YesNoOk

The Kamen Rider/Super Sentai Thread (Read 645078 times)

Started by Hams Will Get You, September 07, 2009, 10:26:18 am
Share this topic:
Re: The Kamen Rider/Super Sentai Thread
#641  June 24, 2013, 05:52:50 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
i just finished watching double. i must say i really ejoyed it, the edning was... bleh but it doesn't matter because it was a fun ride.

i think my favorite form of them all was joker, DAT RIDER PUCH.... DAT RIDER KICK!!! :datass:

i'd say i'm going to miss shotaro and philip but i still have like 5 movies and several specials to watch (plus my cyclone-joker & dragon ranger should arrive soon). and after that:

YOU COUNT THE MEDALS ONE TWO AND THREE!
LIFE GOES ON! ANYTHING GOES! COMING UP OOO!

what can i expect?
#642  June 24, 2013, 06:25:25 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Cakeboss being SUBARASHI for one.

Also the 40th anniversary/1000th episode special. Along with the anniversary movie which takes place between episodes 26 and 27 of the season.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:30:45 am by Roman55
#643  June 24, 2013, 09:45:19 am
An actually interesting "main duo" dynamic, the first since Kuuga (yes, Kabuto -abusive- and W -designed as one- are out), and the less "dumb evil" group in a while. And a nice supporting cast (due to SUBARASHII and a little bit of Gotou) that actually has any idea WTF is going on.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#644  June 24, 2013, 10:03:04 am
  • Unique, just like everyone else
Spoiler: Not that most of us will need it but I'm being sensitive to those who haven't watched Double (click to see content)

As for O's.  Best description I ever saw for it was, if Double is 60% serious and 40% comedy, OOO is the opposite.  The form change gimmick is a bit of a clusterfuck as his collection grows and a lot of cool combinations are missed or underutilized, but the concept is pretty cool I dug most of the deigns.  Personally I thought Gotou was the weakest link in the whole thing.  Eiji was a little hard to like at times because of how distant he is (there's a reason for that, tho) but him and Ankh were great together.  Cakeboss is best.

tl;dr OOO is solid, I'm pretty sure you won't hate it.  The trouble starts at Fourze and has so far lasted through Wizard, so enjoy it while you can.
Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:06:43 am by Jexsam
#645  June 24, 2013, 11:32:54 am
Best description I ever saw for it was, if Double is 60% serious and 40% comedy, OOO is the opposite.
While it may be right for each episode taken one by one, the differences between W's dumb and lazy Sonozakis and OOO's crazy, desire-driven Greeeds make OOO's overall story a lot more serious.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#646  June 25, 2013, 02:36:05 am
Along with the anniversary movie which takes place between episodes 26 and 27 of the season.
are you talking about the crossover movie that was moslty about den-o and a group of random kids? becasue that movie was terrible (even if it had dark kabuto in one scene the background)
Spoiler: Not that most of us will need it but I'm being sensitive to those who haven't watched Double (click to see content)
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

the differences between W's dumb and lazy Sonozakis

it was all part of his plan to let double do what he wanted and let phillip turn  everyone was just a puppet in his experiment. sonozaki ryuube was the japanese robotmonekyhead

thanks guys, now i'm hyped for OOO's
#647  June 25, 2013, 03:03:27 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
#648  June 25, 2013, 04:28:51 am
>narration by tachiki fumihiko
i'm liking it already

i remembered i started reading kamen teacher but stopped shortly for whatever reason, should i pick it up again or just wait for the tv series?

i know that everyone is dissapointed by wizard but despite it all it will hold a special place in my heart becasue it was my first rider show i watched weekly and most importantly because when it came out it was the only good thing on super hero time with useless-busters and smile precure being terrible wizard became MY LAST HOPE.

the only kamen rider shows i have finished are kabuto and double. they also have a little thing in common (nothing mayor), can you guess what it is? i also dropped den-o because fuck den-o and only watched like 5 epsidoes of kiva but i'm interested in picking it again
#649  June 25, 2013, 04:48:35 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
At this point I don't know if you'll have issues with Kiva since Wizard might be worse than Kiva.
At least Kiva was entertaining, Wizard is just boring, dull, uninteresting it has terrible pacing and I'm not really fond of the suit designs or finishers.
#650  June 25, 2013, 04:57:10 am
#651  June 25, 2013, 06:33:45 am
What dragged Kiva down more than anything else was the shitty, shitty drama.  Get past that and it's entertaining enough.

My problem with Fourze...  I dunno, maybe I am too harsh on it.  Pacing was garbage for sure.  I honestly didn't like most of the characters, they were almost all one trick ponies who all got their predictable spin at character development and then never grew at all after their arc was over.  Worse still, near the end, the implicit scale of each Rider and Zodiart's relative strength gets tossed out the window.  And don't bother asking any questions, like why do the guy's eyes turn red,
because answering obvious questions is for dumbasses.  On top of that, every last one of Fourze's forms are ugly as hell and the only cool-looking Rider is Meteor (ruined by his upgrade, of course, as is a long-standing tradition of Rider final non-movie forms).  Fourze's switches range from badass (I WILL KICK YOU WITH A CHAINSAW) to mind-numbingly dumb (My leg is a refrigerator, and my other leg is a spigot!).  All that, and the setting was gimmicky and lame.  Points for trying something a little different, but experiment failed.

Then again.  The monster designs are generally fairly cool, the wire fight choreography is actually pretty entertaining, and having not one, but two leads that can kick ass out-of-suit (and do so effectively!) was pretty great.  And as much as I shit on Fourze in general,
  Fourze gave me feels, even if just for that moment, and for that I will never forgive it.  So I guess all things considered I am a tad harsh on it.  I still don't think it's very good but it's not the shitpile I like to say it is.
#652  June 25, 2013, 06:39:32 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
What dragged Kiva down more than anything else was the shitty, shitty drama.  Get past that and it's entertaining enough.
That pointless love triangle killed it for me personally.
#653  June 25, 2013, 06:58:08 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Draw me like one of your french girls haruto
#654  June 25, 2013, 07:05:30 am

... good night everyone
#655  June 25, 2013, 07:12:32 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
#656  June 25, 2013, 07:37:04 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
I would blame that on Wataru being spineless, Mio going from shy girl to that dumb 180 twist and Taiga just... being  ugh.
Misunderstandings all over the place.

Kiva is still more entertaining than Wizard though (Also it has better designs and music)
#657  June 28, 2013, 07:44:15 am
God fucking damnit.  Mayu was the only thing in this damned show left I was interested in seeing how she turned out and you assholes fucked it up.

Fuck you, Wizard, and the dragon you rode in on.

Oh well.  At least Garo is still marginally entertaining and will last into the next Rider.  With Akiba 2 done, though, the next couple of months look bleak.   :gonk:
#658  June 28, 2013, 07:52:05 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Oh well.  At least Garo is still marginally entertaining
No, it's not. The new Garo is absolutely terrible, there's nothing good about it and I'd even consider it worse than Wizard (Then again Wizard is already in episode 40 and the plot still has barely moved, Garo is halfway done but boy, this first half is really really fucking bad. It's UltraSeven X's kind of bad.)

Anyways, Kuuga's novel seems interesting, apparently it's more focused on Ichijou and there's a new Kuuga that goes out of control.
#659  June 28, 2013, 08:58:21 am
Oh well.  At least Garo is still marginally entertaining
No, it's not. The new Garo is absolutely terrible, there's nothing good about it and I'd even consider it worse than Wizard (Then again Wizard is already in episode 40 and the plot still has barely moved, Garo is halfway done but boy, this first half is really really fucking bad. It's UltraSeven X's kind of bad.)

I think by this point it's pretty obvious we're of differing views on Garo.  What's keeping me hanging onto it is the fact that I dig the visuals and the out-of-suit action.  I'm one of those guys that's really not all that hard to entertain.

Even then, I'm this close to losing my patience with it.  Even I've got a limit of bullshit I can take.  >:|
#660  June 28, 2013, 09:18:05 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
The choreography has been extremely subpar for a Garo series, other than that I'm extremely disappointed with the storytelling, it's just plain atrocious. Here I was expecting HUGE consequences after that episode where Ryuga got betrayed by the reporter and got broadcasted all over Volcity as a killer but after the episode where Nao was a guest star things just went back to normal just like that.

Makai Senki was already a step down from the original Garo (Not a big one though), but this season is way way waaaay below. I was honestly hoping this to be 13 episodes at most because the overall direction of the series, lackluster choreography and mediocre generic horror designs are unbearable. Then again, this is what happens when Amemiya is not in charge of the series.