YesNoOk

How hard is doing background work? (Read 1395 times)

Started by Pasty, August 14, 2017, 08:10:07 pm
How hard is doing background work?
#1  August 14, 2017, 08:10:07 pm
    • pastygames.tumblr.com
I'm starting an art project and I'm trying to predict how long it will take. It will have large pixel-art scenes, similar to Street Fighter 2 backgrounds. If you have experience doing stuff like this, how much longer does it take you than a character sprite? 10x? More?
Re: How hard is doing background work?
#2  August 14, 2017, 08:40:36 pm
  • Unrealistic Reality
  • ______________________
    • USA
It really all depends how simple or complex the background stage you draw and how many character sprites you're comparing it too.
Coding wise character creation is more complicated than stages.
Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:44:33 pm by Insigniawarfare

HQ

#3  August 14, 2017, 09:41:57 pm
Try it.

Depending on your skills and how experienced you are. The dimensions, the perspective of the stage, if there is animation or not. How many layers for parallax etc.

If I say a stage like SF2 would take me 5 hours it wouldn't help you, seeing that you most likely don't have the same skill set, the experience in design decisions etc. The only way to find out is to try creating one stage and then see from there.
#4  August 14, 2017, 10:22:50 pm
    • pastygames.tumblr.com
I understand that my time will not equal yours and there's a lot of variables. Hopefully, giving the information I did would let anyone give me an idea of the relative effort. I'm looking for a rough idea of 1 SF2 character sprite (from scratch) vs. 1 SF2 background (from scratch).

My gut tells me it should be about 20x as hard to make the background vs. the character sprite. Is that what you guys would put it at?

HQ

#5  August 14, 2017, 10:52:44 pm
If you are looking to have a reference for paying someone to something like that, I'd suggest you say so. The whole purpose of the topic seems to me to get an estimate of how much you should pay someone to do. Depending on the artists skills he/she will have more experience creating stages or characters leading to different prices of course.

My personal experience:
1 SF2 character with about 70 frames will take you 2-4 weeks if you work day and night.
1 SF2 stage will take you 3-7 days.
All if you have a design, a style etc down and don't need the conceptualizing process.
#6  August 14, 2017, 11:41:01 pm
    • pastygames.tumblr.com
My personal experience:
1 SF2 character with about 70 frames will take you 2-4 weeks if you work day and night.
1 SF2 stage will take you 3-7 days.
All if you have a design, a style etc down and don't need the conceptualizing process.
Thanks for your input. I'm actually trying to help a friend estimate her own time for a project she's being asked to do. She has experience making sprites on the scale of a single frame of SF2 character animation, but nothing quite so large as a bg. Based on your numbers, the bg comes out to 16.7x as long a single character frame.