YesNoOk

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield (Switch) (Read 122198 times)

Started by Kirishima, February 27, 2019, 03:08:36 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield (Switch)
#141  July 11, 2019, 01:32:25 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
why do u always write pokemon like that >:(
#142  July 11, 2019, 01:33:34 am
  • For honor!
The title has an accented E. It's the closest I can get to doing it correctly.
Iroha stripped for me
#143  July 11, 2019, 01:44:23 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Ctrl+Alt+E or AltGr+E doesn't do it for you?

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#144  July 11, 2019, 01:59:06 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
But...you write "you" as "u".

Unfortunately, due to my hiatus from the series jumping from gen 3 to 6, I missed a lot of the baggage that this guy's brought with him over those generations when they were new, like this gen 4 mining thing I've yet to try out or this Dream World business to get hidden abilities.  But while many of the previous things missing are important set pieces to the overall experience of playing each game and their removal is, well, pretty stupid, they never really messed with the core gameplay aspect.  What I do know is additions to the main combat system were a welcome change, but removing them after hyping them up and letting them get settled as a natural part of combat just makes me feel like this is less fun to play.  They want to emphasize "less is more" but the series' freaking foundation is collecting the biggest, well, collection, then do what you will.  And now that we know that core combat mechanics are viable to just poof up in smoke, there's little riding on looking forward to the whole dynamaxing mechanic, because it just as well can be gone next generation for the next shiny button to press, taking something else unrelated but enjoyed with it as well.  So I hope you're not too attached to that cake monster or blackbird with drones.

I think what probably would have made this whole debacle sell was if this was the spin-off and Let's Go wasn't a thing.  I suppose that game was a forerunner to this happening anyways, but I'm once again reminded of the Gamecube console games, as they had an extremely limited roster to chose from.  So they set up more interesting scenarios around that fact.  Heck, the first one prohibited wild Pokémon at all and if I recall correctly if you missed stealing one it was gone forever.  The sequel loosened up a little but its dead wasteland of a country didn't offer a whole heck of a lot.  Then they opened up for transferring everyone after for the 100-trainer survival challenge, but as a spin-off, I don't think people would have flipped out over Coliseum or XD missing some of the roster.  But I suppose that doesn't solve the underlying problem that they evidently want this to be considered "normal" for the mainstream title going forward.
#145  July 11, 2019, 02:01:46 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
really genius observation there

if it isnt immediately obvious, im just messing around with arpa
#146  July 11, 2019, 02:03:00 am
    • USA
Just remarking the irony is all.  Was hoping it was intentional.
#147  July 11, 2019, 02:08:40 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
this is ridiculously offtopic but whatever. theres no correlation between the usage of "u" and "poke'mon." you dont sound as smart as you think. either way, lets end this little derail here and get back to arguing over the national dex.
#148  July 11, 2019, 02:16:14 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
One thing is, do we know how many are returning and how many are new? Cause they better have a nice size roster of pokemon to catch, not too big but varied.
#149  July 11, 2019, 02:22:26 am
    • USA
...Rude, but sure, whatever.  Just thought it was funny like you were aiming for.  Sorry for peeving you.

I wish they would just list if not who is missing from the game, the general ballpark number or guidelines as to what they think apparently fits naturally in Britain.  I thought it would be Legendaries and Mythics, but we clearly have Mew and most likely the metal Ditto from Pokémon Go, so at the very least the Mythics.  And Mew would be odd without Mewtwo, especially if they allow transfer from the Let's Go games with their own limited roster.  They said they're focused on popular Pokémon, but then we have the "living object" monsters that are always divisive if not in the majority disliked.  I'm pretty sure brining up the full Pokedex I could come up with reasons why all of them could have some hypothetical reason to be findable in some manner, so....just give us something to work with.

TL;DR, what he said.
#150  July 11, 2019, 02:34:02 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
I'm once again reminded of the Gamecube console games, as they had an extremely limited roster to chose from.  So they set up more interesting scenarios around that fact.  Heck, the first one prohibited wild Pokémon at all and if I recall correctly if you missed stealing one it was gone forever.  The sequel loosened up a little but its dead wasteland of a country didn't offer a whole heck of a lot.  Then they opened up for transferring everyone after for the 100-trainer survival challenge, but as a spin-off, I don't think people would have flipped out over Coliseum or XD missing some of the roster.

If you failed to catch a shadow Pokémon, it was always possible to get it again later on. The difference with these games is that while it wasn't possible to obtain the vast majority of Pokémon in-game, every single one of them from Gen I to Gen III could be transferred over and/or used in the Link Battle mode.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#151  July 11, 2019, 02:37:38 am
    • USA
I thought it was the sequel that had the trainer rematch, because you needed every Shadow Pokémon to eventually heal Lugia and finish the game?  Guess I remembered wrong.  Also forgot it had a player versus mode, so that kinda defeats my point I guess.  But yeah, while those back then did still let you use everyone, a title like those I don't think people would have been against the notion.  Something like SwSh here though?  It's just....wrong.
#152  July 11, 2019, 03:10:34 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Geez... still on about this National Dex issue... this is getting way out of whack. I think Masuda should've reconsidered on how to properly get the message out to the fans without causing any outrage or outcry or total confusion. Sometimes you say things you don't mean to say in a specific way and it just somehow ignited such a fire like this issue with the cut Pokemon and lack of National Dex. I mean, come on, it's just a game but I understand the feelings and comprehension of things differ from person to person.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#153  July 11, 2019, 03:41:52 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Like I said before, they way they've handled Pokemon over the years meant that it would eventually become too big to be sustainable.  There's simply too much content.  Regardless of how anyone feels about it one way or the other, this was always going to happen eventually. Ideally they would've wised up long before now and axed the idea of a national dex years ago before everyone came to assume it was a matter of course.
#154  July 11, 2019, 07:36:33 am
  • For honor!
First of all nobody questions Umezono and I's public sex acts.

But yeah with how tight the development schedules for these games have been getting, something had to give. Now, the only time I could see them locking out species from transfer without significant backlash would be X and Y where they had to redo everything with models...Which means unfortunately for Gamefreak people have been using X and Y as a basis for comparison as to how much they botched sword and shield. It's only gonna get worse once the game is released and god help the internet if data for all poke'mon is found in the games (I'm pretty sure it will be for a variety of reasons such as reference material and multiplayer with other games).

I am still sure gen 8 will eventually have all poke'mon compatible in one of its games. Give it a game or two and all Poke'mon will have been fully adapted to the Switch poke'mon engine so there will not be a reason to not just throw full compatibility in a game as its selling point to "win back the crowd".
Iroha stripped for me
#155  July 11, 2019, 03:51:41 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Meanwhile, members of the National Dex movement have started a campaign to demand that Junichi Masuda be fired over all of this.

While another member took to Twitter to accuse him of rape.

Seems like a perfectly reasonable and rational reaction to your make-believe animal checklist not being as long as you would have preferred.

Okay, I confess that I was actually surprised that the angry fans went there. I understand that the fanbase was pretty crazy even before all of this, but was under the impression that there are a few restraining bolts that is keeping the insanity in check. Now, I think those bolts are long gone.

The angry fans needs to keep their more extreme insanity in check, because actions like these are never okay and it might undermine them in the long run. In fact, it would be beneficial if everyone take some time off from this Pokemon outrage before it consumes their very minds, because I have a feeling that the rage is consuming their sanity and self-control.

I was not in favor of the bad decisions that Game Freak made for this game, just as I am not in favor of the way she is behaving, however, some actions are totally depreciable, with no need to be made.

Note: Despite everything, I believe that this whole situation serves to show to Game Freak that the fanbase is not accepting anything more than they do, so I hope that from now on we can see things that really surprise. This is the first franchise game I'm not excited about playing.

Of course the current climate influences, but I did not see anything that was really attractive, because in one way or another, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are still the most complete versions, because in them you can have all Pokémon, Mega-Evolutions , Z-Moves among several other features that sustain the competitive environment.

I do think that a hostile and toxic fanbase (or even sections of said fanbase) can ruin or put a wet blanket on the enjoyment of any hobby or entertainment. I saw it many times and not just in Pokemon. I guess another reason why I am so calm about all of this is because I have divorced myself from the Pokemon fandom a long time ago for their toxic metagaming (Smogon Univeristy comes to mind), so I am very insulated from the whims and emotions of the greater Pokemon fandom. I prefer to enjoy things at my own pace.

One final note, I believe that even if Game Freak would like to delay Pokemon Sword/Shield's release, Nintendo would not allow it. Why? Because I am guessing that Nintendo needs to have a BIG system seller for the upcoming holiday season at the end of the year. Look at the list and tell me what other big name Switch game is getting released around November or December other than Pokemon.

I skimmed the list and there is not really a big first party game being released at that period of time other than Pokemon. So, unless Nintendo wants to sit this holiday season out (as if), Pokemon is getting released on time, and if it means not including a bunch of old features that no one really uses or eliminating a few Pokemon no one really likes (all relative of course), so be it.

The unfortunate price of business, I guess.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#156  July 11, 2019, 07:40:32 pm
    • Brazil
Geez... still on about this National Dex issue... this is getting way out of whack. I think Masuda should've reconsidered on how to properly get the message out to the fans without causing any outrage or outcry or total confusion. Sometimes you say things you don't mean to say in a specific way and it just somehow ignited such a fire like this issue with the cut Pokemon and lack of National Dex. I mean, come on, it's just a game but I understand the feelings and comprehension of things differ from person to person.
Honestly, if they had just said it will happen later on, everything would be fine.

First of all nobody questions Umezono and I's public sex acts.
First of all, yes, we can, because in the other thread, you promised you'd get naked, but I didn't see a single ass.

But yeah with how tight the development schedules for these games have been getting, something had to give. Now, the only time I could see them locking out species from transfer without significant backlash would be X and Y where they had to redo everything with models...Which means unfortunately for Gamefreak people have been using X and Y as a basis for comparison as to how much they botched sword and shield. It's only gonna get worse once the game is released and god help the internet if data for all poke'mon is found in the games (I'm pretty sure it will be for a variety of reasons such as reference material and multiplayer with other games).

I am still sure gen 8 will eventually have all poke'mon compatible in one of its games. Give it a game or two and all Poke'mon will have been fully adapted to the Switch poke'mon engine so there will not be a reason to not just throw full compatibility in a game as its selling point to "win back the crowd".
Here is the thing, though, its not just about the lack of Pokémon. You see, they said that the reason they're not adding all Pokémon from previous generations is because they were too busy making better animations, but when we look at Sword and Shield, all we see is reused stuff: reused models, reused animations (for both Pokémon and trainers, mind you), reused effects. So what the hell were they doing, then? And why can't all Pokémon be added if they're simply reusing stuff? Hell, when I saw the first trailer for the game that showed gameplay, the first thing that bothered me was the fact that the animations were the same, but then I thought "Hey, I guess with so many Pokémon is tough to reanimate everything" and then we find out that despite reusing everything, they're still not adding all Pokémon and they straight up lied to us saying we were to get better animations.

Then, there is the new mechanics. They removed Mega Evolution, which is a transformation that changes the shape of your Pokémon and gives it new stats and abilities, and added Dynamax, which gives stats and abilities to you Pokémon, but don't change their shape, only their size. Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with that, add a Mega Evolution-like mechanic that can be used on anyone, so you can try it on every Pokémon, fair enough, but then we find out that a mechanic that is very similar to the old removed one, and that is less detailed visually was all we got and in exchange we lost several Pokémon? What were they even doing these years? And even then, Gigantamax is basically that, except it changes the shape of your Pokémon and gives it a Z-Move (or G-Move, as its offically called), so basically, they added a new mechanic that works pretty much like the old one and act as if they're adding something new.

What upsets me isn't the removal of things per say, its the trade-off: we lost several Pokémon and two cool mechanics, and in exchange we get no new animations, nothing visually impressive at all, and mechanics that are way too similar to be treated as new. If they said they wanted to remove the National Dex, but the game had stuff like the animations of Pokémon Battle Revolution, for example (and the announcer, which I loved), I'd have no problem whatsoever, but what we're getting is simply not worth what we're losing.
#157  July 12, 2019, 05:31:52 am
    • Canada
Meanwhile, members of the National Dex movement have started a campaign to demand that Junichi Masuda be fired over all of this.

While another member took to Twitter to accuse him of rape.

Seems like a perfectly reasonable and rational reaction to your make-believe animal checklist not being as long as you would have preferred.

Okay, I confess that I was actually surprised that the angry fans went there. I understand that the fanbase was pretty crazy even before all of this, but was under the impression that there are a few restraining bolts that is keeping the insanity in check. Now, I think those bolts are long gone.

The angry fans needs to keep their more extreme insanity in check, because actions like these are never okay and it might undermine them in the long run. In fact, it would be beneficial if everyone take some time off from this Pokemon outrage before it consumes their very minds, because I have a feeling that the rage is consuming their sanity and self-control.

I was not in favor of the bad decisions that Game Freak made for this game, just as I am not in favor of the way she is behaving, however, some actions are totally depreciable, with no need to be made.

Note: Despite everything, I believe that this whole situation serves to show to Game Freak that the fanbase is not accepting anything more than they do, so I hope that from now on we can see things that really surprise. This is the first franchise game I'm not excited about playing.

Of course the current climate influences, but I did not see anything that was really attractive, because in one way or another, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are still the most complete versions, because in them you can have all Pokémon, Mega-Evolutions , Z-Moves among several other features that sustain the competitive environment.

I do think that a hostile and toxic fanbase (or even sections of said fanbase) can ruin or put a wet blanket on the enjoyment of any hobby or entertainment. I saw it many times and not just in Pokemon. I guess another reason why I am so calm about all of this is because I have divorced myself from the Pokemon fandom a long time ago for their toxic metagaming (Smogon Univeristy comes to mind), so I am very insulated from the whims and emotions of the greater Pokemon fandom. I prefer to enjoy things at my own pace.

One final note, I believe that even if Game Freak would like to delay Pokemon Sword/Shield's release, Nintendo would not allow it. Why? Because I am guessing that Nintendo needs to have a BIG system seller for the upcoming holiday season at the end of the year. Look at the list and tell me what other big name Switch game is getting released around November or December other than Pokemon.

I skimmed the list and there is not really a big first party game being released at that period of time other than Pokemon. So, unless Nintendo wants to sit this holiday season out (as if), Pokemon is getting released on time, and if it means not including a bunch of old features that no one really uses or eliminating a few Pokemon no one really likes (all relative of course), so be it.

The unfortunate price of business, I guess.

I've been sitting back and rather enjoying this dumpster fire of a thread. Full disclosure, I have no personal investment in the poke-mans. I was too old for it back when it was released when I was like 14-ish.

I have to say though, that this post is probably tho most realistic and accurate post in the whole damn thread. Of course Nintendo is going to push through the release for the holiday, and no amount of bitching from a bunch of angry 20-30 somethings is going to stop them from releasing their flagship children's toy for Christmas.

Now I hate to break this to a lot of you super pissed of fanboys buuuuut....

....you aren't the target audience anymore. womp womp. Mommy and Daddy are, when they buy the pokemons for little jimmy this december.

I say as if ANY of you aren't going to buy this game on day 1.
#158  July 12, 2019, 06:18:11 am
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
New trailer in Japan

Lapras, Mawile, the Mareanie and Ferroseed lines are confirmed to be in Galar. Geez, stall is gonna get a lot more hate from me that's for sure.
#159  July 12, 2019, 09:34:54 am
  • For honor!
Your hate only makes it all the more satisfying for us stall players to watch your pets struggle uselessly as they wither and die. Now if they confirm Skarmory, Cresselia, and the Chansey line I'll...still be in no hurry to get these games but I'll at least smile.
Iroha stripped for me
#160  July 12, 2019, 02:48:13 pm
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Your hate only makes it all the more satisfying for us stall players to watch your pets struggle uselessly as they wither and die.
You just got yourself a spot on my invisible list of blacklisted players.