YesNoOk

fighting games news that dont deserve their own thread (Read 769197 times)

Started by Niitris, May 08, 2014, 11:34:32 pm
Share this topic:
Re: fighting games news that dont deserve their own thread
#1041  January 03, 2017, 11:26:24 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I agree with dropping Tekken just because that game isn't even out on consoles yet, and prioritizing a game that half the population can't play just seems kinda...I dunno, I don't like it.  It's fine for events hosted in countries that actually have access to the game but since Evo is in the US it rubs me the wrong way to have that game as a mainstage one over games that have substantial support of their own and are actually available on console. 
#1042  January 03, 2017, 11:34:22 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I know I listed Marvel 3 in my predictions, but I have to wonder if it will really come back as it felt like they were treating it last year as if it would have been it's last hurrah. I can see KOF taking its place, but I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel 3 comes back for one more year and replaced with Infinite next year.
#1043  January 03, 2017, 01:42:07 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Let them riot then, they should be happy Smash has been one of the top games for the past couple of years at EVO.

I agree with this. Really, why should WE care abouth them? I don't see them keeping 3rd Strike or KoF 98 in favor of most recent games, so why the Smashfags gets special treatment? They should be happy the latest one is there even though it isn't even a fighting game.
#1044  January 03, 2017, 03:09:55 pm
Because as already mentioned, it's easily the most popular game they feature. They're the "necessary evil" if people wanna see fighting games grow further.

That said I don't care much for how commercialized Evo has become, so I don't give much a damn about what games they choose. I don't particularly dislike Smash being at Evo, but I'll never quite get over the idea of it getting in over more niche titles that also have active communities. But will never do the same numbers for obvious reasons.

They'll feature the popular games at the expense of games that fall more in line with traditionalists, because $$$. They also feature Melee again for the same reason, even though yeah, they really shouldn't get 2 spots lol. Organizers at Evo should go and tell them which game do they want featured, but they won't because loss of viewers/entrants. Whatev, looking more forward to regional events.
Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:16:55 pm by Niitris
#1045  January 03, 2017, 03:17:58 pm
2016 said:
Street Fighter V: 5065
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 2637
Super Smash Bros. Melee: 2350
Pokkén Tournament: 1165
Guilty Gear Xrd: 903
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: 770
Mortal Kombat X: 707
Tekken 7: 543
Killer Instinct: 540
2015 said:
Ultra Street Fighter IV – 2227
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U – 1926
Super Smash Bros. Melee – 1869
Mortal Kombat X – 1162
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- – 968
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 – 816
Tekken 7 – 458
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax – 437
Killer Instinct – 397
since some people think smash is some niche bullshit that nobody plays and should be removed
#1046  January 03, 2017, 03:52:53 pm
What were the numbers for sf3.3 and the best kofs compared to their respective years ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#1047  January 03, 2017, 04:57:42 pm
  • #1 Boss Lady
    • UK
Probably abysmal, and should only be taken as relative if anything (though I think that's what you might be getting at anyway).

The FGC has been a slooooow come up, accessibility and technology have like just now made THESE numbers possible.
#1048  January 03, 2017, 06:54:57 pm
KoF was never a main stage game until XIII, so there isn't anything it can be compared to. And I'm not sure if there's entrant numbers for games in the pre-streaming days like Third Strike.

I mean, it's not as if there hasn't been multiple games of one series before (ST-Third Strike, TTT1-TK4), but that's when there were a smaller selection of quality games to choose from. To leave out sizable segments of the larger community (the kind of people who've built the genre into what it is today) because these two similar games have more demand isn't gonna jive well. But that's the nature of growing, bigger names sell.
Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:05:37 pm by Niitris
#1049  January 04, 2017, 12:40:54 am
  • The Goddess Returns
Titlin about the SF5 entrants, that's actually the number that pre-registered and according to sources, 1K+ of those who pre-registered didn't show up for SF5 when EVO finally happened. So the number would be closer to the lower 4K-high 3K

And honestly, I stopped caring about EVO specifically because they care more for popularity and cash then trying to get niche games over with everyone else in their bid to become "E-Sports". This is the main reason why I hope EVO Japan doesn't fall into the same nonsense and can try and do what EVO America basically dropped to the wayside and feature more niche titles into the spotlight.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#1050  January 04, 2017, 01:03:52 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Even if the 1000 people did not show up SFV, smash4 and melee still had the most player and it would be just dumb to cut any of them.
Plus I dont understand what people expect from EVO Japan it will be the same thing. Every big game will still be there.
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#1051  January 04, 2017, 01:24:56 am
    • USA
Let them riot then, they should be happy Smash has been one of the top games for the past couple of years at EVO.

I agree with this. Really, why should WE care abouth them? I don't see them keeping 3rd Strike or KoF 98 in favor of most recent games, so why the Smashfags gets special treatment? They should be happy the latest one is there even though it isn't even a fighting game.

Probably because side tournaments for those games get double digit entrants at most and Smash Melee gets literally thousands.  Also Third Strike and KOF 98 are completely irrelevant, Super Turbo and Darkstalkers still get run to solid turnouts however. 

Titlin about the SF5 entrants, that's actually the number that pre-registered and according to sources, 1K+ of those who pre-registered didn't show up for SF5 when EVO finally happened. So the number would be closer to the lower 4K-high 3K

And honestly, I stopped caring about EVO specifically because they care more for popularity and cash then trying to get niche games over with everyone else in their bid to become "E-Sports". This is the main reason why I hope EVO Japan doesn't fall into the same nonsense and can try and do what EVO America basically dropped to the wayside and feature more niche titles into the spotlight.

That makes no sense.  Niche games don't bring in money or entrants compared to the popular ones, and they still get to be there as side tournaments anyway.  It sounds to me like you're upset that whatever game you like isn't popular enough to be mainstage, and I'm not saying that to be condescending either.  I think you don't understand how running a tournament, especially one of this size, works.
#1052  January 04, 2017, 05:20:17 am
  • The Goddess Returns
That makes no sense.  Niche games don't bring in money or entrants compared to the popular ones, and they still get to be there as side tournaments anyway.  It sounds to me like you're upset that whatever game you like isn't popular enough to be mainstage, and I'm not saying that to be condescending either.  I think you don't understand how running a tournament, especially one of this size, works.

Remember the quote "Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups" because you clearly fucked up by making such a grand assumption.

I don't really care if the games I like the most are not popular(that actually makes it better for me so we don't get the typical stupid divisive fanbases like Final Fantasy and Sonic), the point I'm saying is that to have more people interested in the VARIETY of different fighters and help the overall FGC grow is more important than the money you get from a single tourney by catering for simply the most popular fighters at the time.

By simply showing off the exact same lineup in EVO Japan, it just makes it completely pointless past Japanese players don't need to toss around money to make the long trip and Americans have to(people inbetween mainly depends on where they are and how close they are to one or the other). What's the point of having the FGC be ruled by most popular games when most of the time, people may know and see the hidden gems and like those instead?

It's like saying that there should be absolutely no coverage of any other sport past Soccer, Football and maybe Basketball because the rest aren't popular enough which is pretty messed up for everyone else who wants to know what is going on in Baseball or Hockey.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#1053  January 04, 2017, 06:20:49 am
let's go further with that sports analogy. what you're doing now is complaining that the superbowl (a superbowl that includes 7 different sports somehow) is fucking up big time by not including darts. it doesn't mean there should never be any tournament for darts, it's just that the superbowl is not the place for it
#1054  January 04, 2017, 06:31:33 am
    • USA
let's go further with that sports analogy. what you're doing now is complaining that the superbowl (a superbowl that includes 7 different sports somehow) is fucking up big time by not including darts. it doesn't mean there should never be any tournament for darts, it's just that the superbowl is not the place for it

Thank you for saving me a post.  The only difference in this scenario is that darts would be there and they would have a smaller channel airing them, they just wouldn't be on the main arena or aired on the main channel.

If you're upset that whatever game you like isn't on the main stage, go out and support it instead of complaining and insulting more popular games.  It makes you look like you have a chip on your shoulder and you're not helping those games any.
#1055  January 04, 2017, 07:18:25 am
    • USA
Darts is a more complete game than some of the most popular ones anyway. Can you believe that it's 2017 and Soccer still has only TWO colored cards, red and yellow?
#1056  January 04, 2017, 07:54:13 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
The big game will still be at evo Japan (SFV-Tekken7-Smash4-GGxrd-BB)
Plus it is a big plus for the japanese player since a lot of them cant travel
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#1057  January 04, 2017, 05:22:38 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
arguing for more fighting game diversity while wanting to take down smash :/
#1058  January 04, 2017, 05:34:46 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Darts is a more complete game than some of the most popular ones anyway. Can you believe that it's 2017 and Soccer still has only TWO colored cards, red and yellow?
Most other sports don't feature CoC (cards of color), so Futbol is actually pretty progressive.
#1059  January 04, 2017, 05:38:39 pm
  • #1 Boss Lady
    • UK
#1060  January 04, 2017, 05:55:10 pm
    • USA
arguing for more fighting game diversity while wanting to take down smash :/

I'm not sure how sarcastic you're being, but if you're being serious I should have mentioned that to.  If you want variety then you can't excluside Smash because there's nothing like it.