Re: KoF XV
#1881  December 10, 2021, 06:59:28 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
#1882  December 10, 2021, 07:14:04 am
    • Brazil
Good to see they changed his name to something... not stupid.
#1883  December 10, 2021, 08:48:20 am
He still has the stupid drill and cannon, but at least the design is not as shit anymore.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#1884  December 10, 2021, 10:21:23 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I never been a big fan of this Emo-Sakuke-esque-Nameless...
Particularly his ingame sprites, and the fact he replaces K9999.

THis new K9999 is pretty good, I would have not redesigned exactly like that, but still pretty good!

And Glad to see him back!!
#1885  December 10, 2021, 10:58:09 am
im satisfied with the redesign though i wish they kept the force field super

it's weird not seeing his eyes though.

i wish we get a 2nd level 3 super for him , not the full screen super but a transformation like a dragon install removing his goggles and spiking up his hair.
Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 11:01:20 am by 地獄の花
#1886  December 10, 2021, 04:32:41 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh

The man is back, this time for real! :c00l::goi:

Also, kinda ironically, Krohnen ends up being the first returning character in KOFXV that actually has a impactful character redesign/growth.

You managed to get my attention this time, SNK. :)
#1887  December 10, 2021, 07:12:20 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Yes, definitely...
I did that for fun...
#1888  December 10, 2021, 07:48:24 pm
    • USA
I suppose the only thing that was holding them back was finding a redesign that they liked. Cause it was never internal blacklisting that kept K9999 out of it after all lol
Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 10:10:13 pm by 087-B
#1889  December 10, 2021, 10:27:36 pm
    • USA
I suppose the only thing that was holding them back was finding a redesign that they liked. Cause it was never internal blacklisting that kept K9999 out of it after all lol

I wonder if anyone at SNK is interested in tracking down the rights to Love Heart, for that matter? Now that Highlights Entertainment has closed down, I don't know if it makes that easier or harder.
#1890  December 10, 2021, 11:11:26 pm
Cause it was never internal blacklisting that kept K9999 out of it after all lol
I don't get this argument people are having and I don't even get who's arguing in what direction. They DID retire K9999 because of the design until they gave him something new, right ? This return with a new design proves it (not to mention Nameless nearly 20 years ago). I don't know if it was because of fear of copyright, or because they just didn't like using a rip-off design, but that's exactly what happened, isn't it ? They benched him because of his design. What even is the argument here about this blacklisting thing, who is saying what ?

Anyway, Krohnen gets pissed at "Kusanagi" but not Kyo himself, just his face, carrying a grudge with one of the other Kyos. It doesn't make much sense lore-wise because why would Krohnen be pissed at the mirror reflection, but they're really insistent on making that voice actor joke.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 11:20:16 pm by Byakko
#1891  December 10, 2021, 11:22:33 pm
    • USA
I don't get this argument people are having and I don't even get who's arguing in what direction. They DID retire K9999 because of the design until they gave him something new, right ? This return with a new design proves it (not to mention Nameless nearly 20 years ago). I don't know if it was because of fear of copyright, or because they just didn't like using a rip-off design, but that's exactly what happened, isn't it ? They benched him because of his design. What even is the argument here about this blacklisting thing, who is saying what ?

So, for many years, K9999 was deemed a hated/blacklisted character within SNK. In official artbooks, his design was blacked out and redacted, and information on him was vague. He was even replaced with Nameless in 2k2UM. Statements from SNK made it appear that they simply hated the character, such as refusing to use his name and instead calling him "the one replaced by Nameless" or similar things. A lot of this can be attributed to the Tetsuo ripoff stuff, and SNK not liking the design due to it not being original. For example, Benimaru is based on Polnareff from JJBA, yet SNK still gave him a unique design, personality, and power-set. K9999 was basically just Tetsuo.

There's a lot of things -- fear of copyright, disdain towards an unoriginal design (SNK loves to pay homage, not to ripoff), probably other things. As a result, SNK seemed to just try and "retcon" him, by making him not actually part of the canon anymore. Apparently, SNK blacklisting anything related to this character was all a ruse -- they'd been planning on bringing him back for a long time but never found a good chance to do so, or couldn't find a good design.

And before anyone says "why not just use Nameless?", Nameless has a different story that would result in a plot-hole or retcon. Redesigning K9999 and reintroducing him to the story evades the plot-hole and it's easier to explain it away.

TL;DR SNK spent 20 years pretending that K9999 was an abomination who should've never happened, when in reality they were always planning to reinvent him and never found a chance to do it til now.
#1892  December 10, 2021, 11:51:41 pm
So the argument was about SNK's feelings and future intentions about him and not the cause of retiring him then ? Weird. Oh well, it's the Internet.
#1893  December 10, 2021, 11:58:30 pm
    • USA
I never really partook in any arguments -- I dunno, people argue over a bunch of stuff. For the longest time though, SNK's public statement on K9999 was that he was "retired" from the series due to copyright issues and SNK's general disdain for his character (but the blacklisting was really just a lie).
#1894  December 11, 2021, 02:18:24 am
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Apparently, SNK blacklisting anything related to this character was all a ruse -- they'd been planning on bringing him back for a long time but never found a good chance to do so, or couldn't find a good design.
, when in reality they were always planning to reinvent him and never found a chance to do it til now.

That's actually one heck of a assumption, here. There's also the not small probability that they just didn't bother with reworking a controversial character during all these years, and just recently realised that some people actually would be interested in seeing the blue haired guy again in some way.
#1895  December 11, 2021, 03:19:27 am
    • USA
That's actually one heck of a assumption, here. There's also the not small probability that they just didn't bother with reworking a controversial character during all these years, and just recently realised that some people actually would be interested in seeing the blue haired guy again in some way.

My bad, I wasn't trying to assume -- I just figured this was the case after what Krispy Kaiser had said about the whole thing. The blacklist was a big ruse, though, that much is true.
#1896  December 11, 2021, 04:03:09 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII

My bad, I wasn't trying to assume -- I just figured this was the case after what Krispy Kaiser had said about the whole thing. The blacklist was a big ruse, though, that much is true.

#1897  December 11, 2021, 07:38:33 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
TL;DR SNK spent 20 years pretending that K9999 was an abomination who should've never happened, when in reality they were always planning to reinvent him and never found a chance to do it til now.
I dunno, this all sounds as dubious and poorly sourced as all the rumors about how SNK couldn't use K9999 ever again because they were scared of being sued. People on Twitter are just making up this shit based on absolutely nothing, and then adding it to the SNK wiki using those baseless tweets as a source. It's all completely wack.

And yes, I've seen the Discord post by the English PR guy about K9999... but the way people are taking that statement are incredibly bizarre. There is no way this PR person has been working at SNK in the same position for 15 years straight. The most obvious and reasonable way to take that statement is to recognize that KOF XV has been in development for several years, and the development team had to have decided on the roster fairly early on. And thus, the PR person had to intentionally lie about K9999's chances until it was finally time to reveal him.

It would also be helpful to look back and think about how the other Eolith-made characters were treated in the years after 2001 and 2002: not a single one of them appeared in any game once SNK came back from the grave (as SNK Playmore), except of course the (re)releases of 2002 (this includes the glorified 2002 port, Neowave). Neither Angel nor May Lee even got referenced or made any cameos; it was a complete blackout of all mention of them. Of course, K9999 went beyond that because he was also full on replaced in 2002UM by Nameless, and also had a lot of his appearances in artwork scrubbed in various books and game galleries, but it wasn't like he'd be appearing in any games, even if that stuff hadn't happened, because he falls in the same boat as Angel and May Lee.

My suspicion is that after SNK's second reformation—after XIII's disappointing sales and subsequent wave of talent leaving the company (made up of the old guard who had stuck through at SNK even after its first death), and after the acquisition of SNK Playmore by that Chinese company who invested heavily into it and led directly to XIV—there was no longer anyone left at SNK who stood in the way of the return of the Eolith characters. And so, we had the most popular one, Angel, return in XIV, which was then followed by K999 in XV. It wouldn't be surprising at this point to have May Lee show up next.
#1898  December 11, 2021, 10:02:07 am
He's back... Kinda.

K9999 hype time
#1899  December 11, 2021, 11:22:48 am
    • Romania
    • negative-edge.net
made this years ago for my Nests Game

#1900  December 11, 2021, 04:38:34 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~