YesNoOk

New Dragonball Super Series (Read 1522423 times)

Started by Omega, April 28, 2015, 02:37:30 pm
Share this topic:
Re: New Dragonball Super Series
#21  April 29, 2015, 01:42:23 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
#22  April 29, 2015, 05:22:14 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
There's something wrong with Kai?
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#23  April 29, 2015, 05:32:17 pm
For the Buu saga and for what I saw of it (up until Buu's resurrection at the beginning), it doesn't have any added value : it skips the stuff that wasn't in the manga, but it doesn't actually speed up the stuff that was in it but was super slow.
So basically, it's still super slow, and there isn't any visual improvement either. The very beginning during the Raditz fight up to maybe the Namek saga, there were visual improvements, but quickly less and less ; in the Cell saga, there was almost no difference.
In short, the original anime wasn't very good, and the Kai version has no added value, so it's still not very good.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#24  April 29, 2015, 05:35:10 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I remember one of the complaints was that, to make it 16/9 aspect ratio, most frames got the bottom/top cropped.
#25  April 29, 2015, 05:43:53 pm
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
The manga always was better anyway.

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States
#26  April 29, 2015, 05:57:48 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Does the American kai add some of the stuff that was censored from the original dub?

I suppose that'd be the only version worth watching over the 'original'.
#27  April 30, 2015, 01:03:54 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Don't forget how they toned down the violence quite a bit.

Also, I can't see Midorikawa as Tien but that's just me.
#28  April 30, 2015, 01:13:06 am
  • The Man Without The Plan
    • USA
well this is unexpected. also i like Kai abit more the the old dub.
just saiyan.
#29  April 30, 2015, 01:15:47 am
Probably this new series of DBZ won't be dubbed in Italian.
Maybe that's better. I prefer Japanese and English voices anyway.
#30  April 30, 2015, 01:27:57 am
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

that cropping is terrible too.
shame to see Toei abusing it like this, all the details the animator worked hard to draw just got carelessly cut.
but that's Toei for you, the shittiest and cheapest animation company ever.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#31  April 30, 2015, 02:45:20 am
  • 魂-Tamashi!!
    • Skype - Fallenad16
    • 1drv.ms/1xuFckG
I was disappointed with the re-mastered dbz kai seeing as the graphic weren't updated at all except for opening song and now a new sayain mode my kid self would probably love it but after watching anime over the years I don't think I will be able to watch the new series hopefully they think it over with the new sayain mode but since its one of my all time childhood favorite I will watch a few episodes then decide to continue watching it or not.....
#32  April 30, 2015, 02:56:36 am
  • Sublimity.
    • Canada
I had some reservations with Kai before, but that seals the deal. Thanks guys.
Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:23:28 am by UrbaneVirtuoso
#33  April 30, 2015, 06:46:07 am
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
Kai has the filler is cut out, the fights have less interruptions(Goku v Cell is soooo good in Kai), and the only major long-lasting power up is Vegeta not-going SSj on Freeza, Goku going SSj the first time, and Vegeta Final Flashing. Pretty much all the bullshit is cut. The whole Namek Saga has a more appropriate feel in Kai too, rather than throwing goofy comic relief in every episode with "What wacky shit are Chi-chi, Yajirobe, and Roshi up to on Earth" *Pan to sky* -or- Bulma's misadventures, you get a series of episodes where Gohan, Krillin, and Bulma are on a planet and they are disconnected from Earth and effectively have no hope. It's handled way better, and as I understand, closer to the manga.

DBKai is a far superior viewing experience to DBZ, to the point I can't actually watch DBZ anymore. Sucks they fucked with some edits and the cropping, but I'd take it over Z. Also the plagiarized soundtrack is pretty excellent overall, if it's still possible to torrent those episodes. The Ginyu Theme alone makes Kai worth it.

I'm not including the Buu Saga my opinion above, since the Kai version so far seems the same as Z with a shorter Saiyaman bit. Actually the Gohan going to school bit thru the martial arts tournament is all I've enjoyed from the Kai Buu Saga so far. After they leave the tournament it seems like the same slow awful Buu Saga from DBZ. :(
#34  April 30, 2015, 07:38:28 am
I actually agree with chrono on this one. I will say that I missed the early Buu Saga filler and mid-Cell Saga filler though because I remembered it so fondly.

Very excited for the new series, I will go into it without any pre-determined expectations, and just enjoy it for all that it's worth.
#35  April 30, 2015, 09:16:02 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
Look at all these casuals that are settling with Kai because they didn't get all the Dragon Boxes.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#36  April 30, 2015, 10:00:08 am
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
I'm quite worried about this because I can bet all my money that Goku and Vegeta will be the main characters, putting Gohan, Goten, Trunk, Uub, Pan and Bra as supporting characters. Its mainly why I don't really like Buu saga because once again Goku and Vegeta had to finish the job, Gohan barely managed to do anything relevant in this saga. Making Goku and Vegeta the main character again would be pointless and drag down the quality of this sequel, but people will kill Akira if he dares to make other characters beside Goku have relevance in the plot so I wouldn't dream on that. At best we can have something close to the latest movies which are good but clearly far from Frieza saga or Cell saga for example.

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States
#37  April 30, 2015, 03:29:53 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Get this over to new Toonami with Sailor Moon Crystal and whatever Gundam's cooking up and I'll have reason to watch AS's version of Toonami again. And maybe we can get Young Justice and Sym-Bionic Titan to return there too...

Since Beerus though, things bigger than Buu continue to annoy me.  You got a practically immortal blob that makes a game out of eating the highest tier of gods in the universe and can up and make said universe go boom if it entertained him.  Beerus just happening to be around and not caring about this bugged me, and now Frieza could make those feats childsplay now that he cared to stop being lazy and trained himself a little. 
#38  April 30, 2015, 04:44:35 pm
Take a look at the two movies Battle Of Gods and this new Frieza's movie. I do see that Akira Toriyama actually has that old Dragonball twist back in were everyone does something. Remember that when Goku was a kid, all Characters around him were doing something. They were all important somehow. I don't think that there is a rule that every character must fight or something. Some of them are just there for being there. Elder Kai does talk to. Does he have to fight? I mean, is it so that talking or less fighting makes a character less important? Some characters are maybe not right for plots.

Piccolo for example really is really calm. He is there with his mind. It doesn't matter if he fights. It would be Excellent of course but he is still great if he doesn't fight. Of course, I do agree that the characters that knows to fight should fight but, it doesn't really matter. If you look at the two movies, everyone is there with a small or big role. It does look like Akira Toriyama goes back to the idea were everyone becomes important. I believe that this is done slowly and not straight. I just hope to see this done more in the upcomming Dragonball Super Series.
#39  April 30, 2015, 06:30:04 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
Look at all these casuals that are settling with Kai because they didn't get all the Dragon Boxes.
Whatever it takes  to make yourself feel comfortable about spending money on ~100 extra episodes of shitty filler and slow, heavily interrupted, uninteresting interactions, and drawn out battles repeating the same scenes over and over again, or the stereotypical power up shout sequences.  :Mr-T:

I'll take my 98 episodes of Kai over 194 episodes of slow-paced filler-filled DBZ any day. :)

As far as the new series go I'd rather them take in a direction that feels more like Dragon Ball, sort of like that anniversary movie, where they weren't fighting against the most super power bad guys ever type thing. But in the end as long as they can keep that good Akira Toriyama feel with the character interactions it's fine by me, I probably won't care if they go beyond Buu or anything as long as it's a fun experience instead of an annoying one (GT).
#40  April 30, 2015, 11:10:08 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--T0Fi15c---/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1231393277187383654.png
Ok, so trained a LOT and educated himself in the finer parts of Earth's pop culture.  Still somewhat bugs me.

I'm on the Z side of this Kai/Z debate.  There's some charm to Dragon Ball's world building even with the silliest and most non-essential excuses.  Like Goku learning to dress like Fred Flintstone and getting his license.  Or 16, 17 and 18 messing with some teens in their race.  And Gohan actually trained and learned some things before Nappa and Vegeta showed up.

It'd be hell to go through and watch all over again though.