YesNoOk

The Fight of the Century (Read 28121 times)

Started by Uno, April 26, 2015, 08:31:14 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Who's your bet?

Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
7 (38.9%)
Manny Pacquiao
11 (61.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: April 30, 2015, 08:31:14 pm

lui

Re: The Fight of the Century
#61  May 03, 2015, 09:19:19 am
    • USA
the whole time i was screaming "CMON PACMAN SHOW MAYWEATHER HOW US FILIPINOS GET WHEN WE GET ANGRRYYYY" but like he didn't which made my filipino pride sad :(
#62  May 03, 2015, 09:25:37 am
  • all is love in fair and war
all he did was non followed jabs, counter punches, many forms of hugging, and lots of gimmicks, he clearly fight for money and record, probably hoping oneday in distant future next generation would have forgotten how horribly boring his fights were, and remembered him as the greatest boxer ever & a good friend of Justin Bieber.
#63  May 03, 2015, 10:48:16 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
What a highly credited criticism. Boxing must be dead, which is why it made a billion dollars off of one fight.

Boxing is certainly not dead in the level of marketing cause there are plenty of sponsors that now how to sell their boxers pretty well but sport wise, boxing is going through difficult and barren times. It doesnt have anything to do with this fight, Mayweather did what he gonna do to win, he felt the strength of Manny in some rounds and had to back up playing for the points, it is Floyd we talking about.

Return to the boxing going through difficult times, there is not enough rising stars on boxing for people, besides the boxing experts among other followers, to keep the interest or some extremely dominant guys that receive no opposition and have to fight against pretty mediocre boxers to stay in form. Also, cause there are plenty of sponsors, fighters are perhaps, way too comfortable just fighting whatever and earning money instead of going through the strong boxers unlike the old times.

It can be said that all sports are like that nowadays, but no boxer should be allowed to control the fights and when they should be done the way Floyd does it no matter what.
Chilling
#64  May 03, 2015, 11:24:52 am
all he did was non followed jabs, counter punches, many forms of hugging, and lots of gimmicks, he clearly fight for money and record, probably hoping oneday in distant future next generation would have forgotten how horribly boring his fights were, and remembered him as the greatest boxer ever & a good friend of Justin Bieber.

i fucking lol'ed at justin kimmel.

Bea

#65  May 03, 2015, 01:32:09 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
He got in 140 shots while Pacman got in 80. Floyd controlled most of the rounds he was in, Pacman clearly had no idea what to do with Floyd. Just look at Pac's face by the end of the match in comparison to Floyd's. This wasn't even close, Floyd won by A LOT.

I don't even remember he throwing in that many punches.
If you told me that Money hugged Pac 140 times, I would believe it. ;P

In the end, in order to win this one, Pac had to at least knock Mayweather down once, which he failed to do. Mayweather kept on landing weak, ineffective blows when he was out of the rope, because he was smart and knew that would be enough to win. He fought smarter than Pacquio.
But the fight delivered as a show. Boxing is great at that and will keep on being for a long, long time.
Otherwise this fight wouldn't have gathered so much interest and generated so much revenue.

Let the next fight of the century come.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:43:06 pm by Bea
#66  May 03, 2015, 04:05:44 pm
this fight won't age well, it won't worth any re-run time on TV. Manny should have put more power on his punches to bleed mayweather nose or something, probably it could turn the tide of the fight when Mayweather got his pretty face ruined in early round.
#67  May 03, 2015, 05:40:26 pm
  • Such a good day for chars.
    • USA
    • Waste-Poetry@hotmail.com
It honestly really wasn't a good fight in general. Pacman was going to have to catch Floyd slipping in order to really do anything. Problem is, you're never going to catch him slipping, so pacman clearly couldn't fight the way he usually does. It just wasn't a very exciting fight. Everytime Pacman flurried mayweather, it'd entice some reaction of excitement, followed by disappointment when I realized that literally NONE of those punches did anything. That was like, the whole fight. Pacman attempting to catch Floyd with a decent punch, MAYBE getting like, one or two good hits on him, while Floyd slowly chipped away at Pac-man. Floyd's a mega douche, but he clearly knew what he was doing, way more than pac-man did.

At least we can say that pac-man lost, not that he got the shit beat out of him. It even took a little while for Floyd to get REALLY comfortable. But, yeah, by the last two rounds he was pretty much toying with him. Oh well. Least I still have the Avengers to look forward to.

...And honestly, I prefer UFC, anyway. Probably not gonna get another boxing PPV after this one.
You either quit a decent creator, or stay long enough to become Kung Fu Man.
Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 05:43:31 pm by Dragon-Poetry
#68  May 03, 2015, 06:02:49 pm
there's no worth boxing ppv now, all the good ones are retired and heavy weight fights are boring as hell. so maybe 3 or so years before we'll see something worth watching again. walters and cotto is the only boxers i'm interested right now especially now that cotto improved alot.
Re: The Hype of the Century
#69  May 03, 2015, 07:24:27 pm
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
Pretty much
#70  May 03, 2015, 07:26:57 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#71  May 03, 2015, 07:46:37 pm
lol i remember a match back in k1 where somebody did a german suplex in a kick boxing match.

Uno

#72  May 04, 2015, 10:19:47 am
  • kuruchutchut
    • Philippines
    • www.facebook.com/ronel.alinea
#73  May 04, 2015, 11:31:36 am
#74  May 04, 2015, 02:24:33 pm
http://www.theladbible.com/articles/do-these-pictures-prove-that-the-mayweather-vs-pacquiao-fight-was-fixed

Not really; only mistake was that they sat in the wrong corners (heh). Names and scores weren't improperly manipulated.

Manny said he let up in the last two rounds because he thought he had the fight won (adding that Floyd didn't do anything, a popular sentiment), surprisingly careless mistake. Lines up with Floyd unanimously winning the last two rounds.

Listen, boxing isn't exactly full of integrity (Don King anyone) and I even told myself "if it's too close I wouldn't rule out a fix," but this one was pretty decisive. Looking "more interesting" isn't a statistic that determines the outcome of any match, at least in a properly recorded bout anyway.
#75  May 04, 2015, 02:30:29 pm
In other words, someone who keeps running away is considered as "in control" of the match, and number crunching is more important than the actual effect of a punch.
Boxing.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#76  May 04, 2015, 02:36:02 pm
Well, they do call it the 'sweet science' after all.

I don't like it either but that's how it works. I miss when the Heavyweight division was a big thing, too bad there aren't any big names to showcase boxing at it's best.
#77  May 04, 2015, 03:44:41 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
In other words, someone who keeps running away is considered as "in control" of the match, and number crunching is more important than the actual effect of a punch.
Boxing.
its like the dragon guy said, if you want two dudes flailing at eachother with no rhyme or reason its better to just check out a fight comp on worldstar. boxing is a sport and a competition with rules and regulations, not a street fight.

mayweather was in control of the match cause he was defensive, and manny tired himself out without making any real effect. i hate floyd but yeah
#78  May 04, 2015, 04:06:12 pm
its like the dragon guy said, if you want two dudes flailing at eachother with no rhyme or reason its better to just check out a fight comp on worldstar. boxing is a sport and a competition with rules and regulations, not a street fight.
Who said they wanted two dudes flailing at each other with no rhyme or reason or a street fight
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.

Bea

#79  May 04, 2015, 04:55:20 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
I paid the PPV to watch a boxing match, not a hug fest.
Mayweather followed the easiest path to win this bout, and that made the fight a major bore.

Pacquio seemed to lack reach and a bit of fire to get in and put Mayweather down. I will be waiting for the next fight of the century, because this one was anything but the fight of the century they were trying to sell.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.

Uno

#80  May 04, 2015, 04:58:43 pm
  • kuruchutchut
    • Philippines
    • www.facebook.com/ronel.alinea
May 2, 2015 - International Hug Day :)