YesNoOk

Trying to rip "SMASH '4' 3DS" graphics (Read 15006 times)

Started by NDSilva, February 19, 2020, 07:57:34 pm
Trying to rip "SMASH '4' 3DS" graphics
#1  February 19, 2020, 07:57:34 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Yo, let's say, ::)

what if I manage to rip any Sm4sh character's animations & effects, in a pretty considerably high resolution...

Like, making use of the Citra emulator features, such as upscaling and applying custom textures to make the background either a solid color or totally transparent

- sorta like this -

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

...then would you be interested in inplement those graphics in some future project of sorts? (character coding, reference for spriting, etc.)

Just pondering right now...
...But maybe this can make for some pretty cool MUGEN stuff, I gotta say. :cool4:

Quick mockup

What's your thoughts about this? Is there any particular Smash 4 character that you wanted to make something upon?

I'm seriously HYPE to implement this "technique" on MUGEN in any shape or form, as I think those 3DS graphics actually look pretty good in a high resolution. :kugoi:

Let's see how it goes.
Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 05:15:03 pm by NDSilva

DW

Re: Hey, would ya like some "SMASH '4' 3DS" graphics?
#2  February 20, 2020, 02:15:22 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Does the 3DS version have every char from the Switch version? Either way, I think it'd be nice, though IDK how time consuming this is. It could also be used to trace over them for a different sprite style. I'm not the biggest fan of 3D models being put in a 2D format like this, because it always just looks off. Still, this could open up a cool opportunity to get some quality Nintendo chars converted.

lui

#3  February 20, 2020, 03:14:29 am
    • USA
3DS is missing:

Castlevania Duo

Ridley

Chrom

Inkling

Incineroar

Terry Bogard

Ken

Banjo and Kazooie

Joker

Hero(s)

Byleth
#4  February 20, 2020, 05:19:09 am
    • USA
Hell yes!

We need more quality Smash characters after MEGA X's Falco.
#5  February 20, 2020, 05:32:37 am
  • BRAIIIIINS!!
  • "Khh- Ahahahaha!"
    • Chile
This could help spriters to have a base to make smash characters sprites
#6  February 20, 2020, 05:41:03 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
#7  February 20, 2020, 06:55:25 am
  • Support me @ ko-fi.com/violinken
    • youtube.com/c/ViolinKen
Very cool.  Interested in bayonetta.  Are you also using cheatengine?  Would probably be useful to lock x and y positions and camera zoom.
Support me @ ko-fi.com/violinken

#8  February 20, 2020, 07:26:38 am
  • Aaaaaaa
  • Aaaaaaa
How hard is it to make 3D work in MUGEN? It seems like usually you'll need a lot of sprites as well as a lot of pallet wizardly to make it look good? I guess dragon claw is a good exam of it being done right.
Fortnite 2 baby.
#9  February 20, 2020, 01:14:49 pm
    • USA
3DS is missing:

Castlevania Duo

Ridley

Chrom

Inkling

Incineroar

Terry Bogard

Ken

Banjo and Kazooie

Joker

Hero(s)

Byleth

Just adding some that were missed:

King. K Rool

Echoes (Daisy, Dark Samus)

Ice Climbers

Snake

Piranha Plant

Squirtle and Ivysaur

Isabelle

Pichu

Wolf

Yong Link

Regardless that still leaves us with a lot of good characters that people would probably be able to sprite if you did this. I'm definitely on board for us getting some more characters from the Smash roster!
#10  February 20, 2020, 05:07:18 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
For sure interested in Marth
Re: Trying to rip "SMASH '4' 3DS" graphics
#11  February 21, 2020, 01:43:34 am
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Very cool.  Interested in bayonetta.  Are you also using cheatengine?  Would probably be useful to lock x and y positions and camera zoom.
I didn't try CheatEngine yet. But I sure gotta do! It would make things a lot easier if it really becomes possible to lock the character or even the camera, as I wouldn't need to take a picture of the whole map to get the same amount of results. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

How hard is it to make 3D work in MUGEN? It seems like usually you'll need a lot of sprites as well as a lot of pallet wizardly to make it look good? I guess dragon claw is a good exam of it being done right.
If the character renderization and frame capturing is consistent enough, it's actually kinda easy to make some alternate palettes; or, at least, by some extent - kinda like those old school fighters anyway. :P

Alright, this is the first "full animation" attempt:

And boy... There are a couple of screwups on this one. :uhoh2:

...Turns out that cropping a sprite using pink background is actually a bad idea for Captain Falcon, just because of that tiny little detail on his shoulder plate. I definitely gotta pay more attention to things like this in the future. Also, that floating icon above the character doesn't seem to really help in showing their position during a vertical movement like this one, now that I think about it. :P

The only thing that really bothers, is the fact that Citra's snapshot feature orders you to define a name for the saved picture, in every single time... :wall:

I would like to see if the video capture function from it works well enough, but... I just can't find any working way to extract all the frames of a WEBM file in it's original quality. :[

Gotta test more stuff;
Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:31:49 pm by NDSilva
#12  February 21, 2020, 05:31:30 am
For ripping, I recommend using animget.  I used that to rip from dragon's crown as there was no screen capture for rpcs3.

#13  March 04, 2020, 05:14:47 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'm gonna stick with the default screenshot feature from Citra - afterall, that seems to be the only way to capture a frame in the intended resolution, which is way, way bigger than my monitor's maximum resolution.

Well, at least I can freely adjust all the shortcuts so that the process becomes a bit more simple to handle. :nugoi:

Yo, second attempt:

Marth's model actually stands out quite well in a solid background color - only requiring some manual edits here and there in order to get a clean rip.

This behavior may seem to be true for the majority of the cast, I hope. :)

And then...

there are cases like Bayonetta - in which some parts of her costume actually reflect the background color... :uhoh2:

Dat color inaccuracy... bugs me out even more than the stray pixels themselves. :uhoh:

So... in order to keep things feasible in those particular cases, I think I'm gonna take the frames using the most neutral background (grey), and then give actually less importance to the "kinda rough outline" aspect it gives.

I mean... It still works pretty well, right? :wink3:

(Btw, Violin Ken: which of the two bayos would you rather see a full take, first? :P)
Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 05:26:41 pm by NDSilva
#14  March 09, 2020, 03:26:25 am
Nice work.  I've always been a fan of the original. 

#15  March 14, 2020, 01:40:20 am
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
So, if I got it right,

those are all of the "ground, light" variations of a gethit animation in Smash - with there also being "medium", "strong" and "BUMPER" variations of these, and then the air/falling/tripping/grabbed animations.

^ x-axis here was solely based on the display icon that's above the char. And it works quite well... besides losing it's accuracy during the hitshake phase... (although that's not really a big deal)

Now, I just gotta see if I can somehow remove those glowing effects present in a quite amount of the game's mechanics - or if there's really no way other than leaving them as is - ...and then I might feel confident enough to oficially start a "project" thread of sorts. =)
Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 02:21:00 am by NDSilva
#16  July 14, 2020, 07:13:35 am
  • Come On You Know LGx
  • biblical (yea)
    • USA
    • Skype - eddsworldtrash
    • remixsparta.wix.com/mugensdawn
Honestly, I would KILL to have this type of stuff at my disposal. I'm planning to make a Mii Gunner using Smash 4's default Mii Gunner look, and ripping the animations like this would help IMMENSELY for sprite reference.
#17  July 14, 2020, 01:33:29 pm
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
These are surprisingly clean! Loads of potential here.
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack