YesNoOk

Random Topic V10 (Read 1903439 times)

Started by Orochi Gill, July 09, 2016, 05:00:44 am
Share this topic:
Re: Random Topic V10
#941  September 22, 2016, 08:14:09 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I've been confused about the concept that I get when I hear about it, but not enough to catch my interest to actually watch.  It sounds like basically, it does to Shojo what One Punch Man did to Shonen, it deconstructs its main values and inverts them.  Instead of friendship, teamwork and innocence with magic girls, it's deception, betrayal and murder...with magic girls.  Likely also rape, given the genre.  Also the protagonist is really the villain and the sidekick is the victim or something, I dunno.

Unlike One Punch Man, which I can't stand, I'd imagine I might like this reworking of the Shojo tropes a little, at least enough to finish one of the chapters/seasons.  But then, I'm also presuming its all done to the extreme, so I'm imagining Battle Royale levels of disturbing imagery with cutesy pre-teens.  So...just Battle Royale, then.  And I barely made it through the first book before dropping that and leaving the rest of the collection to gather dust on the shelf.

God damn high school hooker getting a car rammed into her vagina, twisted series.
#942  September 22, 2016, 08:59:25 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Damn, what you described sounds like if Gen Urobuchi was like "pack it up boys, I'm gonna let his edgy 15-year-old emo goth direct the show now."

The disturbing aspect isn't so much from graphic displays (the violence is actually pretty relatively tame). What I found more disturbing (and y'all other watchers can disagree with me) was how the series itself messes with you. The backgrounds/artwork are pretty unsettling to look at and rarely make any logical sense, it builds up in one direction and completely turns it around, and dialog is less shocking as it is "well... damn you might have a point."

This is probably going to be a horrible comparison, but think of the works of H.P. "Cthulhu Mythos" Lovecraft. The horror from Lovecraft's stories isn't from blood everywhere or edgy content (although sometimes it happens), but from the idea that the characters find themselves in something bigger that just can't be explained without losing their sanity, and shows just how futile their own existence is. In many ways, this feels like a Lovecraft story with magical girls in it.
#943  September 22, 2016, 09:46:28 am
    • USA
It's just a magical girl anime that's not shit like the rest of the magical girl genre series. I pretty much decided to watch it because of what happens during episode 3 (I got spoiled by kotaku of all things, I guess it was a good thing anyway considering that it was the trigger that made me download the anime to begin with).

People overanalyze it and then end up feeling "betrayed" by the third movie for whatever reason. I loved that damn movie.
#944  September 22, 2016, 12:43:42 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
The third movie was great because of the betrayal imo.

They really throw you for a loop in that one. I should watch it again.
#945  September 22, 2016, 01:01:48 pm
Didn't the ending to the TV series have a mixed reaction as well, or was that just a vocal minority? I enjoyed it.

I've been confused about the concept that I get when I hear about it, but not enough to catch my interest to actually watch.  It sounds like basically, it does to Shojo what One Punch Man did to Shonen, it deconstructs its main values and inverts them.  Instead of friendship, teamwork and innocence with magic girls, it's deception, betrayal and murder...with magic girls.  Likely also rape, given the genre.  Also the protagonist is really the villain and the sidekick is the victim or something, I dunno.

Unlike One Punch Man, which I can't stand, I'd imagine I might like this reworking of the Shojo tropes a little, at least enough to finish one of the chapters/seasons.  But then, I'm also presuming its all done to the extreme, so I'm imagining Battle Royale levels of disturbing imagery with cutesy pre-teens.  So...just Battle Royale, then.  And I barely made it through the first book before dropping that and leaving the rest of the collection to gather dust on the shelf.

One Punch Man is more of a parody, so not quite the best comparison.

Grimdark Mahou Shoujo isn't nearly as much as you think, it's less violent than the average shounen for one. The darkness can be a tad excessive but that's the point, it doesn't go too far and become a laughable caricature as a result. It's easy to read too hard into the series and misinterpret it (whether out of ignorance, preference, or whatever), especially with it's polarizing themes.
Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:05:56 pm by Niitris
#946  September 22, 2016, 01:20:14 pm
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
reading this thread may have killed the third movie for me :/
#947  September 22, 2016, 05:27:06 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
just watch the damn movie already!!

this topic also made me notice normies (or at least normal compared to us) misunderstand meguca (or anime in genral) and how people like overanalyze things
This is probably going to be a horrible comparison, but think of the works of H.P. "Cthulhu Mythos" Lovecraft. The horror from Lovecraft's stories isn't from blood everywhere or edgy content (although sometimes it happens), but from the idea that the characters find themselves in something bigger that just can't be explained without losing their sanity, and shows just how futile their own existence is. In many ways, this feels like a Lovecraft story with magical girls in it.
hmm... yeah, pretty much this
a franchise similar to gundam
they're getting there:
Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 05:37:59 pm by Bastard Wolf
#948  September 22, 2016, 05:55:39 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
urobuchi series can ahve unmatches violence, but the violence is nto really to focus,l it just shows how butal thigns are, like the exploding guns in psycho pass or the vaporizing gun in gargantia

one of my favorite anime scenes ever.

All this Madoka discussion reminds me I should finish watching it.
From the sounds of things, you guys prefer watching the 2 movies over all the episodes?

nah, tv series first, preferably first tv series not even the bluray version.

and wait 2 months after watching episode 10 then wach episode 11 and 12 on easter friday.
Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 05:59:05 pm by Bastard Mami
#949  September 22, 2016, 06:31:55 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
Relevant

#950  September 22, 2016, 09:08:48 pm
    • USA
#951  September 22, 2016, 09:15:45 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
I can symphatize with Danny
#952  September 24, 2016, 03:19:48 am
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
Should we create a kickstarter for Jesuszilla and SeanAltly to have a collab rap album LP?
#953  September 24, 2016, 04:02:24 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Context???
#954  September 24, 2016, 04:03:29 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
would danny fuck zombies and/or vampires ? what about androids ?
#955  September 24, 2016, 08:39:33 am
    • Puerto Rico
#956  September 24, 2016, 09:48:10 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Yes because in the time I knew Seanaltly and Jesuszilla, neither really expressed any desire to rap.
#957  September 24, 2016, 04:00:20 pm
    • Puerto Rico
Yes because in the time I knew Seanaltly and Jesuszilla, neither really expressed any desire to rap.

Seanaltly does rap (at least now, I thought you knew that). As for JZ... well... I'm actually not sure why I added him in (might be cause f a funny snip-it from a stream where I mentioned about CvS2's NY theme and he recited a lyric from it).

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#958  September 24, 2016, 07:14:44 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the only professional singer in the mugen comunity (afaik) is shoshingo.
#959  September 24, 2016, 07:19:02 pm
    • USA
well done AMV, kinda disturbing visuals

pretty sure most of you have seen this. if not, here
#960  September 24, 2016, 07:38:15 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
I unironically like Maximum the Hormone so this amv is automatically good for me
Edit:Just watched it,who the fuck is that Jesus looking nigga
Edit2:you know what,this amv is some weird shit,nevermind