YesNoOk

Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 06/08/2021) (Read 601435 times)

Started by tunglashor, September 20, 2010, 06:54:33 am
Share this topic:
Re: Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 12/06/2012)
#201  June 12, 2012, 07:43:49 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Here's a new feature!  I had a request to make the program better at automatically managing the layout - so that for example instead of this:

you'd get this:

In other words, a way of protecting specific parts of the grid so that characters are never moved into those parts of the screen.

The solution I came up with was to enable a cell to be locked by marking it in the select.def file with a specific comment.  If you enable this feature, any cells marked with this comment will be treated by the program as locked and their contents will never be changed.  This can be used on empty cells (to protect the layout of the grid) or on character cells (to prevent those characters from being moved).  Here's a demo:

Another new feature: this one is for anyone who fills their empty cells with RandomSelect icons.  Currently, if you have no empty cells (because they're all taken up by RandomSelects) it can be difficult to use VSelect to add characters because it will always ask you "do you want to replace the character in this cell?".  So I've added the option for RandomSelect cells to be automatically overwritten in this scenario.  Another demo to clarify (I hope):

I hope these are useful.  Adding support for locking cells was a hell of a lot more work than I'd expected :sleepy:
Please let me know if you find any bugs, or anything else that seems off.  Enjoy!

Get it here
#202  June 12, 2012, 09:09:41 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
Absolutely brilliant!  I love the new features and didn't even realize how useful they would be until you implemented them. 

My only question (I can't remember if I've asked this before) is, is there a way to zoom the select screen that I can't find in the program?  Working with 640x480 screen on a 1620x1050 monitor is a little challenging sometimes on some of the larger "leecher" screen packs.
This is how you recognize a character is polished or not : when small details are taken care of to provide the best experience possible.
#203  June 13, 2012, 02:06:00 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Thanks man :sugoi:  I'm happy to hear it's proving useful, I did wonder..!

About the zoom: there's no option currently, unfortunately.

I could add something basic, where you'd pick a scaling factor and it would reload everything in the larger size: it wouldn't be quick like zooming in a paint program or whatever, but if you just wanted to pick a zoom factor once and stick with it it should be fine.  Sound OK?
#204  June 13, 2012, 02:41:43 am
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
That sounds perfect man.  Something basic like that is really all I need - I don't need to be zooming in and out all the time.  You rock for responding so quickly bro, thanks a ton for even considering implementing something like this  :sugoi:.
This is how you recognize a character is polished or not : when small details are taken care of to provide the best experience possible.
#205  June 13, 2012, 03:44:43 am
  • Quien coño te crees que soy!!!!!!
Great update! the only things left it's than he load stages...  :sugoi:
#206  June 13, 2012, 09:13:19 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
it worked for me before, I'm sure this time is even better!!

congrats dude!!  ;D
            Zorf Giudecca
#207  June 18, 2012, 12:42:08 am
  • Participate, be a part.
awsome update, I love it!
#208  June 18, 2012, 02:13:38 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
dude im just now seeing this, this is amazing i was doing stuff the old fashioned way lmao smh. it literally took me like 10 minutes to rearrange my roster with this. thanks so much  :sugoi:
mugen or nothin

#209  June 18, 2012, 02:29:58 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
normally this runs quite well but something happened recently that pissed me off

I was adding a new character to my roster so I did and then well all of my stages and arcade selection anything below characters was erased from my select.def even the backup was messed up and It was NOT like that before. Idk how this happened but vselect deleted all of my stages and such from the def. reeeeealy annoyed me. I have over 300 stages so this is a HUGE inconvenience.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
Re: Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 18/06/2012)
#210  June 18, 2012, 02:31:45 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Thanks for the positive comments :)
I'm glad you're finding it useful, reassuring to know I haven't been wasting my time :sugoi:

Speaking of which: I've uploaded another new version, with the much-requested zoom option.

Magnifying will probably increase memory usage and might impact performance, depending on the screenpack and how much you zoom by.  I might try to optimise it a bit in future.  In general though I think it should be usable at 200%-300%, which I would think would be enough.

Give it a try.  As always, all feedback appreciated.

EDIT: @Laharl
I'm sorry to hear that  :sick:
I can't think how that would've happened.  Did the program crash or something during saving?
Maybe I should add an option to backup before every save.  I could create a backup folder and save a copy each time (it would be up to you to delete any you didn't need).  Or, if you can somehow figure out a way to reproduce the problem (i.e. a sequence of actions that always cause it to happen) I should be able to find the cause and fix it.

In the meantime, to add your ExtraStages back, try opening the "by Stage" list - if your stages are in the Stages folder they should be listed under the "Excluded" node.  Click the first one, hold down Shift and click the last one - then right-click and select Include.  When you save they should all be included again.
Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:41:53 am by tunglashor
#211  June 18, 2012, 02:42:00 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
i hope to god it doesnt happen again... so much typing. no it didn't  crash I was just putting a char in I saved then closed vselect to go put my stage in manually in text. and noticed all the stages were gone as well as the arcade selection and all that just characters was there. I know i had it working a second before i closed mugen to use it so idk what happened.

also i had no idea i could do that with vselect i feel dumb now...

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#212  June 18, 2012, 04:28:39 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
OK: I've just uploaded another new version, with a new auto-backup feature.
Now VSelect will attempt to make a backup of the select.def file before every save.  If it fails, you will be warned before the select.def is updated and given the option of cancelling.  This should ensure no work is ever accidentally lost.

The backups are saved in a new folder named "VSelect_backups" - this is located in the same folder as the select.def file.

You can turn the auto-backup feature off via the File->Options menu (Advanced tab).  I've enabled it by default because it seems like one of those features you only realise you need to enable when it's already too late...

I hope this helps.  Link is same as ever (redownload if you already got the last update).  All feedback appreciated, as always.
#213  June 18, 2012, 05:55:49 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
this is a great tool and im glad you created it  :)
mugen or nothin

#214  June 18, 2012, 03:29:22 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
Thanks for the positive comments :)
I'm glad you're finding it useful, reassuring to know I haven't been wasting my time :sugoi:

Speaking of which: I've uploaded another new version, with the much-requested zoom option.

Magnifying will probably increase memory usage and might impact performance, depending on the screenpack and how much you zoom by.  I might try to optimise it a bit in future.  In general though I think it should be usable at 200%-300%, which I would think would be enough.

Give it a try.  As always, all feedback appreciated.

Works like a charm and loads a lot faster during the zoom then I was expecting.  You're the fucking man!

The only issue I noticed with the zoom function is it has a tendency to misplace the select port by a few pixels (so the port bleeds over the border of the select port).  But it's super minor and really negligible, just wanted to let you know.
Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:32:45 pm by Makurayami
#215  June 19, 2012, 08:09:51 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
this is a great tool and im glad you created it  :)
Thanks! Much appreciated  :gugoi:

Works like a charm and loads a lot faster during the zoom then I was expecting.  You're the fucking man!

The only issue I noticed with the zoom function is it has a tendency to misplace the select port by a few pixels (so the port bleeds over the border of the select port).  But it's super minor and really negligible, just wanted to let you know.
Good to know it does the job.  Yes... I noticed the issue you mentioned a couple of times - I assume there's some small loss of accuracy due to some rounding somewhere.  I'll see if I can track it down next time I do an update.
#216  June 23, 2012, 07:33:44 am
    • Canada
This tool is amazing. It's definitely given me a little more motivation to move towards 1.0. Have you considered making a match maker like MWC (Mugen Windows Configurator) for 1.0 or even converting the program itself?

Anyway, is it possible to add stages with this too?
#217  June 26, 2012, 04:22:57 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
This tool is amazing. It's definitely given me a little more motivation to move towards 1.0. Have you considered making a match maker like MWC (Mugen Windows Configurator) for 1.0 or even converting the program itself?
Thanks  :)  Hmm, I'm not familiar with MWC or its match maker feature - can you elaborate? 

Anyway, is it possible to add stages with this too?
Well, it should detect any stages present in the Stages folder and include them in the Stages list.  You can use that to assign stages to characters by dragging them from the grid onto the stage in the list (or you can drag a character on the list from one stage to another).  I made a demo here (stage stuff is around 2:10)

Was that what you were after, or did you mean something else?
#218  June 27, 2012, 11:27:02 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
wow it does stages too! i kepp getting amazed by this lol  :)
mugen or nothin

#219  June 30, 2012, 08:46:58 am
    • Canada
Thanks  :)  Hmm, I'm not familiar with MWC or its match maker feature - can you elaborate?

Yeah. It's a program ByteZero made a few years back. It was pretty much an easier way to configure Mugen. Sadly, 1.0 is past it's time LOL. Their site is still up though if you want a better idea of it.

http://bytezero.mgbr.net/

Well, it should detect any stages present in the Stages folder and include them in the Stages list.  You can use that to assign stages to characters by dragging them from the grid onto the stage in the list (or you can drag a character on the list from one stage to another).  I made a demo here (stage stuff is around 2:10)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiFYgZcQjmw[/youtube]

Was that what you were after, or did you mean something else?

Yeah that too (I really like how easy that looked LOL). I'm also after just adding stages regularly too. Like say, adding stages to the currently list in the select.def.
#220  June 30, 2012, 03:21:45 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Yeah that too (I really like how easy that looked LOL). I'm also after just adding stages regularly too. Like say, adding stages to the currently list in the select.def.

Well like I say, the program will automatically detect all stages in the stages folder and include them in the list.  If they're not already present in the [ExtraStages] section of the select.def then they'll be listed in VSelect as "Excluded".  Just highlight them in the list, right-click and select "Include" - all the highlighted stages will then be included (i.e. added to the [ExtraStages] section).