YesNoOk

Anita Sarkeesian Variety hour! (Read 325861 times)

Started by Iced, March 09, 2013, 06:48:21 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Feminist study of games
#341  March 24, 2013, 07:12:08 pm
It would have failed if she had been a man, but it's not the reason it worked either.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#342  March 24, 2013, 08:08:01 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
But the point is that the only reason why she gets so much money is that she might have kicked a nest of hornets that is 4Chan, which generated the media publicity she needed to get all of the money.

Good for her, but is it really ethical to claim that you have been the victim while it is you who flung the first stone by provoking a situation like that?

Provoking someone into attacking you and claiming that you are innocent is not ethical in the least. If she really have done that, shame on her.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#343  March 24, 2013, 08:28:09 pm
i have no idea if she really posted the links on 4chan or whatever, but if she did, it still doesn't fucking warrant death and rape threats.
#344  March 24, 2013, 08:29:38 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Its a marketing ploy, its not the first time it worked either.  If 4chan wanted to destroy her they should have supported her.

really stupid trolls , the kind that work by roleplaying , assume characters and try to do the most they can to stick to those, these are all people trying to be as disgusting and shock value as possible. We have all seen them, it doesnt make them right.
now consider this: the product she sells is "you are being oppressed", she gathered the attention of the most obvious trolls possible, then went to give ted talks about it. Ofcouse money would rain in from people wanting to take a stance against that kind of harassment ( not exactly people wanting to support her project )

#345  March 24, 2013, 09:27:00 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#346  March 24, 2013, 09:56:18 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
i have no idea if she really posted the links on 4chan or whatever, but if she did, it still doesn't fucking warrant death and rape threats.

And that I agree with.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#347  March 24, 2013, 10:10:26 pm
    • Thailand
#348  March 24, 2013, 10:18:50 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
apparently all you need to do is to be a milionaire, spam twitter, and act like a misandry filled bitch that uses your own sons as villains to rake up money.

she repeatedly calls them out as mean kids, bullies and has one of them dressed with a shirt that says "I am a lesbian" .
Seriously one of the reward tiers ( for 10k I think ) is that the sons have to write a apology letter.

she seems to have a female only kickstarter site called fundher, how specific and terrible is that?
http://i.imgur.com/ce2TENp.png

here, from a fark thread about this:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#349  March 24, 2013, 10:25:32 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Oh really?!

What is with these scumbags? No one will donate to this person, and her name would forever be associated with this scam.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#350  March 24, 2013, 10:26:41 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
what are you talking about she asked for 900 dollars and already got 20 thousand dollars.
#351  March 24, 2013, 10:38:29 pm
  • What did the 5 fingers say to the face? SMAAACCCK!
WOW! this has got to be the most smartest woman on the planet. as iced says tho.. Scumbag. I read that one line at the bottom where she says basically to give women money cause " we can't help ourselves"...? ooook so where does Women Empowerment come in with saying something like that?  This woman is a true blue scammer and shame on her for using her kids like that!
#352  March 24, 2013, 10:43:44 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#353  March 24, 2013, 11:02:37 pm
  • What did the 5 fingers say to the face? SMAAACCCK!
damn! well whoever gave her money to fund whatever the hell it is she was trying to pull off ( and she over succeeded of course ..$$ :2thumbsup:) just added more money to her millions to something she has more than enough money to fund herself at a lil over 800 bucks. . great job.  I guess there are people out here who truly enjoy giving their money blindly away without researching and seriously thinking about the cause and who they giving it to.  making the rich..get a lil richer. lol
#354  March 24, 2013, 11:05:10 pm
    • Thailand
Why the fuck am I working for a living -- this seems so much easier. =/
#355  March 25, 2013, 12:31:16 am
    • Germany
I guess Anita Sarkeesi would say, it's the fault of the MAN who createt kickstater, that woman are using there little kids to scam there, because of the patriarchal society or something like that. xD
#356  March 25, 2013, 12:48:22 am
  • Shakespear.
I doubt it was her 'project' that was of interest to many myself... ;)
you're, for some reason, assuming that the project was largely funded by horny men that want a blowjob from her when it was probably 90% feminists
Well, them and their ex-girlfriends who dumped them because all they basically do is play video games full of impossibly hot women.  Pardon me for playing the devils advocate here, It's just funny to me.   
#357  March 25, 2013, 12:54:59 am
Don't you have that vague feeling that you missed something in what he said ? It sounded like "you're wrong".
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#358  March 25, 2013, 12:57:59 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
rmh, your assumption doesnt make much sense. it pushes the notion that they are giving her money because they find her attractive when its far more likely they are doing it to validate their own personal agendas.

Assuming that the people giving her money do so solely on the hopes that they would someday be able to sleep with her is pushing way way way over the line. Your notion is sexist.

Playing the devil advocat in this situation wouldnt pass by saying that her sex appeal got her the money since its not her lack of sex appeal that got it , so its a weird counter.
#359  March 25, 2013, 01:44:12 am
  • Shakespear.
rmh, your assumption doesnt make much sense. it pushes the notion that they are giving her money because they find her attractive when its far more likely they are doing it to validate their own personal agendas.

Assuming that the people giving her money do so solely on the hopes that they would someday be able to sleep with her is pushing way way way over the line. Your notion is sexist.

Playing the devil advocat in this situation wouldnt pass by saying that her sex appeal got her the money since its not her lack of sex appeal that got it , so its a weird counter.

Hey, I'm not saying those are the only people giving her money at all.  I've been kind of taking a joking standpoint on the whole thing (devils advocate to be clear).  To be perfectly honest I've never even read her blog or watched one of her videos, except for that one that the guy was critiquing. 

I am, however, still standing by the idea that even if she were a woman, but older and overweight that she wouldn't have gotten nearly the draw that she got. I'm saying I think there where hormones in that hornet nest she kicked, and I would feel naive to assume that being moderately attractive did nothing for her. 
Aside from that, I think to a decent extent her whole argument is extremely sexist, despite her giving her own gender the short end of the stick.  I think it subtly paints men who enjoy the roles of specific women in video games in a misogynistic light that they may or may not necessarily deserve.  I think by playing victim she's implying a problem group, which may or may not be at fault for anything at all.

Thinking out loud, maybe she's personally felt pigeonholed by chivalry in her life,  or been ignored for or ignored others for/by video games enough to feel like she's drawing some moralistic high ground in self defense and then displacing it, using the 'means' available to her, onto the video game crowd?  I don't know,  I don't particularly care either.  The whole thing smells funny to me, so I'm just giving it shit on the way by really.         

#360  March 25, 2013, 01:51:42 am