YesNoOk

DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?) (Read 410104 times)

Started by Edtion, June 05, 2011, 10:00:42 am
Share this topic:
Re: DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?)
#741  July 17, 2014, 05:32:51 am
  • Haters are toys
"No weapon formed against you will have any success, and you will condemn any tongue that rises up against you in the judgment"- Isaiah 54:17
#742  July 17, 2014, 05:47:14 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
It worked so well in Birthright (the S symbol being the Kryptonian symbol for hope, proving central to the book's theme of Superman bringing hope to the world). But of course Snyder and Goyer turned it into a smug and pompous way to make a giant goddamn S totally realistic and not at all silly thing in a very serious movie about a flying man in tights. And of course not have it be connected to anything else in the story, besides that one scene.
#743  July 17, 2014, 07:34:12 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I'd have to agree there, he drew a pretty spot on Scott. I've always liked his art, people who tend to have a problem with it I think are just closed minded regarding how someone should look always. Also you can't blame him for the designs, I'm sure Morrison was behind them and quietly just drew them.

The designs were one thing, but not the be-all end-all. I just don't like Quitely's work on that book. I remember a cover where Scott looked like he had a giraffe neck that still sticks with me to this day.

We3? Amazing! Flex Mentallo? Great! All-Star? Good stuff! Batman and Robin? Yeah, okay, whatever! I just think his New X-Men stuff is not that great.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#744  July 26, 2014, 02:41:15 am
Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:28:19 am by Japanese Jesus
#745  July 26, 2014, 07:16:37 am
    • USA
I'm certainly looking forward to it!
#746  August 02, 2014, 03:24:57 am
  • Haters are toys
WildCat's uniform sucks.

*Sits down at the table and waits for J*

"No weapon formed against you will have any success, and you will condemn any tongue that rises up against you in the judgment"- Isaiah 54:17
#747  August 02, 2014, 03:25:26 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Two dcasuals fight over tape.
GO!

edit: damnit i got ninjad
#748  August 02, 2014, 03:29:24 am
#749  August 02, 2014, 05:13:43 am
    • Edtion.TK
Spoiler: Over at the DC Cinematic Universe thread: (click to see content)

Hey what kind of people did Wildcat fight?
To my understanding he use to be with the Justice Society and his abilities include: Boxing and..............boxing.
So what did he do and what kind of people did he fight, because I would assume there were at least SOME people with guns or powers or something, so given what little I know about him, I couldn't see how he would do too well against them without being COMPLETELY stealthy like Batman and catching them off guard.
Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:17:55 am by Edtion
#750  August 02, 2014, 05:23:40 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I figured that's what you wanted, and you should have just asked instead of trying to instigate. Wildcat's a boxer, but he knows other martial arts. He had to be killed 9 times in succession to die.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#751  August 02, 2014, 05:26:14 am
    • USA
I thought this was about the tape on Wildcat's hands? Now it's the whole costume? Ugh fine whatever.

So, Wildcat. Golden Age hero named Ted Grant, who's an expert fighter specializing in boxing. Looks like this:

which I think is a perfectly cromulent costume. Not one of the greats, but not bad by any measure. Just a perfectly normal costume.

Later, when the first Ted Grant retired due to an injury, his goddaughter, Yolanda Montez, took over. She had the same look as Ted:

She was later killed by Eclipso, and after Ted recovered from his injury, he returned to heroing. It was around this time where he was very firmly established as a trainer of heroes (following up on his training of Batman and Black Canary in boxing, which were both previously established), so that basically every nonpowered hero in the DC universe had at some point trained under him. This fit in well with the revival of the Justice Society, which explicitly was based on the heroes of the Golden Age teaching the next generation of heroes. It was around this time that Ted began wrapping his hands in tape, which I think is a great improvement on his costume, reinforcing the whole boxer thing while also breaking up all the black in the costume:

and now he doesn't exist because nu52. >:[

Two dcasuals fight over tape.
GO!
get out of here you mindless Marvel zombie

Hey what kind of people did Wildcat fight?
To my understanding he use to be with the Justice Society and his abilities include: Boxing and..............boxing.
So what did he do and what kind of people did he fight, because I would assume there were at least SOME people with guns or powers or something, so given what little I know about him, I couldn't see how he would do too well against them without being COMPLETELY stealthy like Batman and catching them off guard.
He fought normal ass dudes like Batman does. Or like any street level hero does. Your Green Arrows, your Huntresses, your Black Canarys (when she doesn't have the Canary Cry), your Questions, your Judomasters, your Mister Terrifics, and so on. Batman's really the only hero who has had explanations grafted onto him about how he deals with gun-toting thugs, the rest of them just don't worry about them. And I mean, it's not really that big of a deal. In real life Batman would be dead within the week, stealth or no; it's all fantastical, and one has to suspend their disbelief.
#752  August 02, 2014, 05:50:34 am
    • Edtion.TK
I agree with Jmorphman, the tape is an improvement on the costume.
It's not really a good costume but it looks better with tape (or something) than without.

I figured that's what you wanted, and you should have just asked instead of trying to instigate. Wildcat's a boxer, but he knows other martial arts. He had to be killed 9 times in succession to die.

Nah, I was just interested in seeing them/someone argue over a costume/character/etc, the actual interest in him developed after I was quoting their posts.

I don't get the resurrection thing (aside from it being an cheap-excuse to make him useful/unkillable), but it would(ve) explain(ed) him being on a team with super-powered peoples (except apparently that wasn't invented for years after he joined).

Batman and family fights people with weapons and powers; when their fighting skills and environment don't work, they also have tools/weapons that give them an edge in the fights, Green Arrow as well.

Wildcat has nothing but his hands (and a later developed immortality thing). Did he only fight people with fists and melee weapons up to and after he got his power, or was/is there some kind of explanation as to how he could fight people with guns with no body armor or weapons and only his fists and the surprise that they have to kill him multiple times to kill him?

P.S. what is your avatar Jmorphman?
#753  August 02, 2014, 06:00:27 am
    • USA
He fought thugs with guns all the time, and there was no explanation for how he could survive. Because one isn't really needed. No one else besides Batman really has one. It's just not that important.

my avatar is from Community; it's the Greendale Human Being

Bea

#754  August 02, 2014, 11:47:07 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
He fought thugs with guns all the time, and there was no explanation for how he could survive. Because one isn't really needed. No one else besides Batman really has one. It's just not that important.

my avatar is from Community; it's the Greendale Human Being

Pfft? What do you mean about no explanation?
Clearly Batman always dose himself with bullet repellent bat-spray before going out and about on his adventures!
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#755  August 02, 2014, 03:45:59 pm
  • Haters are toys
He fought thugs with guns all the time, and there was no explanation for how he could survive.
Or how he never got caught/discovered. The tape itself is a huge downgrade, as his fingers are exposed, speed-wraps are far more efficient, would fit over gloves, reinforce the knuckles, thus giving him optimal striking power.

It's just not that important.

killed 9 times in succession to die.

It's important J.

Plus, are you telling me adding a stealth aspect wouldn't be a good thing?

#756  August 02, 2014, 06:28:36 pm
    • USA
No. Wildcat is not a stealth guy, he's the dude who runs up to you and beats the shit out of you. He's not a ninja, like Batman, he's a brawler. Making him a stealthy character would be bad for the character.

And this is all besides the point because Wildcat doesn't go on patrols or fight ordinary thugs anymore. The last time he did was probably in the Golden Age or something (he might've done a few in the recent JSA runs but if he did it was very much not a common thing). It's just not relevant anymore, he's firmly a team player now. He'll beat up dudes that the whole JSA is facing, but that's about it.

Or how he never got caught/discovered. The tape itself is a huge downgrade, as his fingers are exposed, speed-wraps are far more efficient, would fit over gloves, reinforce the knuckles, thus giving him optimal striking power.
The entire genre of superheroes is completely unrealistic and fantastical. Things that look cool are given much more importance than practical stuff. Take Batman's cape: it's incredibly cool looking, is versatile in terms of posing (it can worn as a cloak, it can rest behind him, it can be blown backwards when he's running, and so on), adds an incredible dynamism to Batman's movements.

The cape is also hilariously impractical. It would get Batman killed on his first night; it'd get caught in something, or he'd trip on it, or a thug would grab it, or a thousand other things. But no one gives a shit about those, because it looks cool and adds to Batman's character. And thus the same with Wildcat's tape.
#757  August 02, 2014, 07:03:32 pm
  • Haters are toys
Sweet, a point/counterpoint discussion.

he's the dude who runs up to you and beats the shit out of you.

Ok, granted, I can get with that, but, that's also a reason to upgrade hand protection. Tape, might work for him for a few hours, but in a sustained combat situation, it's wholly impractical.

Things that look cool are given much more importance than practical stuff.

They can work hand in hand, with the right people, why not have a go at a redesign?

Making him a stealthy character would be bad for the character.
I'm not saying make him a ninja, but if we're talking about a 'strike team', some level of stealth is necessary.

And this is all besides the point because Wildcat doesn't go on patrols or fight ordinary thugs anymore. The last time he did was probably in the Golden Age or something (he might've done a few in the recent JSA runs but if he did it was very much not a common thing). It's just not relevant anymore, he's firmly a team player now. He'll beat up dudes that the whole JSA is facing, but that's about it.
This is a bad thing, I'm not saying he should be jumping out of the shadows, laying the smack down on purse-snatchers. But a few crime ring busting stories would be awesome, and I think you'd enjoy them as well.

Take Batman's cape: it's incredibly cool looking, is versatile in terms of posing (it can worn as a cloak, it can rest behind him, it can be blown backwards when he's running, and so on), adds an incredible dynamism to Batman's movements.-

-The cape is also hilariously impractical. It would get Batman killed on his first night; it'd get caught in something, or he'd trip on it, or a thug would grab it, or a thousand other things. But no one gives a shit about those, because it looks cool and adds to Batman's character. And thus the same with Wildcat's tape.
:inquisitive: (must....not .....kill)
That's a talk we'll have later.

#758  August 02, 2014, 07:40:54 pm
    • USA
How about now. The cape is not realistic. The cape is impractical. The cape is totally nonsensical if one wants Batman to be a gritty realistic noir hero. Because he's not. He's a man who dresses up as Dracula to fight murderclowns.

And that's good!

They can work hand in hand, with the right people, why not have a go at a redesign?
Because Wildcat's costume is fine and doesn't need a redesign, and it's simpleness works to advance the idea that he's a hero from the Golden Age.

I'm not saying make him a ninja, but if we're talking about a 'strike team', some level of stealth is necessary.
The JSA is not a strike team. They're a bunch of old people teaching some new heroes; they don't really go on patrols, they aren't the vanguard of humanity's defense, and that's good because it gives them a different flavor. The JSA is a purely reactionary team group, they respond to natural disasters, alien invasions and the like. They fight back against the numerous villains who've sworn revenge on them (because they're so old, they've accumulated a bunch). But they don't do the same kind of stuff as the JLA, or the Titans, or any other superhero group.

This is a bad thing, I'm not saying he should be jumping out of the shadows, laying the smack down on purse-snatchers. But a few crime ring busting stories would be awesome, and I think you'd enjoy them as well.
Nah. That's not Wildcat's style at all. He's an old man, he fights exclusively on a team now. Let the young heroes handle that stuff.
#759  August 02, 2014, 09:05:42 pm
  • Haters are toys
The cape is totally nonsensical
Psychological advantage, plus, Nolan, Rockstar game studios have reinvented it.
The 'Cape VS Tape' points are apples to oranges really, there are far better way in comics, film and real life to protect your hands.

He's an old man, he fights exclusively on a team now. Let the young heroes handle that stuff.

That's a comfortable stance, but he wasn't created for that roll, true, characters can change over time, and in very good ways, lord knows batman has-
Spoiler: Face palm (click to see content)

He's not included in New52 right? (I don't know, I'm not feeding the gimmick) However, if you are one who trusts the 'new guard' of writers who changed him into an older character, then why not trust those in New52 who've seemingly erased him from history, to do what is best in this case? Maybe he's coming back, but in another way. Maybe they've plans for him, based on how well he's liked in Arrow.
#760  August 02, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
    • USA
I don't understand what about THE BAT-APE requires a face-palm, that shit is amazing.

But yeah, the cape has had explanations and other uses grafted onto it, but it's still absurd. It's still ridiculous. It's still a dangerous liability. It would snag on every single thing Batman walked by, it would weigh a ton (it's bulletproof and has the gliding capability), and any thug could grab it easily and throw Batman off. But none of that matters at all. It looks cool, who gives a shit. There's no problem with it being impractical.

He's not included in New52 right? (I don't know, I'm not feeding the gimmick) However, if you are one who trusts the 'new guard' of writers who changed him into an older character, then why not trust those in New52 who've seemingly erased him from history, to do what is best in this case? Maybe he's coming back, but in another way. Maybe they've plans for him, based on how well he's liked in Arrow.
Because at the end of the day, Wildcat is just another of a wave of superhero clones flooding the market from the 40s. He doesn't have a super interesting history, or powers, or anything. He's got his kinda cool costume, and that was it. Later writers added the trainer of heroes thing, and there's something there (and even Arrow sounds like it's keeping that). That's Wildcat's unique thing. He's developed into an interesting character over the years. He doesn't need a reinvention.