YesNoOk

lets have a discussion about P.o.t.S. Style  (Read 22133 times)

Started by Memo, August 24, 2016, 06:16:07 am
Share this topic:
Re: lets have a discussion about P.o.t.S. Style
#21  August 24, 2016, 07:32:21 am
  • For honor!
What's with this uniform and balance nonsense these people spew? Put all the POTS graphics characters together and you're not getting anything that's actually aesthetically uniform or uniform gameplay-wise. Even POTS' own characters aren't uniform. Like, compare his M. Bison to his Geese. Putting all the POTS graphics characters sure as shit ain't balanced either.

Why lie to yourself just embrace the chaos and see some weirdo's idea of Hibiki but with a viper beam gun and stuff take on Art of Fighting 1 faithful Todoh like we all used to do.

My actual stance on POTS graphics is I don't really care all that much. Few of them interest me because most of them are the same mediocre conversions of characters we've seen before but with glow in the dark fx.
Iroha stripped for me
#22  August 24, 2016, 07:40:48 am
    • USA
Do you play SF though? Or CVS? No right? Then that is an honest opinion of someone who isn't a big fan of the series. Who said anything about 100% balance you really didn't even read that before you jumped in. As I said. Because of renown this guy apparently created an entire fight system. You are right about one thing all that name is, is FX.
#23  August 24, 2016, 07:44:20 am
  • For honor!
Do you play SF though? Or CVS? No right?
I'm actually confident I've played more of it than you have.

Who said anything about 100% balance you really didn't even read that before you jumped in.
Like hell I'm expecting 100% balance. These characters are not even remotely balanced with each other at all.

You are right, all that name is, is FX.
Yep. I call it POTS graphics because ultimately the selling point for most is the fx.

Iroha stripped for me
#24  August 24, 2016, 07:47:01 am
  • Raging Fist
In my book, POTs style should need a different name. I mean think about it: a combat system that utilizes 3 power bars, EX attacks, MAX Mode or Zero Combo, all round based on closeness to the original character with a majority of their attacks spanning across many games, + Rei uses that for CVSU and was proven to be pretty decent for tournament usage...
I think I might have an idea for a name already. Why not call it CS-System?
Btw, I know this might be a bit of a buzzkill on my end, but has anyone ever tried to make the Hi-res FX pop out more like say using a Trans=sub animation of the projectile/effect beneath the trans = add effect? I'm pretty sure that can help out with a majority of the whole "Stage too bright for FX" problem on a few stages.
#25  August 24, 2016, 07:54:09 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Do you play SF though? Or CVS? No right? Then that is an honest opinion of someone who isn't a big fan of the series. Who said anything about 100% balance you really didn't even read that before you jumped in. As I said. Because of renown this guy apparently created an entire fight system. You are right about one thing all that name is, is FX.

But he didn't create a single system.  POTS characters have actually gone through various different systems because he was working things out between them and experimenting.  The style people know of is the one used by Honda, Geese and Cammy.  That and it's a bit difficult to say he created it since it's basically just a bunch of stuff from CVS2 thrown into one groove for better or worse.
#26  August 24, 2016, 07:59:50 am
    • USA
Let me tell you one thing.. There is absolutely no way in hell fire you have played more cvs2 than me LOL! It isn't even anything to be proud of. I have 9999999 time on memory card status.

All in all.. Don't mean to sound rube about anything. That name is like Micheal Jackson. I'll explain for those that don't know. He isn't the world's greatest dancer, but he is the King of Pop. That renown automatically beats anything out. Exodia. Lol

Also Duos you just said what I previously said above.

#27  August 24, 2016, 08:00:34 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I'd rather use the PotS originals. Perhaps it would also be nice if they stop sticking the "PotS style" label on their "works".
Yes, this "makes" a "perfect" amount of "sense". Why even "bother" using that "label"?

It's not like it's a very reasonable way to group together a collection of characters with similar gameplay styles that all have derived from the creations of one person—oh wait that's literally exactly what it is.

There's a reason everyone uses the term "PotS style". It may not be an absolutely perfect descriptor for this grouping of characters, but it doesn't need to be. There is a huge amount of variation among these characters, full of subcategories and alternate gameplay systems and weird one-offs and the like; it's pretty natural that any descriptor that links them all together is gonna be overly broad and vague.

But it works. There's no reason to try and give it a cutesy bullshit name when there's already an accepted one out there that everyone already uses.
#28  August 24, 2016, 08:01:29 am
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
    • mitia.pogorelov1@yandex.ru

So, techincaly, P.o.T.S. style is kind of EX-Groove...
Well, I dunno, I don't see a reasot to rename it somehow. Even if he just compilated that style, it was compilated by HIM. But really, let's think about his other characters, which are really not that styled. Like Charlie.
And Alpaca... NO FX OR SPARKS WILL SAVE CHARACTER IF HE IS SH*T. There is no need to find examples- look for Mazamerald's "P.o.T.S. styled" characters.

XSZ

#29  August 24, 2016, 08:02:54 am
    • USA
    • www.youtube.com/user/XSZ105
Right. It's just another CVS EX groove with different options so it's not that original
#30  August 24, 2016, 08:05:08 am
  • For honor!
Let me tell you one thing.. There is absolutely no way in hell fire you have played more cvs2 than me LOL! It isn't even anything to be proud of. I have 9999999 time on memory card status.
I bet I made more palette edits than you did even though most of them are joke palettes like "Soft Gay" Akuma and Vice with Nakoruru's Palette map
Iroha stripped for me
#31  August 24, 2016, 08:18:21 am
  • Five Dynasties of Water
    • Mexico
    • Skype - alchemistofatlas
My actual stance on POTS graphics is I don't really care all that much. Few of them interest me because most of them are the same mediocre conversions of characters we've seen before but with glow in the dark fx.

Most of people know my poision about the style, so, I won't repeat it again. But I share Arpa's opinion in that very few interest me, and only if they're well done (those who know me are aware that I use Karin and Asuna, pretty much the only characters that I use on that style.)

Know what EX Groove means, right? That's exactly what POTS did; an amalgam of the best assets of each groove from the console version of CVS2.

Are you seriously bragging about that? :/
PotS said:
That they don't just restrict themselves to my style.

Fact.
#32  August 24, 2016, 08:24:08 am
    • USA

All in all.. Don't mean to sound rube about anything. That name is like Micheal Jackson. I'll explain for those that don't know. He isn't the world's greatest dancer, but he is the King of Pop. That renown automatically beats anything out. Exodia. Lol

Also Duos you just said what I previously said above.

What's your CVS2 team.
#33  August 24, 2016, 08:26:19 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1

Know what EX Groove means, right? That's exactly what POTS did; an amalgam of the best assets of each groove from the console version of CVS2.

Technically an EX-Groove could be any kind of gameplay style as long as it only used mechanics from CVS2. I could make an "EX-Groove" where the only mechanic is the long jump. I personally made a groove in CVS2 that was as close as I could get it to MVC. I also did that for SF3, which was hilarious and WAY, WAY more game breaking.
#34  August 24, 2016, 08:27:10 am
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
    • mitia.pogorelov1@yandex.ru

Sh*t, men!
Nobody cares who played CVS2 more, it's just unneccesary. Cause it don't make you worse mugenmaker and P.o.T.S. style follower. If to be honest, I still have no ways to play CvS2 even first time... But I'm not worst at it! XD
And yes, style is not original. Yes, everything we saw there can be seen in CvS2. But do this makes style somehow worse to play? No, this style is still clear fun and everyone knows that. In fact, I don't think, that if he has the same looks but worse system it could be that good. Once again, as example MMV's DW's style edit. I still didn't saw any REALLY HQ characters in this style. But that's mainly not only because of changes in style... But still.
There is no need to rename this style, there is no need to change this style, there is no need to even discuss this style.
#35  August 24, 2016, 08:30:10 am
this thread's subject is the laziest way to start a discussion btw. how many times have we gone through this already?
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:33:53 am by Gennos
#36  August 24, 2016, 08:32:23 am
    • USA
You two really did not read that, or rather you misunderstood the context. I'm not about to explain it either.. Also so many of you are jumping in without reading what was already said. Don't quote me if you didn't read what I've said. You are only repeating it.
#37  August 24, 2016, 08:34:27 am
    • USA
All I asked what your team was. 
#38  August 24, 2016, 08:36:11 am
    • USA
Not you that person that quoted me. And the other that replied to what I said, or what they thought I meant.

I can use anyone, but to fuh stuff up I play Hibiki, Kim, and Guile.
#39  August 24, 2016, 08:36:54 am
    • USA
What groove?
#40  August 24, 2016, 08:37:54 am
    • USA
EX! I mean you could play me yourself. Any of you and see what the fuss is about haha