YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 747835 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#1341  December 25, 2018, 02:59:57 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Speaking of spirit battles...

I'm doing my thing and I'm looking at GameFAQS and I see a topic that catches my eye... apparently some website out there is claiming that a few of the battles are racist. Which ones?

Well, you have a fight against Diddy Kong that can net you the Dee Jay spirit, a fight against Donkey Kong that can net you the Mr. Sandman spirit and a fight against a team of Villagers that can net you the Tac spirit.

For one... somebody has WAY too much time on their hands. Secondly, with the limitations of the roster and spirits, you have to be creative to help it make sense. In those examples, they are doing that... The Diddy Kong fight says that he favors his Side Special, which is a kick. Dee Jay is a kick boxer; The Donkey Kong fight has sleep inducing floors and his punches are stronger, kind of like Mr. Sandman and the Villager team can do damage by running into you and are faster then you like Tac.
#1342  December 26, 2018, 12:47:36 am
  • Standalone Tester for Famicom Fighters
    • USA

I'm doing my thing and I'm looking at GameFAQS and I see a topic that catches my eye... apparently some website out there is claiming that a few of the battles are racist. Which ones?

Well, you have a fight against Diddy Kong that can net you the Dee Jay spirit, a fight against Donkey Kong that can net you the Mr. Sandman spirit and a fight against a team of Villagers that can net you the Tac spirit.

For one... somebody has WAY too much time on their hands. Secondly, with the limitations of the roster and spirits, you have to be creative to help it make sense. In those examples, they are doing that... The Diddy Kong fight says that he favors his Side Special, which is a kick. Dee Jay is a kick boxer; The Donkey Kong fight has sleep inducing floors and his punches are stronger, kind of like Mr. Sandman and the Villager team can do damage by running into you and are faster then you like Tac.

Yeah, saying those are "racist" is definitely a stretch. This kinda reminds me of the Mr. Game and Watch side smash feather (which I thought actually was racist, since it directly referenced a harmful stereotype from the past. It wasn't enough to make me angry, but still).

Also, this is GameFAQs we're talking about here. Of course they will try to find something to complain about.  :mlol:
#1343  December 26, 2018, 06:09:26 am
    • USA

Yeah, saying those are "racist" is definitely a stretch. This kinda reminds me of the Mr. Game and Watch side smash feather (which I thought actually was racist, since it directly referenced a harmful stereotype from the past. It wasn't enough to make me angry, but still).

Also, this is GameFAQs we're talking about here. Of course they will try to find something to complain about.  :mlol:

It wasn't so much GameFAQS doing this as it was ResetEra starting this baloney and the screw-ups at GameFAQS reacted in easily the way the people at ResetEra wanted: The old standard of 'OMG, these evul SJWs are ruining my game!!"
#1344  December 28, 2018, 12:29:28 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Slight update on the DLC progress.  As of Sakurai's last column, Joker's not at a point where he can even be considered playable.  Nintendo were the ones who insisted that Joker be revealed at the Game Awards, but Sakurai's team hadn't even begun developing him yet by that time, which is why they had to do the 2D animated trailer.

This makes me feel like it'll probably be around April/May at the earliest before Joker actually comes out.
Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:35:17 am by Person Man
#1345  December 28, 2018, 12:52:04 am
    • USA
That does make sense considering that this is a character (and a series) that hasn't appeared in Smash Brothers before. While there might be ideas for moves he can have (like his Final Smash involving his Persona reaching it's final form for one big all out attack), there's a lot of work to do here: animations big and small, a stage from the series (probably from Persona 5), getting the okay to use music from the series and remixes of said music, maybe an assist trophy and more then likely spirits...

April/May might be right in the ball park here.
#1346  December 28, 2018, 01:35:13 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I'd imagine he plays like other duo characters like Ice Climbers and Rosalina and Luma, which also requires more work designing and balancing to a presentable degree.

Interesting the choice to reveal the character at all was from higher up, though.  I wonder if they'd go as far as to show off the second character prior to the first one being released?  Is there any other event Nintendo should be presenting at by Spring next year?
#1347  December 28, 2018, 01:55:37 am
    • USA
It's not quite like that.  His persona isn't like a separate character or a pokemon type thing.  It's more or less that game's conceit for spellcasting: The persona comes out, performs the spell, then goes back all within the span of a single turn.  I expect Arsene will just pop out to perform attacks for Joker's specials.  At best, he might play like a Capcom Jojo character with a stand persona on/off toggle.

On the topic of Persona content, I cannot wait to play Smash with this song playing.
#1348  December 28, 2018, 02:12:40 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Me too man, Persona 5 is just full of awesome songs, I also do hope that they throw in songs from other Persona games as well, but that's just wishful thinking.
#1349  December 28, 2018, 04:52:09 am
  • T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
    • USA
    • Skype - shinxenomic@hotmail.com
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/xenomic/
Oh man. At first, I wasn't really sure why Palutena was so high in tier lists, and now after watching Leffen's video on her stuff and how to play her, and putting it into practical use, I think I'm starting to see it a loooot more now. She's got some REALLY good zoning and aerials, and the invincibility on her BAir and Dash attacks are just amazing. Still hate Autoreticle though, worthless junk...

So what all are ya'll maining now? For me, it's still Ganondorf/Mario/Wolf as primary, with Palutena quickly getting up there, and still learning (or know how to use quite well but not sure if main tier or not) Link/Zelda/Robin/Cloud/Richter/K.Rool/Roy/Falcon.
#1350  December 28, 2018, 05:11:14 am
    • USA
From what I've seen Palutena seems like more fun than before.  But I really only care to play characters I actually know, and while that's the majority of faces in here, I really only know Palutena from before the Uprising revival.

I've been trying to understand Rosalina and Luma this game.  Enjoy her as a character, even managed to get her amiibo with this game, which after the incident last game with them I'm just glad was able to find at all.  My comfort zone is playing Samus and Link, so she's proving rather hard to grasp beyond a beginner's level.  Which is still fine for casual matches, can go 3 stock playing with friends who only play for fun and not trying to better understand the characters, but I feel like she needs a better way to position Luma on the map than just dropping it or shooting it at an unsure distance via charging and letting it just sit there.  But when things come together she's fun to juggle opponents back and forth between the two.

It's not quite like that.  His persona isn't like a separate character or a pokemon type thing.  It's more or less that game's conceit for spellcasting: The persona comes out, performs the spell, then goes back all within the span of a single turn.  I expect Arsene will just pop out to perform attacks for Joker's specials.  At best, he might play like a Capcom Jojo character with a stand persona on/off toggle.
So Zelda Down+B: The Moveset.  I figured it would be something akin to Capcom's Jojo fighting game, yeah, just the summoned help would be more punishable and probably killable with a respawn a la Rosalina and Luma.
#1351  December 28, 2018, 01:23:54 pm
    • USA
I'm still keeping with Ness and Lucas, since I've mained them in every game, and they feel a lot better this time around.  Ness in particular seems to have a lot more options, with PK Flash moving a lot faster and PK Thunder being given a ton of knockback compared to what it used to do.

I've been trying to learn Isabelle too, but she's trickier than I expected.  With all of her specials she's an absolute beast at controlling space;  the fishing rod gives her a ridiculous grab range and can even be used grab edge guarders from off stage, and her balloon recovery is so fast and has so much mobility that if you can get it out after getting launched, you can pretty much put yourself back down anywhere you want on the stage.  I'm just trying to figure out how to get reliable KOs with her, since all of her Smash attacks have really short range.

On the other hand, I've been having a lot of luck with Incineroar and he's pretty much the exact opposite of Isabelle.  He's got a very limited area that he's effective in, but once you get someone in that range he hits like a goddamn truck.  I haven't tested everyone extensively, but Incineroar seems to be who I'm best at so far, since I've managed to rack up over 2 million GSP with him.
#1352  December 29, 2018, 02:07:56 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I haven't tested everyone extensively, but Incineroar seems to be who I'm best at so far, since I've managed to rack up over 2 million GSP with him.

GSP is also affected by other players to the point where you can literally do nothing for days and still see an increase as more players place below you.
#1353  December 31, 2018, 01:56:13 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
i'm almost done with all the challenges

the only advice for beating the final round without being ko'd before going to the true ending is in this video:

hint: in order to get the true ending you have to balance the part where light goes forward or dark goes forward

btw i've managed to get all 3 endings
#1354  December 31, 2018, 02:21:42 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
That was so easy. I managed to do that with the Star Fox characters.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#1355  December 31, 2018, 03:21:57 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
I just did everything with Ganondorf.

Everything.

Missing 2 songs and something like 175 spirits...

haven't played the game in a few days.
#1356  December 31, 2018, 03:48:51 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
speaking of songs, is that all the songs i got overall? i just bought them all at the shop and completed the remaining challenges to get more songs. that can't be all the songs i got right?
#1357  December 31, 2018, 04:18:23 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
is you song total in sounds 876 songs? that's how many there are.

I have 875 right now... getting the last one to spawn in the shop is proving to be super annoying.
#1358  December 31, 2018, 04:49:47 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I have currently 834 songs... and NONE OF THEM'S the X Vs Zero theme! I'm fuming cuz of that!
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 05:46:49 am by DarkWolf13
#1359  December 31, 2018, 03:28:59 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
also i've managed to beat classic mode at intensity 9.9 with ike to get the regal crown headwear for the mii. Did anyone else do that if so what character?
#1360  January 01, 2019, 12:43:25 am
    • USA
I'm still not sure what the trick is that separates getting a 9.9 instead of a 9.8.  I've only gotten 9.9 with Dark Samus, but plenty of 9.8 wins with Link, Young Link, Samus, and Pokémon Trainer.  Pretty sure I do around the same level of accomplishment, quick wins, no deaths, collect as much as you can in the mini-game.

It's not as hard as Smash 4's true arcade ending, but I kinda appreciate that with the replacement being more Nintendo final boss callbacks.  I never did get to beat that Master Core thing last game because the swords were very unpredictable with their timing to dodge and get an easy kill on you.  That said, I think looking forward for next Smash or DLC in this game, though unlikely I'd say, they should expand the collection of these end bosses, it's an incredibly neat idea.  Buff up Mewtwo so he's not just a warm-up for Master Hand or bring back Rayquaza or even throw in Arceus.  Get Galacta Knight in there to stop Meta Knight.  Have Sephiroth stop Cloud and turn into Safer Sephiroth.  Get....I don't know what Fire Emblem's deal is, I guess that Black Knight fellow is their end boss.  Just someone for everyone.