YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 734320 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#1661  September 07, 2019, 11:37:29 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Capcom's already got so much representation, though; three characters, two stages, and a cubic buttload of music.  Let someone else get in on the fun.

I said it before, but at this point the only thing that can be safely assumed is that nothing can be safely assumed.  Of the 5 DLC characters we've seen so far, 4 were left-field longshots that nobody was thinking about joining Smash, and the other was widely regarded as being impossible to get due to being owned by a rival platform.  Based on Sakurai's comments in that last direct, it seems like his direction this time is leaning towards trying to see as many different series represented in Smash Bros as possible this time around.  So if anything, the best we can guess is that future characters will be from franchises that aren't already present in the game.

Watch the 5th fighter pass somehow be Waluigi just to troll everybody, though.
Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:24:56 am by Person Man
#1662  September 08, 2019, 12:03:42 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Wonder how far they can go to get further and further from Nintendo-related properties?  My wish would still be for Master Chief, but at least as far as this fighters pass goes that's a no-go, 343 themselves said they haven't had any talks about including anything Halo.  But yeah, if they're getting IPs that once were on Nintendo in some form but no longer are, the next step would be those truly console exclusive guys.  Like, I don't think Ratchet & Clank ever left the PlayStation line for any reason, that would also be a great addition for me personally pushing the boundaries of what they'd include.

I got a hunch that they're going to make Waluigi and save him for dead last.  No hard evidence or anything, just the demand for the meme character is there and Sakurai's surely heard those memes well, we got the Undertale skeleton after all.  Whenever Sakurai and his team are completely done with this Smash title and its DLC, they'll just drop him unceremoniously.  A perfect end cap to the game's lifespan.

I can't disagree with Capcom does have a bunch of representation as is....but I'd also be bold-face lying if I said I wouldn't want more.  Capcom went hand-in-hand with Nintendo as a kid.  I'd kill for Chun-li, M. Bison, X and Zero to show up proper.  And I'm sure others would want Dante or Phoenix Wright or the Monster Hunter, and I'd be fine with those too.  But I'm not holding my breath for any of that either.  I mean, we did just get Zero as a Mii costume.
#1663  September 08, 2019, 02:40:41 am
    • USA
I'd actually be totally be on board with Waluigi if they just redesigned him as a WarioWare character.  It's not like Sakurai's never completely reimagined an existing character for Smash before.  If anyone can make Waluigi not suck, it's Sakurai.
#1664  September 08, 2019, 05:23:48 am
    • Brazil
Based on Sakurai's comments in that last direct, it seems like his direction this time is leaning towards trying to see as many different series represented in Smash Bros as possible this time around.  So if anything, the best we can guess is that future characters will be from franchises that aren't already present in the game.
Okay, so, assuming that this is what he actually meant and considering franchises that would be weird or "unexpected" (and ignoring Ryu Hayabusa, because he already seems to be the last one, right?):

• Scorpion/Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat) - Now, I know that including both is kinda cheating, but I just cannot see them including only one of these two, they both have movesets diverse enough to be included and I don't think I need to mention how iconic they and the franchise are.
  • Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) - Okay, Dynasty Warriors isn't the most beloved franchise out there, but its definitely a well known name among hack'n'slash franchises, despite its many flaws. Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends - Definitive Edition was released not too long ago for Switch, and the franchise had games in Nintendo consoles before, so I think it has a fair chance of getting represented. And who is a better choice to represent it than the posterboy that does a lot of crazy impossible shit while fighting in the series' trailers and intros?
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts) - Now, now, I know that this is a Disney character, but Sora is a game character nonetheless and a really popular one at that. He also fits very well the colorful aesthetic of Smash and would look great among Nintendo characters, not to mention the many possible movesets.
  • The Dovahkiin (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim) - This is probably the craziest choice in this list, but hey, TES peaked with Skyrim, and the game has been re-released several thousand times, I've lost count, Switch included, which means its protagonist is a possibility. There are several options for moves between weapons, magics and shouts and even costumes could be varied considering all the stuff you can equip in Skyrim.
  • Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) - Lara is a simple character when it comes to moveset, but she is a really damn iconic one in videogame history. I was surprised to find that Tomb Raider doesn't seem to have that many Nintendo console releases, but it has some, so who cares? Joker got in, she has a decent chance at least.
#1665  September 08, 2019, 12:16:21 pm
  • Samurai Sprite Ripper
  • Currently ripping Ninja Warriors
    • Japan
    • sites.google.com/view/kanbeiscreations/home
  • Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) - Okay, Dynasty Warriors isn't the most beloved franchise out there, but its definitely a well known name among hack'n'slash franchises, despite its many flaws. Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends - Definitive Edition was released not too long ago for Switch, and the franchise had games in Nintendo consoles before, so I think it has a fair chance of getting represented. And who is a better choice to represent it than the posterboy that does a lot of crazy impossible shit while fighting in the series' trailers and intros?
Well if they where going to pick someone from that series, I would assume Lu Bu over Zhao Yun. I feel like he is the face of Dynasty Warriors compared to Zhao Yun. I mean hell everyone of them that Koei makes (including Warriors Orochi, Musou Stars and any guest appearance.) has always giving him his own Theme to the game, so it makes sense to pick Lu Bu over Zhao Yun. IMO

Sora (Kingdom Hearts) - Now, now, I know that this is a Disney character, but Sora is a game character nonetheless and a really popular one at that. He also fits very well the colorful aesthetic of Smash and would look great among Nintendo characters, not to mention the many possible movesets.
It could happen, I would want to see Sora join smash but this is Disney and you know how they are when it come to business...

#1666  September 08, 2019, 12:24:04 pm
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
I really, really want a Resident Evil character to be in, especially Leon, since I find weird that he is the most popular character from the series but has never shown up in a big crossover.
Lasagna
#1667  September 09, 2019, 04:06:45 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
No more fad characters please, Sans already fills the fad games quota. Also please no meme characters.

I just want Jazz Jackrabbit.
#1668  September 09, 2019, 04:09:45 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Literally who

lui

#1669  September 09, 2019, 04:13:02 am
    • USA
Literally wh-ah shit someone beat me to it
#1670  September 09, 2019, 04:19:26 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Jazz Jackrabbit ain't even number one on the incredibly niche list of green gun-toting rabbits
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1671  September 09, 2019, 04:25:35 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Who's number one

Gun n Run rep with Bill Rizer (second Konami wouldn't hurt) and a beat em up rep with either Kunio or the Lee Brothers would be nice.
#1672  September 09, 2019, 04:30:29 am
    • USA
No more fad characters please, Sans already fills the fad games quota. Also please no meme characters.

I think you found literally the only exception to the "any video game character is fair game" mentality of this DLC pack, and that's coming from someone who actually owned the Jazz Jackrabbit shareware floppy back in the day.  Nobody remembers Jazz Jackrabbit.
#1673  September 09, 2019, 04:45:32 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1674  September 09, 2019, 05:06:20 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I like that I can not read that not in singsong.

If you're going for the super obscure characters, at least go for ones that are Nintendo exclusive like Marina Liteyears or something.
#1675  September 09, 2019, 05:21:41 am
    • Brazil

Undertale isn't a fad game. Also, a Rabbid is much more likely to be added than an obscure ugly rabbit that nobody remembers.
#1676  September 09, 2019, 06:29:24 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Gun n Run rep with Bill Rizer (second Konami wouldn't hurt)
We have 3 Konami Fighters already. Since Namco is under-rep'd, I think either Stahn from Tales of Destiny or Yuri from Tales of Vesperia has a chance, the former for nostalgic reasons. Or even bring other Namco classic characters like Gilgamesh from Tower of Druaga, Bravoman or Taizo Hori from Dig Dug.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#1677  September 09, 2019, 07:23:43 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
#1678  September 09, 2019, 02:30:25 pm
    • Brazil
Someone from Tekken or Soul Calibur could represent Namco, and I could see many characters doing that, but if we go for popularity and uniqueness, Ivy would be a great choice.
#1679  September 09, 2019, 05:49:48 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
For Namco I'd prefer Klonoa.

And if Konami gets another rep I'd prefer Sparkster.

I think you found literally the only exception to the "any video game character is fair game" mentality of this DLC pack, and that's coming from someone who actually owned the Jazz Jackrabbit shareware floppy back in the day.  Nobody remembers Jazz Jackrabbit.

I do. Also you people probably don't know, but Jazz Jackrabbit has a very active modding community. It sure is a niche game, but it isn't a totally obscure one.

Undertale isn't a fad game.

Except it is.

Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 05:55:53 pm by Magma MK-II
#1680  September 09, 2019, 06:02:30 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
A fad implies that it's popularity is temporary and forgotten about in a short amount of the time. Undertale is still massively popular and a sequel is literally in the works.

No it's not a damn fad.