YesNoOk

King of Fighters E blog (Read 1261702 times)

Started by swipergod, November 14, 2007, 02:53:22 am
Share this topic:
Re: Mugen: King of Fighters Edition
#841  June 15, 2009, 02:19:37 am
  • The world is what you make of it
    • https://mugenkofe.wixsite.com/info
My understanding of nerfing was removing something to lessen the effectiveness or desirability of a character (taken straight from wikipedia lol).  Toning them down as it were.  Removing moves, to my understanding, is nerfing as the more moves a character has, the more effective they can be.  This isn't to say that that character isn't still going to be a bitch to fight against with less moves or that they won't be effective in general, just that they'll be less effective then they could have been.  So in KOF XII, SNK nerfed a lot of characters in comparison to other KOFs.  Hopefully for balancing issues, or perhaps to return to the basics.  Then again, they just may have run out of time to make more moves for everyone.   :sugoi:
New KOFE website is up.  Go visit it for all your KOFE needs:

https://mugenkofe.wixsite.com/info
#842  June 18, 2009, 02:30:19 am
So here's the good news.  Missfairy's been developing a new AI system.  It makes more use of the strengths of the moves and spams the rolls less.  It helps make it smarter.  We've tested it with Rugal so far and it's been great.  The idea is to implement it in all the characters and have more balanced fights and less "cheapness" and less frustrating for players. :)  This should also fix the characters that were using hybrid AIs.  Way to go Missfairy.

I'm still working on Raiden's sprites for basics.  Week's really slow thanks to overtime at work.  I'm hoping to finish all the resizing and basic coding this weekend.  Then I'll have something to show in the SNK Raiden topic.  Note that the non-KOFE version of SNK Raiden will be based off of KOF '98 advanced style mechanics.  I'll used '98 Goro to assist with giving me an idea for 2 in 1s and throw ranges.

Cheers.

#843  June 18, 2009, 08:46:22 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Looks like Raiden and KOFE are heading our to a good start. Excellent work, swipergod. We're rooting for you!!!

:afro: :bandana: :army: :biker: :drummer: :guitarist: :singer: :sultan: :sultan: :indian_brave: :indian_chief: :toff: :hat: :hat2: :helmet: :stooge_curly: :stooge_larry: :stooge_moe: :karate: :kid: :hair: :hair2: :baby: <====KOFE Fans: Horray for the KOFE team!!!!
Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 04:56:47 pm by Uche_of_MFG
#844  June 20, 2009, 10:10:21 pm
Well, posted the Raiden topic.  His basics are almost done.  Once I've completed them, I'll work on his gethit sprites.  When those are done, I'll take a break and come back to KOFE to do Mature (most likely) and possibly Vice right after, before I start Raiden's basic attacks.  Once those are done, I'll focus on Goentiz.

I found a glitch in the common1.cns for KOFE that allowed characters to attack while doing a back hop.  I've eliminated it.  Other than that, all the focus is on Raiden at the moment.

#845  June 21, 2009, 01:03:01 pm
  • I'm a llama!
My understanding of nerfing was removing something to lessen the effectiveness or desirability of a character (taken straight from wikipedia lol).  Toning them down as it were.  Removing moves, to my understanding, is nerfing as the more moves a character has, the more effective they can be.  This isn't to say that that character isn't still going to be a bitch to fight against with less moves or that they won't be effective in general, just that they'll be less effective then they could have been.  So in KOF XII, SNK nerfed a lot of characters in comparison to other KOFs.  Hopefully for balancing issues, or perhaps to return to the basics.  Then again, they just may have run out of time to make more moves for everyone.   :sugoi:

We both know this is harmless nitpicking so I'll add some more...

Removing a move isn't a nerf. There are actually situations where removing a move can be beneficial (see: Overlapping commands. Man, it would ahve been cool if Nina didn't have that taunt in DBD that kept interrupting my movements).

Also, if a character loses moves but gains new ones in return that make the character better, even if they have a lesser number of moves, it's not a nerf.

Nerfing is also relative. No character in KOFXII is nerfed because KOFXII is the first game using those iterations of those characters. You can't compare 95 or XI Kyo to XII Kyo because XII Kyo is dealing with a completely different set up than those characters.

What if we, say, remove all of Joe's special moves but make his jab unblockable and instant kill? Is he still nerfed because he lost all of those moves?

Nerfing is relative and considers the game as a whole. Nerfing has nothing to do with "desirability" as that is an abstract/objective concept that oft times isn't based on in-game prowess.

Nerfing is simply taking a character, comparatively speaking, and making them worse compared to comparable standards previously set. Because XII is a revamp, we can't really compare the characters to their other selves. And top match play hardly ever uses all moves anyway... Unles they have very few (K9999).

My little input...
#846  June 22, 2009, 06:02:40 am
I agree that nerfing is relative, but to your point about revamping making it difficult to compare, I'd point this out.  Everyone knows Gouki from Capcom.  If SNK had ported him over to KOF, gave him crazy priority, but removed some of his trademark moves like the Raging demon, regardless of the fact that he'd be in a new environment, I still think people would feel he was nerfed.  I can't see someone like Mature thriving with such a limited arsenal.  Sure the system is new, but I think that the more moves you have at your disposal, the more varied your fight can be and the more jams you can fight your way out of.  That's kinda the basis behind KOFE's balance.  Removing as many limitations as possible.  I think SNK would have given some characters more moves if they'd had more time, which is why this'll probably be like KOF '03 in terms of a starting point, but the end result means that characters aren't what they could've been and thus, are nerfed.

I will be focusing on my Raiden project, which means that Mature and Vice will probably have to wait until next month to get done.  Kinda excited about bringing Raiden to KOF.  So hopefully that'll translate into a quicker completion time for his resizing and programming.  :)

#847  June 24, 2009, 04:40:08 am
  • In the half way of my carreer...
Hi Swipergod, first, excuse my english, is poor  :'(, But well, i just want to say thank you for those great chars, i have all of them (like everybody i think.. :)) and well, keep going that way, we'll been waiting more chars, and if you can include Gouki, i'll appreciate, or better, Shin Gouki  :sugoi:
Anyway, thanks, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!, You are the best.

Note: Raiden is a great char, and you are doing a great job with him, Congratulations too.

"To challenge me, is to accept death!" Damn! so powerfull words... :P
#848  June 24, 2009, 03:50:54 pm
Thank you Margouki.  Those are some really nice words.  :D  I had considered adding Gouki into the project twice, but ultimately decided against it for now.  With all the special entries (Shiki and Neo-Dio), Gouki isn't a complete cast off, but it depends if I can find another character to round off the roster again.  With KOF XII around the corner, I have the urge to re-add Ash to the list, but I won't commit to any more characters at the moment.

Keep checking the Raiden topic for more Raiden info.

#849  June 24, 2009, 05:51:23 pm
I would like to ask how much progress is there in Rock Howard I would like to see a good Rock Howard in Mugen since I do not like any of the other Rock Howards

Monkey D. Luffy W.I.P Thanks to C.R.O.M Lando

GT

#850  June 24, 2009, 06:22:03 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - gt_ruby
Wait... What?
Yeah Titiln, in fact, You Made Him
#851  June 25, 2009, 12:32:43 am
I'll be basing my Rock off of Jin's.  It's a decent Rock.  There's a vid of the alpha of Rock on my youtube page if you want to see him (did him a long time ago), but I probably won't be finishing him now until more towards the end.  Aside from Orochi and possibly Adel, the MotW characters will be done at the very end.

#852  June 25, 2009, 04:44:12 am
  • I'm a llama!
I agree that nerfing is relative, but to your point about revamping making it difficult to compare, I'd point this out.  Everyone knows Gouki from Capcom.  If SNK had ported him over to KOF, gave him crazy priority, but removed some of his trademark moves like the Raging demon, regardless of the fact that he'd be in a new environment, I still think people would feel he was nerfed.  I can't see someone like Mature thriving with such a limited arsenal.  Sure the system is new, but I think that the more moves you have at your disposal, the more varied your fight can be and the more jams you can fight your way out of.  That's kinda the basis behind KOFE's balance.  Removing as many limitations as possible.  I think SNK would have given some characters more moves if they'd had more time, which is why this'll probably be like KOF '03 in terms of a starting point, but the end result means that characters aren't what they could've been and thus, are nerfed.

I will be focusing on my Raiden project, which means that Mature and Vice will probably have to wait until next month to get done.  Kinda excited about bringing Raiden to KOF.  So hopefully that'll translate into a quicker completion time for his resizing and programming.  :)

I totally agree that people would think an Akuma without the Raging Demon = nerfed Akuma.

However, them thinking that just means they're thinking that and they're wrong. People really have to stop looking at number of moves to mean anything. If a character has 20 TERRIBLE moves and crappy normals etc., the character is terrible. With that established ,we can see that it's not about the "number of moves."

SF's Guile has survived, really, on two special moves and really stumps people as to what he possibly could be given besides those moves that wouldn't be useless filler since those two moves pretty much cover all the bases (no pun intended). K9999 may not have been the best in the games he appeared in, but he wasn't a slouch and didn't need more than 2 then 3 special moves to hand out packages of grade A grief. In fact, he relied mostly on command moves to do so.

Having a lot of moves that provide options over a number of situations DOES make a character better, but it's the effectiveness of those moves that determines that, not the number. Because there's nothing that says one move can't do many things. Dragon punch moves in many cases (particularly with the light versions) serve as both a good anti air, good combo filler, a good defensive move to counter rush AND good wake-up.

You COULD spread that over 4 moves but the character wouldn't be any more effective. In fact, they'd be LESS effective because that's 3 extra things the brain has to register.

I guess my point is that it's not about the moves or number of moves but how effective what the character has is. There is absolutely nothing that won't allow Mature from dominating with two, even one move.

I think, in the community of MUGEN, the common consensus is that more moves = better. I am just trying to show that there's a disconnect between # of moves and effectiveness and that a characters ability isn't proportional to the number of moves they have. A good right amount of Mugen characters (not speaking of present company) are directionless simply because they just... have things. There's no thought into purpose.

And lastly, more moves = harder to balance. So you have to find the right balance between effectiveness and interest. A character still has to be interesting.

I think that the quicker a person realizes that moves can be added to a character for "fun factor" the better.
#853  June 25, 2009, 05:59:02 am

Having a lot of moves that provide options over a number of situations DOES make a character better, but it's the effectiveness of those moves that determines that, not the number. Because there's nothing that says one move can't do many things. Dragon punch moves in many cases (particularly with the light versions) serve as both a good anti air, good combo filler, a good defensive move to counter rush AND good wake-up.

Agreed.  Never any disagreement there.  More effective moves a character has, the better.  We're looking at this fact because SNK removed a lot of useful moves from characters in XII.

Games and balance in general in my view rely on a more complex "Rock, Paper, Scissor" theme.  See, if I made a Rugal and took away all his moves except Gen Cutter, but made it completely invincible on the way up, he wouldn't be as effective regardless because every move has a weakness.  In this case Gen Cutter has wiff that can be capitalized on.  To "play it safe", someone would need a projectile to throw him off and limit his cutter and suddenly they would have the advantage.  But, if Rugal had a projectile, then the playing field tips in his favor.  You continue the cycle from there.  A game with good balance will return full circle.  When you just have hadokens and sonic booms, yes the game is balanced in accordance to its own limitations, but you negate the other scenarios you fighter could find themselves in, making that balance superficial and gameplay "lower".

More moves != better. A more balanced moveset = better gameplay.  The problem I have with Mugen is that some creators will give a character 3 different close attacks that all serve the same function.  This breaks the circle and makes the additional moves superficial.  That's what I'm trying to avoid with my game, but keeping characters movesets limited to one or two moves, still limits their gameplay, even if those moves are good enough to complete the circle "on paper".  It's a step back when you evolve gameplay to a point and then start taking away from everyone.

In the end though, it seems that this is just a case of opinions.  My opinion of balance and efficiency differ from yours.  I claim that characters in XII were nerfed.  Just a claim, that's pretty much it.

#854  June 25, 2009, 06:04:11 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
that reminds me of kof2k1 foxy.
#855  June 25, 2009, 10:41:26 pm
  • I'm a llama!

I totally agree that people would think an Akuma without the Raging Demon = nerfed Akuma.

However, them thinking that just means they're thinking that and they're wrong. People really have to stop looking at number of moves to mean anything. If a character has 20 TERRIBLE moves and crappy normals etc., the character is terrible. With that established ,we can see that it's not about the "number of moves."

SF's Guile has survived, really, on two special moves and really stumps people as to what he possibly could be given besides those moves that wouldn't be useless filler since those two moves pretty much cover all the bases (no pun intended). K9999 may not have been the best in the games he appeared in, but he wasn't a slouch and didn't need more than 2 then 3 special moves to hand out packages of grade A grief. In fact, he relied mostly on command moves to do so.

You COULD spread that over 4 moves but the character wouldn't be any more effective. In fact, they'd be LESS effective because that's 3 extra things the brain has to register.

I guess my point is that it's not about the moves or number of moves but how effective what the character has is. There is absolutely nothing that won't allow Mature from dominating with two, even one move.

I think, in the community of MUGEN, the common consensus is that more moves = better. I am just trying to show that there's a disconnect between # of moves and effectiveness and that a characters ability isn't proportional to the number of moves they have. A good right amount of Mugen characters (not speaking of present company) are directionless simply because they just... have things. There's no thought into purpose.

And lastly, more moves = harder to balance. So you have to find the right balance between effectiveness and interest. A character still has to be interesting.

I think that the quicker a person realizes that moves can be added to a character for "fun factor" the better.

Indeed, less moves can very well take away from a character as far as how interesting that character is. But then again, you think of the staple Guile and how he really doesn't need much else.

Giving Rugal only the Genocide Cutter isn't a nerf. Giving him no way to deal with projectilers would be the nerf. Because we could easily make the Gen Cutter be invincible to and reflect projectiles.

Or he could very well lose all moves save for he G Cutter but be put in a game where there are no projectiles.

I guess that's the case with XII... It's new with a whole new build and thus no previous iterations of the characters really mean anything because you can't have XI Kyo in XII. XII could be put together in such a fashion that a character with two moves could dominate better than a character in XI who has 7.

A character's effectiveness is simply relative to his competition. I mean, XII Duo Lon, on paper, basically lost his least useful move and had it replaced with a far more practical version. But the changes to the properties of his existing moves didn't allow him to run rampant over the cast like he could in 03.

Malin had the same deal. Even though her shock stix were made better, not being able to have two Yo Yos and losing that ridiculous jump nerfed her ability.

I guess my point is that it absolutely has nothing to do with number of moves. As such, no one was really nerfed in XII due to their movesets because there is no other versions of those characters in their current forms and capability is relative to competition.

Back on topic.... Do you still plan to use Hotaru? That was the character I was most interested in seeing.
#856  June 27, 2009, 05:53:10 pm
MotW team:  Hotaru, Gato, Rock, Jenet  ;D

I'm starting to see a big demand for the MotW characters.  I was planning on working on them last, but perhaps after I do Ralf, Clark, Mature and Vice, I'll get to them.  Can't give a timeline yet as I am committed to finishing Raiden's programming first.  My guess would be in the fall though.  Both Hotaru and Jenet require edits to their Sexy KOs, which will also take me time.

#857  June 28, 2009, 06:12:36 pm
Did minor tweaks to Benimaru and gave Mr. Big a new jump in intro (for team battles) that looks pretty cool.  I'm feeling the strong desire to complete a character now.  I think I'll finish Raiden's SP basics and then start on Mature.  Raiden's still got a ways to go and I want a new roster member in the meantime.

#858  June 29, 2009, 02:55:02 am
Screw it.  Got impatient and started Vice.  Her basics are already finished. :P

Will get back to Raiden once she's done.  Just want to play a new character and Raiden's gonna take another couple of weeks at least.

#859  June 29, 2009, 03:54:15 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
I could tell. That post took a lot shorter than the last one.
#860  June 29, 2009, 12:27:47 pm
Screw it.  Got impatient and started Vice.  Her basics are already finished. :P

Will get back to Raiden once she's done.  Just want to play a new character and Raiden's gonna take another couple of weeks at least.

So where are screenshots and/or video

Monkey D. Luffy W.I.P Thanks to C.R.O.M Lando