YesNoOk

DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?) (Read 411771 times)

Started by Edtion, June 05, 2011, 10:00:42 am
Share this topic:
Re: DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?)
#921  February 20, 2015, 11:23:11 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Speaking of Convergence, can we talk about these variant covers "designed by Chip Kidd"?

that's issue one and two of the Batgirl tie-in. The rest of them are the same: some panel art from an another, uncredited artist, with a PhotoShop filter thrown on top (and then that filter is flipped horizontally for issue two). Like, sure, the fading away into nothingness is a neat idea, but Jesus this is pretty terrible all around, and that weirdly fawning IGN interview with Kidd isn't helping anything: oh, so it's pop art! He's just like that lovable Roy Lichtenstein, that scamp! That thieving, thieving scamp.
#922  February 28, 2015, 05:12:57 am
    • USA
So hey guys, remember new 52 Lobo? Here's a preview of his new origin!

as you can see, DC has updated the previous, oh so tired origin (where Lobo kills everyone on his planet as a teen because he's a crazy homicidal weirdo, because what is Lobo if not an absurdly over-the-top parody of grim and gritty anti-heroes) and has instead created a brand new, super cool and unique one where it looks like the king or some other kind of ruler poisons the entire population except for Lobo and this makes him very sad, and doesn't form attachments with anyone because he's hurting really deep inside.
#923  February 28, 2015, 05:41:22 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Everything I've read with Nubo comes off like a parody done by someone with no idea they're writing a parody. It's a very weird experience because I don't know if I've read a shitty comic or an exceptional satire, but it's not compelling either way.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time

Bea

#924  February 28, 2015, 11:00:13 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
What the flying fuck?
Why DC, WHY?

Give us back old Lobo, pretty pretty please with sugar on top. :'(
You are doing so many right things with that new comic book line direction. Bringing back old Lobo would be the frosting of the cake.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#925  February 28, 2015, 07:13:58 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
So hey guys, remember new 52 Lobo? Here's a preview of his new origin!

as you can see, DC has updated the previous, oh so tired origin (where Lobo kills everyone on his planet as a teen because he's a crazy homicidal weirdo, because what is Lobo if not an absurdly over-the-top parody of grim and gritty anti-heroes) and has instead created a brand new, super cool and unique one where it looks like the king or some other kind of ruler poisons the entire population except for Lobo and this makes him very sad, and doesn't form attachments with anyone because he's hurting really deep inside.

but you know, this totally sounds like the first lobo was parodying the grim adn gritty anti-heroes of old and now this lobo is parodying the emo heroes of nowadays.
#926  March 03, 2015, 12:42:24 am
    • USA
I mean, is it really a parody? It certainly doesn't read like one; it just reads like a weird mishmash of oldLobo but with a more dark and tortured backstory and personality. Besides, are emo heroes really that widespread in superhero comics? Wouldn't a more trenchant satire be like, I dunno, a character whose limbs are constantly being ripped off or something (because seriously you can't shake a stick at nearly every DC book without hitting a giant pile of severed limbs)? And I just don't think the stuff oldLobo was parodying is any less relevant than it was 20 years ago; in many respects it's more relevant now than it was then, what with the way DC's been behaving in so many of its books.

I suppose if one wanted a new version of Lobo to parody emo characters, one could do something like, oldLobo discovers he has a son and the son is all emo about how terrible it is to be the son of Lobo and carry the murderous bloodline and all that shit. It would be fun, playing the two off!

Also I guess to be fair, oldLobo was treading the line between parody and being played straight in pretty much everything he's been in that co-creator Keith Giffen hasn't had a hand it. Sometimes he really was written as just another super dark and gritty anti-hero for mature adults.
#927  March 03, 2015, 12:50:37 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
I dropped the lobo book after the first 3 pages where "the Real Lobo" he killed the real lobo off.

He's just like that lovable Roy Lichtenstein, that scamp! That thieving, thieving scamp.

You know, back in grade 7 we were in English class and a the "Wham!" picture was In our text book, kids started asking what comic book it was from because we wanted to see more, I was told that it wasn't from a comic book and it was just a panel.

I remember going home that day and looking it up, and it turns out that guy stole that art and tons of other artwork from other people and made millions off it, that made me really mad. Still does.

I still have to read that comic book.
Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:54:51 am by -Whiplash-
#928  March 11, 2015, 09:13:11 pm
Something new for you guys to complain about: an all-new Batman.

BATMAN #41
Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Art by GREG CAPULLO and DANNY MIKI
Cover by GREG CAPULLO
On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

The all-new Batman makes his debut! Who is he, and what happens next? Find out here as a new era begins in Gotham City!

Interview with Scott Snyder

http://www.newsarama.com/23742-meet-dc-s-all-new-batman.html

Newsarama: Scott, we’ve heard a lot about the three big ongoing things being the Darkseid War in Justice League, plus a “new status quo” in Batman and Superman. So what is this new status quo that we’ve never seen in 75 years of Batman?

Snyder: Well, it’s true that you’ve never seen it. It’s definitely the wackiest thing we’ve every tried. It’s basically the story where I thought, “If I ever do a story out of continuity, I’d love to do this. But there’s no way I can change the mythology to a degree that I could get to this story.” But…here we are. And the thing I love is that it will allow me to explore the characters from angles that are entirely new. There are two characters the story really focuses on, and they’re both in positions where radical, radical changes affect their status quo. And this will allow me to explore the Bat-world in really, really vibrant perspectives.

I’m going into, I guess, my sixth year in Gotham, and things have been so much fun, especially in the last year with [Editor] Mark [Doyle]. And DC is now so progressive with their line and the changes in June that I really feel that right now, it’s the time for us to try something pretty unconventional and risky with the book, because otherwise, we just fall back on playing it safe. This is us saying, “We’re just getting started, and it’s Batman #1.” I promise you, if you get to the end of our 8-page Free Comic Book Day thing and if you don’t think it’s the craziest thing we’ve ever tried…well, I can’t give you your money back because it’s free, but I promise it is unequivocally the craziest thing we’ve ever tried. Period. It just is.

Nrama: And that’s a totally safe bet to make when it’s free!

Snyder: Yeah, but think about this: We’re now stuck with it for the status going forward. We’ll see how it works.

Nrama: I get that you don’t want to say, “Here’s the master plan,” but you mention two characters. Can we safely assume that one of these two characters is Bruce Wayne?

Snyder: I don’t want to say. [Laughs] I don’t want to say! I know this is a new level of coy, but I will say that the mythology will be radically reinterpreted and stretched in a different way. [2014’s] “Endgame” was designed to be my last story on Batman, but if I stayed after “Endgame,” it needed to be transformative, where everything was put aside and reinvented. It’s going to be a new cast. I can say we’re going to bring in characters you haven’t seen in Batman before. We’re also going to play a lot with a lot of the other books—characters from We Are Robin and Batgirl are in the book. You’re going to see Harper and Cullen, characters we’ve created. And there will be a really different feel to it. We actually toyed with the idea of just calling it “All-New Batman” for a while, because it is that different. I can also tell you it’s going to be all-new villains. I want to go back to the spirit we had when we were creating Court of Owls, where there’s new villains, new threats, new cast.

Nrama: I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but watch me do it anyway: Is what you’re talking about a situation of “People will either love this or hate this?”

Snyder: Oh, yeah. [Laughs] Yeah. But I’ve always been that way with this! Look, when we announced we were doing [the 2013-2014] “Zero Year,” nobody was dying for an 11-issue long origin story. I got a lot of angry mail. Same thing when we did Joker without his face, when we introduced a brother to Batman on reinterpreted James Gordon Jr. I got a lot of angry hate stuff about that, about how dark it made Jim Gordon, about how we ruined “Year One,” and so on. So I’ve never been afraid of controversy. But I really believe that the audience now is part of a changing zeitgeist. Five or six years ago, they were more about great fanboy moments and getting re-combinations of classic team-ups. And I love a lot of those stories, and there should be a place for those stories. But I think our audience now, on all the Bat-books, is receptive to creators coming in and doing their own work in a way that’s true to the core of the characters, but still visionary, singular or passionate in ways that are progressive or unconventional.
Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:18:03 pm by Japanese Jesus
#929  March 11, 2015, 10:42:16 pm
  • TEHUH NAYUME EZ HUWK KOO MAWUN
    • Canada
. . .In the second pic he looks like a super buff edgy pikachu.

Just noticed the police lights on his back. I feel this is just going to be a bad robocop version of batman.

Harmony is harmony is harmony is not with us, harmony is not with us. Living hell is coming.

3DS FC: 0232 - 8852 - 3659
#930  March 11, 2015, 11:22:38 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yeah, make it yellow and we got pikachu man
#931  March 12, 2015, 12:51:13 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Looks like a Chappie/The Tick/Master Chief hexafusion to me.

Bea

#932  March 12, 2015, 03:52:12 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
I hope this so crazy thing he keeps talking about on that book means we get to see Bruce and Clark, sitting in a tree, kissing.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

#933  March 12, 2015, 10:33:15 am
Right, and that new Batman is their child. Because of course male Kryptonians can procreate, carry a baby, and give birth.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.

Bea

#934  March 12, 2015, 10:46:47 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org

Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:11:32 pm by Bea
#935  March 12, 2015, 08:04:31 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
I wonder who else will get new costumes.
#936  March 12, 2015, 08:11:08 pm
Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:29:02 pm by Japanese Jesus

Bea

#937  March 12, 2015, 10:50:38 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org

#938  March 15, 2015, 10:38:51 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
It's pretty much the same costume as his "original" new 52 costume before he got the armor, except his has no cape and the logo has black in it.

#939  March 17, 2015, 03:38:45 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:42:24 am by Roman55
#940  March 17, 2015, 03:58:46 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the hashtag #changethecover drew dozens of posts on Twitter and Tumblr asking DC to not release the variant.

better not piss off the dozens.