YesNoOk

Star Wars Thread: The Rise of running out of witty titles (Read 472364 times)

Started by Roman55, October 30, 2012, 09:02:49 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Star Wars Thread: The Rise of running out of witty titles
#421  December 31, 2019, 04:55:05 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKKx4vmi6NA&t=415s[/youtube]

It looks like Episode 9 of the Star Wars movies under-performed badly and Disney's stock has taken a hit because of the fact the franchise is collapsing. They will have to think big to get out of the few-billion dollar pit that they seem to find themselves in.
That seems... pretty unfounded, to say the least. It's already hit $725 million, and is expected to easily reach $1 billion at the very least.

Disney's stock took a (brief) hit because it's very clear that, while the movie's gonna be a success and turn a profit, it'll make nowhere near as much as it "should". The big final conclusion of the mainline Star Wars movies should be an easy slam dunk, it should be breaking box office records left and right, not struggle so much. It's by far the worst reviewed Star Wars movie that Disney's made, it's got the worst CinemaScore of any Star Wars movie, and it'll probably peter out and fail to exceed The Last Jedi's gross, despite being the super hyped up grand finale to end all finales.

I think even the dumbest studio execs would recognize there's still a problem here, and hopefully Lucasfilms gets their shit together. Maybe Star Wars isn't a thing that can handle biennial movie releases. Maybe they should stop firing directors halfway through pre-production (or worse, during the actual filming). Maybe they should try and actually develop a plan of some sort, instead of trying to wing everything like George Lucas did for the original trilogy.

Or maybe they're just gonna take a look at how Mandalorian seems to be fairly universally enjoyed and they'll just desperately chase whatever trend is behind that. :pwn:

lui

#422  December 31, 2019, 04:57:43 am
    • USA
Or maybe they're just gonna take a look at how Mandalorian seems to be fairly universally enjoyed and they'll just desperately chase whatever trend is behind that. :pwn:

ah great, now we're gonna have a movie about boba fett taking care of a stray porg.

you heard it here folks!
#423  December 31, 2019, 05:12:02 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Wasn't a Boba movie being produced a while ago? What happened?
Also, Obi-Wan movie when?
#424  December 31, 2019, 05:21:33 am
    • USA
The Boba Fett movie got canned because I think Solo underperformed? That was supposed to kick off a bunch of (excuse the pun) solo-lead movies, including a Boba Fett and Obi Wan movies.

The Obi Wan movie got reworked into a TV show that's currently in development, with some of the staff (notably one of the directors) from the Mandalorian running things. Maybe the Mandalorian itself obviates the need for a Boba Fett movie or TV show? Because fuck Boba Fett, that overhyped loser should stay dead!
#425  December 31, 2019, 05:39:35 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA

Well the secret to the Mandalorian's success imo is the scaled down storytelling and character work that's a necessity of working on TV

The worst episodes both in mine and what seems to be the prevailing critical opinion are the episodes that lean too far into "YOU KNOW THIS THING THIS IS THE THING"

So of course the answer is to make it a movie and throw lots of money at it and have Mando taking on 50 TIE fighters in his spaceship
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#426  December 31, 2019, 05:49:04 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
#427  December 31, 2019, 07:22:37 am
    • USA
People like Star Wars!
#428  December 31, 2019, 12:14:58 pm
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#429  December 31, 2019, 04:08:06 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
IIRc, the original idea with the non core movies ( han solo, etc..) was to have cheaper movies being produced so they could tkae longer to develop the core movies, but apparently solo and the previous movie went way over budget for that idea to work. It looks like the mandalorian (or tv series in general ) will fill that niche instead.
#430  January 01, 2020, 10:14:56 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
W-what? How they get over $700 million that fast?

Yeah, as Jman said, it's more because of the franchise itself, it's easy to make money when you own the rights of a big franchise like SW.

Have not touched The Mandalorian yet, so here I go. :P
#431  January 06, 2020, 03:26:58 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Saw the movie.  S'alright.

...And that's about it.  Which is an issue when you're something as big as Star Wars.  Mediocre doesn't cut it.  It was quite the enjoyable 2 and a half hour episode of The Clone Wars.  But not as good as a movie should be.  I mean, I enjoyed it better than The Last Jedi, and I didn't hate that film either, but beyond Rey and Ben there wasn't much to the new characters to care about.  I'm surprised people even miss Rose, she was just a bleeding heart from what I recall on Last Jedi.

C-3PO was particularly enjoyable being around the main crew this time, though.  Which however also highlighted the oddity that R2D2 wasn't also with him this time around.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#432  January 06, 2020, 03:50:14 am
I'm surprised people even miss Rose, she was just a bleeding heart from what I recall on Last Jedi.
She wasn't popular but that was more about the total lack of coherence and cohesion in the overall trilogy. But that's entirely Disney's fault, since it has come out (on Reddit) that JJ's cut did try to make sense of most of it, not only Kylo but even Rose kinda worked out as well as they possibly could, but Disney came at it with a chainsaw (and Rose was left with under a minute of screen time).
I'll just wait for that JJ cut to be leaked (not that Disney will ever let it see the light of day willingly).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#433  January 06, 2020, 05:01:04 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
People like Star Wars!

Yeah, as Jman said, it's more because of the franchise itself, it's easy to make money when you own the rights of a big franchise like SW.

Well, yeah. Pretty much that. It's sad that people still on the "hype" because "yeah, it's Star Wars" instead of watch carefully the movie and see the amount of plot holes, bad dialogues and a ridiculous conclusion for this trilogy. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and like many others around i was really disappointed with this crap of a movie that it's for me even worse than The Phantom Menace (yeah, hard for me to say that).
#434  January 06, 2020, 05:21:19 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#435  January 06, 2020, 06:16:01 am
    • USA
As much as I fucking hated TRoS, I feel like it basically accomplished its goals. Sure, those goals were horribly cynical and desperately seeking to be as obnoxiously fan service-y as possible, but it was able to do all that while also more or less presenting a coherent story in which characters have arcs and shit (the story was shit and the arcs were either near nonexistant or just fucking stupid, but they still exist!).

The same can't really be said of the prequels, even though the ideas it was trying to explore were way more interesting than what TRoS decided the sequel trilogy was actually about. The execution of the prequels is just so bad, on so many levels, from the awful writing, to the poor acting, the list goes on. But then again, I feel like both TFA and TLJ were able to have interesting ideas and execute them well, which in a way makes it worse that TRoS took such a huge dump on them both. At least with the prequels, they were all shit, so by the time Revenge of the Sith rolled around it wasn't as bad. There was no high expectations or anything... :(

But that's entirely Disney's fault, since it has come out (on Reddit) that JJ's cut did try to make sense of most of it, not only Kylo but even Rose kinda worked out as well as they possibly could, but Disney came at it with a chainsaw (and Rose was left with under a minute of screen time).
I'll just wait for that JJ cut to be leaked (not that Disney will ever let it see the light of day willingly).
I've been reading up on this over the weekend and it seems to be 100% made up. The cut scenes the "leak" purports make little to no sense, and the explanations of why the changes were made make even less sense. Like, one of the big things that was apparently cut was a big group scene of a bunch of Force ghosts helping Rey defeat Palpatine or whatever, and that got axed because... uh... *gestures vaguely* CHINA.

Which just doesn't hold water. Not only had every plot detail in the movie had been leaked months beforehand, but additionally, all the various dropped plot points and scenes were cut also leaked in the same post—specifically, there was a leaker on Reddit 2 months ago who posted a plot summary of the movie as it was being finalized, with numerous changes and crossed out sections (of note, there was a really big emphasis on Rey and Kylo being a "force dyad" and that harnessing the power of the dyad was Palpatine's ultimate goal, which was all completely dropped; other dropped plots included that ex-stormtrooper lady they meet near the Death Star II ruins was gonna be Lando's daughter, but they completely cut out every single scene leading up to that revelation, leaving only the final scene where Lando says he'll help her find her family). And in that fairly exhaustive leak, there was no word about a secret force ghost scene. And certainly, getting a bunch of big name actors like Samuel L. Jackson et. al. to shoot a force ghost scene would've been leaked by now by more reputable sources, but it hasn't.

And of course, to blame the cut on China is just insane. Setting aside the fact that "China doesn't allow movies with ghosts!" is a flawed and not really accurate understanding of how things work with China's censorship policies; in the actual fucking movie that got released, there are multiple force ghosts! For sustained scenes! There's a whole goddamn scene with ghost Luke! And that shit remained in the version that Chinese audiences saw! There's no way a scene with a bunch of ghosts got cut in every version released in the world because of China.

As for the non-ghost changes, the dumb Reddit guy comes up with an elaborate conspiracy that Disney intentionally sabotaged the movie and made it less good to spite J.J. Abrams (because his production company got bought by Warner Bros recently), which is just... insane and impossible to believe. This movie is gonna make Disney unfathomable amounts of money, they wouldn't purposefully try and ruin it out of some stupid vendetta, not when there's money to be made. Like shit, of course Disney is a giant evil corporation, but they're not that stupid.

The leak has already been refuted by a lot of industry people; it's just not at all believable. Unfortunately, there's a growing cult of people who believe in it full-throatedly, and it's already giving off the same kind of vibes as the Snyder cut people. So that means things are only gonna get worse. :pwn:
#436  January 07, 2020, 01:57:36 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Besides all the logical holes in the narrative, expecting the fabled "JJ cut" to fix all the problems RoS had is like expecting a serial arsonist to put out the fires in Australia.
#437  January 10, 2020, 05:13:45 pm
  • Not a good spriter.
    • USA
#438  January 10, 2020, 05:24:10 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Feel free to actually give your thoughts on the movie if you're truly interested in countering the negativity
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#439  January 11, 2020, 06:40:48 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
I see the point of people who like and didn't like it, For me it wasn't bad, instead I'd say it was disappointing. From the time Disney put their hands on the franchise, I though it was going to be an awesome trilogy. They started not so bad with The Force Awakens, even though I didn't like the "copy-paste from A New Hope" feeling, I was intrigued to know what was going to happen next. But then... pffft. As I said, disappointing...
This is all my opinion though, you're free to like whatever you want. My brother liked The Last Jedi when we saw it in the theaters, even I was "eh, it's ok...". People don't like TPM and I like it. People don't like much ROTJ (EWOKS, I know), but like it.
#440  January 13, 2020, 11:18:20 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
Even when it has its faults, Rogue One is the best SW movie ever.
There.
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand