YesNoOk

POTS Kotaro custom (Ned trying...) (Read 3926 times)

Started by Nedflandeurse, March 06, 2021, 02:43:57 PM
Share this topic:
POTS Kotaro custom (Ned trying...)
#1  March 06, 2021, 02:43:57 PM
  • SlowSpriter. Even slower and limited coding skills
  • A.K.A. NED
First of all, I'm a spriter, not much into coding.
But sometime getting a bit "jaded", I decided to try something in POTS style. But definitely not the usual character that anyone would take on.
I'm slow, very slow, I cannot code effectively, but have help of great people in the mugen community.

So let me introduce you one of my WIPS:
KOTARO from Yatagarasu in POTS like style (my base is the great Jmorphman's Benimaru)

This Kotaro is not acurate to anything.
-Not exactly the rules of gameplay of usual POTS characters (she can cancel and juggle a bit more with some moves)
-Not acurate to Yatagarasu gameplay (a bit too much cancels and rules there)
-Not exactly the design she have in Yatagarasu
-Same base of moves as Yatagarasu, but with some new moves as well.

I did some custom portrait to start. Heavily based on the god Styleos artwork.
As you can see She have now a different haircut. different body proportions etc.
I love Styleos sprites on her, but I didn't liked the kiddish style, so I gave her a young woman body.

I needed a protrait to match my more "mature" vision of her.

Ingame, I also slighly scalled down her head to match other CVS girls Mai, Yuri, Chun Li
Some captures.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Again, I'm not like high quality creators here.
I'm slow, more like an artist. I have very small time to code. And I usually get stucked with one special move for several months.

So, don't expect the release for soon.
But with the help and support of great people here, I might complete my first decent character.

Custom POTS-like Kotaro WIP :
https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/pots-kotaro-custom-ned-trying--192619.0.html And other fighting beauties in mind...
Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:55:45 PM by Nedflandeurse
Re: POTS Kotaro custom (Ned trying...)
#2  March 06, 2021, 05:39:32 PM
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
#3  March 06, 2021, 08:47:27 PM
I love the sprites from the game and I hope more of the cast gets POTS versions someday.

Just some tips while I would just datamine the game if you dont feel like doing that just make sure you have the basics right.
Overall good hitboxes, decent moveset and framedata etc.
This will go a long way making the char feel smooth to play.

Good luck to you.
#4  March 06, 2021, 09:47:09 PM
  • A.K.A. NED
This is nice here have some reference https://wiki.gbl.gg/w/Yatagarasu/Kotaro

Thanks! Actually I already used it a lot to make the hitboxes and understand how certain moves works.
Even if again, I took a lot of liberty in how I interprete Kotaro.

I love the sprites from the game and I hope more of the cast gets POTS versions someday.

Just some tips while I would just datamine the game if you dont feel like doing that just make sure you have the basics right.
Overall good hitboxes, decent moveset and framedata etc.
This will go a long way making the char feel smooth to play.

Good luck to you.

Yes, Styleos did awesome work by spriting them all.
As a reminder he's the one who sprited characters like KOF Angel...

Don't worry. I'm pretty good for animating, working with frame data, hitboxes etc.
What is hard for me is advanced coding.
Variables, gameplay system, cancel rules etc. I can take several months for coding one special move.

Right now, my problem is her special jump, because it uses specific conditions to allow cheap gameplay.
Right now, I still have no idea how to fix this move I started around November...
I ask for help there https://mugenguild.com/forum/msg.2502802

https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/pots-kotaro-custom-ned-trying--192619.0.html And other fighting beauties in mind...
#5  March 07, 2021, 12:56:13 AM
    • USA
I already made a CvS2 Kotaro months ago... (unreleased)... she's easy for the most part to make. I think the thing you may struggle with is the lack of attacks and the lack of variety when it comes to supers. I had custom sprites made for my Kotaro so she has more stuff like medium kicks, extra special, supers, and more intros.
#6  March 07, 2021, 09:29:37 AM
  • A.K.A. NED
I already made a CvS2 Kotaro months ago... (unreleased)... she's easy for the most part to make. I think the thing you may struggle with is the lack of attacks and the lack of variety when it comes to supers. I had custom sprites made for my Kotaro so she has more stuff like medium kicks, extra special, supers, and more intros.

Oh! Nice!
I would be curious to see what you have done for her to adapt her gameplay, new moves etc.

#7  March 08, 2021, 01:41:56 AM
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Merci beaucoup pour c'est tres jolie sprites :)!!

Thanks a lot for these awesome sprites!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#8  March 08, 2021, 01:49:16 AM
    • Brazil
prealted skirts  :smitten:

man... sure this is a great project, just keep doing something... when you can...
yatagarasu is amazing.

DS

#9  March 08, 2021, 03:00:23 AM
    • Brazil
    • deathscythemugen.neocities.org/
Nice to see you adventuring yourself like that! Needless to say, the sprites look gorgeous :smitten:
And don't worry about all of that, take your time, coding is not as hard as it looks!
#10  March 08, 2021, 08:04:58 PM
  • A.K.A. NED
Merci beaucoup pour c'est tres jolie sprites :)!!

Thanks a lot for these awesome sprites!

Haha, merci ! :)
Most of them are just small edits, but I'm also making custom animations.
Styleos base is a so high quality work! A pleasure to use his base!

prealted skirts  :smitten:

man... sure this is a great project, just keep doing something... when you can...
yatagarasu is amazing.

Yes ! Yatagarasu is great!
Also, I'll be sad the day censorship+Twitter makes all fighting game girls not wearing skirts anymore ^^;
Many many shorts now... or shorts under skirts...

Nice to see you adventuring yourself like that! Needless to say, the sprites look gorgeous :smitten:
And don't worry about all of that, take your time, coding is not as hard as it looks!

Yes ! And thanks.
Actually coding regular characters with Mugen is not a problem.
I did it many times as characters experiments from 2000 to nearly 2009/2010. I have pretty good coding bases.

But trying something with an existing system (like POTS) is something absolutely too hard for me to handle.
I cannot understand many advanced coding stuff. Like why the move cancel works sometimes and sometimes not.
This move. I have absolutely NO idea how this can be fixed.
https://mugenguild.com/forum/msg.2502802

To all.
Thanks for the support.
again, I liked Kotaro's design and Styleos's sprites quality.
I felt a bit frustrated such a great designed character cannot fight with 6 buttons against other similar characters.
Also, I knew no one would be so interested into converting her.

Another possible project would be a custom Kisarah. With the help of the great Dampir! :)
Another characrer not many ppl have interest in. And yes, @Mastertkof another skirt charcter ;)

Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 08:08:10 PM by Nedflandeurse