YesNoOk

What makes a GOOD mugen char? (Read 2701 times)

Started by Weed and Video Games, February 27, 2020, 06:47:56 pm
Share this topic:
What makes a GOOD mugen char?
#1  February 27, 2020, 06:47:56 pm
  • Wowzers!
What makes a GOOD mugen char?

What makes a trash mugen char?

I keep seen the term trash being thrown around willy nilly and I'd like some insight.
Re: What makes a GOOD mugen char?
#2  February 27, 2020, 06:58:13 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 As far as subjective "goodness" goes? It's extremely hard to truly pin down beyond personal preferences.

Speaking of which, this quote of mine is a take on objective "goodness" at a MUGEN Discord server I frequent. Might sound really Platonic.

I feel like arguing about which subjective "goodness" in a MUGEN character is better just becomes pulling hairs.

I suppose you can argue about an objective "goodness" in a character, but then you would have to marginalize specific stuff like gameplay styles and focus on aspects that are acceptable by the majority (does the character function correctly when they're loaded? is the character comfortable to control/has working inputs? Are the aesthetics at least passable to not rape the common eyes/ears? does their gameplay make enough sense to take as many conventional gameplay cues from FGs as possible?). By that same token, it's probably why objective "badness" in a character is much easier to determine because  we focus on that more anyway.
#3  February 27, 2020, 07:14:35 pm
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com
nothing, eyes of the beholder.
this website is stupid
#4  February 27, 2020, 08:27:46 pm
  • SNK is life
The most important part about a character being "not trash" is that it should be relatively fair and balanced against other characters, which aren't harmonized in mechanics in the MUGEN Engine, so a few rules of thumb could apply as guidelines:

- Preferably not having infinite unescapable combo loops
- Touch of death combos are OK as long as they can't be performed on Round 1 start
- Must not have poorly coded moves that generate unwanted behaviors on opponents (stay bugged on screen)
- If aiming for source game accuracy, must emulate the mechanics properly
- Attacker must have well planned juggle mechanics for fair damage and avoiding opponent recovery mid combo
- Preferably not generate more than 1 projectile on screen at a time, as not all characters have the toolset to manage that
- Must be coded in a way that a reasonable amount of missed or blocked moves are punishable
Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:31:37 pm by walt
#5  February 29, 2020, 08:16:31 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Most of the time you can just tell how much care has been put into something. Some characters feel like the author gave a damn. Others feel like the author just took something else swapped sprites and put it out for kudos.

This is often more obvious when you get 2 things by the same author. The characters arent always terrible. But if someone who cares comes along you absolutely want that version over the meh one.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#6  February 29, 2020, 04:32:59 pm
Idea, knowledge, Time and effect