Started by Magma MK-II, December 06, 2018, 01:30:24 pm
Share this topic:
Re: KoF XV
#641  March 11, 2021, 08:07:23 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
The only complaint I have is that they're not even trying to hide the bad parts anymore.

In XIV's trailers you'd always see: "Work is still in progress." or smth to give people hope.
Now, it's "Here you go and don't expect anything better"
Shatter all expectations, YEP.

IT'S BEEN 5 YEARS!!!
I really hoped for an improvement for XV, but SNK's 3D jinx is never going to fade away I guess.
#642  March 11, 2021, 08:13:20 pm
  • SNK is life
So they basically recycled most of XIV's motions and slapped on a prettier face with some better physics.
So they basically fixed the main problem with XIV. Well, that, and also rollback.

It's a very competent an serviceable game with a large roster that simply looked bad and put people off. Now it will look good and maybe audiences will have an easier time getting into it.

I don't exactly see what's rubbing you the wrong way, the animations are ok, if it isn't broken don't fix it, amirite?
#643  March 11, 2021, 08:25:42 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I really liked SNK's 2D.
Sure, now it seems harder for them to make something looking good. (models and animation)
(I will not talk about gameplay here, because it was still very good in XIV)

Sure, there is a lot of improvement, but the way they tell us "shatter all expectations" etc.
And the fact SNK in most of our minds means quality at all levels, visual, style and gameplay + music etc.

Now, the game looks pretty good! defininitely, but not what I would expect from SNK.
SNK was craziness. This game is pretty OK.

Oh, one good thing they did about Yuri, beside of making her slighly more "fit" is the ball/orb of her haircut.
In the previous game, it seemed to be too small and too high on her skull. Now, it's good size and good position.
But it's just details.
#644  March 11, 2021, 08:44:18 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I don't think theres anything wrong with being annoyed that there is literally no innovation. Why should we be happy with a reskin of the last game being sold for probably 60 to 70 dollars
#645  March 11, 2021, 10:14:20 pm
  • SNK is life
Hardly a "re-skin" when they've ported their previous game to a new engine, and in the process remodelling all the characters, textures, NETCODE, adding new artwork, new music, new effects, new game mechanics and new story. The KOF franchise is all about iteration, that's how we've come to have 15 games with up to 60+ characters.

I'm super on board with how the game looks now, and I'll be buying it day one.
Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 10:21:24 pm by walt
#646  March 11, 2021, 10:44:24 pm
i understand both sides but i do wish they added new moves at least a new unique normals or specials just like back in the day.
#647  March 11, 2021, 10:54:23 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
i understand both sides but i do wish they added new moves at least a new unique normals or specials just like back in the day.

^^
THIS!

Good point is that the graphic improvement it's sharp. Yuri details on her design is WAY better than XIV.
The visual effects (Hit sparks, FX) are better from the previous trailers. And that Pao Pao Cafe stage (that is clearly the same from FF3) looks amazing.

Bad point is that yeah, about skills is indeed copy paste from KOF XIV. Kyo and Iori got very few changes, specially on their Climax moves.
#648  March 11, 2021, 11:03:45 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Hardly a "re-skin" when they've ported their previous game to a new engine, and in the process remodelling all the characters, textures, NETCODE, adding new artwork, new music, new effects, new game mechanics and new story. The KOF franchise is all about iteration, that's how we've come to have 15 games with up to 60+ characters.

I'm super on board with how the game looks now, and I'll be buying it day one.

Thats the point- the game is looking less of a sequel and moreso a "port," but charged at the price of an entirely new game. Between SF4 and SF5 we didn't just get "port" level changes to existing characters, we got entire overhauls (or significant updates) not just in graphics but in the core gameplay and identities of the characters. There's no discounting all the hard work that goes into creating new content like music, story and artwork. But the question is whether this has grown stagnant and uninspired on a gameplay level, and for me it really seems to be trending in that direction. I agree that the game LOOKS better, but if the game just needed to look better for me to judge it as a worthy entry in the series or even just worthy as a sequel/update then a lot of mediocre games would be getting rave reviews. I hope to be proven wrong by new mechanics or something, but theres only so much you can slap on top of the characters themselves in a fighting game. I wanted new moves or something, maybe even some gameplay entirely like in the case of Seth in the SF series. Its becoming less "iteration" and more "copy paste" this many games into the series.
Pao Pao Cafe cameos
#649  March 11, 2021, 11:09:15 pm
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA
    • www.webs.com/videoman190

#650  March 11, 2021, 11:16:24 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Thats the point- the game is looking less of a sequel and moreso a "port," but charged at the price of an entirely new game. Between SF4 and SF5 we didn't just get "port" level changes to existing characters, we got entire overhauls (or significant updates) not just in graphics but in the core gameplay and identities of the characters. There's no discounting all the hard work that goes into creating new content like music, story and artwork. But the question is whether this has grown stagnant and uninspired on a gameplay level, and for me it really seems to be trending in that direction. I agree that the game LOOKS better, but if the game just needed to look better for me to judge it as a worthy entry in the series or even just worthy as a sequel/update then a lot of mediocre games would be getting rave reviews. I hope to be proven wrong by new mechanics or something, but theres only so much you can slap on top of the characters themselves in a fighting game. I wanted new moves or something, maybe even some gameplay entirely like in the case of Seth in the SF series. Its becoming less "iteration" and more "copy paste" this many games into the series.

I think it's gonna be like that for a long time. SNK needs to do something new with its core gameplay, fundamentals and a shift in its target market.

If only this played more like KOF:MIRA I would buy this as its gameplay is friendly for everyone. I still remember bringing KOF:MIRA at the office and everyone loved it even the Tekken purists and I live in Tekken country (now its Mobile Legends country).
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#651  March 11, 2021, 11:18:45 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Yes, some reference to World Heroes of ADK.
Nearly impossible I think, but it gives me small hopes to see Kisarah joining the game. ^^

So, neither Bob or Richard have chances to join the main roster.
Unless they make some interactive stage and remove the character if t's a player.
#652  March 11, 2021, 11:39:48 pm
  • SNK is life
If only this played more like KOF:MIRA I would buy this as its gameplay is friendly for everyone. I still remember bringing KOF:MIRA at the office and everyone loved it even the Tekken purists and I live in Tekken country (now its Mobile Legends country).
As much as I like KOF MI, I understand it would be impossible to move in that weird Tekken dial-a-combo gameplay direction. Moreover, KOF XIV has easy mode combos, so that should be covered?

#653  March 11, 2021, 11:57:05 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
As much as I like KOF MI, I understand it would be impossible to move in that weird Tekken dial-a-combo gameplay direction. Moreover, KOF XIV has easy mode combos, so that should be covered?

Honestly, I haven't bought KOF14. :sweatdrop:

Have they made jump in combo noob friendly?
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#654  March 11, 2021, 11:58:16 pm
  • SNK is life
#655  March 12, 2021, 12:00:13 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
We're nearing the end of the first quarter of 2021 and we only have:
  • 2 full teams being teased.
  • Only 1 new(?) character.
  • Actual 2017-ish graphics and effects
  • Lackluster trailers
  • No mention of release date

Chizuru's appearance made me happy for like a week and it quickly wore off.
After realizing how slow, tedious and underwhelming a lot of the content has been so far, my disappointment is immeasurable.

They had 5 years to work on it, but it looks like the work of 2 or maybe 3 years tops.
That's over 700 days being wasted.

If that's their capacity and limitation, then they should just stop digging their own graves since the gaming industry evolves rather quickly.
I know they're not Capcom, Bamco or even NetherRealm, but Jesus at least look as if it's a 2021 game not 2017.

What happened to Unreal Engine 4?
#656  March 12, 2021, 12:31:11 am
  • SNK is life
I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's far from the catastrophe you make it to be.
#657  March 12, 2021, 12:41:39 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's far from the catastrophe you make it to be.

I'm just sad to see such a delightful franchise becoming more of a joke to the fighting game community.

I recently saw MainManSWE's reaction towards one of the teasers and his reaction was so demeaning that it made me mad how much KOF has become a meme at this point.
XV was going to be such a great chance for SNK to turn themselves around, but so far I'm not too impressed.

I'll just have to wait and see the final results.
#658  March 12, 2021, 12:49:54 am
I don't understand the "it's 2021 not 2017". 4 years aren't a big deal, the technology didn't make such a massive leap forward that you'd be able to tell from graphics unless 2021 means you were somehow expecting next gen tech. A game with SamSho's visual tech, middle-of-the-generation tech, is completely fine, you don't need a game that is this year's absolute latest top tech (it's 2021 sure but it's only March, man).

The problem with SNK is that they've never been able to do any proper marketing to save their lives. Starting with an opener like "shatter all expectations", "The King of Fighters 15 will be a 'supreme masterpiece' for the series", then doing 2 months of weekly videos that show the exact same game that we've seen a few years ago "except now we learned to make pretty 3D", please tell whoever came up with that strategy to stop doing any marketing already. Just wait 3 months and make one video showing "hey look, we learned how to make 3D, here's a comparison with XIV for all these characters at once, see the progress we've made" instead of trying to stir up a weekly hype with videos showing in great details how you changed nothing at all.
One reveal for the Sacred Treasures (revealing new graphics, new outfits, new character, new effects, and a legendary team-up), then a couple months later a bunch of characters at once showing the graphic evolution for everyone (no need to showcase everyone's entire moveset if it's exactly the same as 14), that would be how to build the hype. The weekly trickle of showing absolutely no change, one character at a time, is just hammering that nothing changed, it's the opposite of building hype.

This is not KoF becoming "more of a joke" in the gaming community, this is just not happening. I don't know how long you've been following them but they've never been able to properly market their flagship game, ever. Did you even see how it went when they revealed 14, when the entire gaming community absolutely trashed the graphic style to hell and back ? This is not new.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 01:07:32 am by Byakko
#659  March 12, 2021, 01:13:12 am
  • SNK is life
I recently saw MainManSWE's reaction towards one of the teasers and his reaction was so demeaning that it made me mad how much KOF has become a meme at this point.

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and every game has its faults.

Street Fighter 5 being one of the best selling games from the past years hasn't redeemed it of having shitty netcode, even if it it's actual rollback (I have a lengthy list of things why I haven't supported this game since day 1). Guity Gear even having the best looking graphics is still relatively obscure and not widely played because many consider it daunting to get into. KOF XIII albeit being the best thing SNK has put out in years was criticized for using Hi-Res pixel art and "being too anime". And MVCI having the hottest property, Marvel Superheroes at their freaking MCU Historical peak, sold peanuts and it's shunned by mostly everyone because it didn't include the X-Men.

But a Tekken Youtuber being your thermometer to base what you feel about a different type of fighting game (yeah, 3D Fighters like Tekken, DOA, Virtua are their own thing) even when he confesses he doesn't even know the lore or characters, well, I'm not sure it's a great idea.

Let's face it, Fighting Games are sort of a dying genre, or considerably small when compared to other genres selling in the millions, whether it's Sports Games, or Shooters, or the freaking single player open world graphics ARMS RACE, Fighting games actually require an investment of your time to be enjoyable at all because they're meant to be competitive.

A friend of mine applied to get into SNK, they're basically just offering entry level and intern positions. They never truly recovered from the bankruptcy thing, and having their games be considered second class products by Sony and forcing them to sell them in packages of 2, we gotta face it, they're far from Triple A devs and are actually closer to Indie Devs. While Capcom is dipping their toes in Face Scanning and paying off actors to use their likeness, and outsourcing 3D models (which results in inconsistent designs in SF5, which rubs me the wrong way, mind you) and have several teams holding up their financials pumping out new Resident Evil and Monster Hunter and Megaman games, all SNK has is in-house development and licensing their IP for free to play mobile games.

My expectations are not shattered, they're adjusted. I understand what's going on with them, and I know what to expect. I know their products may not be on par with Triple A Devs like Capcom and Bandai Namco, but at least they're still around, to whatever financial viability they can be. And that's OK for me. The games still play well, the lore continues to move forward, and the long time fans from all over the world are expecting the new installment to devour the experience, the lore, the storytelling, the kick ass soundtrack.

Maybe it has become a niche thing *shrugs*
#660  March 12, 2021, 02:20:44 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
I don't understand the "it's 2021 not 2017". 4 years aren't a big deal, the technology didn't make such a massive leap forward that you'd be able to tell from graphics unless 2021 means you were somehow expecting next gen tech. A game with SamSho's visual tech, middle-of-the-generation tech, is completely fine, you don't need a game that is this year's absolute latest top tech (it's 2021 sure but it's only March, man).

The problem with SNK is that they've never been able to do any proper marketing to save their lives. Starting with an opener like "shatter all expectations", "The King of Fighters 15 will be a 'supreme masterpiece' for the series", then doing 2 months of weekly videos that show the exact same game that we've seen a few years ago "except now we learned to make pretty 3D", please tell whoever came up with that strategy to stop doing any marketing already. Just wait 3 months and make one video showing "hey look, we learned how to make 3D, here's a comparison with XIV for all these characters at once, see the progress we've made" instead of trying to stir up a weekly hype with videos showing in great details how you changed nothing at all.
One reveal for the Sacred Treasures (revealing new graphics, new outfits, new character, new effects, and a legendary team-up), then a couple months later a bunch of characters at once showing the graphic evolution for everyone (no need to showcase everyone's entire moveset if it's exactly the same as 14), that would be how to build the hype. The weekly trickle of showing absolutely no change, one character at a time, is just hammering that nothing changed, it's the opposite of building hype.

This is not KoF becoming "more of a joke" in the gaming community, this is just not happening. I don't know how long you've been following them but they've never been able to properly market their flagship game, ever. Did you even see how it went when they revealed 14, when the entire gaming community absolutely trashed the graphic style to hell and back ? This is not new.

Let me elaborate more on my points:

<2021 not 2017 graphics>
I meant in the sense that KOF XIV's graphics (despite being released in 2016) was closer to a PS3 game than a PS4 one. That would mean it was a a whole generation of console behind its competitors.

You also state that 4 years is not much, but it's actually the opposite.
Mortal Kombat is an excellent example of this.
MKX was released in 2015 while MK11 was released in 2019.
Here's the graphical comparison:

You can tell that if a company has the mind to it, they can vastly improve a game's graphics within 4 years. And NetherRealm is NOT a triple A company like Capcom or Bamco.

<KOF becoming a joke is a myth>
Tell that to the Japanese, Chinese and Korean players who were the pioneers of KOF's glory days.
A twitch streamer I enjoy watching has been playing SNK games for 30+ years and does it for a living + bought thousands of dollars of SNK's stocks through KOSDAQ and even he stated that the franchise's future looked grim.

Also, If you search on twitter and look at many of the reactions made by these people, you see them mocking the franchise as "dead" or being "irrelevant". They don't take the game seriously anymore as they used to unlike KOF'98 or KOF'02.

Sure, SNK's marketing is a problem but KOF: ALL STAR was a massive hit around the world and it wasn't due to some success at the marketing department at Netmarble, it was the franchise's nostalgic elements that sold the game.
At least KOF XIII looked visually pleasing and one of the main reasons why it did so well was thanks to its clean aesthetics and smooth gameplay.

Marketing only improves one's sales, but trying to wrap garbage with wrapping paper doesn't make the garbage any more presentable.
It should only be blamed if a game is perfectly good, but it financially did terrible which KOF XIV (and maybe KOF XV) was not.
Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 02:26:20 am by Kolossoni