because during my formative years you couldn't trust FF with anything
SND - FFU
AIR - FFU, Notepad++
Palettes - Paint Shop Pro 7, Notepad++ and Paletero

Sprites - MSPaint, PSP7. PSP9 or Photoshop for effects although I've barely made any for these updates
Sounds - GoldWave
Game data - ArtMoney, FAQ's, wikis, guidebooks...

Some early updates for the weekend:

Guy
- Fixed the bugs Toni mentioned

Yuri
- Same as usual
- This character (and Nash) was a bit of a transition between my older and newer characters. Should feel less odd with this update

Pocket Shin Gouki
- Although I haven't spent as much time on him as on the other characters, ironically it may be the character that changed the most
- Plays more like Marvel now. System is a bit half baked though

wow

yeah, I haven't used Paint Shop Pro since the old days (back in mugendev forums?), but seeing how things are this days, I'm looking to maybe go back at it just for some weekend fun

nice to know we can still go at it the oldschool way, hahaha

"There's a time to live, there's a time to die, but no one can escape the destiny....."
#264  March 30, 2022, 07:21:26 am
    • USA
Hey PotS, question.

I definitely think that for charge characters, having the dodge AND the back roll mechanic truly interferes with a characters charge. For example, crouch charging and then rolling forward to do a psycho crusher is often interfered by the back roll. Or doing a roll fwd --> into flash kick needs extra steps.

Would you take into consideration that for some chars we can just turn off the back roll or the dodge mechanic for some charge chars?
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#265  March 30, 2022, 10:33:14 am
why? there's no move needed for you press A and X while performing charge attacks
#266  March 30, 2022, 06:24:23 pm
    • Portugal
just adding an option to disable stun would be good, i think that toggling screenpack vs. system sounds and effects is too trivial to warrant it's own config.
It's definitely not important, but it was already on my mind and I'm sure someone will appreciate it. But I'm only changing the hitsparks and superpause effects for now. And the sounds I'll leave for later (or never) because I can't be arsed to come up with the default equivalents for every sound.

Hey PotS, question.

I definitely think that for charge characters, having the dodge AND the back roll mechanic truly interferes with a characters charge. For example, crouch charging and then rolling forward to do a psycho crusher is often interfered by the back roll. Or doing a roll fwd --> into flash kick needs extra steps.

Would you take into consideration that for some chars we can just turn off the back roll or the dodge mechanic for some charge chars?
I see where you're coming from, and I remember someone pointing out the same thing back when I was making some char. But the more I think about it, the less important it seems. It's not like you keep your charge when doing other actions like jumping or dashing forward, and rolling charge is kind of like a hack. Bison's a bad example too because he doesn't need charge for a punish combo.

That said, recently I've come to appreciate the fact that Capcom just unceremoniously trashed SNK's back roll because it's not a very good mechanic.

As for the option to turn off mechanics, I really don't want to open that can of worms. Barring things like stun or guard crush that change the basic rules of Mugen, I think if you make the gameplay a certain way you should stick to it, or else why bother. Plus I label everything in my code, so you can just search for "roll" in the CMD and disable it.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 06:32:37 pm by PotS
#267  March 31, 2022, 03:50:57 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
A small question... Are you planning anything with the alternate spriteset for Morrigan made by Li Kun?
#268  April 01, 2022, 11:17:20 pm
    • USA
why? there's no move needed for you press A and X while performing charge attacks

Not sure where you're going with this, but you do know that a roll --> BFBF super is a legit strategy right? Think Roll Fwd --> Blanka Ball Super.... or Roll Fwd --> Super Psycho Crusher. These are legit techniques to gain distance and override someone's poke or even projectile (if it's a lvl 3)

In any case, having a back roll severely interferes with the simplicity of the process. I've yet to be able to easily do it, more often I have unintentionally did a back roll instead of doing a roll fwd --> lvl 3 BFBF super.
#269  April 02, 2022, 12:20:21 am
    • Portugal
A small question... Are you planning anything with the alternate spriteset for Morrigan made by Li Kun?
I think fixing up the DS sprites was so much work that I might just want to keep them forever.

In any case, having a back roll severely interferes with the simplicity of the process. I've yet to be able to easily do it, more often I have unintentionally did a back roll instead of doing a roll fwd --> lvl 3 BFBF super.
It's not your fault. No forward roll is long enough to regain your back charge. At one point this year I gave them charge partitioning, but that went away when I changed the way inputs are handled.

Updates got a little delayed this week because I realized the way I calculated vertical acceleration for juggling does not work as intended. This means I have to play around with the chars a bit to see if their main combos still work after this adjustment.
It's kind of funny that my guesstimate in my older chars was closer to being right than the way I did it in my last chars. :-X
#270  April 02, 2022, 01:24:13 am
    • USA
Ah no worries. In any case, I personally know how to do the manual disabling of the backroll anyway. I've turned it off for a few of them personally. Although, it's worth mentioning to the general public about this issue (just as a food for thought).

On a side note, going extremely off topic but, did you have your own forums a long time ago? I remember being registered on there, making posts. Although it was more small scale, like KFM's randomselect forum.

Oh yeah, while all eyes are own your normal char updates, I'm curious if you plan on doing some more fun/silly things too. Rare Akuma for instance. I remember "PotS by Ken" was an old time joke on here, lol. Or, the happy genki faced Akuma pic you had as an avatar for a good while. Good ole PotS memes haha. At least I thought it was funny. I'm curious if you have something up your sleeve in the future :D
#271  April 02, 2022, 03:34:47 am
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
Found another small Dan bug: When you perform a Chouhatsu Densetsu during a Chouhatsu Shinwa (and the opponent doesn't interrupt), the Chouhatsu Shinwa music will keep playing even after Dan is done taunting.
Re: 2022 Character Updates (Karin added)
#272  April 02, 2022, 06:47:54 pm
    • Portugal
On a side note, going extremely off topic but, did you have your own forums a long time ago? I remember being registered on there, making posts. Although it was more small scale, like KFM's randomselect forum.
Yeah. You did not just dream that up, hehe. But it was just a tiny forum and more like the comment section for the site.

Oh yeah, while all eyes are own your normal char updates, I'm curious if you plan on doing some more fun/silly things too. Rare Akuma for instance. I remember "PotS by Ken" was an old time joke on here, lol. Or, the happy genki faced Akuma pic you had as an avatar for a good while. Good ole PotS memes haha. At least I thought it was funny. I'm curious if you have something up your sleeve in the future :D
Much like with serious chars, I don't know it either. I remember that avatar now that you mentioned it. Might have been while I was making Rare Akuma.

Found another small Dan bug: When you perform a Chouhatsu Densetsu during a Chouhatsu Shinwa (and the opponent doesn't interrupt), the Chouhatsu Shinwa music will keep playing even after Dan is done taunting.
It's not a big deal, but if it happened to me I'd have to F1 the char. :8): Thanks again.

I guess it's about time to update the chars again because I added the much requested config file, among other things. Regarding the juggling thing I mentioned, let me know if some combo you liked stopped working so I can check if it was intentional or not.

And I threw in Karin just because.
#273  April 02, 2022, 07:08:16 pm
    • Brazil
I think fixing up the DS sprites was so much work that I might just want to keep them forever.
I really don't wanna sound entitled, but I really hope you reconsider. Li Kun's sprites are absolutely awesome and combined with your gameplay, they'd make the perfect Morrigan.
#274  April 02, 2022, 07:15:08 pm
  • Standalone Tester for Famicom Fighters
    • USA
I HAVE WAITED FOR CENTURIES TO REPORT THIS VERY IMPORTANT KARIN ERROR, ONE THAT HAS REMAINED IN HER FOR YEARS, AN ERROR SO HUMONGOUS THAT ALL HER OPPONENTS SHUDDER AT THE VERY THOUGHT OF IT...
...her first victory quote is "You're not supposed to see this!", which I think is a leftover from your bonus games. All her winquotes are just her Alpha 3 ones, and wouldn't you know it, the only missing one is "To defeat an opponent is to get to know them intimately...".
#275  April 02, 2022, 07:31:37 pm
  • "Forgeddaboudit"
  • Squawkabilly
    • Romania
    • wf4123.neocities.org
#276  April 02, 2022, 10:44:11 pm
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
Nice Karin.

The ingame movelist has some errors, though. Her Kou'ou Ken super is listed as d,b,d.b+P instead of d,f,d,f+K and her lv2 doesn't show that it has to be performed in the air.

Edit: Also, I noticed that all dp-motions can also be done by inputting f,df,f (or just tapping down while holding forward the whole time). The same is true for rdp-motions. This applies to all of your updated characters. Is that intentional?
Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 04:21:53 am by Toni
#277  April 03, 2022, 09:55:59 am
    • Portugal
I really don't wanna sound entitled, but I really hope you reconsider. Li Kun's sprites are absolutely awesome and combined with your gameplay, they'd make the perfect Morrigan.
I don't mind the comment. Although, aren't there are already Morrigan versions made with every combination of my old gameplay, new gameplay, old sprites and Li Kun sprites?

I HAVE WAITED FOR CENTURIES TO REPORT THIS VERY IMPORTANT KARIN ERROR, ONE THAT HAS REMAINED IN HER FOR YEARS, AN ERROR SO HUMONGOUS THAT ALL HER OPPONENTS SHUDDER AT THE VERY THOUGHT OF IT...
...her first victory quote is "You're not supposed to see this!", which I think is a leftover from your bonus games. All her winquotes are just her Alpha 3 ones, and wouldn't you know it, the only missing one is "To defeat an opponent is to get to know them intimately...".
Hmm... I somehow copied that Karin win quote to all my bonus games by mistake. :8):

Nice Karin.

The ingame movelist has some errors, though. Her Kou'ou Ken super is listed as d,b,d.b+P instead of d,f,d,f+K and her lv2 doesn't show that it has to be performed in the air.
Some of these movelist typos are so silly I even amaze myself. Thanks for pointing it out. I can't shake the feeling that some things may change in the movelists so I'm never very thorough with the proofreads.

Edit: Also, I noticed that all dp-motions can also be done by inputting f,df,f (or just tapping down while holding forward the whole time). The same is true for rdp-motions. This applies to all of your updated characters. Is that intentional?
Yeah, that one's intentional. I gave them some modern input shortcuts, and when you combine those with a keyboard some funny tricks can show up. At least I deliberately ommited some things like crouching Shoryuken.

SNT

#278  April 03, 2022, 01:56:12 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Karin looks hunky dory aside from her 270K having this weird looking interaction with your Ryu, could be just CVS2 sprites not working well with Alpha.
#279  April 03, 2022, 04:04:14 pm
Karin looks hunky dory aside from her 270K having this weird looking interaction with your Ryu, could be just CVS2 sprites not working well with Alpha.

I've seen this with the new Karin but only when the AI does it, I tried replicating it using her and even watching the AI fight but its not happening.
It feels like its very random for me.

As for the rest of the updates.

Thank you for taking the time and adding a config  file for your chars.

Just tested the new Guy and wanted to ask, he can no longer cancel to the DF DF any punch hyper (Sorry bad with names) after the tatsu right ?
I can only cancel to the air grab hyper but not the other one.

Edit:
Update on the Karin thing, it looks like its an issue with how mugen handles char sizes, not Karin in general.
Not sure how much POTS can tweak this to be fair, though when it happened to me it happened vs Jman's Ken in arcade, later when I tried to replicate it vs him again it did not happen again.

Im assuming this is based on head pos or something for karin to hold the char.

Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 04:49:49 pm by PeXXeR
#280  April 03, 2022, 06:22:32 pm
    • Portugal
Update on the Karin thing, it looks like its an issue with how mugen handles char sizes, not Karin in general.
Not sure how much POTS can tweak this to be fair, though when it happened to me it happened vs Jman's Ken in arcade, later when I tried to replicate it vs him again it did not happen again.
I didn't touch that animation, but I guess my reasoning back then was to make it a bit different from her kick throw. But I'll probably change it now that you mentioned it. The way it's done in the kick throw does look better.

Just tested the new Guy and wanted to ask, he can no longer cancel to the DF DF any punch hyper (Sorry bad with names) after the tatsu right ?
I can only cancel to the air grab hyper but not the other one.
Yeah. Because he now has an actual air super, I took away the ability to do that super from tatsu. In fact I've been taking away several of his combos because he had too many that were just a little too braindead. But I generally add new ones in their place.