YesNoOk

spriting test (Read 837 times)

Started by TinFoilMkIV, December 28, 2009, 07:21:28 pm
spriting test
#1  December 28, 2009, 07:21:28 pm
    • droidz.org/
Well I'm planning on makin an original fully custom sprited character, and normally there wouldn't really be a problem, I'd just go and do my own thing. However, due to the color limitations in MUGEN, dark greyscales tend to get really ugly when run in game. Like the pure black will stay black, but the next shade up will come out as like dark green, then the next will be dark blue, and it just didn't look that great. So I decided to up the contrast, which is where I'm having issues. I can sprite fine, but with the higher contrast I'm just not getting the shading a way that I'm happy with, and since the primary color I'm workin with is black, its an issue.

So anyways, here's a remade test sprite with the higher contrast grascale. I did two somewhat different shadings on it, and personally I like the second better, but I still think it needs improvement. So if anyone has any tips or such, I'd appreciate it. Of course its fine to just say which one you like better, or even just tell me whether the concept looks decent or not.

*sprites are  2x normal size*

First Attempt:                   Second:

Re: spriting test
#2  December 29, 2009, 03:57:13 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Second one, because the shading feels more natural, with the light source coming from the upper right corner. On the 1st version, the light comes from nowhere, and the outlines are too dark for my tastes.
Re: spriting test
#3  December 31, 2009, 01:28:26 am
    • droidz.org/
Yea, I feel the same way. I'd really like to have a fourth level of color in there, but I don't want it to get too light since he's supposed to be black.