DIO release (3/2/22) (Read 5236 times)

Started by jay_ts, March 03, 2022, 07:01:23 am
Share this topic:
DIO release (3/2/22)
#1  March 03, 2022, 07:01:23 am
    • USA
    • https://jthesaltyy.wixsite.com/jthesaltyymugen
DIO Release (3/2/21)

i decided to just release him already since i had him sitting there in my chars folder for long enough, idk what bugs it has but it'll definitely have some, i just haven't found any that break the char entirely. i'll go fix them if there are any found outside of my testing.

download
Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 06:56:10 pm by JtheSaltyy
Re: DIO release (3/2/21)
#2  March 03, 2022, 09:49:46 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
I'm obviously not a groove person, but I want to say your characters are pretty interesting with the unorthodox grooves. Reminds me of Sumi's Evil Ryu.
On that note, maybe you could've named them in a way that doesn't overlap CvS2, to generate less confusion.

I have some feedback:

- Missing a Readme. Been a while since I tested a char based on the cmd file, hehe
- SGS type inputs generally shouldn't allow negative edge
- Bloody Summoning can combo from normals because P2 can't jump out of it
- I haven't played HFTF in a long time, but Road Roller seems even slower than usual. Could hit overhead, too
- If you block Road Roller it uses Mugen's default sparks. Misaligned, too
- Feels weird to be able to block Space Ripper. But I can see where you're coming from
- I noticed you allow special inputs to have a $U input at the end. The way Capcom games work instead is to allow specials (and supers) to interrupt jump start (state 40)
- [State -2, Damage Dampen] causes a debug flood. Trigger 2 should be split so "numtarget" is in a separate line before the rest
- Rolls should have a period of complete vulnerability at the end. Not sure if JoJo's were like that, but I think yours is supposed to be KOF/CvS style so I'm mentioning it
- Debug messages about state 100000 changing into negative actions
- The character in general has a lot of debug messages so I guess I won't go over all of them
- EX Muda Rush is less useful than the normal version
- Your implementation of the Stand On mode seems weaker than Stand Off, since you kept the weaknesses and removed the chains
- Isn't Muda Rush supposed to cancel into Muda Smash in Stand On? Again I haven't played it in a while
- Some Stand Off super cancels create two The Worlds on screen
- It seems like Dizzy only kicks in when you're already about to win anyway
- Since the DP motion in this char is a teleport, I think you should give it less input priority than QCF. One usually wants to walk forward and cancel a normal into Muda Rush/Smash, not a teleport
- Some moves give back power during Tandem
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 10:23:59 pm by PotS
#3  March 03, 2022, 09:54:15 pm
  • I swear I've been working on Geese all this time.
  • Kind of POTS style editor, except not really.
DIO Release (3/2/21)
i decided to just release him already since i had him sitting there in my chars folder for long enough, idk what bugs it has but it'll definitely have some, i just haven't found any that break the char entirely. i'll go fix them if there are any found outside of my testing.

Pretty cool stuff, though I do have one question: What is QCBx2+K supposed to do? It does the Jojo super flash, but then the World just flies a short distance & doesn't really do anything, from what I can tell.
#4  March 03, 2022, 10:05:59 pm
    • Portugal
It's a game mechanic from JoJo's turned into a super. It lets you program the Stand to do a sequence of attacks on its own. Try inputting A, B, C during the super pause.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#5  March 03, 2022, 10:25:51 pm
  • Nostalgic Addic
  • Working...
    • USA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@NessTheAvatar
Not sure if intended but I actually prefer to be able to pick a specific groove to keep him in ; idk if you are scrapping that feature or not ...
#6  March 03, 2022, 10:31:43 pm
  • I swear I've been working on Geese all this time.
  • Kind of POTS style editor, except not really.
It's a game mechanic from JoJo's turned into a super. It lets you program the Stand to do a sequence of attacks on its own. Try inputting A, B, C during the super pause.

Ahhh, I see it now. Still seems kind of odd with how abruptly it disappears during the move, but I get how it works now.
Thank you, POTS. ^w^
#7  March 04, 2022, 07:14:03 am
    • USA
- Missing a Readme. Been a while since I tested a char based on the cmd file, hehe
forgot to add one but i did now

- SGS type inputs generally shouldn't allow negative edge
- Bloody Summoning can combo from normals because P2 can't jump out of it
fixed

- I haven't played HFTF in a long time, but Road Roller seems even slower than usual. Could hit overhead, too
- If you block Road Roller it uses Mugen's default sparks. Misaligned, too
It does look a bit slow and react-able, i decreased start-up time, and added an overhead block property. Also fixed the block spark issue.

- Feels weird to be able to block Space Ripper. But I can see where you're coming from
in source space ripper is unblockable and has a ton of active frames. in a setting like cvs2 with limited mobility i decided to remove the unblockable property, but i kept the very long active frames and still made it air unblockable

- I noticed you allow special inputs to have a $U input at the end. The way Capcom games work instead is to allow specials (and supers) to interrupt jump start (state 40)
it's just an extra command that allowed for you to TK muda rush stand on, i dont use any buffer systems like explodsive so this was my next best option.

- Rolls should have a period of complete vulnerability at the end. Not sure if JoJo's were like that, but I think yours is supposed to be KOF/CvS style so I'm mentioning it
i forgot to add in the extra condition that made sure roll was vulnerable past animelem 10, thx for pointing that out

- Debug messages about state 100000 changing into negative actions
- The character in general has a lot of debug messages so I guess I won't go over all of them
this is a mix between idk when they happen and i cannot seem to fix them properly. the helper 100000 is actually meant for the tandem system that i made, unfortunately it used helper, id and it causes debug when there is no helper(id) in place so i really don't know what to do about that, im still trying to find a fix for it.

- EX Muda Rush is less useful than the normal version
i thought i made the startup far less and added i-frames but i didn't, i added them now though.

- Your implementation of the Stand On mode seems weaker than Stand Off, since you kept the weaknesses and removed the chains
while i did keep stand crashes and all that, DIO also has a 20% increase in defense Stand On and has normals that deal more damage as well as a strong stand guage. While removing the chains does somewhat kill some combos, there are still some chains. st.LP chains into itself, st.LP can chain cancel into st.MK, granted the window is pretty short, cr.LP can cancel into cr.MP and cr.MK, and st.MK can cancel into st.HK. They're not 100% accurate to HFTF source because the cancel windows are tighter but nonetheless they exist. Stand On DIO is meant for being more defensive than offensive, which is why his stand on normals are safer than stand off and being far slower than stand off. A longer than necessary explanation but that's kinda my thoughts on why I think stand on has its use.

- Isn't Muda Rush supposed to cancel into Muda Smash in Stand On? Again I haven't played it in a while
You are right, it is, but i just didn't want to include it because I had far different directions on what each special's use should be. Muda Rush being a safe approach tool and muda smash being a combo tool. I would also have to increase hitstun to make it possible for the cancel to combo and it might make Muda Rush a bit too safe. I do understand why ppl would question why the cancel is not there though.

- Some Stand Off super cancels create two The Worlds on screen
fixed

- It seems like Dizzy only kicks in when you're already about to win anyway
When i tested that yeah it does feel like dizzy hits far too late. I decided to increase DIO's dizzy values for his moves so it is easier to land a dizzy while still needing to land a lot of hits in succession.

- Since the DP motion in this char is a teleport, I think you should give it less input priority than QCF. One usually wants to walk forward and cancel a normal into Muda Rush/Smash, not a teleport
fixed. what's funny about this is that i've seen many people in the HFTF community complain that when they land a knockdown as DIO and try to do the 50/50 muda rush okizeme they do teleport instead of the muda rush, so it's kinda in line with what you said. just thought that was a funny coincidence but yeah i fixed that

- Some moves give back power during Tandem
fixed

Not sure if intended but I actually prefer to be able to pick a specific groove to keep him in ; idk if you are scrapping that feature or not ...
I will keep it (i just forgot to add it to DIO), I thought it would be a good quality of life feature for those who would rather stick to one groove and aren't much of a groove guy.

I'm obviously not a groove person, but I want to say your characters are pretty interesting with the unorthodox grooves. Reminds me of Sumi's Evil Ryu.
On that note, maybe you could've named them in a way that doesn't overlap CvS2, to generate less confusion.
The unorthodox grooves are intentional, I was mainly intending for my characters to be far more unique and incorporate features from games not too many people play, while still sorta keeping it like CvS2 with hitboxes, frame data, movement, mechanics, etc.
When it comes to the name I dub my characters at the time I didn't know wtf to name them without sounding goofy, hell even the name I use now sounds kinda dumb, but at the time it sounded pretty nice and fitting. If I was to rename them now, idk what i would rename them to in order to create less confusion, I'll probably just remove the tagline altogether to title my threads.

its kinda weird one of the very few ppl to give real extensive feedback for my characters happened to be you, im definitely going to plan a return to mugen in the future since many people are coming back, i just don't know when, but i think i regained the motivation to work at it again. good to see you return back to the scene again.
#8  March 04, 2022, 04:32:16 pm
  • Nostalgic Addic
  • Working...
    • USA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@NessTheAvatar
I copied and pasted from another character and was able to fix  the said groove selection myself boss, enjoying him immensely!
#9  March 04, 2022, 06:29:01 pm
    • Portugal
it's just an extra command that allowed for you to TK muda rush stand on, i dont use any buffer systems like explodsive so this was my next best option.
You don't need an input buffer to do things like that. If you do QCF + any directions + A, Mugen still registers the QCF+A.

while i did keep stand crashes and all that, DIO also has a 20% increase in defense Stand On and has normals that deal more damage as well as a strong stand guage. While removing the chains does somewhat kill some combos, there are still some chains. st.LP chains into itself, st.LP can chain cancel into st.MK, granted the window is pretty short, cr.LP can cancel into cr.MP and cr.MK, and st.MK can cancel into st.HK. They're not 100% accurate to HFTF source because the cancel windows are tighter but nonetheless they exist. Stand On DIO is meant for being more defensive than offensive, which is why his stand on normals are safer than stand off and being far slower than stand off. A longer than necessary explanation but that's kinda my thoughts on why I think stand on has its use.
Oh. It makes sense then. Was hard to figure that out without a readme.
#10  March 04, 2022, 06:47:43 pm
    • USA
You don't need an input buffer to do things like that. If you do QCF + any directions + A, Mugen still registers the QCF+A.
i see. i'll probably just remove the $U from the muda rush command then if i can still get the same results. when i released ukyo, i recall someone giving me feedback on ukyo not being able to TK one of his specials and that was how i did it, but i didn't know that i needed to just keep it the same. thx for that

Oh. It makes sense then. Was hard to figure that out without a readme.
yeah i get you. the readme is there now though so hopefully there is no confusion regarding DIO's preferred playstyle and explanation of his stand on mode.