YesNoOk

Running gags and memes of MUGEN (Read 64663 times)

Started by SilentProtagonist, March 17, 2012, 10:38:29 pm
Share this topic:
Running gags and memes of MUGEN
#1  March 17, 2012, 10:38:29 pm
  • "..."
    • Chile
I was trying to explain the MUGEN community to a friend the other day and remembered stuff that everyone (or every newbie) put on their characters and that became jokes.

For example, I remember many characters being given a Silent Storm palette, many joke characters using some sort of personalized Shun Goku Satsu, or the infamous Proton Cannon being a trademark of badly coded/joke characters.

As I've been away from the community for a lot of time, I wonder about what jokes have been created  ;P So, what other memes/meta-stuff have happened in the MUGEN community?
Re: Running gags and memes of MUGEN
#2  March 17, 2012, 10:42:25 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
- Kula has been cloned bazillion times, with various elemental stuff and stupid edits.
- Same goes for Len, but with more originality, giving her robot versions, baseball, soccer, etc.
- Orochi versions of many stuff. That was the trend at a time.
- Super Cancels everywhere when KOFXI came out.
- Edits of POTS' Shin Gouki.
- CVS hitsparks in every single release.

GOH

#3  March 17, 2012, 10:45:17 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
Don't forget the KOF2002UM super move backgrounds.
#4  March 17, 2012, 11:07:02 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#5  March 17, 2012, 11:08:40 pm
    • USA
There are like many Shoto edits, such as blackjack & Wang-D, & cheap ones such as God Ken, Holy Ken, & Rare Akuma.
#6  March 17, 2012, 11:10:07 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
- Freakin' ripoff of Mortal Kombat.
- nice car +1
- OLDASSMEME You can air-block it (it died pretty quickly)
- OLDERASSMEME Just block ;)

Cap

#7  March 17, 2012, 11:10:30 pm
  • Get your hands off of me, you damn dirty ape!
    • USA
I think the MVC2 super move backgrounds were an even more memorable (and terrible) fad

If you want to talk about MvC2, you should've mentioned that many characters, regardless of series or how well it would work, have had one bad MvC edit at one point or another.
#8  March 17, 2012, 11:11:23 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#9  March 17, 2012, 11:14:00 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
-POTS by Ken.  This is beyond outdated though and is pretty much the Mugen equivalent to Chuck Norris facts.  Especially since said Ken did end up being released.
-MVC3 palettes.  Ugly ass palettes with bad contrast and horrible shading that was a popular fad for a little while.

MDD

#10  March 17, 2012, 11:28:57 pm
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
-IMT creations that are loved only by members of said forum.
-Wacky KOF Iori edits became popular a little while ago.
-drewski90 requesting palettes all the time in the theme of Digimon characters.
-WlanmaniaX. Search him.
#11  March 17, 2012, 11:30:39 pm
- Kula has been cloned bazillion times, with various elemental stuff and stupid edits.
- Same goes for Len, but with more originality, giving her robot versions, baseball, soccer, etc.
- Orochi versions of many stuff. That was the trend at a time.
- Super Cancels everywhere when KOFXI came out.
- Edits of POTS' Shin Gouki.
- CVS hitsparks in every single release.

But CVS hitsparks are the best hitsparks  :'(
#12  March 18, 2012, 01:15:29 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/

if you were wondering about the origin

if you're a lazy sack of dough that doesn't want to actually watch more than 5 seconds of that vid (actually i can't blame you), it's this fucking idiot who keeps saying the aforementioned phrase even though the concept that tattoo assassins is a fucking PARODY regularly flies past his head throughout the entire review. it's an absolutely awful video and just ENCOURAGES people to play the game rather than discourage.
#13  March 18, 2012, 01:25:58 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com

if you were wondering about the origin

if you're a lazy sack of dough that doesn't want to actually watch more than 5 seconds of that vid (actually i can't blame you), it's this fucking idiot who keeps saying the aforementioned phrase even though the concept that tattoo assassins is a fucking PARODY regularly flies past his head throughout the entire review. it's an absolutely awful video and just ENCOURAGES people to play the game rather than discourage.
This game looks pretty terrific, actually.
#14  March 18, 2012, 01:29:44 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
oh it definitely is, but that's besides the point -screeching fire alarm beep interrupts video-
#15  March 18, 2012, 01:36:53 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Yeah that video is the origin and it eventually was ratsbarrel'd, but the thing is, the comparisons didn't even stop there... we'd come across more and more reviews, posts, etc. of people saying so-and-so game was a ripoff of Mortal Kombat. To give you an idea how ridiculous some comparisons were, Samurai Shodown was accused of ripping off Mortal Kombat for its zetsumei ougis.
#16  March 18, 2012, 01:51:12 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
- GANKBANK (special censorship image to cover up a hentai character when it was doing a hentai move). Started with some dinosaur and a Russian rap about gangbanging (the pronunciation of which sounded like GANKBANK).

- MIND GAMES: Retarded Youtube thing where video makers made fun of people for exploiting AI loopholes by saying that they required no skill and without said loopholes, you couldn't mindgame the AI.

- Me and some dudes from TM used to sneak references to black people. From me, Ren Idagawa and Mr. Jones both have a giant picture of Carl Winslow and an accompanying audio clip that said "HI THIS IS TV'S CARL WINSLOW AND I'M READY TO RUB YOU DOWN, BABY, SO BE PREPARED TO GET LOST IN MY CHOCOLATE SAUCE." Although they were initially unused in Ren Idagawa (The_None patched it in when he took over), it triggered upon fighting certain characters in Mr. Jones followed by a OHKO because I was too lazy to properly code GANKBANK.
#17  March 18, 2012, 01:54:00 am
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
The notion that if a Clsn1 has even one pixel that isn't covered by a Clsn2, said move has "infinite priority".
#18  March 18, 2012, 01:57:05 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
To give you an idea how ridiculous some comparisons were, Samurai Shodown was accused of ripping off Mortal Kombat for its zetsumei ougis.
:stare::stare::stare:

that's worse than when the Fighters Generation guy said that Last Blade was worse than SS because it didn't have fatalities

which is does, and even if it didn't who the fuck cares

MIND GAMES: Retarded Youtube thing where video makers made fun of people for exploiting AI loopholes by saying that they required no skill and without said loopholes, you couldn't mindgame the AI.
I've actually only seen it used in those homo genius videos, not anything MUGEN-related.
#19  March 18, 2012, 01:58:45 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
-IMT creations that are loved only by members of said forum.
-Wacky KOF Iori edits became popular a little while ago.
-drewski90 requesting palettes all the time in the theme of Digimon characters.
-WlanmaniaX. Search him.
Hey, don't make double post, MC2. Oh wai--

Here 're some other "memes" I found apart of those ones already mentioned:
-CVS Akuma/Gouki clones, way time before Kulas and Lens. Especially the edited ones from POTS' Shin Akuma
-2X pixelated chars with CVS sparks and MVC2 IMT "gamplay" (see WlanmaniaX)
-Evil/God/Shin/Orochi/Violent/Pissed-Off/Drugged/Violated/Mutilated/Etc versions of chars, especially of the 4 ones (Ryu, Ken, Kyo and Iori)
-Comics chars. A lot of great edited sprites, but also a lot of stiffed animations and gameplay, like playing with a milk carton box in MUGEN. Also, MVC (and mostly IMT) "gameplay". Like the 15-20% are good/decent

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#20  March 18, 2012, 02:01:12 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Sambo was a good meme too... he'd kick your down door down fuck your mom then trample.

- GANKBANK (special censorship image to cover up a hentai character when it was doing a hentai move). Started with some dinosaur and a Russian rap about gangbanging (the pronunciation of which sounded like GANKBANK).
Building on top of this was the MUGEN Gangbang (which is the official name now so congrats Jango, it caught on) which is where, rather than team battles because some assholes had ridiculously large teams, it would be split up amongst 2 or more people to make it more reasonable. The first MUGEN Gangbang no longer exists in its full form due to Jango and I's accounts being shut down.

It should also be noted that we found the team battles thing to be gay and ridiculous shit that Judgespear brought along anyway and the only reason we did this was to bruise MustKillroy's/GigaBowserX's/whoever else we did's egos.
Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:04:59 am by Jesuszilla