YesNoOk

mini/classic consoles and mods (Read 25733 times)

Started by Memo, June 25, 2019, 11:09:30 am
Share this topic:
mini/classic consoles and mods
#1  June 25, 2019, 11:09:30 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Hey guys whats up, so i bought a PlayStation classic right...its crap right out the box and i
knew it would be so i tried a couple of the hacks.

I tried bleemsync and autobleem from a usb in
port 2, and it was cool as hell.  Eventually i got the
otg update and then i had my usb in the back to
free up port 2.

I still wasn't happy with it because it still had all the
stock games in my game list and i wanted a better
option.  Did some research and found a way to
replace all 20 internal games AND update the pcsx
emulator core.

So now i have an awesome ps classic with my own
personal pick of the best 20 psx games and since i
updated the emulator i can access the emu menu
too all without using a usb drive. I will post my
Game list and links to the hacksI did so one of
you can try it as well.

Anybody here buy one, and do you use mods?
Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:23:46 am by Memo
Re: Tell me about your ps classic mods
#2  June 25, 2019, 01:46:43 pm
    • Turkey
I do not have ps one classic but i have a modded ps3.
#3  June 25, 2019, 02:00:57 pm
You bought a PS classic just to mod it? That seems rather pointless, considering that its has outdated hardware and you could buy much better single board PCs with similar prices. You're already willing to tinker it with it, so why not just go all the way with a raspberry pi?
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#4  June 25, 2019, 07:13:27 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
You bought a PS classic just to mod it? That seems rather pointless, considering that its has outdated hardware and you could buy much better single board PCs with similar prices. You're already willing to tinker it with it, so why not just go all the way with a raspberry pi?

Im definitely getting the new pi 4 GB ram version, the ps classic isnt too bad once
you hack it lol. Just updating the internal stock emulator to the one in the latest
retroarch for ps classic makes a big difference in performance.

For $30 you cant beat it and it comes with 2 controllers.
#5  June 30, 2019, 07:06:31 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
This is the tut i followed to replace the internal games (tip, you dont need to rename everything by serial numbers)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/howto-replace-pal-tekken-3-with-ntsc-on-psclassic.531528/

And this one for replacing the stock emu,follow it to the T! and if your games dont launch you need to make sure
your pcsx file has the proper read write permissions!
https://gbatemp.net/threads/howto-update-stock-emulator-in-psclassic.531600/

This one explains how to set up the emu settings for the best experience
https://www.reddit.com/r/PlaystationClassic/comments/ac0jc3/a_better_mgs_experience/

Its all fairly easy to do, ive never used these tools before and did it no problem.

and my personal game list on my ps classic, i fit 24 games on the lil guy lol

01 Final Fantasy 7
02 Gran Turismo 2
03 Metal Gear Solid
04 Tekken 3
05 Crash Bandicoot 2
06 Brave Fencer Musashi
07 Tomba!
08 Street Fighter Alpha 3
09 Crash Team Racing
10 Mega Man Legends
11 Dino Crisis 2
12 Ridge Racer R4
13 Spyro Year of the Dragon
14 Breath of Fire 4
15 Castlevania SOTN
16 Tenchu Stealth Assasins
17 Street Fighter 2 Collection
18 Bloody Roar 2
19 Jet Moto
20 Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
21 MediEvil 2
22 Soul of the Samurai
23 Colin McRae Rally 2.0
24 Cool Boarders 3
#6  June 30, 2019, 08:25:16 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
This mini-console fad makes me scratch my head. I mean sure, if you want them as a collector's item that's fine, but as top sets they're overpriced and terrible right from the box. You'd be better off buying a retropie or even just an android tv box and a controller. At least that way you'd have fucking analogue sticks (wtf Sony?).
#7  June 30, 2019, 09:00:45 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
This mini-console fad makes me scratch my head. I mean sure, if you want them as a collector's item that's fine, but as top sets they're overpriced and terrible right from the box. You'd be better off buying a retropie or even just an android tv box and a controller. At least that way you'd have fucking analogue sticks (wtf Sony?).

They go for $30 on amazon, and with a $20 8bitdo wireless adapter
you can use your DS4 or xbox 1 s controllers analog.
Its not true analog it emulates the dpad instead but it will be possible
by updating the controller plugin

lui

#8  June 30, 2019, 10:58:34 pm
    • USA
I bought it, modded it, and im happy with it

Yes yes yes theres better options on pc, raspberry, yadaydayda but honestly thats not the reason i bought it
I just want nice, cool, simple way i can play my ps1 games as soon as i boot up the system since i use my gaming laptop for everything else.

Its a nice novelty that i appreciate alot with someone that doesnt have too much time on their hands and the presentation is nice.

Bought an adapter too to use dualshock conttollers with too.
#9  June 30, 2019, 11:12:20 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA

and yet here I am with 7 so far, 8th will come in September when the Genesis one comes out.

I have:
- NES Classic
- Famicom Mini
- Shonen Jump Famicom Mini
- SNES Classic
- Super Famicom Mini
- PS1 Classic
- Atari Flashback 8 Gold

FWIW they do remove some stuff that's on my lists of games to buy, though in the case of the PS1, I still bought Tekken 3 anyway because lol PAL port on it for no good reason
#10  July 01, 2019, 12:29:32 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Do you keep them in their boxes or are they gangbanging your tv's HDMI ports?
#11  July 01, 2019, 12:57:40 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
I more or less use one between them. My Switch, Wii U and PS4 also need those slots (among what's not in a dresser in the next room)
#12  July 01, 2019, 04:32:13 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
What, the genesis mini is not out yet ? I am pretty sure I saw it in ym royal radioshack yesterday, I even took a picture of it because I am wondering if it's controllers work with pc too and wanted to research that.
#13  July 01, 2019, 06:33:35 pm
BTW you don't even need to buy a single board PC. Just grab an old Core 2 Duo small form factor PC for like 10$ and throw a GTX 750 TI (50$) in it. Congrats, you just got yourself a machine that can play emulators from all of these consoles:
PS1
PS2
Wii/Gamecube
Dreamcast
PSP
3DS
MAME
and you know what the best thing about it is? you barely paid 70$ for it. If you have the money for it, you can build yourself an AMD 2400g APU PC for 300$ and you can play Wii U and Switch emulators (although the latter is still under development).

I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#14  July 01, 2019, 08:09:08 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
What, the genesis mini is not out yet ? I am pretty sure I saw it in ym royal radioshack yesterday, I even took a picture of it because I am wondering if it's controllers work with pc too and wanted to research that.

The official one releases in November

BTW you don't even need to buy a single board PC. Just grab an old Core 2 Duo small form factor PC for like 10$ and throw a GTX 750 TI (50$) in it. Congrats, you just got yourself a machine that can play emulators from all of these consoles:
PS1
PS2
Wii/Gamecube
Dreamcast
PSP
3DS
MAME
and you know what the best thing about it is? you barely paid 70$ for it. If you have the money for it, you can build yourself an AMD 2400g APU PC for 300$ and you can play Wii U and Switch emulators (although the latter is still under development).

I have all the emulators in my laptop but its nice to have
a little box thats specifically made for ps roms loaded with
my favs, and all my games run perfect 60 fps.

Plus there isnt a ps1 case available for retropie that looks
anything like sonys official product.
And its nice to have the reset and open buttons.

lui

#15  July 03, 2019, 08:04:05 am
    • USA
PS1
PS2
Wii/Gamecube
Dreamcast
PSP
3DS
MAME

you're missing the point in why people buy these in the first place

the point is having a box specifically for it that even the average joe can just buy, boot up with no fuss.

i have a pretty capable gaming laptop and built myself a decent PC with an AMD chipset and Radeon Graphics Card, but i dont use it whatsoever for most emulators because i honestly dont feel like bothering with emulator tweaking for 4k settings or whatever the fuck on a case by case basis. It's tedious and I'd rather use my PC to play PC games.

i wanted something i can just buy that looks nice, has a decent setup and can play without worrying about anything else. the modding took about 15 mins and thats that.

pc setups are nice for individual users who like tweaking stuff but the entire reason why something like the snes classic was so succesful is that people who aren't even that tech savy can just buy it and play and thats it.

You probably saw a shitty Atgames console that's basically the bootleggiest official licensed product SEGA could have ever licensed out.

Don't get those. Those are bad.
Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 08:11:31 am by lui
#16  July 03, 2019, 04:52:10 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico

You probably saw a shitty Atgames console that's basically the bootleggiest official licensed product SEGA could have ever licensed out.

thanks, I will wait for the real thing just in case; funny thing, I am mostly interested in the controllers, not so much the console. that amde me took a look at the psclassic and I found out you can use those in the pc too. Makes it more affordable considering how cheap the psc has become.
#17  July 03, 2019, 07:37:09 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com

thanks, I will wait for the real thing just in case; funny thing, I am mostly interested in the controllers, not so much the console. that amde me took a look at the psclassic and I found out you can use those in the pc too. Makes it more affordable considering how cheap the psc has become.

You can buy the controllers now, the genesis is only coming with the 3 button
controller. But if you need the 6 button arcade pad they sell them seperate

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=genesis+retrobit+controller&sprefix=genesis+retrobit&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_16

lui

#18  July 03, 2019, 08:18:10 pm
    • USA
Retrobit is decent, but i HIGHLY reccomend either getting the 8bitdo m30 2.4 ghz controller which is compatible with the Genesis natively by default or the Bluetooth m30 which is also compatible with most major consoles and pc

The price is good, comes in the 6,button variant and the quality is extremely well made
#19  July 04, 2019, 11:26:46 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com

lui

Re: mini/classic consoles and mods
#20  July 05, 2019, 09:30:10 am
    • USA
Japanese version is the only one with Castlevania? That makes it the only version to get obviously