Started by Orochi Gill, July 09, 2016, 05:00:44 am
Share this topic:
Re: Random Topic V10
#821  September 13, 2016, 11:52:16 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Elaborate because I am not convinced taking mass photos of a naked Dick Grayson is how you describe it as.
It's a 10 minute comedy show made for children. I've only seen a couple of episodes, but it always managed to succeed at that goal. I guess it also helps that I have absolutely no emotional attachment to the '03 series.

Regardless if it wasn't accurate to the comic it was based on the Teen Titans cartoon was well liked and had a big fanbase and they betrayed that fanbase by turning it into a gag show. Maybe if GO wasn't specifically based on the 2003 show less people would have had any issues with it.
The 2003 cartoon was also perceived a huge betrayal of the comics by the fans of the comic!!! But even with all that, it still managed to develop its own fanbase and became a very popular and well-liked show, and 10 years later, no one really remembers the widespread dislike of the show.

TTG is no betrayal anymore than TT2003 was.
#822  September 13, 2016, 11:55:13 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Even if it wasn't based on the 2003 show it would still get hate, because the more extreme fans of that show cannot accept any other interpretation of TT.  See also the way they hated on the Justice League vs Teen Titans and Injustice versions of the characters.  I am sure most fans don't feel that way but there is definitely a problematically vocal group who do.
#823  September 13, 2016, 11:59:01 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I'm not emotionally attached to the TT cartoon or any comic iteration of TT, and still find TTG to be an offensively bad show.
#824  September 14, 2016, 12:00:28 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
I'm of the school that nothing has to follow any given legacy of anything and that in the end, the only thing that matters is if the end product is good. I mean, look at Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It deviates so much from the source material and Dahl's estate totally hates it, but the movie is a classic (compare this to Tim Burton's take on the story, which was almost to-the-letter yet was "okay" at best).

As someone who didn't really watch TT a whole lot, TTG just by itself just feels rushed and not really funny at all. It's like the Crimson Viper of cartoons, where it feels like it was basically produced in an attempt to cash in on an established brand with things that studio executives think the kids are going for today.

Granted I found TT to be horrible but still...

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#825  September 14, 2016, 12:02:25 am
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Literally the only thing I remember about TT was that at one point during the intro they may or might not scream the words Teen Titans.
Also Raven was cute.
And for some reason DC made Starfire into a slut and I will never forgive them for that
#826  September 14, 2016, 12:04:44 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Oh and I guess Teen Titans introduced me to Puffy Amiyumi which... I guess counts for something, even if I only like maybe three of their songs (and none of them are the Teen Titans intro).

lui

#827  September 14, 2016, 12:06:29 am
    • USA
what im sick of is seeing saints nostalgia trips in this thread
#828  September 14, 2016, 12:15:38 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I'm of the school that nothing has to follow any given legacy of anything and that in the end, the only thing that matters is if the end product is good. I mean, look at Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It deviates so much from the source material and Dahl's estate totally hates it, but the movie is a classic (compare this to Tim Burton's take on the story, which was almost to-the-letter yet was "okay" at best).

As someone who didn't really watch TT a whole lot, TTG just by itself just feels rushed and not really funny at all. It's like the Crimson Viper of cartoons, where it feels like it was basically produced in an attempt to cash in on an established brand with things that studio executives think the kids are going for today.

Granted I found TT to be horrible but still...

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
This is what I'm saying.  TTG can be bad on its own without having to be "a disgrace to the original show."  Or it can be good if that is your perspective.  The comparison is inevitable, but it's important to remember that the TT cartoon wasn't a faithful adaptation to begin with.

Literally the only thing I remember about TT was that at one point during the intro they may or might not scream the words Teen Titans.
Also Raven was cute.
And for some reason DC made Starfire into a slut and I will never forgive them for that

They were all cute cause that was the art style.
Well not Terra, that bitch had noodle arms.
#829  September 14, 2016, 12:18:38 am
    • USA

alright no more nostalgia last one just had to get this well edited video out here

This is what I'm saying.  TTG can be bad on its own without having to be "a disgrace to the original show."  Or it can be good if that is your perspective.  The comparison is inevitable, but it's important to remember that the TT cartoon wasn't a faithful adaptation to begin with.

it wasnt faithful yeah. teen titans 2003 was basically a new imagination of the comix. the executives at cartoon network told them to try somethimg new.
and Glen Murakami who created 03 TT happened to be very inspired by japenese pop culture. thats why cyborg looks like a robot from a toku show and beast boy riding a moped taken from FLCL

Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:40:05 am by ☺Saint
#830  September 14, 2016, 12:26:51 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA

I've never seen someone squander his posts each day so much

Burton's version wasn't really that bad (I enjoyed it) but it was absolutely nowhere near the caliber of the 70's version. Good, but nowhere near great. Then again that's one of my favorite movies ever, so I'm biased. ;P

lui

#831  September 14, 2016, 12:39:33 am
    • USA
burton's version just...creeped me out. i know its tim burton but even by his standards for me his version is weird.

i legit thought johnny depp was imitating micheal jackson
#832  September 14, 2016, 01:21:52 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
That's because he was, whatever his claims to the contrary
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#833  September 14, 2016, 01:30:58 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
i legit thought johnny depp was imitating micheal jackson
you're not alone there :S
I'm not emotionally attached to the TT cartoon or any comic iteration of TT, and still find TTG to be an offensively bad show.
pretty much this for me too. in my case i've never read any of the TT comics but i loved the 2003 series (it helped shape me into the anime loving bastard that makes you love but can't help to cringe to). i would really like TTG if it wasn't so bad and unfunny. and i've seen several episodes and had a few chuckles but the jokes in general are just not funny and the characters are too over the top stupid and/or annoying

TT2003 also made the girls into waifus.
Spoiler: FUN FACT (click to see content)

yes, i know. i also watched that 107 facts video
#834  September 14, 2016, 02:59:04 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Take someone who's only experience to TT is through the cartoons and show them what comic Starfire was like compared to the show.  Lol.

Thank you for reminding me about this.

Anyways, yeah, Teen Titans Go is trash, it goes as far as acknowledging it in show compared to what the original show was using these animated versions of the characters.  The "Tara Strong is popular because MLP, must make Raven obsessed about it" bit wasn't funny to begin with, making it a large part of her character is just mind-numbing.  The randomness is Ren & Stimpy or Ed, Edd n' Eddy without the shown excessive Loony Toons violence.  It's just a disappointment to watch.

That said, and on what others have mentioned, I never found the comics versions of them interesting of those I've read, never held the need or desire to go get more, so I'm completely bias to the old show.
Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:04:44 am by Long John Killer
#835  September 14, 2016, 03:31:08 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I've always wondered if Willis did a follow up when they made a Starfire comic series like the cartoon version last year

I definitely ain't gonna check though
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#836  September 14, 2016, 03:49:13 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
That said, and on what others have mentioned, I never found the comics versions of them interesting of those I've read, never held the need or desire to go get more, so I'm completely bias to the old show.
This might be pretty heretical, but the comic was never really that great. It was a collection of interesting concepts and characters but I don't think it's ever really gelled together well. Unless you count Young Justice (the comic), I guess.

The big problem with the Teen Titans comics is that even during its most beloved/popular period (the early 80s), it always felt like second-rate X-Men. There was no point in time back then when it was preferable to pick up a copy of Teen Titans over one of Uncanny X-Men. And again, that was at it's height! It's been all downhill from there, with numerous relaunches and attempted revamps that never seem to last very long.

I'm not really sure why the franchise has struggled so much, it seems like a pretty simple and attractive concept!
#837  September 14, 2016, 05:45:07 am

#838  September 14, 2016, 01:48:00 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

TTG has some pretty interesting concepts as far as children humour shows go, by remixing and fucking around with common cartoon cliches.
The scooby episode was pretty funny, as was several of the parody episodes that parodied other stuff ( like them going through batman stuff)

People take it too seriously because they grew with the anime TT and it was part of their formative years so they see the jokey-silly as something worst than it is. The level of virtiol is hilarious and amusing, it has gone into the show as well with episodes like the one where they watch the old show and discover the new show is a plot by the villains to denigrate their public image.

RAVEN LIKES MLP?!?! THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER!!! REEEEEE!
#839  September 14, 2016, 01:59:08 pm
RAVEN LIKES MLP?!?! THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER!!! REEEEEE!
I don't watch any of those shows but that honestly sounds dumb. It's fitting enough for a show for little kids, I just don't see why anyone would think it's a good idea to insert that kind of pop culture reference in a cartoon from a comic book. Why even make a comic book cartoon if you're just making a kids show with a coat of paint that happens to look like that comic book, why not make a brand new show.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#840  September 14, 2016, 02:27:22 pm
I can't feel any hate for TTG. I know I wouldn't like it, but of course I have to consider that I'm about 15-20 years removed from the target audience. And a bitter old guy who hates anything hip. I'm more than certain this was the case for 2003 too, it just didn't have social media making it out to be this aids-infested cringey eye cancer.

And yes 2003 also helped make me into the anime loving weirdo I am today, cute girls make everything better.