YesNoOk

New Dragonball Super Series (Read 1522422 times)

Started by Omega, April 28, 2015, 02:37:30 pm
Share this topic:
Re: New Dragonball Super Series
#2341  September 22, 2021, 02:16:15 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 02:24:08 am by Long John Killer
#2342  September 22, 2021, 02:22:26 am
One thing that Minus and Broly retconned was that Goku is the same age as Vegeta. Goku landing as a baby came from the anime, it never was in the manga (the head bump as a child is only mentioned once by Raditz, I don't think the manga ever showed it), and Minus/Broly showed Goku being about 5, like Vegeta, not a baby.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#2343  September 22, 2021, 02:26:25 am
    • USA
But the anime and manga contradictions are voided now, aren't they?  Toriyama had some press briefing on them both being equally canon or something akin to that years ago.  I mean, yeah, it's STUPID, it causes all sort of wrinkles in the finer details, but that was their take on why Super has two interpretations of the same story with its anime and manga as well.  Plot beats in one end of the story are supposed to be assumed happened in the other I guess is the takeaway intention they were going for.
#2344  September 22, 2021, 04:45:15 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#2345  September 22, 2021, 05:38:21 pm
Toriyama had some press briefing on them both being equally canon or something akin to that years ago. 
I haven't seen that (sounds like something he might have said when the Bardock SSJ movie then Minus came out, in fact ?) but it sounds to me like a typical "I don't care about canon" answer from an author who doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. He's just saying "IDGAF, you can keep your anime canon alive, I'm doing the manga canon, everything is canon" so no one gets upset that the thing they like is "not official" / no better than a random Internet fanfic. It's very common, and I don't think it means one canon is incompatible with the other or you should assume that one canon also exists in the other until it's contradicted, they just exist in parallel until something is mentioned in both canons. The only thing you could consider a contradiction is that Toriyama worked on designs for both Bardock and Broly (he even namedropped Bardock during the Goku/Frieza fight), yet the events weren't manga canon until Minus and the Broly movie which "contradicted" the Toei movies.
Personally I'm just ignoring everything from the anime until Toriyama makes his own spin of it.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 05:43:54 pm by Byakko
#2346  September 22, 2021, 11:58:06 pm
    • USA
I thought it was more recent than that.  Still years old, but from the release of Super's manga.  Eh, whenever it happened, that's the general gist of it anyways.  I personally always correlated the Dragon Ball and DBZ anime to the GT timeline, since the franchise might not do anything new with it but it won't ever let it actually die in the public eye thanks to how everyone and their mother loves SSJ4.  GT makes references to anime filler that Kai and Super just ignore.  Don't quite know how it works with the dozen OVAs out there, because GT also references them yet I always thought the fanbase-wide interpretation was the movies were all in their own timeline with events shifted or deleted to make room for World's Strongest and Cooler and Broly and whatnot.

ANYWAYS, decades old filler aside, I was actually not at all aware the current Dragon Ball canon does not count Goku hitting his head as a child rendering him without his innate Saiyan barbarism but also is why he's a massive idiot.  I had always considered that to be a key part of Dragon Ball's whole legacy, his change of heart at such an early age is where his whole pure heart stuff came from.  Elsewise he was destined to just grow up to be another Raditz.  Not a fan if that's the case its been changed.  Not a fan at all.
#2347  September 23, 2021, 01:20:24 am
Goku did hit his head, Raditz asks exactly that and Goku confirms it. It's just that it was always assumed he was a baby (probably because Raditz says it, I don't remember the exact phrase, that detail did get thrown out), and Minus showed he was about 5 already. But Raditz does say that must be what changed him. And made him dumb probably yes, that's still the accepted meme canon.
Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:23:37 am by Byakko
#2348  October 07, 2021, 07:56:08 pm
    • Dominica
I don't like to blame so much often but I really dont like that CGI they elected because everything looks weird like playing a video game in 15 FPS

Broly will be back
Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 08:41:08 pm by yaret
#2349  October 08, 2021, 12:11:24 am
Nice catch on Broly, really glad to see that (I wonder if they planned to have him visible there, seems like a big spoiler to be revealed with such a tiny detail). The new character (and surely the other one too) is also revealed to be from the Red Ribbon, they hid that detail on the concept art they showed this summer. He has the attitude of a super hero, so is the Red Ribbon trying to pose as good guys fighting the dangerous Saiyans ? Also weird that they have a picture of Buu with his angry eyes. Are they trying to reveal that Buu was a bad guy that killed everyone after the ending of DBZ had everyone's memories erased, or something along those lines ?
Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 12:15:50 am by Byakko
#2350  October 08, 2021, 12:50:00 pm
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
Given this movie seems to feature a time skip, I wonder if Broly's developed much in that time...? Has he gone to therapy yet?
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack
#2351  October 20, 2021, 09:24:18 pm
Few things from this month's chapter...
The manga is mixing a few different designs of Saiyan armor that were previously assumed to just be either evolving over different time periods or just retconned with new designs for the hell of it (Bardock's armor)
Ape Bardock just chilling on a tower doing fucking nothing for several whole ass panels lol
The old Namekian hid from Granolah the fact that he (the kid) is responsible for his mom's death
He didn't use the Dragon Balls, not even to revive the mom - maybe kid Granolah died and the Namekian chose to revive him, and then couldn't help anyone else because as they've been hinting multiple times, he's weaker, so his dragon balls are weak ?
Vegeta does remember Bardock (if only from hanging out with Raditz for a couple decades) but never discussed it with Goku. Okay.
Bardock found out the gas heaters planned to betray Freeza, but they're still alive and the Saiyans are not (I forgot, are the heeters still serving Freeza since his revival or is this just a coincidence ?). Maybe they're planning to handle Bardock's failed rebellion from this, beyond this mere flashback cameo, and we'll get a good new look at it.
I really hope Bardock is only surprised that Gine's tummy is flat because he didn't realize it's been several months and she's given birth since last time he saw her, rather than the manga trying to suggest he doesn't understand what pregnancy is despite having had Raditz before Goku. The fuck was that, really. Like "what the fuck, did a tiny person just come out of you ?"
If it is just because he didn't care to keep track of her pregnancy time, then maybe that checks out with him acting kinda nonchalant about deciding on a whim to spare the mom and kid : he just doesn't care about much most of the time and ends up being oblivious about a lot. Look at him lying so easily about looking for survivors, that man does not give a shit about anything, and with a straight face.
Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 09:48:13 pm by Byakko
#2352  October 21, 2021, 03:53:14 pm
    • Dominica
Ape Bardock just chilling on a tower doing fucking nothing for several whole ass panels lol
maybe he was thinking about the destruction that was happening to the people, and Toriyama didn't want to draw about it but the animeted serie can do it
He didn't use the Dragon Balls, not even to revive the mom
yeah i was thinking about the whole chapter why? he didn't

#2353  October 21, 2021, 04:09:40 pm
maybe he was thinking about the destruction that was happening to the people, and Toriyama didn't want to draw about it but the animeted serie can do it
(It's Toyotaro, not Toriyama)
Nah, he was looking around, then he found someone running toward that broken building. Probably went there thinking he would round up anyone trying to escape, like he's today's lookout or tower guard, but he found a mother and child instead and changed his mind.
Bardock isn't suddenly a good guy just because he saved three people among however many races he's genocided at this point.
I'm just waiting to see him actually fight, if they can make him as brutal and tactical as the old movie.

I missed him before but we see kid Raditz playing with other kids outside for one panel when Bardock is talking with Gine. Father and son clearly don't care about each other.
Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 04:17:03 pm by Byakko
#2354  October 21, 2021, 04:19:55 pm
    • Dominica
And something I have to say after moro´s death, every chapter has been finished in suspense, I like this way to tell stories.
#2355  December 18, 2021, 04:52:49 pm
    • Dominica
Gohan is back.! so I still dont like the 3D :S but I will go to the cinema with open mind. released 4/22
Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 05:00:55 pm by yaret
#2356  December 18, 2021, 07:34:24 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
Personally do not care if media is in 2D or 3D

But god, the visuals on this Trailer made me wish there was a Dragon Ball Video Game that went with THIS exact style

I specially adore all the "BAAM" "kWAAM" comic textthing when the Red Ribbon Hero is punching piccolo aesthetics
#2357  December 18, 2021, 07:36:47 pm
The trailer kind of makes it look like Piccolo ends up in critical condition and Gohan is out for revenge in his name. I wonder if Red Ribbon is trying to punish Piccolo for his first tournament and for his dad. Also, their hero is a cyborg android like the other RR "weapons".
I'm gonna assume that Broly only makes a cameo and doesn't actually get involved. It's nice that they're acknowledging the previous movie even if they don't make use of it.

I specially adore all the "BAAM" "kWAAM" comic textthing when the Red Ribbon Hero is punching piccolo aesthetics
You're thinking of Super Dragon Ball Z, the one that tried to imitate Street Fighter's 2D plan and added those special effects;
Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 12:21:02 am by Byakko
#2358  December 18, 2021, 09:46:59 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
Honestly? On a second watch, Feels like this movie be one of those "Filler" type, where only the tiny details matters {Like Broly training with Goku--}
and the rest is just pure comedy and non-serious fights {To the point don't need the big gun MCs} and it´s nothing important in the grand scheme of things WHICH is good

Time to turn brain off and get pop corn, just like with the old Z movies.

You're thinking of Super Dragon Ball Z, the one that tried to imitate Street Fighter's 2D plan and added those special effects;

Never heard of it! But, yeah, pretty much was.
#2359  December 18, 2021, 09:47:30 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
from the looks of this trailer, the red ribbon army has returned but this time its got a hero?
#2360  December 19, 2021, 12:28:12 am
Honestly? On a second watch, Feels like this movie be one of those "Filler" type, where only the tiny details matters {Like Broly training with Goku--}
and the rest is just pure comedy and non-serious fights {To the point don't need the big gun MCs} and it´s nothing important in the grand scheme of things WHICH is good
Yeah, it's been a long ass time since everyone has been begging for anything about sidetracked characters like Gohan and Piccolo.
Toriyama's third movie will be about the mightiest Earthlings Krillin, Tenshinhan and Yamcha, with Kame Sennin's biggest secret about his era as a hero, you heard it here first.

By the way, I can't remember if Super gave Gohan his SSJ form back (I think Resurrection F did it, and the anime probably did but I think the Super manga never did ?). This movie giving that form such a strong focus feels like they've been wanting to really address the Mystic form question but never got around to do it properly. Remember Battle of God when they showed SSJ Gohan in the trailer but then went back on it and took it out of the actual movie after people asked what the fuck was going on ? And then contrast with them glancing over it in Resurrection F, explicitly pointing out how much weaker he's grown, and moving that into the time-wasting training montage he got in the anime before the TOP.

By the way, about the manga, apparently some interview about this trailer mentions that the Granolah Arc is ending soon and next year (probably early in the year) will start the next arc.
Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 12:35:43 am by Byakko